Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

perfect posted:

I can play the file (albeit choppy) in media player classic, but in VLC it plays for a few seconds, freezes, and then crashes. The file will play choppy on the TV or on the computer monitor as well.

Doesn't VLC use it's own internal decoders for playback?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lobbyist posted:

Are there any motherboards out yet that will do high bitrate Blue-Ray/HD-DVD decoding with the onboard video or do you still need an extra video card?

I believe Abit makes a uATX one but I haven't heard good things about their reliability.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

evilalien posted:

I think there are currently issues using a PCI-E 2.0 graphics card on the G45 chipset, so I would recommend against going this route at least until this is resolved in a future update. Read the G45 threads on the AVS forums HTPC section for more details. Regardless, with your need to play newer games, you should be looking for a board without integrated graphics.

This sounds weird. The P5Q-E board is the only one I've heard that has problems with it, and it was more a luck of the draw thing. What other G45 boards have this problem?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The latest version of CoreAVC supports Nvidia hardware acceleration which you might find handy

I just swapped out my old Broadwater/ICH8 motherboard and 3450 with an Nvidia 9300/nForce 730i motherboard. I'd have to say I'm pretty drat happy with it. Hardware acceleration and Blu-Rays worked right out of the box with no fussing around. And it has everything I need on board.

quote:

Antec NSK2480, Micro ATX

I use this case in my bedroom computer, but it is not all that small. The triple-chamber thing seems like a gimmick which ends up taking up a bunch more space than need be. Of course it's much easier working in than my Silverstone SG-01, but I don't like the look or size of it as much. The dual 120mm fans also are extremely overkill and loud.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 7, 2009

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Medikit posted:

You may want to hook it up to a rheobus, I use one from sunbeam to dial all my 120mm fans down.

I just undervolted them to shut them up. They're ok now but I think having to undervolt a 120mm fan is stupid on a case that advertises itself as being quiet

Also given that triple-chamber setup of the case (drive bays are in a seperate chamber than the fans), I don't know well a rheobus would work.

quote:

Sounds great, thanks. I don't have any cards at the moment, just an onboard 7100/nforce 630i, despite everyone saying great things, it's pretty choppy during high bitrate scenes or whatever.

I don't think CUDA is supported by 7 series cards

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 7, 2009

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

TraderStav posted:

Good evening goons. I decided to do my brother a favor and build him a HTPC just like mine! However, I let him pick the case and came to discover that the one he picked did not come with a power supply. Not being a hardware guru, I am not sure what is the right output to get to meet my needs. The one in my case is a 500W and I am having a hard time finding an (affordable) one that's in that area. I did some searching on some calculators online and they're reporting I only need 163W in some cases and I think I may have been incorrect in some of my assumptions.

Here is my hardware:

CPU INTEL|C2D E8400 3G 775 45N R
MB ASUS P5Q-EM 775 G45 RT
2 Gigabyte (1 stick) PC2-8500 DDR2
Samsung DVD+-R burner
Hitachi Deskstar 7200 1TB
USB combo Wifi/BT

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have a comparable setup (an e4400 instead of the 8400) and I'm only using a Seasonic 330W power supply

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

revmoo posted:

Can I get by with a CUDA card and a low-end Intel C2D to playback 1080p w/ CoreAVC and Mediaportal?

I run a Conroe e4400 with a Geforce 730i mobo (9300) and playback 1080p just fine

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

FISHMANPET posted:

It can, but just stop it.

Listen to what everybody is saying. I have a $250 Zotac box with an E-350 in it. It plays 720p and 1080p h.264 stuff perfectly. Xvid doesn't need GPU acceleration so that works just fine as well. I can watch youtube (which I do from within XBMC) browse the internet, play stuff from Amazon MP3, etc. I actually haven't done much with music yet, so I honestly can't say what that takes, but I'm guessing no where near what you trying to convince us you need. The interface is perfectly snappy on my machine as well. It's also tiny and whisper quiet.

I had a laptop with the same CPU, and I used it as my primary computer for a few months, it doesn't take much CPU to do things these days.

So if you want to spend over $1000 on something I guess go nuts, or spend a quarter of that and get everything you need.

I'm looking to upgrade my e350 HTPC because it can't play back HD Netflix smoothly at all.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

goku chewbacca posted:

That's a software issue with Netflix and the old version of Silverlight they're using. The newest Silverlight has GPU acceleration that would allow the e350 to play HD Netflix without breaking a sweat.

It's still not offloaded to the CPU so it still won't playback smoothly
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2212511&page=3

I guess it's an issue with the Netflix client but good luck getting Netflix to support the WMC plugin

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 23, 2012

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

FISHMANPET posted:

HD Netflix is the one case where an E350 isn't enough, and that's not likely to change for quite a while. I'm not sure how much CPU that requires, but even an i5 would be overkill. I'm guessing any of the AMD A8 APUs would do just fine at that.

You can kind of work around it by limiting your download speeds to not hit the HD range for Netflix. Or you can use something like PlayOn, which is almost a necessity if you want to use Hulu or Amazon Prime via a remote

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

kri kri posted:

Roku is like $50. A much better option then trying netflix through xbmc or even netflix in windows.

If you buy PlayOn right now you can get a free Roku. I think the cost of that bundle is $79.99. But they don't actually send you a Roku, they just send you an Amazon gift card for $65.

You should be able to use PlayOn no problem in XBMC from what I heard. For WMC, the free plugin doesn't work very well so you'll have to pay $10 more for tubecore. Outside of their being an annoying amount of menus to go through to get to the videos, it's a pretty decent experience.

If you still hate Netflix or Amazon Prime on your HTPC, you can then just use the Amazon gift card to buy a Roku. If you like it, keep the gift certificate for something else

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

signalnoise posted:

How about for HD cable streams if I get a cablecard?

I used a e350 with my HD Homerun Prime, no issues with recording multiple shows while playing back another.

I replaced my e-350 with a Celeron G540. I'm so much happier. I'm not hitting a bunch of random but highly frustrating bugs/quirks/whatever anymore. Plus I have actual CPU power to act as a PlayOn server, can play back Netflix fine, and don't consume much more power either.

quote:

720p/1080p streaming from a Flash based site (Amazon VOD/Hulu/YouTube) = E-350 can do it

Youtube would stutter a bit on mine when I played back some higher quality content

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 6, 2012

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

Whole lotta Shieldchat in the Cutting Cable thread, FYI. It's a well regarded box.

If I didn't have a wife-proofed Xbox/Kinect setup, I'd be running a Shield in the living room.

Do you know how the Live TV and DVR stuff is with Shield? Right now the only reason why my HTPC is still on is for Live TV. I've messed around with some Live TV plugins for Plex and while they work they are also kind of poo poo. The WMC HTPC has been pretty drat rock solid as a cable box but I wouldn't mind replacing it altogether.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ugh, the new Fire TV doesn't do hardware MPEG2 so live TV is dicey for sports and some DVR playback will choke unless I force Plex to transcode it. So much for retiring my HTPC :mad:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

The Shield tv would solve the problems of the last two posts.

I settled for the Fire because I wanted the Alexa integration, I don't really need all the gaming horse power, and I got a cheap bundled Dot on the process. Guess I'll have to go back to needing a Shield

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ixian posted:

There's no "one true device" really. The Shield has come closest to being an all in one, but 4k/HDR, while it works, is something of a mess currently, and the recent Shield Oreo update hasn't fixed that. For "just works" general media playback, if you want to use the Plex client and have access to most other streaming apps, the new Roku's cover probably 95% of those use cases.

Is it confirmed the color space switching stuff isn't fixed in Oreo for Shield? I updated my Shield before I left this morning and all I had time to see is that it reset my resolution/color space setting back to auto (and along those lines, what do I set in order to make 1080p stuff not look bad if it's not fixed)?

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

My ShieldTV doesn't have an explicit option for Rec2020 color space, just the automatic detection option. Is that expected after the update now?