Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Not sure if this is the best place to post it, but here goes anyway. How can i play my Youtube Subscriptions as a playlist on my NVIDIA Shield?
I just want to select a video from my subscriptions and have it keep playing chronologically through the rest of them. Bonus points if it can skip watched ones.

This really shouldn't be that difficult but I haven't found a way to do it. I've tried:
- Youtube website on PC, Chromecast the tab in Chrome to the shield. - It just plays the one video then goes off to another random video as suggsted by "up next"
- Youtube on PC, chromecast Youtube to the shield. - It just plays the one video
- Youtube App on shield, navigate to Subs start a video. - It just plays the one video then goes off to another random video as suggsted by "up next"
- https://youtube.videodeck.net on PC, chromecast the Youtube app - Sets up the playlist correctly, plays one video, tries to start the correct next one, but hangs without playing until you close the tab.

Only way I've found is to manually make a playlist or to select each video and manually add it to the Chromecast queue.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

codo27 posted:

A certain batch of rogue mkv files I have wont seek. Not on my Samsung TV, not even in media player classic. What might cause this? They play I just cant do anything but watch start to finish which is a whole lot of fun when your network drops the connection halfway through something

I have this sometimes, normally means that the mkv file is corrupted somehow.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Ixian posted:

It was updated for HDR (app dependent) and Atmos works with apps that support passing it through, like the Plex client does. If you mean native Atmos decoding on the Shield, if you have an Atmos setup you already have a decoder so proper passthrough is all you need.

The Shield is about as forward looking as you are going to get these days. Lack of Prime is its only real knock, just as Amazon intends.

You can install prime video on it now, the colour buttons don't work but apart from that it works fine.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/950524/amazon-prime-on-the-shield-tested-and-working-mostly-/

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

tuyop posted:

It's probably HDMI CEC doing that. Check your tv settings.
Also a recent update of my Nvidia Shield turned on HDMI-CEC power control.

Was quite confused as to why my Harmony profiles stopped working.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

GobiasIndustries posted:

A power outage zapped my HTPC (w10 box, I think an atom processor) so I'm looking for the cheapest possible replacement. I've got three requirements:

1: I used an HP IR receiver for my remote, I need the new box to be IR compatible
2: 5ghz wifi. 2.4ghz is completely out of the question, it doesn't even have to be built in, I'm fine buying a cheap USB stick or whatever, but the 2.4ghz bandwith is too congested where I am to stream even SD stuff
3. Runs Kodi.

Could an android box handle this?

Have you heard about our Lord and Saviour the Nvidia Shield?

(you'd need to add an IR receiver such as the flirc).

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

The Gunslinger posted:

Maybe they will actually ship the Nvidia Spot now. That would be fantastic, I really just want one for voice searching in Youtube and etc.

It kind of sucks that I can't just voice search on my phone and have it piped to the Shield.

Will it integrate with Kodi, i.e. can i say "play the latest unwatched linux iso from kodi"?

...and can i get Alexa to forward voice commands to Kodi or the Shield? or is that one step of integration too far?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

The Gunslinger posted:

I've done DIY and I've done prebuilt (Synology), I suggest you just DIY it. You get better hardware, the prices tend to be the same and you get a lot of future expansion. If you ever need transcoding you won't have to worry about the prebuilts weak rear end CPUs. You will pay slightly more in power and more in your personal time for setup.

If you really insist on prebuilt then get a Synology, their package support is much better and the community surrounding it is huge.

There's a NAS thread in SH/SC if you want more advice.

I couldn't be arsed to build one myself so i just sprung for a new Synology DS916+ with 12TB of HDD and 8GB RAM. I'm going to migrate all my Sonarr/Radarr/NZBGet/Plex setup over to docker images on the NAS instead of running them on my PC.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

5TonsOfFlax posted:

I've recently got a (16gb) Shield, and it's been great, until today. Today, Kodi started randomly stopping playback and falling back to the media selection screen.
I'm playing from an nfs share over WiFi. Again, everything was working fine until today. Makes me think maybe something updated, or it's sensitive to disk space or something.

I tried restarting Kodi, and the shield itself. Still happens.

I found several threads on the Kodi forums that look related, but no actual fixes.
Has anyone seen this, and solved it?

When i last saw this bug it was something to do with wifi discovery and IPv6. Go through to the Shield Android Settings, and play with the "scan for wifi networks" and turning off IPV6. That's what fixed it for me.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

wolfbiker posted:

yes i know they work well when they're configured properly, but as the other guy pointed out they could possibly be a PITA to get working perfectly.

When i configured mine it was trivial. Just told it what devices i had and what settings they should be on for each activity. Took maybe an hour to get it all working, including integrating it with Alexa.

Harmony is honestly my favorite piece of technology that I've ever purchased, it just works flawlessly. Telling Alexa to 'turn on tv' makes me feel like i'm living in the future we've been promised by sci-fi shows for decades.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

wolfbiker posted:

i'm not as enamored. yeah it works but it's not smart enough (TO ME) to be that useful. ALEXA, TURN ON LIVING ROOM TV AND LIGHTS. (nothing happens because you asked it two things at once) ALEXA, TURN ON TV. (nothing happens because it doesn't know where you are) ALEXA, TURN ON LIVING ROOM TV (tv turns on) ALEXA, TURN ON TABLE LAMP. (doesn't understand) ALEXA, TURN ON LIVING ROOM LIGHTS. (all 5 lights go on) ALEXA, TURN OFF LIVING ROOM LIGHTS. (everything goes off) ALEXA, TURN ON LIVING ROOM TABLE LAMP (the one lamp i want on turns on).

When you add the Harmony Skill to alexa you can choose nicknames for your activities to help with this. e.g. I added "Stevie" as a nickname for the "Watch TV activity", so that i can say "Alexa turn on Stevie" as a homage to the joke from friends.

You can also rename stuff in the alexa app to make it more intuitive if you need to. e.g. if the smart device is called "table lamp", then "Turn on Table Lamp" will work fine.

If you assign alexa devices and smart devices to rooms/groups then it will turn on the appropriate devices for that room e.g. If i am in the Living Room and i say "turn on lights", it will turn on the living room lights.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Forum Joe posted:

Question: would a Harmony Hub solve my current problem?

I use a Yamaha amplifier as a conduit to the TV for nearly everything. Plugged into the amp are a Shield, and some consoles. HDMI CDC seems to work most of the time but doesn’t always control the amp well. Eg, if I turn the Shield or the PS4 on, the amp and tv come on too. If I turn the Switch on, the TV turns on but not the amp. If I turn the TV on to watch terrestrial broadcast tv, the amp turns on but sometimes to the wrong input, sometimes turns on muted, it’s weird.
I have a Logitech 650 remote that works so when something stuffs up then I can fix it from the couch (like setting the amp or the tv to the right input) but it’s not as easy for the wife or my parents who come round for babysitting a lot.
Also, I’ve got a google home mini and being able to say “Hey google, turn on the shield” is great, because everything turns on, but it can’t be used to change amp volume, or amp inputs or tv inputs. Would the Harmony Hub support that? And would I need to buy a new remote or should the 650 work with it just fine?

I believe it would solve most of your problems with regards to turning on/off devices correctly, assuming you can position the IR blasters of the hub to shine at the appropriate devices. It should be able to control the volume of your amp, control amp inputs and control tv inputs. (assuming those devices are in the compatibility list linked in previous post).

I don't think Harmony exposes volume controls to alexa/googlehome, so you won't be able to adjust those via voice commands.

I don't know whether you can pair an older remote with the hub, you may have to get a new remote. I purchased my hub as a package with the remote.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

hooah posted:

With a Plex client, is there a way to start continuous play from a specific episode of a show? If I play the episode, only that one plays. If I choose "Play All" from the show menu, it starts at the first episode.

If you let the episode finish it should pop up a countdown and start the next one after 10 seconds.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

codo27 posted:

Kodi seems like such a distant memory.

Keep having this issue with Plex where it doesn't update my recently played properly. Like we're working through a TV show but on deck gets stuck like a season or sometimes several behind so I keep having to find the episode we're actually on. Annoying

This tends to happen on shows with really long credits, (e.g. Netflix rips) plex doesn’t think you finished watching the episode as you’re only 90% of the way through. Select the episode and press ‘mark as played’ and it should sort itself out.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

I don't know if you're in the market for a new TV, but once I bought the new LG OLED I removed the shield from my setup entirely as it runs Plex natively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Does the TV not support HDMI-CEC for power? I think the chromecast can send commands that way to wake the TV up?