Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sam Fujiyama
Jan 16, 2001

"But Quince, I have a date tonight!"

perfect posted:

Is my bottleneck the video card or is there another problem I should try first? I installed CoreAVC on the HTPC and it made no difference. I can play the file (albeit choppy) in media player classic, but in VLC it plays for a few seconds, freezes, and then crashes. The file will play choppy on the TV or on the computer monitor as well.

CoreAVC is entirely CPU bound, so your problem is there. Also, make sure you SWITCH OFF X264 decoding in ffdshow because it requires far higher resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Fujiyama
Jan 16, 2001

perfect posted:

so your saying this is CPU related and not video card related?

Also, do you mind explaining how to switch off x264 decoding in ffdshow, i can't find it and don't really know where to look.

thanks

It's most probably CPU related, is all I can say. To switch off x264 in FFDSHOW:

- load up All Programs/ffdshow/Video decoder configuration
- Find the 'codecs' section on the left
- On the right look for H.284/AVC under the Format header.
- Select the decoder dropdown to 'disabled'

If you're serious about using FFDSHOW for x264 streams, try the builds from here http://x264.nl/

Sam Fujiyama
Jan 16, 2001

EC posted:

For anybody interested in using Meedio as a front-end, I would suggest going to MeediOS as opposed to the official Meedio forums. MeediOS is a project to write a new piece of HTPC software from the ground up, utilizing Meedio's ease of use and open plugin architecture. Meanwhile, all relevant discussion about normal Meedio plugins are happening there, whereas the old Meedio forums are just a bunch of bots posting spam. :(

Well, get excited/depressed, because rumour has it that Mediaportal, MeediOS and EMC are due to merge/co-operate. Talks are in progress right now.

Sam Fujiyama
Jan 16, 2001

Ryokurin posted:

They need to get together. Mediaportal as a front in frankly blows, but the TV part is starting to come up to speed. meediOS is the opposite. it would save a bunch of time to merge the two.

You must be way out of date. The front end has no peer, once it's working of course.

Sam Fujiyama
Jan 16, 2001

EC posted:

I'm both excited/depressed. It makes sense for the two projects to merge and become a bigger competitor to MCE, but I've never been able to get Media Portal looking as sharp or as easy to use as Meedio. Granted, I spent more time with Meedio, but that was because there was no big draw for me to go to Media Portal, other than the desire to try something new out. I haven't used the newer versions, though, so I might give those another go.

Here's a bunch of rough thoughts for Mediaportal success (some of them darn stupid but what can you do)

- Ensure the skin you have downloaded is fit for the version of Mediaportal you're running. My advice is Replicant 1.0.4 skin with todays SVN.

- Get the latest drivers for your TV card, so important but so often not done. For your Geforce gfx card, go get the (probably still beta) 93.81 drivers, not the 93.71. Don't try Mediaportal if you have less than a MX5200.

- Go get the DirectX updater from Microsoft, it already has patches from this year. Also check out the DVB patch for multiple tuners in XP (896626, possibly already in DirectX patches but worth checking if poor DVB stability)

- Alway use 'Default DirectSound Device' in the audio settings, the others cause problems. Stupid but true.

- Make sure every codec output is configured towards VMR9 output, ie FFDSHOW switch off overlay output, NVIDIA prefer VMR9 etc. Don't switch on the 'deinterlace' option in TV Mediaportal menu. Use 'VMR Pixel Adaptive' deinterlace mode for NVIDIA.

- If you have codec problems: get Media Player Classic, switch off ALL the internal codecs/filters, set the output to VMR9, then try and play the file. It will probably play the same as in Mediaportal. Sorry, but no codec pack appears to be optimally configured for Mediaportal, so try to learn codec settings, it will save so many future problems.

- Make databases of your music and video. It speeds up the interface if you use views of the data rather than potentially views of a network share directory.

- Expect the visualisation to look crud. Sorry :( It's being rewritten at the moment.

- If you have AMD64 chips (I'm running a X2 4200), you may find the Reclock utitily will stabilise your frame rate significantly. Take a look at your frame rate with the ! key (shift 1 duh)

I've missed out tons of important stuff, but I can help here if people have trouble.

Sam Fujiyama fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 25, 2007

Sam Fujiyama
Jan 16, 2001

Ryokurin posted:

Its slow and it crashes often. Its gotten better, but it still drags under certain conditions on reasonably powerful hardware (x700, A64). They also are just fine with being a clone of MCE. Meedio had a high learning curve but once you got it you could do just about anything you wanted with it. MeediOS is shaping up to be just like Meedio in that aspect.

Again, I think you must be nuts to think this.

- It is hugely expandable and is full of useful plugins.

- It just does not crash, I'm sorry but you are out of touch here. Pre 0.2 was a bitch, but that was then and this is now.

- x700 + A64 3200+ was my setup for a year, it wasn't even remotely slow.

Sam Fujiyama fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 25, 2007

Sam Fujiyama
Jan 16, 2001

Juriko posted:

Umm,yes it does. MediaPortal still has plenty of issues, and still crashes. It is a lot better for sure, but it still has plenty of stability problems in its Release TV engine. It is a million times better than it was even just a year ago, but it is far from perfect.

Not for 99.99% of the normal tasks you would do on an average day. I work from home, and its in use for a good 10 hours a day. General usage is TV, Video, Music, Weather and some games (linked via Mediaportal menus). It just doesn't crash. I'm not saying there aren't ways to crash it, but they most likely fringe activities, like for instance the movie IMDB import broke in SVN recently. It was fixed in about 3 days and improved at the same time.

Juriko posted:

You shouldnt need a system that fast for simple PVR

You don't. I've just setup the TV client version of Mediaportal on my 1.8ghz Pentium M tonight and it's working great (Radeon 9000 gfx). It's also on a Celeron 1.6 w/512mb Lapto.

They won't play HDTV, but that's exactly why you would have such a high spec HTPC.

Sam Fujiyama fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 25, 2007

Sam Fujiyama
Jan 16, 2001

Juriko posted:

I have an amd xp2800, a pvr 150, and a 6600. The tv engine constantly crashes out just when watching tv on top of a fresh install and update of widows and the drivers. I know plenty of people that have the same problem. This isn't about fringe stuff, Mediaportal is still buggy.

Bad luck, you need to run your problem past the general support site, because there's no reason your setup can't work. Have you checked out the advice I gave above? There are some configuration settings that need to be avoided.

I've just setup the TV Server this evening. It's going into 'production' tonight replacing the previous GB-PVR recording setup. Previous attempt failed badly about 2 months ago, but both my issues have been resolved in Mantis. If it goes well I might make a thread on setup, it was pretty painless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Fujiyama
Jan 16, 2001

Anyone checked out the new DirectX version of GB-PVR? Although not open source it is free, so I admire that the owner dared say his product is 1.0 quality.

I love Mediaportal but I don't think they'll ever stick their necks out that far.