Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
This is an artist I'm looking for, rather than a song.

Maybe 8 or 10 years ago, I watched a YouTube video of a punk rock concert, professionally shot with bright (possibly static; minimal programming at best) lighting in a fairly small indoor venue (crowd of 200, maybe less?). Going by the video quality, it was contemporary. I believe the idea was that this was an artist who had been mildly famous in the genre in decades past (going by his age, the 90s?), and was doing a kind of one-off "remember me?" show. I suspect the singer was the only original artist onstage, with randos on the other instruments.

Singer looked like modern-day Mike Muir, but heavier. Oversized t-shirt and shorts, I think.

The reason I remember this is because the singer gave the most phoned-in excuse for a live musical performance I have ever seen. Clearly, this was meant to be fairly high energy music, but he was straight-up just speaking the lyrics, movement limited to taking a step or two back and forth, expression/body language of "I'm here, pay me". Homeless people leaning against buildings put on a better show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
What's the track at 45s here? Feels like it should be obvious but can't remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eED8IAv_Ac

Edit: nevermind, figured out where I know it from. Too obscure to share

morestuff fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 31, 2022

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I was recently introduced to a Japanese band called トモコDeath and I would like to know more about the people involved if anybody has any information on them.

Here's a youtube playlist of their stuff my friend put together. We can't find any info on these people but we're really curious to know more.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Proletarian Mango posted:

I was recently introduced to a Japanese band called トモコDeath and I would like to know more about the people involved if anybody has any information on them.

Here's a youtube playlist of their stuff my friend put together. We can't find any info on these people but we're really curious to know more.

Found this - https://www.reddit.com/r/tomokodeath/comments/laox64/an_ad_from_a_festival_mag_featuring_a_translated/

who knows if it's true. cool music though!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the last track of this mix is very non-electronic, anyone know it? searching for the lyrics gets me nothing

https://soundcloud.com/deep-house-amsterdam/robag-wruhme-dha-fm-mix-465

head58
Apr 1, 2013

There’s a link to a track list on the soundcloud page. https://www.deephouseamsterdam.com/dha-fm-mix-465-by-robag-wruhme/

Is it Moonrider from Ada?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

head58 posted:

There’s a link to a track list on the soundcloud page. https://www.deephouseamsterdam.com/dha-fm-mix-465-by-robag-wruhme/

Is it Moonrider from Ada?

oh whoops totally missed that! thanks

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Synthetic Hermit posted:

This is an artist I'm looking for, rather than a song.

Maybe 8 or 10 years ago, I watched a YouTube video of a punk rock concert, professionally shot with bright (possibly static; minimal programming at best) lighting in a fairly small indoor venue (crowd of 200, maybe less?). Going by the video quality, it was contemporary. I believe the idea was that this was an artist who had been mildly famous in the genre in decades past (going by his age, the 90s?), and was doing a kind of one-off "remember me?" show. I suspect the singer was the only original artist onstage, with randos on the other instruments.

Singer looked like modern-day Mike Muir, but heavier. Oversized t-shirt and shorts, I think.

The reason I remember this is because the singer gave the most phoned-in excuse for a live musical performance I have ever seen. Clearly, this was meant to be fairly high energy music, but he was straight-up just speaking the lyrics, movement limited to taking a step or two back and forth, expression/body language of "I'm here, pay me". Homeless people leaning against buildings put on a better show.

Sounds kind of like when Mike Doughty revisited the Soul Coughing stuff "the way it was supposed to be played" and it was not very good. But he's not really punk.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Sounds kind of like when Mike Doughty revisited the Soul Coughing stuff "the way it was supposed to be played" and it was not very good. But he's not really punk.

Nope, this was a big heavy guy, no beard, didn't play guitar.

farcry
Jan 18, 2006
I downloaded a song off limewire or kazza back in the day it claimed to be by iron maiden but clearly was not. The title was inside you and the main lyrics were let the devil out. I've been trying for years on Google YouTube and lyric sites but have had no luck. It was a bit growly and shouty but not to any extreme

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

farcry posted:

I downloaded a song off limewire or kazza back in the day it claimed to be by iron maiden but clearly was not. The title was inside you and the main lyrics were let the devil out. I've been trying for years on Google YouTube and lyric sites but have had no luck. It was a bit growly and shouty but not to any extreme

You might have some luck cross posting to the metal thread?

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
From a YouTube comment on a recent Whang! video:

quote:

This was a rap song, by a literal family, who presumably sung songs about wholesome family topics. I'm 90% sure the name of the song was "The lickin' stick" and it was about being punished with "the lickin' stick" for misbehaving. I found this song browsing someone's napster collection, so this had to be the year 2000 or older. While the song was very funny to me, I do believe that it was sincere and not meant as a joke. The song itself had a kind of rudimentary late 80s, early 90s sound, but that could just be because it was amateur, and at the time it was common for unhip people to still associate rap with that simpler 80s style flow, and the more sound module/drum machine type of beats. I've tried searching for this many times over the years and I think the terms are too generic to yield results. For instance, I tried to just find family rap groups, but there's a million groups using family in a more slang term like The [something] family but they are not literally related. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Fuck yeah cinema is finally dead
Trying to remember a band and it's driving me crazy. I have extraordinarily little useful information:

British
Indie / kind of post rock
Some instrumentals on the album
Early 2000s (maybe even late 90s)
One of those bands the British music press went apeshit for and proclaimed the second coming of the Beatles for exactly one album
2 guitars / bass / drums and I'm pretty sure the bass player was a ring in for touring
Would probably be used in an ad for a mid price Japanese plug in hybrid hatchback if released today

Edit: the band was doves and the album was lost souls

Kingo Ligma fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Apr 15, 2022

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
There's a song by local punk band The Suburbanists and I don't remember the title, but it has a sound bite at the the end from a movie of someone whispering, "Hey, I think we have to kill this cop."
I'm looking for that sound bite or what movie it's from.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
You might have better luck in the movie version of this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3910996

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Anyone know this song? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzP9hbLzOD4&t=8744s

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Joan posted:

Anyone know this song?

Minecraft OST menu 2
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qe4aS95_PsU

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

I thought it was something from Minecraft but couldn't figure out what. Thanks

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

This might be too little detail but, it used to be one of the top results if you just naively searched 'industrial music' on YouTube, intro was slow, music video was pretty low budget and was mostly a malnourished-looking individual with white person dreads shouting at the camera while a strobe light went off in the background, artist or song title had 'psy' somewhere in it I think

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I need help finding a YouTube playlist I came across in 2014. It was called "something different" I think, and had some great tracks on it. Here are a few that I definitely remember being on the playlist.

Nirvana - Lake of Fire
Doomsquad - Waka Waka
Blank Realm - Cleaning Up My Mess
Annie - Antonio (Berlin Breakdown)
Hot Chocolate - Cicero Park
The Wytches - Digsaw

Is there some way to reverse engineer these songs to find that playlist again?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I'd really love if someone knew what song was used in this advert:

https://youtu.be/W5QclbSQYyQ

It's clearly an NZ song going by the lyrics - but googling the lyrics gets me nowhere. Any ideas?

E: of course as soon as I post this I find a comination that Google likes.
It's That's Where I'll Be by Rob Ruha

simplefish fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 22, 2022

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
J-pop/rock song I kept getting in my youtube feed last year:
• Single woman artist
• She played drums in the video
• Video starts with some hipster-looking white dude pounding on the wall yelling at her in English for playing music.
• She winds up like breaking the wall or yanking him through a hole and knocking him out.

Sorry, don't remember more.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Anyone know what the hell this is?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Something very weird. I'm not the best at sheet music and I really only know my instrument, so take a whole bag of salt, but that's some confusing notation. The things that look like superscript staples above the notes mark it as downstrokes and the little numbers specify fingerings (e.g. 3 above a high C would mean shifting to play it with the third finger). It never has more than 4 notes being played at the same time, and usually less, so it's probably for some instrument with 4 strings (or courses of strings)...

It's in B-flat though, which is more of a woodwind thing, like I think that's just how clarinets do natively. Usually I bump into that when it's supposed to match a voice ; I know some fiddle tunes in B-flat but they're like weird rear end folk stuff from back before keeping your instrument in tune and not drinking in the morning were invented.

drat interesting. Where'd you find that?

(Note : I'm not a very good musician so I could be talking out of my rear end.)

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Looks like Habanera -L'amour est un oiseau rebelle (Si Je t'Aime) - from Carmen, by Bizet.

Not sure from what instrument. 's got chords, so probably not a woodwind. Not piano. Some sort of string adaptation.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Abugadu posted:

Looks like Habanera -L'amour est un oiseau rebelle (Si Je t'Aime) - from Carmen, by Bizet.

Not sure from what instrument. 's got chords, so probably not a woodwind. Not piano. Some sort of string adaptation.

Lmfao it actually is! Mostly!

I do actually play violin but didn't mention it because I didn't expect anyone to take the question seriously - if I had actually tried playing it I would've figured it out :negative: I'd just completely forgotten this was a thing. Bizet's sheet music looks very different at first glance because Sarasate was a show-off, and I'm extremely mid at reading sheet music anyway. I falsely assumed that if I tried to play it I wouldn't recognize it. Just goes to show, right?

Anyway thanks!!!!!

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

A long-rear end time ago I saw a gif of a dude (I think he was black) eating bills of money. The dude was (at least part) real, the money was cartoon animated, think Run the Jewels (the clip). It was part of a French rap music video, I think some more animated stuff happens including some black goop trying to take over. It was shot in a bleak old industrial place, like a closed down factory. Anyone have any clue?

Leandros fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 3, 2022

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Leandros posted:

A long-rear end time ago I saw a gif of a dude (I think he was black) eating bills of money. The dude was (at least part) real, the money was cartoon animated, think Run the Jewels (the clip). It was part of a French rap music video, I think some more animated stuff happens including some black goop trying to take over. It was shot in a bleak old industrial place, like a closed down factory. Anyone have any clue?

That brings back memories

https://youtu.be/o_1a7mn-Hac

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
That video has fewer views than I would have expected by like a hundredfold

Probably helps that the actual song is like 90 seconds long

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Answered in under 15 minutes even though I misremembered a fair bit :aaaaa: thank you goon!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

not a track but a question about vocals used in one

actionjackson posted:

does anyone know where the vocal samples in this track are from? a bit too generic to find through the search I've done, I just get various general religion sites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0LaE2U5FOs

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
could also try this if it's taken from something https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3910996

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
Anyone know what the track in this video is or where it is from?
Timestamped at 5:50:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsLJZyih3Ac&t=350s

I'm thinking it might be from some game but I can't place it

E: I was right! It's from Plants vs Zombies.

Catpain Slack fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 13, 2022

Power_13
Jan 10, 2007

mama mia!
I'm looking for a vinyl single that I found in my dad's old record collection when I was a kid. My dad was born in the 50s, so it must be from the 60s/70s I guess. I've asked my dad about it, but he doesn't remember it at all.

The front cover was an illustration. It was a hippyish looking guy - long hair (blond I think) , bandana, flowers in hair. There was another guy behind him. There was a 'sheen' to the whole thing, as if we were actually looking at a mirror image - I think the front hippy guy was the musician, the bloke behind him a stylist or something? And hippy guy was looking at himself in the mirror and giving his approval.

There was a folded popup thing inside the cover like you'd see in a popup book, so when you opened it up a hand popped up giving the peace sign.

The only lyrics I remember are from about halfway through the song:
"Grow your hair real long, write some real long songs
Its gonna be tough"

I thought it might be Clifford T Ward, but I've looked and can't find it (plus he had dark hair, not blond - though I could be wrong about the hair colour).

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Power_13 posted:

I'm looking for a vinyl single that I found in my dad's old record collection when I was a kid. My dad was born in the 50s, so it must be from the 60s/70s I guess. I've asked my dad about it, but he doesn't remember it at all.

The front cover was an illustration. It was a hippyish looking guy - long hair (blond I think) , bandana, flowers in hair. There was another guy behind him. There was a 'sheen' to the whole thing, as if we were actually looking at a mirror image - I think the front hippy guy was the musician, the bloke behind him a stylist or something? And hippy guy was looking at himself in the mirror and giving his approval.

There was a folded popup thing inside the cover like you'd see in a popup book, so when you opened it up a hand popped up giving the peace sign.

The only lyrics I remember are from about halfway through the song:
"Grow your hair real long, write some real long songs
Its gonna be tough"

I thought it might be Clifford T Ward, but I've looked and can't find it (plus he had dark hair, not blond - though I could be wrong about the hair colour).

I googled those lyrics and found this but I'm not sure it matches any of your album fold description

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgs6Z-MRF-A

Sound right?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Killingyouguy! posted:

I googled those lyrics and found this but I'm not sure it matches any of your album fold description

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgs6Z-MRF-A

Sound right?

Here's the artwork from the single, fwiw:

That's pretty close to the description

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Allyn posted:

Good lord

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Allyn posted:

Huh! the lyrics sites would not show me it.

and yeah,

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
According to that video description, that guy co-wrote both of Mike & The Mechanics' huge hits, "Silent Running" and "The Living Years"

Definitely makes me think Mike was doing most of the work there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Upbeat one hit wonder female pop song from 10 years or so ago, got plenty of mainstream radio play. All I can remember was the jist of the song was "I don't want you back you suck" or something "edgy" and "in-your-face" like that and half of the lines where punctuated with "unhh" or "yeah" yelled by the singer overlayed into the track. Does this ring any bells?