Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine

nate fisher posted:

I couldn't find a thread to fit this subject so let me try in here. I am thinking of dropping Comcast TV for Direct TV while keeping Comcast Internet. I have two questions:

- What is the goon vibe on the Genie (I am going to do Genie plus 3 mini Genies)? Is the HD Streaming smooth? Reviews look great, but some of these comments (which I shouldn't read) have my slightly worried.

- How does Direct TV handle doing an install if I have to keep using RG-6 coax for my cable internet? I would rather them run a new line for my internet and take over the current RG-6 for Direct TV (a lot less work).

Comcast is going to charge me $69.95+tax to keep Ultra Internet (which is outrageous), but I should save at least $2500 in the next 3 years by switching my TV (and getting rid of TIVO).

I'm a contractor who does installs for DirecTv; essentially I'm the one who shows up, does all the wiring and dish installation, then hooks up your boxes and activates them.

I can say from my experience that I have not seen any problems or had any customers call me up about HD streaming. I wouldn't consider it an issue.

About the install and existing cable/keeping Comcast service(s). Technically, as an installer, we are supposed to replace and/or rerun all own coax lines. We are only allowed to re-use existing coax if it meets DirecTv requirements, i.e. it is RG-6. As someone who does installs, we absolutely use existing wire whenever possible. If there is RG6 coax present, and it goes where I need it to, I'm using it, unless my using it would disrupt other services. Basically, whoever does your install should put up a dish, bring the line from the dish to wherever all your coax come together, then put in a splitter and hook up your existing lines to it. It should not be a problem for the DirecTv guy to leave the single Comcast run intact to maintain your internet. Make sure to ask if the tech is putting in a BBD, or Broadband DECA unit. It is a small box that connects your Genie system to your Comcast internet and gives you our On Demand service along with letting you do Facebook, YouTube, Pandora, etc. through the Genie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weezy88
Sep 25, 2006
Anyone know off top which LED HDTV this day and age has the best screen uniformity? I'm talking no flashlighting, no bleeding, no banding. Obviously something full array and with local dimming but I can't seem to find but 3 TV's that still offer that.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Weezy88 posted:

Anyone know off top which LED HDTV this day and age has the best screen uniformity? I'm talking no flashlighting, no bleeding, no banding. Obviously something full array and with local dimming but I can't seem to find but 3 TV's that still offer that.

That's cause there are only like 3 TVs that still offer that.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

noface posted:

Learned the hard way that a TV (or really any display) that is an actual 120Hz display cannot be used at that refresh rate as a monitor when your signal is carried over HDMI or DVI-D (I think possibly dual link DVI-D too?), and has to be a Display Port connection (for 1080p signals at least).

Had purchased the Dell u3011 about a month ago but decided I wanted 120Hz, a bigger screen, and a lower resolution (1080p versus 2560x1600) since I didn't want to commit to such beastly GPUs, and ended up purchasing the Panasonic TC-L39EM60, which I believe just came out. The picture is very nice, but the input lag seems kind of horrible which kills it as a monitor (mouse lag is noticeable, which I'm sure I can't handle). So that's getting returned as well.

Anyone have good recommendations on TVs that have low input lag and work well as monitors? Looking anywhere from 30 to 42 inches, would like an established brand (Panasonic/Samsung/LG/Sony/Toshiba), and 1080p. Native 120Hz would be nice but I have a feeling there aren't going to be many TVs with Display Ports.
How picky are you on input lag? For me, I just bought a 2012 model of Samsung UN60ES7500 60-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Slim LED HDTV. Since it's native resolution is 1600:900, when you hook up your computer to your TV via DVI --> HDMI, the TV (and desktop resolution) must be set at 1600:900 or proportionally lower resolution for minimal input lag. Same goes with computer games, I had to change all my game settings from 1280:1024 to 1600:900 or 1280:720 in order to have minimal input lag.

When I say minimal input lag, I mean as a former hardcore gamer to now casual gamer, it feels like there is no input lag. I have no problem playing games like Skyrim or Mass Effect 2 or Half Life 2 with any issues. I also use a wireless mouse and a wireless keyboard without any kind of off-putting lag.

If you click the link I provided and scroll down on the product description, there will be a table with a list of multiple Samsung TVs of various sizes of various specs. Of the two weeks I had this TV, I've been very happy with it as a computer monitor.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

themachine posted:

I'm a contractor who does installs for DirecTv; essentially I'm the one who shows up, does all the wiring and dish installation, then hooks up your boxes and activates them.

I can say from my experience that I have not seen any problems or had any customers call me up about HD streaming. I wouldn't consider it an issue.

About the install and existing cable/keeping Comcast service(s). Technically, as an installer, we are supposed to replace and/or rerun all own coax lines. We are only allowed to re-use existing coax if it meets DirecTv requirements, i.e. it is RG-6. As someone who does installs, we absolutely use existing wire whenever possible. If there is RG6 coax present, and it goes where I need it to, I'm using it, unless my using it would disrupt other services. Basically, whoever does your install should put up a dish, bring the line from the dish to wherever all your coax come together, then put in a splitter and hook up your existing lines to it. It should not be a problem for the DirecTv guy to leave the single Comcast run intact to maintain your internet. Make sure to ask if the tech is putting in a BBD, or Broadband DECA unit. It is a small box that connects your Genie system to your Comcast internet and gives you our On Demand service along with letting you do Facebook, YouTube, Pandora, etc. through the Genie.

I missed your post so sorry. That is pretty much what happen. The installer used my current RG-6 for the whole house, and left the internet connection alone. Outside of the mini-Genie getting stuck on a gray screen I had no issues at all (outside of learning a new channel line-up). Yes I did get a BBD. My favorite thing so far (besides the Genie) is, unlike Comcast, it basically has HBO Go on the Genie. Re-watching Rome. Thanks for your response.

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine

nate fisher posted:

I missed your post so sorry. That is pretty much what happen. The installer used my current RG-6 for the whole house, and left the internet connection alone. Outside of the mini-Genie getting stuck on a gray screen I had no issues at all (outside of learning a new channel line-up). Yes I did get a BBD. My favorite thing so far (besides the Genie) is, unlike Comcast, it basically has HBO Go on the Genie. Re-watching Rome. Thanks for your response.

No problem. Yeah, the Genie boxes have a lot of cool features that Comcast can't even touch right now. If your mini-Genie boxes ever act up, like with sound or picture, goto the main Genie box, open the flip door on the front right hand side, and press the little red button. In case your tech didn't tell you, that will reset the whole system, which 99% of the time fixes any issues with the mini-Genies.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Hi, I'm working on my bedroom and I want some advice. I spend a lot of time in here and listen to music, as well as playing games and watching movies. I currently have the following basic equipment, for what it's worth: gaming PC with sound card goes to a basic amplifier, which powers a pair of bookshelf speakers and an Outlaw M8 subwoofer.

Anyway, my goal here is to fit my bedroom with a bed facing a TV with a suitably nice sound system. My viewing distance is only 2.5 meters or less, so it seems like a 42" 1080p TV would be good. Besides that, I'm trying to figure out the best way to juggle an LED TV, a soundbar or other center speaker if necessary, and an HTPC. It looks like it could be possible, with some trickery, to mount a TV, soundbar, and HTPC or Mac mini all to one large wall mount, but I don't know if this is a good idea at all. Thoughts?

edit: More research shows that there are some products that could allow me to wirelessly hook up my TV and PC, but I'm not sure they're a great idea either.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 10, 2013

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Looking for a TV (plasma or LCD) that has really good black levels and is at least 46" for under $1000.

Don't care about games, smart tv features or 3D. Any suggestions?

e: realized there's a new thread, sorry

catch22 fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 21, 2013

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Is there a goon-recommended antenna? I'd like to at least be able to grab my locals in HD.

Thanks!

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

dexter6 posted:

Is there a goon-recommended antenna? I'd like to at least be able to grab my locals in HD.

Thanks!

It depends on your location and the location and power of the transmitters for the channels you are hoping to receive. Put your address into https://www.antennaweb.org and https://www.tvfool.com and see what they say. Of course TV reception, especially digital TV reception, is a YMMV situation so even after you get an antenna you will probably have to do lots of tweaking (which means trying different positions and orientations for you antenna, trying both with and without amplification, and trying different antenna designs) to get consistent reception on all of the channels you want to recieve.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-LC-60LE550-60-inch-Aquos-1080p/dp/B00CW7VS96/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1378703710&sr=8-4&keywords=60+inch+tv

vs

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-60PN6500-60-Inch-Plasma/dp/B00BBAG0FM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378706851&sr=8-1&keywords=60+inch+tv

Which seems to be the better TV/price? OP seems to be badly outdated and doesn't mention LEDs from what I can tell. I've been using a 50" Sharp Aquos LCD for 4 years and have been very satisfied with it but just want something bigger and possibly more energy efficient.

I need it for HTPC and gaming. Don't need any smart TV functions.

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 9, 2013

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

This is the old thread, try the new thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523461

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Is there a TV/Home Theater Remote thread somewhere I'm not seeing? My brother has a Harmony remote, but now has more devices than that remote will support. I don't even know if Logitech is still the only game in town. I've never liked their interface (although my brother showed me they do have a web interface that is, sadly, better than the application they made), so I was wondering if something else outclassed them finally.

EDIT: Crap, I just saw the post saying this is the old thread. Sorry. I just saw all the posts in the last few days.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So my ST50 no longer turns on, all I get is the power light flashing red 3 times, I assume this means it's broken pretty bad, any idea based on the 3 flash pattern what specific component has failed. I tried googling various phrases to no effect other than hey your hosed.

a cat youtube
Jun 25, 2013
So Ive been interested in upgrading my current LG tv which is an "ok" entry level lcd tv with one of the panasonics plasma lines.

Ive called around to best buys near me and if the person on the phone was correct a store near me has a new in box tc-ps60, the 42 inch model for 350-400ish.

I assume the 42 inch model is exactly the same as the 50 just smaller? and exactly how bad is it in a brightish room ? Is there somewhere online I can see how it looks in the sun?

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
EDIT: Duhr, old thread.

StickFigs fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 17, 2014

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Can anyone recommend me a modest HDTV?

Laugh all you like, but my only TV is an old-style, monolithic 32-inch set with a built-in DVD player and VCR (yes, really). I bought it in grad school around 2007 when HD was still very pricey and just before they stopped making that kind of set. It's in pristine condition and works perfectly, but I have dragged that lead-heavy monster with me from move to move, and I'm kind of tired of it. So, I want to get an HDTV keeping the following in mind:

1) I don't watch television, and it would be almost entirely for gaming. I just got a WiiU and would like to profit from HD quality, but I also have a Wii, X-Box, and PS2 that use A/V cables. I know that the Wii can go HDMI, but I'm not sure about the other two and in any event I don't want to have to buy HDMI inputs for 3 systems.

2) I don't need nor want a huge one: 32 or 35 inches is plenty.

3) 720p is fine. 1080 sets always seem to cost a lot more and it's pointless for me to put a lot of money into this.

4) I would *really* like one that has the built-in DVD player. My TV stand is full up on gaming consoles without even considering my new WiiU, and I don't have room for a separate DVD player. Yes, I know that a lot of consoles play DVDs, but I would really like a built-in optical.

*) Just to check... you can plug A/V cables into HDMI ports, you just don't get HD quality - is that correct? I've been stuck in the past for so long that I'm rather out of the loop on this.

So, any suggestions? I'm about to move again and I want to leave the beast behind and just have to move a relatively light flat screen in its original box.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 11, 2014

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I always tell people to check Best Buy's Clearance/Open Box site if they need a flat screen and aren't picky about specs:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17301&type=page

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

HDMI ports need HDMI cables, period. If you need some, order them cheap from monoprice.com

Edit: this is the old thread, new one's here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523461

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

Posted this in another thread, but it seems this is where I should have put it:

I currently have this Samsung TV that is at least 4-5 years old now and I'm thinking of getting this LG model. It's pretty cheap and I'm wondering how it compares with my current. I don't really know what to look for. I don't care about smart/3D functions, I just don't want to get it and find out that its missing something essential that my current TV has. Like I read somewhere that it's 50hz and I'm not sure how good that is when playing games, or am I just getting it confused with something else.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bat duck posted:

Posted this in another thread, but it seems this is where I should have put it:

You had it right the first time. This one's old as poo poo. Post here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523461

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
JVC and Samsung are both releasing or working on FALD sets. The awful period of edge lit lcd's is almost behind us.

• Locked thread