Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.
I might not even recognise this song if somebody manages to figure out what it is, but I'm looking for a song that was popular last October or November. It played on 94.7 in Portland a few times and I thought for sure that it was Interpol but the DJ said otherwise. There may have been a line about cutting or bleeding or the beach or killing his girlfriend. Sorry it's so vague, but I can assure you that whoever it was sounded almost EXACTLY like Interpol.

The other song I'm looking for was in a commercial for (probably Dell) laptops and every scene featured a different colour with a different laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

pillow pants posted:

I'm pretty sure you're talking about she wants revenge.

Yessss, good job, thank you. And that guy sounds just like loving Paul Banks and his band sounds just like loving Interpol.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

What is the name of the song in the episode of Scrubs where everyone tries to ask Dr. Kelso for a favour because it's his anniversary, and he can't refuse anybody's requests? It's the one played when he comes in in a good mood and dances around. It sounds kind of like Mambo Italiano, I think.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

bigperm posted:

These are the songs from that episode, see if any of them are it.

"In The Mood" by The Glenn Miller Orchestra

Thanks!

I have another one. I heard it at about noon today on 94.7 in Portland. It was a live version of a slow, acoustic, very happy song sung by a male. The main gist of the song was about staying inside because it's raining and ignoring the alarm and cuddling in bed, I think. The last few lines of the song were lyrics to Stir It Up by Bob Marley. It was a pleasant little song, but for some reason it's not on their playlist on the KNRK website.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Nutsngum posted:

Im attempting to remember a song that i think is mid 90s era grunge/country rock. The only lyrics i can remember sound similar to "down by the river". The verses are sung almost yelling.

The closest song i could compare it by would be Runaway Train just that it seems to be a similar kind of country influeced melancholy song, are around the same time and the same kind of band would be behind it.

Hope this is enough info.

Umm, maybe that song Down by the Water by PJ Harvey?

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

WXYC's website has the current playlist, but their FAQ states:

WXYC posted:

Can you tell me what song I heard two days ago at 3:36am?

Sure — we keep logs of every song played during almost all of our programs. Just email wxyc@wxyc.org with the date and time that you heard the song (be sure to specify am or pm). It also helps if you can describe what the song sounded like (genre, lyrics, or other details) or what kinds of songs were played immediately before and after. We'll do our best to identify the song and get back to you as soon as we can.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

"The song playing while Peter parties with Cleveland is called Axel F also known as the Beverly Hills Cop theme."

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Ramagamma posted:

Ok heres the details of the song i'm looking for.

Theres a section of the chorus where the word "saturday" is repeated like 7 times. Possibly followed by "what a day".

A friend of mine believes it was sung by Elton John although i'm vaugely familiar with his works and a google search only turned up a song by him called "Saturdays Alright (for fighting)" which isn't the song i'm looking for.

Any suggestions?

Maybe Bay City Rollers, "Saturday"? Although, honestly, I don't have speakers right now and haven't heard that song in years. All I can picture in my head is the Elton John song, so I may be way off.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Talor posted:

An incredibly 80's song they play on the local oldies station. I'm not sure what the heck the guy is saying but it sounds like "Mineral Rice." It sounds so random for a guy to be singing about it, but I can't think of anything else he could be saying. There's also some breathy voices saying "Mineral Rice" too. It's also pretty slow and sappy sounding, in that 80's sort of way.

Help, please. It must be pretty popular because they play it all the time.

LOL, maybe Peter Gabriel, "In Your Eyes"?

Edit: Ahahaha, mineral rice.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

I heard this song fairly regularly on the radio in France. Something along the lines of 'Everybody's in love today, any way you got to, any way you want to' or words to that effect. It's stuck in my head and Google has offered me no clue. :(

That was on a commercial in the US for a phone or something; I think it said it was somebody with a name like Mika or something and the song is named "In Love Today". Pretty sure it was a Verizon commercial.

chachu fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 16, 2008

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I'm trying to ID a spoken-word song I heard on the radio. It was played back-to-back with Michael Hall's "I Had a Girl in Dien Bien Phu", also a mixed spoken/sung piece (http://www.michaelhall.org/songlyrics.htm for sound clip).

The song I can't ID had a man describing how he went on a date with an older woman, how they drove up into the hills about LA in her expensive car. Then the women climbs all over him while explaining some sort of life advice about relaxing and living in the moment. It was spoken word piece, maybe some singing (or more melodic speaking) on the chorus where he repeats the woman's advice. Vaguely ethereal electronica-type backing, if I recall right.

The "Dien Bien Phu" song linked above somewhat resembles it in style, but it was a little less stylized in the speaking, music was a less trippy and more relaxed, etc. I looked over some other Michael Hall songs and didn't recognize it, so I'm not thinking it's the same artist on a different album, but perhaps someone in a similar genre.

Does that ring a bell for anyone?

I think I know which one you're talking about, but I really don't know who does it. The guy talks about how she drove up Mulholland Dr, right? They play it on 94.7 sometimes.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

Where is this from... the lyrics go as follows:

"it's a crazy mixed up world
it's a doggy dog world
everybodys shacking up
married folks are packing up
countries going up in smoke
where is noah with his boat"

I don't have an answer for you, but it's "dog-eat-dog world". I remember making that exact mistake when I was younger, and my entire family laughed at me over it. :( Now I never forget.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

alcoholiday posted:

Also, what's that really happy sounding, fast Cure song with the upbeat synth line? Not "Close to Me,"- it's more of a sawtooth wave. I think it's from their later stuff but I'm not sure. It's almost pop-punky but kind of dancy too and it might have a I-V-VI-IV chord progression or something similar. I've gone through their top 50 on last.fm and I'm pretty sure it's not any of those.

I don't know anything about the chord progressions, but is it Inbetween Days? It's pretty similar to Close to Me.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Hopefully somebody knows this, since I know both the band and the song title.

I had a copy of Broken Social Scene's Shampoo Suicide on mp3 many moons ago then my computer crashed and I lost it. It wasn't the version off the album--seems to me I remember it being a live version, maybe from Detroit, but I can't find anything like that anywhere. It was way better than the album version. I hope somebody knows. :(

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

I heard a song on the radio today, and I'm sure it's a newer song. I only know one song by the Shins, but it sounded kinda like them, I guess.

The beat kind of goes

bom bom bom bom bom bom baaa

The only lyrics I remember were "but I'd like to think that I'm making the most of it" and "days get shorter and the nights get long" or something along those lines.

I'm sure this one should be easy to get. :) Thank you.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

PissFilledCumBubble posted:

Modest Mouse - The World at Large?

Yes, thank you! Every time I hear a song that I like, it ends up being by Modest Mouse. My collection of their mp3s is getting bigger every day. Thanks.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

pacheco posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ycjY3Yu-NQ

Would anyone know the gladiator/opera/choir song that starts at 0:54? I've looked through all 2500 comments, and all of them are wrong. Any help would be appreciated!

I know it's not the following, even though some say it is in the comments:

Fugees - Ready or Not
Mozart - Greensleeves
JayZ (lol) or 50Cent
Enya - Boadicea/Sleepwalkers Paradise

Sounds kind of like the beginning to O Fortuna, but I'm pretty sure it's not. It's something pretty similar though, and it might be a part of it that they just don't usually use in films/commercials/etc. I hope that helps, but probably not.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Fpenguin posted:

can someone please tell me what song is playing in this vid?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrZr-QZbfxo

Sigur Ros' "Saeglopur".

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

I'm gonna go ahead and say that it's probably MGMT's "Time to Pretend", one of my favourite songs right now.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Okay, I heard a song on alternative 94.7 this morning and have no idea who it is. It's pretty upbeat, but the (male) singer is kind of whiney. The first words are something like "she don't know something something" with stress/whine on "know". The last line of the verse before the chorus is "you know she just don't caaaaare", then during the chorus a guy is sort of singing along with the tune and going "doo, doo-doo, doo-doo doo doo doo, doo, doo-doo, doo-doo doo doo doo" etc. If it helps any, I believe the song is somewhere in between 7 am and 11 am on this page:
http://www.mediabase.com/whatsong/whatsong.asp?var_s=075078082075045070077&MONDTE=6%2F7%2F2008

Edit: Actually, I think that list is for the June 7th, so no wonder I can't find it. Now I'm wondering why they only have 06/06, 06/07, then 06/09. That hardly makes any sense.

Edit: FOUND IT. The Kooks - Always Where I Need To Be.

chachu fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jun 9, 2008

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

jeff8472 posted:

Looking for a song that sounds kinda like Enya or something, with a constant woman's voice singing doo doo doo doo throughout the entire song. Its very monotone and a steady beat.

Suzanne Vega, "Tom's Diner"?

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

jeff8472 posted:

Nope, slower than that. The doo doo doo part is a constant pitch and tempo throughout the song.

Is it late 90s?

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Pweller posted:

This may be a longshot, but it's a song I heard in a bar on an isolated beach at night in Thailand while I was drunk and having a very enlightening moment with someone, I'd really like to find it if I could.

I only distinctly remember a couple things about the song, that the singer/male was a very fast talker and was singing practically nonstop. He had a soft voice, sounded like Mika (might have been), and the music was mostly a soft organ maybe synthesizer playing upbeat/quickly, reminded me of something Jamiroquai might play.

Any guesses or leads?

I don't think this is it, and I have no idea what Mika sounds like, but maybe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7Fl2yWalH4 ?

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

I need help with identifying an artist since I am drawing a blank on the name. I saw a video a few months ago of a little tiny live show with Elliott Smith doing some duets with some chick. She was in a band of her own that I think had a name that might have been a type of bird or maybe something with "ruby" in it? She had a really soft, spidery voice just like his, and she was a little chubby. They sounded really great together and were doing all Elliott's songs. Who was it?

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

:) Perfect, thank you.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

I heard a song on my local indie station the other day, and the only thing I can remember is that it's a male singer saying "it looks like you've seen a ghost". I've heard it a bunch of times, so it's definitely not obscure. It's driving me nuts. He might be saying "what's the matter, friend, it looks like you've seen a ghost". Thanks. :)

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

scandoslav posted:

chachu, that's The Airborne Toxic Event - Sometime Around Midnight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJi2z3tGKIg

thank you. :)

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

I heard a song today on my local alternative station with a female vocalist, and it was semi upbeat. The only lyric I remember is "where do you get off telling me ___" or something similar. I don't know who to compare it to, maybe the Yeah Yeah Yeahs or Les Artistes? Thanks.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

YouDummy posted:

Legion of Rock Stars

http://www.dailymotion.com/popular/fibbox/1

Ooooh my god, these guys are amazing. Thank you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA1ZwqZVYQg&feature=related

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Banano posted:

Heard a song on the radio today (UK) that sounded kind of retro modern with a a big chunky hammond organ riff and catchy vocal hooks. It sounds like something I ought to recognise, but a quick trawl through the itunes store has yielded nothing. Definitely sounded like a current band.

Help me nmd!

I want to say that it's the Coldwar Kids - We Used to Vacation but I don't hear any organ in there. It's probably not it.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

I have a copy of Ugly Cassanova's Sharpen Your Teeth, and it has Things I Don't Remember on it. I have another, much better version of the song on a mix CD that sounds like it's from the studio instead of live like Sharpen Your Teeth's version sounds. Where is this version from?

chachu fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Dec 21, 2008

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

PissFilledCumBubble posted:

It's on this sampler, I believe:

http://www.amazon.com/Infecting-Galaxy-One-Planet-Time/dp/B00008UVD3

Oh wow, thanks! I didn't really think anyone would know. I get super anal about labelling my music, and this one was driving me nuts.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Bean_ posted:

No. Its not Rick Astley. The song I'm thinking of has a kind of melancholy feel to it. The real similar factor the song I'm looking for has almost the exact same bass line as the intro I linked.

Pet Shop Boys - What Have I Done to Deserve This?

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Eyeball posted:

What I first thought of was West End Girls. So, yeah, pretty much anything by the Pet Shop Boys would be on that list.

Oops, that's the one I meant! I posted my reply without actually listening to the Pet Shop Boys youtube first. Glad that was it.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Panzerschreck posted:

koo ka koo ka koo ka ka CHIA

It's a female singing something that sounds phonetically like that. I don't know any lyrics from the rest of the song. Google is not helpful.

Is it an indie song? Was it upbeat or slow?

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

SkaWes posted:

This is kind of a combination identify a song & identify an album type of thing.

I remember a year or more a go I listened to an album that I enjoyed, but I don't remember much about it anymore. All I can remember is that I think there was a general haunted/ghost theme on t. I think one of the songs was definitely about a ghost, and the only thing I can remember is that I think there was an old/haunted house on the cover of the album.

Anyone got any ideas?

It doesn't have a haunted house on the cover and is indie pop, but the Unicorns have a few songs with ghost or haunted house imagery in the title. It's probably not it, but it is the first thing that came to mind. What genre was it?

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Frontalot posted:

I've heard this song dozens of times over the course of my life on radio stations, but it never really popped out at me until yesterday...and now I can't find it for the life of me. Anyway, I'm not sure how the rest of the song is, but at some point most of the instrumentation cuts away except for the percussion, which hits at a slow druggy pace while the vocalist croons in a deep voice something like "I'm gonna keep on lovin' you..." Unfortunately, it was on the store radio and the volume was low so I couldn't get anything else out of it. I believe it's from the '70s or maybe even '60s.

EDIT: Also pretty sure the rest of the song has a bluesy vibe, but I could be wrong.

EDIT #2: It's not by REO Speedwagon, Teri Desario or B.B. King.

REO Speedwagon - Keep on Loving You, maybe I guess?

Edit: Crap, didn't see your speed edit. Sorry.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Tuff Ghost posted:

I hear this song all the time at the store I'm remodelling. It sounds like its off one of those muzak CD's with 70's and 80's hits that most retail stores plays.
It sounds like some sort of Caribbean music. one of the lines goes something like "eee ahh mama" repeated and then a women singing something in english but with a caribbean accent. I hear it all the time but don't know what it is.

I really really doubt this is it, but who knows. It's from the 80s, at least?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNDrFTLl27w

Edit: Oops, nope, early 90s.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Femur posted:

I apparantly missed this thread because I suck: but I wonder if any of you could help me out.I don't know the name or can't give you a sample, but I think it might be well known:

I usually hear it when a story about "medieval" time is about to happen, like opening to a medieval story, or just a parody of medieval time. It's basically string instruments only- and maybe a flute? I can't think of the last specific time I've heard it, but I know it was on an episode of Animaniacs. It's soothing, so it's usually used to open up to a story, and is not used in fight scenes.

I had the song once many years ago, but lost it, for some reason, leaf and golden comes to mine as the title, but can't find anything.

I can only think of them playing Greensleeves for all medieval scenes on most shows; that's not it, is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Riptor posted:

There's a song WBCN in Boston has been playing a lot recently.... it sounds a whole hell of a lot like The Clash but I'm not sure if it is. It has a chorus something to the effect of "rockin til the .... here. Something something something out of heeeeeeeere". Then towards the end there's a sample of Baba O'Reilly by The Who. Any ideas?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baba_O%27Riley#History says:

quote:

In the album Folie à Deux by Fall Out Boy the song "Disloyal Order of Water Buffaloes", featured the famous chords from Baba O'Riley.
but I don't know the song so I don't know if that's it.