Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K
Jun 2, 2005

Meet me at midnight
Hey people, so I've been researching for the past month or so, getting scant replies in SH/SC and the like.

What I've come up with is a Hauppauge PVR-150, and a VBOX Cat's Eye 100 for HD.

And I'm going to return the Cat's Eye because I mistakenly thought it would be able to work with my HD satellite reciever! Turns out, it will only take over-the-air.

So take this as a lesson, currently there is no way to receive HD from a satellite/cable box unless you purchase and entirely new HTPC system with and ATI Wonder TV Tuner with CableCARD technology. CableCARD and ATI's sweet little gig aren't available OEM, only bundled with certified poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K
Jun 2, 2005

Meet me at midnight

Wonder Free posted:

I guess to answer my own, and that other guy's question, this is the only tv tuner that I managed to find that supports QAM. It also has XP MCE and Vista support, so I guess this is my best bet. All the other HD cards I've seen only seem to support Over air HD, rather than QAM.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815260005

Hold the phone here, this thing will take cable/satellite HD content? I didn't think any existed besides ATI's thing I posted about on the first page.

If so, this has made me a very happy man.

E: Holy oh my god this does support unencrypted QAM. So how does CableCARD fit into this whole scheme? Once again, I'm lost.

K fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 24, 2007

K
Jun 2, 2005

Meet me at midnight

Don Lapre posted:

It doesn't. Whatever you get has to have a cablecard slot, and run vista if you want encrypted hd off cable.

Actually, it does, but you have to use the software that is shipped with the card, if they ship software with the card. If they don't, then you have to do what you've posted.

I've been talking with the guy at PC Alchemy a lot about this. About a month ago I purchased a regular TV Tuner and a Cat's Eye for HD, not understanding this business with unencrypted QAM and the like. I'm filing an RMA with them now to return this stuff, but in the meantime their seemingly one-man operation has been really good about talking me through all of the options and items that are currently available.

MCE and Vista will not take unencrypted QAM no matter what the card, unless you do have a tuner that has a CableCARD slot. Currently, if you want to watch unencrypted QAM HD, you need to purchase a card that not only will take these signals but has software with which to do it. Apparently, most of this software leaves something to be desired, according to the guy at PCAlchemy.

The list of cards that their company carries that takes unencrypted QAM is as follows:

FusionHDTV5 USB Gold
FusionHDTV5 RT Gold
FusionHDTV5 Express
AverMedia A180
AverMedia M780
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950

However, the Hauppauge cards do not have any application software that does QAM, making them useless for this purpose until Vista supports the signal without all this CableCARD hooey.

There is one card, the HDHomeRun Networked HD Tuner, a network attached HDTV Tuner that will allow someone to watch unencrypted QAM with MCE or Vista (without futzing with CableCARD). But you have to use some mapping utility provided which is a bit of a hack, I've been told. I don't know the details of the hack, but unless you want to plop down for an entirely brand new, CableCARD certified HTPC, this is really the only option out there currently.

Keep in mind that this is all within the realm of what PCAlchemy sells, but they're a dedicated HTPC software and hardware company and they have a pretty extensive collection of items; so it's a decent sample to consider.

I was also told that DirecTV and DishNetwork will eventually be releasing TV tuner cards of their own in the future for this very purpose.