Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic

Admant posted:

I downloaded this mp3 segment from an NS server awhile back and haven't been able to identify it. Rythm guitar in the background and what I guess is a violin up front.

http://rapidshare.com/files/33583117/rock2.mp3

MMAgCh and Pootaemos were right, it's definitely Apocalyptica. It's the song Path off the album Cult. It's an original song, as well, not a cover or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Lil Danzig posted:

Edit to add: Something of my own here -- Remember that horrible Peter Gunz track "Uptown Baby"? What's that sample from anyways? It's obviously just a jack, and I love that beat, but can't stand the song, so I'd like to know where it came from.

After a bit of searching, Wikipedia's article on deja vu tells me it contains samples of Steely Dan's Black Cow and Jerry Rivera's Amores Como El Nuestro. Not sure which would be the one you're looking for. EDIT: Definitely the Steely Dan song after checking.

Popcorn posted:

Animated potentially Wal-Mart ad

Oh drat, this is gonna bother me for a while because I can see the commercial in my head and hear the song but can't for the life of me remember enough to go searching. Though something makes me think it wasn't Wal-Mart.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Phrog posted:

I need help identifying an Ozzy Osbourne song. I didn't get the chance to hear virtually any of the lyrics, and what little I did hear was muffled by the retail environment I work in. What I do remember though is the long guitar solo at the end that has a melodic structure that sounds almost exactly like the refrain from "I Will Survive" by Aritha Franklin. Sorry that that is so little to go by.

While that is very little to go on, I'm assuming I can narrow it down to Ozzy songs that get radio play, and I therefore have a hunch that it might be Mr. Crowley because it's the only one that springs to mind with a long solo at the end and I can sort of see the "I Will Survive" comparison.

Also I Will Survive was Gloria Gaynor not Aretha :shobon:

EDIT: Sorry that's a pretty poor quality video.

Velocirocktor fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 5, 2007

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

The Patient posted:

Can someone please identify this Rush tune?
Youtube Link

That's La Villa Strangiato off of Hemispheres. The video cuts off the first and last like 90 seconds or so. I had to ask my Rush-nut friend because despite sounding familiar, I couldn't place it.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Du5k posted:

Every time I hear this song on the radio I prey they tell me the artist of the song or even the name but they always either cut to a commercial or to a new song. I believe it was made in the early 90's. Its a rap song but its got a reggae feel to it. I cant understand a drat thing the person says but I think the first part of the chorus says "Return of the Man". This lyric is also repeated threw the entire chorus with some other stuff throw in like, "Yeah".

Is it maybe Mark Morrison - Return of the Mack?

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Zack Vank posted:

I've been trying to find a song that sound like it was recorded in the 60s///it's got a deep voiced man singing about a drug using hippie who tricks a girl into marrying him, and the main phrase he comes back to is either "hippie in a blender" or "hippie in a blunder," I'm not sure which.

Googling for "Hippie in a Blender" and "Hippie in a Blunder" both return songs by someone called Johnny Buckett, and they seem to be talking about the same song, and "blunder" seems to be the right title. I couldn't really find anything more than mentions of the song though so I don't know how much it helps. It was apparently a single on Fortune Records.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Google search says it samples Sister Nancy's "Bam Bam".

Also drat that guy sounds like Biggie.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

From Earth posted:

I suspect that this will be rather easy, since I think it's a classic rock songs (or at lest I heard it on a classic rock radio station), but Google isn't much help.

Like I said, it's a rock song, with a bluesy sound to it, and a male singer with a grating voice. The only line that I know (which makes Googling pretty hard) is the chorus line, which I believe goes something like, "We're gonna BAM, dam dam doodle, all night long". I'm probably embarrassingly wrong about the actual wording of this line, but I hope someone here at least recognizes it.

Sounds like Wang Dang Doodle. The chorus goes "we're gonna pitch a wang dang doodle all night long." Here's what I think is the original by Koko Taylor, a woman with a grating voice, and it's been covered numerous times so it might be one of the covers if that's it.

EDIT: Beaten while adding details :\ And I was wrong about the original anyway.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Rodrigo y Gabriela probably.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

WantlessPonder posted:

Okay, this description will be very vague. But the song is a pretty famous rock song. It's a song that most of you would recognise immediately upon hearing it. From what I can remember, it's also pretty mellow and up-beat and I don't remember there being any electric guitars, so it's (probably) acoustic.

The only line (I think it might be a part of the chorus?) from the song I can seem to remember goes, "... and when the [something] plays that melody...". Not sure of the wording but it's something like that. Again, sorry for the vague details.

Are you thinking of Dobie Gray - Drift Away? That's what came to mind immediately for me.

edit: on second thought, I'm thinking not. I think I can hear the song you might mean in my head but it's not coming to me.

Velocirocktor fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 28, 2008

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Lantern Fish posted:

I was in the post your phone number thread and a goon phoned me and played "I Am Ironman" it was a cover done in a really jokish/high pitched voice. I can't find it anywhere!

Are you talking about The Cardigans' cover of Iron Man?

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Joe Anglican posted:

So, it's copycat crap (the heavy piano and rock drum set were also a giveaway). Don't look in the Classical section, you won't find it. Most likely culprit: bad video game music imitating Carmina Burana but using text picked at random from the Requiem Mass or else obtained using Babelfish.

Could also be from one of the glut of symphonic metal bands, as that's exactly the sort of thing the put in as intros/interludes on their albums. Doesn't ring any specific bells, though.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

snookieofaegis posted:

One idea I got was to just find the cd again, but I can't on amazon. Are there any databases that would keep track of cds, even if they are out of print?

You could try http://www.gracenote.com/ which is the proprieter of CDDB (Compact Disc Database), but I'm not sure how handy that is because I'm not familiar with how easily you can search in the context of trying to find out what albums a classical tune is on. Worth a try though, I think.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

The "arty pretensions" sounds like The Tea Party to me, they were a fantastic pretentious band. Could be a number of bands though. Any further description, maybe a uniqueness to their sound or a comparison?

edit: vvv gently caress I don't know how I always overlook the Hip. If it's anyone it's probably them.

Velocirocktor fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 22, 2008

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Ghosts posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lzhv949RiY&fmt=18

Holy poo poo what's the name of the sample at the beginning
much thanks to whoever can help

That's Huit Octobre 1971 by Cortex. Funny timing you should post this as I came across the song pretty much randomly a couple days ago. Baader-Meinhoff, man.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Loofa08 posted:

This thread is way too long for me to read through. Hopefully this hasn't been asked. In Tom Petty's dvd Running Down a Dream, near the middle to end, there's a song that they're singing live. They're talking about how their guitar player Howie died. The lyrics go something like "I'm going dooooowwwwn" and I've looked all over for this song, I can't figure out what Tom Petty song it is.

Any chance it's a cover of Jeff Beck's Going Down?

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Unique request: I need to know the classical song that another song is based off of.

Right now I'm listening to "Mozart & Madness" by Savatage.

I'd like to know what classical piece this is supposed to be a rendition of.

Help!

The middle bit is based on the beginning of his 25th Symphony (you'll recognize it right away) but aside from that I believe it's actually an original piece.

edit: by "his" I mean Mozart, obviously

Velocirocktor fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 17, 2009

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Sammyz posted:

At one point I thought it might have been this, but it alas is not.

The song I am referring to is slightly faster than Rainbow in the Dark.

Maybe a bit of a long shot but it's not Doctor, Doctor by UFO is it? The tempo and sound seem to fit and it has the phrase "can't you see I'm..." in there. I can't remember if UFO's singer's voice is "pretty high" or not, though, I'm so used to hearing Iron Maiden's cover of it.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Searching the Google for 'zouave je m'appelle' leads to a song called Le Zouave Du Pont De L'alma (which doesn't translate to your title) by a guy named Claude Lemesle, the first line of which is "Je m'appelle Octave". The only sample I found is a cover by a guy named Serge Reggiani, and kind of a goofy sounding one at that, so I don't know if that's it, but here's a link anyway.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Googling lyrics led to Animal Nitrate by Suede

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

I think you're looking for The Veer Union.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

I need help identifying a song my friends and I heard at a bowling alley last night and couldn't peg. It was a classic rock song, mid-tempo, and it had a piano playing a simple riff over and over, from the intro onward. Very similar to Hold The Line by Toto, which is what I thought it was at first but I was listening for the chorus to make sure and I didn't hear it. My friends thought it was a Kansas song, which it could be. There's also a decent chance that it was, in fact, the Toto song, and the bowling was loud enough that I missed the chorus. At any rate the bowling was loud enough to make it hard to pick out lyrics so I can't Google anything.

Basically I'm asking for songs that sound similar to Hold The Line to see if it was something else or I just missed the chorus. Given that it was on their playlist it's very likely a decently well-known song that gets/used to get a lot of play on (classic) rock radio.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Ivan Drago posted:

Someone was looking for a song that sounded like Dio's "Rainbow in the Dark" a couple pages ago so I mentioned Toto's "Hold the Line", which has always sounded similar to me. Maybe I'm just crazy though. I guess I should recommend the Dio song to you. It has a simple synth riff that plays over and over throughout parts of the song, but aside from that I doubt it's your song.

Definitely not it, I'm a big Dio fan and would have known right away if that was it. My friends are certain it was Hold The Line after they listened to it so I'm reasonably satisfied I just missed the chorus. Thanks, though.

Starno posted:

This song has been stuck in my head for days, I'm sure one of you will know it.

It's The Go! Team - Get It Together, which you may or may not have heard in the trailers for Little Big Planet.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Velocirocktor posted:

I need help identifying a song my friends and I heard at a bowling alley last night and couldn't peg. It was a classic rock song, mid-tempo, and it had a piano playing a simple riff over and over, from the intro onward. Very similar to Hold The Line by Toto, which is what I thought it was at first but I was listening for the chorus to make sure and I didn't hear it. My friends thought it was a Kansas song, which it could be. There's also a decent chance that it was, in fact, the Toto song, and the bowling was loud enough that I missed the chorus. At any rate the bowling was loud enough to make it hard to pick out lyrics so I can't Google anything.

Okay I hate to pull this up again but I heard a bit of the song again last night and now I know it wasn't Toto, which my friends and I had settled on it being. There was a line in the song that I believe was the start of the chorus that said "so good to see" or "it's so good to see" or something very similar to that, but I can't come up with any clever form of that to search to find it and I don't remember any other lyrics. Singer had a high-ish voice, definitely classic rock type. Think Kansas, Cheap Trick, that sort of thing.

Any ideas?

edit: and it's not So Good To See You by Cheap Trick

Velocirocktor fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 18, 2009

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

No, that's not it. The piano was a little more up front and the song was a little less driving, though the tempo is about right. This is driving me way more nuts than it should. Thanks though.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

I'd wager you're talking about The Mars Volta - The Widow

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

TheOneOutside posted:

Nah, the vocals sound a lot more artificial.

It's not 21st Century Schizoid Man is it?

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

An iTunes ad popped up on the video saying it was El Wray from the Planet Terror soundtrack

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

No idea of the song, but it's definitely by either Mars Volta or At The Drive In (same lead singer)

Yep, Mars Volta. Cut That City from the Tremulant EP.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

I'm looking for a particular spaghetti Western song (almost certainly by Ennio Morricone) that starts off with what sounds like native american screaming (in a musical war dance sort of way). I've looked through a bunch of his stuff and keep coming up empty.

I'm thinking it's the title theme from Navajo Joe

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

DwarfCatBreeder posted:

I heard a song from here and I can't find it now. It was a music video, really heavy metal. Anyways these two kids were walking around throwing up blood on skaters, and just being goth kids. Then they are in a garage and it's changing from the kid version of themselves to the adult version. I can't remember the name of it. I'm not normally a fan of metal but I liked this one.

You're looking for metal thread favourite Nephicide by Jogger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Basket of Kittens posted:

EDIT: This ytmnd has it, mixed with 3 other songs, it's the piano you can barely hear over the other songs:

http://moonspin1.ytmnd.com/

Am I focusing on the wrong part or are you looking for Axel F?