Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The Valuum posted:

Try this bud, http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26%23153;+-+37%22+Class+/+720p+/+60Hz+/+LCD+HDTV/1009981.p?id=1218208403795&skuId=1009981

We're looking at a contrast ratio of 6,000 vs 20,000. That sounds like a pretty big difference, that makes the blacks look better right?

Page Not Found

Anyway, you can't go by contrast ratios. At all. They're a bunch of FUD.

If they were tested to some sort of standard, than you would be right. Unfortunately, they don't mean jack poo poo, so your only recourse is to read a review where they actually tested it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004
http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1DVCL_enUS393US393&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Dynex%E2%84%A2+-+37%22+Class+/+720p+/+60Hz+/+LCD+HDTV

2nd result

ho mercy
Jul 8, 2006

Did you mean: dudefarts Top 2 results shown
Quick question - how significantly do prices tend to drop on Boxing Day? Would it be the smart thing to wait? There's a special at the moment for $749 for a Samsung LN46C610 which looks pretty good.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So I have a little mystery I'm hoping a TV goon can solve for me. Walked into Best Buy the other day, and right at the entrance they have a tv set up. It's a new samsung lcd, can't remember the model number but it's going for 850 or 900. They have it playing the new avatar blu ray, and here's the thing: It looks amazing. I can't describe it accurately enough, but the movie looked so smooth and...not real per se but I had to look hard a couple times because it almost felt like I was watching a video game cutscene, it just looked better than anything I had seen on an HDTV before.

So my question is, what was so special about that tv? I know it was a blu ray, there was and HDMI cord involved, and it being avatar probably makes a difference as well. But I'm sure the main factor is the tv. I tried asking a sales person and they gave me some half answer about how their tech guys 'tweaked' the performance of it or something. I saw an ad for it later and it said the refresh rate was 120 Hz, so maybe it has something to do with that?

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

GigaPeon posted:

On Black Friday, I ordered a Samsung UN55C6300 (http://www.abt.com/product/45245/Samsung-UN55C6300.html) only to have it go on backorder.

The sales guy called offering me a Sony HX800 (http://www.abt.com/product/47122/Sony-KDL55HX800.html) at the same price.

I would assume this would be a no brainer, but I don't see anything mentioning Game Mode on this tv. Does anyone have experiance gaming on a this tv or a similar one? An internet review said that they saw input lag of about 50ms, which sounds pretty bad, but wonder if I could really feel that.

If you're a ultra hardcore gamer who pinpoints headshots or plays Street Fighter frame by frame then yeah, it'll be annoying. For most gamers though it isn't a huge deal.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
If you're looking for a new TV, wouldn't you think at this point you're better off waiting until after the CES?

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Kingtheninja posted:

So I have a little mystery I'm hoping a TV goon can solve for me. Walked into Best Buy the other day, and right at the entrance they have a tv set up. It's a new samsung lcd, can't remember the model number but it's going for 850 or 900. They have it playing the new avatar blu ray, and here's the thing: It looks amazing. I can't describe it accurately enough, but the movie looked so smooth and...not real per se but I had to look hard a couple times because it almost felt like I was watching a video game cutscene, it just looked better than anything I had seen on an HDTV before.

So my question is, what was so special about that tv? I know it was a blu ray, there was and HDMI cord involved, and it being avatar probably makes a difference as well. But I'm sure the main factor is the tv. I tried asking a sales person and they gave me some half answer about how their tech guys 'tweaked' the performance of it or something. I saw an ad for it later and it said the refresh rate was 120 Hz, so maybe it has something to do with that?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/181089/does_120hz_or_240hz_really_make_a_difference.html

should explain nicely.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Nichol posted:

I'm about 90% sure I want to buy a Panasonic TC-L37S1. I play a lot of Street Fighter, so the low lag of the IPS panel has me sold, I think 37" is the right size for my apartment, watchable from the kitchen, and from my sofa (which is really close,) and I want 1080p because I am likely to use it as a monitor from time to time.
I'm in Vancouver. Where do I find this television?

Costco near Stadium skytrain station? I'd look online/call first. I think I might have seen it being sold at Costco when I went tv shopping. Too bad my tv is 10" too small, only 720p, and is a X2 instead of S1 because I'd sell it to you :(

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
Cheers! Have to go shopping there soon anyway.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

Yes, it was 120Hz. You were seeing each frame interpolated to take 5*(1/24)s (IIRC). It's an abomination :( (at least for film and video. It's pretty sweet for most videogames). With some LCDs (qualitatively) lacking picture "depth", manufacturers throwing in LED backlights without remembering they emit a different light spectra compared to CCFL, the general public's opinion of "pretty pictar" is sliding towards that :smith:

Anyways, to be helpful, most 120Hz capable TVs let you turn that poo poo on or off, or even adjust it to somewhere in the middle. My LG lets me do on, off or custom, where I can adjust blur and jutter sliders. I always leave it off on the STB input, and leave it around 50% on the 360 input.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

GigaPeon posted:

It's just the nature of an HDTV to have input lag. Most TV's have a "Game Mode" that does its best to reduce it.

Fair enough. How about this then... what HDTV maker is usually known for having the least amount of input lag?

Sony?
LG?
Hitachi?

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

movax posted:

Yes, it was 120Hz. You were seeing each frame interpolated to take 5*(1/24)s (IIRC). It's an abomination :( (at least for film and video. It's pretty sweet for most videogames). With some LCDs (qualitatively) lacking picture "depth", manufacturers throwing in LED backlights without remembering they emit a different light spectra compared to CCFL, the general public's opinion of "pretty pictar" is sliding towards that :smith:

Layman's?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

AzCoug posted:

Layman's?

What you're seeing is called, by Sony at least, MotionFlow (TM) and it basically looks at all the frames your TV is displaying and adds in another frame in between every regular frame for twice as many frames per second. These additional frames are comprised of the two adjacent regular frames blended together.

The end effect is that motion looks a lot smoother and more realistic. I don't like though, and neither do a lot of other folks, because it makes things look too real. It strips the "movie magic" away and turns movies and TV shows into plays, characters into actors in costumes and makeup, and fantastic places and locations into movie sets with cheap props in them.

Basically, to activate motionflow is to activate Soap Opera mode. Everything will look like a low budget soap opera. It's awful.

Don't use it unless you're watching sports or something that you actually want to look hyper realistic.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

GreatGreen posted:

Fair enough. How about this then... what HDTV maker is usually known for having the least amount of input lag?

Sony?
LG?
Hitachi?

Sharp and Panasonic pretty much.

PrimordialSurfer
Feb 12, 2008
So I've finally gotten to the point where looking at my old RPTV fills me with nothing but anger. I've been shopping around for a 55" LED lately, and came across what looks like a great deal on the LG 55LE8500 ($2007 on newegg and $1959 on Amazon). I couldn't care less about 3D, and the only hitch I've had is that some of the review talk about uneven backlight uniformity that shows up as a grid or lines behind bright scenes on the TV. Does anyone have any experience with this set, or any recommendations so I'm not sitting on my couch staring at buyer's remorse in a week or so? Thanks.

LG 55LE8500
newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889005141&cm_re=55le8500-_-89-005-141-_-Product

amazon
http://www.amazon.com/LG-INFINIA-55LE8500-Internet-Applications/dp/B0039RRBQC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292164471&sr=8-1

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

evilalien posted:

Thanks! Are there any 55 inch Sharp or Panasonic TVs with the image quality and black levels of a Sony or Samsung?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

GreatGreen posted:

Thanks! Are there any 55 inch Sharp or Panasonic TVs with the image quality and black levels of a Sony or Samsung?

As gets mentioned over and over, the Panasonic VT25 series widely considered one of the best TVs money can buy, and the Panasonic G25 series is widely considered one of the best price/performance sets. Both are available in 55-inch, IIRC.

Do some more searches on those sets, because there are some downsides to those specific sets and to plasma TVs in general. (Of course there are downsides to LCDs as well...it depends on what is the most important to you)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

As gets mentioned over and over, the Panasonic VT25 series widely considered one of the best TVs money can buy, and the Panasonic G25 series is widely considered one of the best price/performance sets. Both are available in 55-inch, IIRC.

I see, thanks for letting me know.

I've always been iffy about plasma TVs though because of the possibility of image retention and burn in. All I really need to know is whether or not this still happens, and if it does, to what extent.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

I see, thanks for letting me know.

I've always been iffy about plasma TVs though because of the possibility of image retention and burn in. All I really need to know is whether or not this still happens, and if it does, to what extent.

Image retention is still an issue, but it isn't a problem for most people. I can speak from experience as a gamer with a G25, but it pretty much is only an issue after I play games for a longer period of time; over 4 hours at least. Burn-in is not a problem for a home user at all.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I see. I am probably a pretty hardcore gamer by most standards though. I usually play an hour or two a day but on the weekends I can easily log multiple, multiple hours on a given game.

Image retention I am ok with as long as it goes away after a few hours or so and isn't really noticable unless you know what you're looking for. Permanent burn in isn't ok for me though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

I see. I am probably a pretty hardcore gamer by most standards though. I usually play an hour or two a day but on the weekends I can easily log multiple, multiple hours on a given game.

Image retention I am ok with as long as it goes away after a few hours or so and isn't really noticable unless you know what you're looking for. Permanent burn in isn't ok for me though.

Image retention is the only thing that will happen.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

It most certainly does go away reasonably quickly. In my experience a 4 hour session can give image rentention lasting anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour depending on the game. It's only really noticeable when you have lighter solid areas of color on the screen (a blue sky for example).

ballsman
Jun 16, 2003

a fuckin bomb
Grimey Drawer

evilalien posted:

Yup this seems to be the case. Speaking of Sharp I just exchanged my buzzing Samsung for an LC-60LE820UN. I was considering sticking with plasma but gently caress it, the Sharp looks beautiful and seems relatively problem-free (as long as I get one with a decent backlight). Can't wait to have it delivered :)

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Please forgive me, I'm sure this question has been asked, but searches both here and on Google have yielded nothing.

We have a well-reviewed Samsung plasma. We are very happy with it, but I'm wondering about something. My father-in-law got a new TV this weekend, a Vizio LED/LCD. His TV (as well as a Sony LCD demo unit I saw in a Sony store) both had pictures that could be described as looking out a window, bordering on a 3D look. It's so "clear" that my wife said, "It doesn't look like a movie."

Is this a difference between plasmas VS LCDs? Or is it a function of the settings? I made a number of recommended changes on mine while my FIL surely had his on the default setting.

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 13, 2010

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
typically very good black levels is what gives you that 3d pop. You'll find it on high end plasmas and local dimming leds

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

"It doesn't look like a movie."

I'm betting it was this, which can result in a "Soap Opera Effect": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_interpolation

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

KracKiwi posted:

I'm betting it was this, which can result in a "Soap Opera Effect": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_interpolation

That definitely describes it. I'm torn on it though. The window effect is amazing; my FIL was watching The Man With the Golden Gun on Blu-ray and it looked astounding. But it also had that sort of overly precise look mentioned in the article you linked to.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
2 quick questions. I'm shopping for an LCD as a gift for someone this Christmas.

1) When they list the height of a tv in the dimensions does that include the stand or not? The space in their built-in media stand is 26"x37" so I think they're on the border between fitting a 32" and 37"

2) Can anyone recommend a decent 32" in the $400 range? I own a Samsung and typically I'd only look at Samsung, Sony, or Toshiba but I know that in that price range it's entry-level for Samsung so there are probably other brands I should consider. LG? Panasonic?

Thanks in advance.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Finally bought a HDTV. Found a Panasonic TC-42S2 42" Plasma TV for $649.99 at Best Buy. Decided to go Plasma instead of LCD because between my brother and I, we do do a decent bit of gaming.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

MMD3 posted:

1) When they list the height of a tv in the dimensions does that include the stand or not? The space in their built-in media stand is 26"x37" so I think they're on the border between fitting a 32" and 37"

Check the manufacturer website, they usually list dimensions with and without stand since people are wall-mounting more often these days.

MMD3 posted:

2) Can anyone recommend a decent 32" in the $400 range? I own a Samsung and typically I'd only look at Samsung, Sony, or Toshiba but I know that in that price range it's entry-level for Samsung so there are probably other brands I should consider. LG? Panasonic?

At $400 you're only getting 720P in a 32" unless you run across a big sale. LGs are good as well, take a look at the LG 32LD350.

Brisco County
Jan 14, 2008
No ma'am, that's who I am.
Looks like Best Buy has a pretty good deal on Samsung LED-LCD's this week, and I wanted to get some opinions. They've got the UN55C8000 set, which is a 55" edge-lit set with local dimming, has apps, and 3-D for $2499. It comes with two sets of 3-D glasses, a bunch of Shrek movies I have no idea what I would do with, a Samsung 3-D Blu-ray player, and a wireless LinkStick for the TV itself. The set alone has been going for $2899 for the past couple of months, so a $400 reduction on top of including all of that stuff seems like a solid deal.

However, I know that CES is less than a month away now, so I'm curious if this set is likely to drop in price significantly after the show. I don't mind waiting - I'm still rocking my now-ancient Samsung DLP from 2004, and it still more or less works fine. It's getting finicky about firing up if it's been turned on and off several times within a day, but if it's allowed to rest for a few hours, it always comes back on. It'll probably be usable for a while yet, but I'm not planning on using it as my main set much longer.

Any thoughts on this sale, or likely post-CES pricing on 2010 models would be much appreciated.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

Brisco County posted:

Looks like Best Buy has a pretty good deal on Samsung LED-LCD's this week, and I wanted to get some opinions. They've got the UN55C8000 set, which is a 55" edge-lit set with local dimming, has apps, and 3-D for $2499. It comes with two sets of 3-D glasses, a bunch of Shrek movies I have no idea what I would do with, a Samsung 3-D Blu-ray player, and a wireless LinkStick for the TV itself. The set alone has been going for $2899 for the past couple of months, so a $400 reduction on top of including all of that stuff seems like a solid deal.

However, I know that CES is less than a month away now, so I'm curious if this set is likely to drop in price significantly after the show. I don't mind waiting - I'm still rocking my now-ancient Samsung DLP from 2004, and it still more or less works fine. It's getting finicky about firing up if it's been turned on and off several times within a day, but if it's allowed to rest for a few hours, it always comes back on. It'll probably be usable for a while yet, but I'm not planning on using it as my main set much longer.

Any thoughts on this sale, or likely post-CES pricing on 2010 models would be much appreciated.

Check out the 9000 model. It is loving awesome and you can get it for around $3,000. Personally, I am waiting for the 65 inch 9000 model price to drop and I am going to get a couple of them.

Brisco County
Jan 14, 2008
No ma'am, that's who I am.

poofactory posted:

Check out the 9000 model. It is loving awesome and you can get it for around $3,000. Personally, I am waiting for the 65 inch 9000 model price to drop and I am going to get a couple of them.

Wow, I didn't even know there was a 9000 series model. After checking out the specs, I can't see much of a difference feature-wise aside from the 9000 being thinner and having a different base. I'm assuming that there must be some other, non-listed differences to distinguish their highest-end model, right? The 9000 apparently originally sold for drat near $6000, so there's gotta be something special there.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn
From what I could tell after looking at them side by side is that it is thinner and the picture is a lot sharper.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

devmd01 posted:

Check the manufacturer website, they usually list dimensions with and without stand since people are wall-mounting more often these days.

At $400 you're only getting 720P in a 32" unless you run across a big sale. LGs are good as well, take a look at the LG 32LD350.

isn't 720p fine in a 32" though? I thought you didn't start seeing the real benefits of 1080p until you got up around 40".

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Lot's of questions on the motion interpolation stuff If a mod/admin wants to ninja link this/paste this into OP:

What is motion interpolation / why did that demo TV look so "good", "real", "fluid"?

As most of us are aware, what we consider "video" is made up many individual frames played back in rapid succession. For NTSC (North America + some other areas) television, this was 29.976 (round to 30) frames per second. Hollywood cinema, or "film" is 24 frames per second. The reasons behind these are historical/technical, but the important thing to know is that today, in 2010, you still have a mix of 24fps and 30fps content (funnily enough, the ATSC standard among others supports a laundry list of framerates, including both 24 and 30fps).

So what's this motion interpolation thing do? Say you're looking at a demo unit in the store, with Avatar or something playing on it. It seems so real, life-like, "fluid", soap-opera like. The TV is performing an unholy process known as motion interpolation.

Avatar is a Hollywood film, filmed at 24 frames per second. It's stored on it's BluRay in a bunch of 1920x1080 frames that get played back 24 at a time, every second. So what is this TV doing? Well, at 120Hz (chosen because it's a multiple of 60Hz, which in turn comes from the analog NTSC field rate), the TV can throw 120 frames at you a second. 120 frames divided by 24 frames is 5. 5 times as many frames! What to do with all those extra frames? Why, create new content of course!

Let's borrow the Wikipedia visual aid here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Motion_interpolation_example.jpg). To fill those 120 frames, new frames are interpolated from the actual content. So for that horse trotting along, the TV mimics our brain's persistence of vision and is like "oh hey, this frame will have the legs slightly moved over here, and that frame will have them moved slightly further, and on and on...".

Your HDTV, using algorithms derived from years of engineering and R&D work, is literally making educated guesses (hundreds of times per second) to create frames to fill in the gaps between the actual content, resulting in your brain being force-fed 120 unique images instead of 24. So that scene of the Na'vi kicking the poo poo out of the evil walker things, on that demo unit looks to you to be fluid, life-like, whatever because of the magic of motion-interpolation.

Now, I'm going out on a limb and assume most people reading this post are older than 3 years old. Of course this poo poo is going to look different to us, we all grew up with NTSC or PAL standard television. It all boils down to personal preference. Some people will instantly fall in love with motion interpolation and can forgive the occasional glitches from a computer chip interpolating new frames hundreds of times per second. Others (like me) find it a bit un-natural and off-putting, and prefer to let our fleshy brains and our persistence of vision do the job for us.

Lucky for you, you can turn this option on/off at your leisure. But if you know you hate this feature, then you can save a few hundred dollars, and get a TV that lacks this capability. Though, apparently, once you get married, I hear there's a wife approval factor that outweighs any technical arguement you make.

Surely there is some good to come out of this mess
Yes, as fellow goon pimpslap points out, such material like sports or other high-motion material can indeed benefit from this! Additionally, like he mentions, you can pull off some reverse pulldown action and recreate that film-look from regular TV material.

If 120Hz is awesome, 240Hz is awesome-er, right?
120Hz is legitimate. 240Hz is kind of snake-oil-y depending on the maker. Some do some additional backlight strobing trickery. Others simply utilize their 120Hz algorithm and methods on crack. Personally, I don't think it's worth the premium. If you actually like the effect of 120Hz interpolation, then buy a 120Hz TV.

Hey wait you gently caress, 24fps does not go into 60Hz evenly :smug:
Absolutely correct. The magic sauce is 3:2 pulldown. Some say 3:2 pulldown on a 60Hz LCD is fine. Others like the result of a 120Hz LCD taking care of pulldown and interpolation. Personal opinion I guess.

This is all dumb, I never had to worry about this with my rear-projection CRT TV/CRT
:smugdog:

e: ^^ the 9000-series Samsungs are boner-inducing. So. Thin. :awesome:

e2: MMD3, check out this resolution chart:

movax fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 13, 2010

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Is it okay to clean a plasma screen with Windex or other glass cleaners, or should you stick to water?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

Is it okay to clean a plasma screen with Windex or other glass cleaners, or should you stick to water?

Just stick with water. Windex and other chemicals can eat anti-glare coatings.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

evilalien posted:

Just stick with water. Windex and other chemicals can eat anti-glare coatings.

You know what's sad? When well-meaning relatives or family members "clean" your screen for you with said cleaners :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pimpslap
Nov 27, 2002
new home, old colors, same Arsenal

movax posted:

60/120/240 interpolation

A good summary, however it should be mentioned that 120 and 240 are definitely worth it for sports broadcasts. Additionally some sets have a reverse 3:2 option (Sony calls it Cinemotion) which can make movie broadcasts (on cable or sat broadcast at 30 fps) look more cinematic. A combination of interpolation (Sony calls it Motionflow) and reverse 3:2 can look quite good (ie not have soap opera effect, but also not have judder) on cable/sat broadcasts. For Blu-Rays, definitely turn them both off.

• Locked thread