Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
I've got sort of a weird one -- it's a song from the early to mid '80s that tended to pop up in the vast majority of "upbeat comedies" that made it to the movie screens around those times. Unfortunately, I don't remember the lyrics or the vocal melody, but the main "theme" of the song was a synthesizer riff that used a similar vocal-sounding "uck" patch as the Nu Shoes song "I Can't Wait" that was also popular at the time

the song was around 120 bpm and relentlessly upbeat and here is the main melody as best as i remember it. any ideas?

code:
1  e  &  a  2  e  &  a  3  e  &  a  4  e  &  a  |  1  e  &  a  2  e  &  a  3  e  &  a  4  e  &  a  
Bb    D     F           Bb D     F                 Bb    D     F  D     F

1  e  &  a  2  e  &  a  3  e  &  a  4  e  &  a  |  1  e  &  a  2  e  &  a  3  e  &  a  4  e  &  a  
Ab    C     Eb          Ab C     Eb                Ab    C     Eb C     Eb
EDIT: Never mind, mystery solved, it's the synth flute line from "Straight Up" by Paula Abdul. lord knows why that was stuck in my head

Freddie Gibbis fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 31, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

glucose posted:

This song uses the same sample as Lil Wayne's La La La, the one with the high voice. The hook says "Im a joker, Im a smoker, Im a big blunt roller". Ive put almost every search string I can think of into google to no avail. Can anyone help here?

steve miller, "the joker"

and it's "i'm a midnite toker", not a "big blunt roller"

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Shoeshine Emcee posted:

gently caress, where is that beat from? I've definitely heard that high la la la sample somewhere before, a bit slowed down though.

okay, here, this might help. the sample that you're talking about here is most assuredly from "you don't have to be alone" by the new birth -- i have the original LP right here and even the rhymefest album credits it as the source.

i don't know if that's gonna help you find your track or not, but good luck to ya

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Strontosaurus posted:

Can anyone name the song playing during this Hitman movie TV spot? It's not the regular Hitman theme (Ave Maria), and I can't seem to find anybody who knows.

Youtube: http://youtube.com/watch?v=_fMmORoD-3c

pretty sure it's just original score music -- the amazon page for the soundtrack says that it includes Geoff Zanelli's interpertation of "Ave Maria" and says that it's the song featured in the trailers.

i was reading a little bit at film score monthly about the trailers and apparently they just took a couple bars and chopped it out and looped them, nobody's really very happy about it, and maybe that's why it's not recognizable in that form.

the little repeating melody in there is definitely an excised segment of 'ave maria' and everything i've read about it seems to point in that direction

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Da Monk posted:

In all versions of "16th chamber" with ODB and method man, the sound is not clean at all! I know there is also a version of the song called "clean", but that one is remixed. Is there any clean version of the original version?

It's supposed to sound like that, man, Wu-Tang has always been all about old, dusty, crackly samples, that's their sound and pretty much always has been. Plus, that's a track that was recorded way back during the 36 Chambers sessions, so it's like over fifteen years old now, the production is going to be a lot different than the poo poo that's popular now.

Also, not to be a condescending dick, but when you see a hip hop song labeled as "clean", it usually just means that the swear words were edited out. :D

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

dirigible stew posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNO8AdbhEnw

What is the second rap song that plays?

Think the song title is "From The Hood" but I'm absolutely sure that the track is by a producer from out here in San Jose called Traxamillion. If it's the rapper you're looking for, I'm 95% sure that the guy in that song is either Hustalah or San Quinn. Good luck!

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

SpecialK posted:

I have a song in my head that could easily be by The Cure, but I've gone through the entire greatest hits album without hearing that certain guitar riff. This riff would fit right into "Just Like Heaven", same beat, same accompanying instruments. The main guitar goes at several points in the song:

BEWWW....BEW BEW BEWWWW...BEWWWWWW....

Does that make any sense? I'm trying to find those notes but coming up empty.

i am thinking that you are thinking of "I Ran" by A Flock of Seagulls but i could be horribly wrong. your super-scripted "bews" are making me think of a real obvious delay and the two songs are from similar eras and are around the same tempos.

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Three Red Lights posted:

Any help? I'm trying to google lines and not getting anywhere.

it's Saul Williams, but it's from the stuff he did before he got involved with Reznor, pretty sure it's on his self-titled release

edit: found the song searching for "Saul Williams" and "guns or weapons", it's called "PG" and it IS on his self-titled album

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Ignotum p. Ignotius posted:

This is really convoluted by I'm looking for a song that samples Shake by the Ying Yang Twins, and it samples another song with a bopping saxophone line. So it has some guys shouting Mentiosa over some sax.

I'm trying to figure out what song the sax is from, so if anyone knows the remix i'm talking about or the song with the original sample I'd apreciate it.

im just gonna take a wild guess and say that there's a chance the sax is lifted 'T.R.O.Y.' by Pete Rock and CL Smooth since it's a real 'upbeat sax part and the fact that it sits by itself at the beginning of the song means it's a perennial favorite for DJ's to mix in to other tracks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyk5Sb7ADi4

i'm probably wrong but it's what your description reminds me of

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Myotis posted:

Can't for the life of me find out what the first track on this trailer is: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0138524/trailers-screenplay-E19200-314

"Take Five" by Dave Brubeck, also know as the "Stairway to Heaven" of jazz

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Aegri Somnia posted:

^Awesome, thanks

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WqX1W5_685w

for the record too, Nathan Larson is Nina Perrson's husband and was also the incredible guitar player for "Pony Express Record"-era Shudder To Think and he has put out quite a bit of incredible soundtrack music since then -- if you like that song, you should track down the Shudder album "First Love, Last Rites", which was all soundtrack music for an independent film and has a real similar feel (but no Nina)

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Three Red Lights posted:

Right, I apologise beforehand for making you watch this awful piece of poo poo.

Whats the bassline thats either sampled or ripped off at the "rap" in around 4:15?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTvHaNctk4k

the only thing i recognize it from is that 'lazy sunday' sketch from SNL that parnell and that sandberg kid did

unless that was a jack to begin with, i think that's as close as you're going to come to source material

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

UnL337 posted:

I'm looking for a song that my dad told me about that had something to do with John Lennon. He said that he bought a John Lennon album, and it was the last one that he ever bought because he thought it sucked. He mentioned one song in particular. It was a song in which Lennon strummed a guitar cord and screamed, "WELL!" Afterwards, he strummed again and repeated. Dad said that at the end of the song, Lennon's voice was raspy from yelling so hard.

I know it's not "Well, Well, Well". Does anyone know what it is?

The only Lennon song I can think of that ends with him screaming is "Mother" from the Plastic Ono Band record -- it ends with a section of him repeating "Mama don't go / Daddy come home" and by the end he is pretty much bawling. It doesn't have the word "well" featured prominently in it but is on the same record as "Well, Well, Well". Is that it?

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Mistikman posted:

A crosspost from the Metal megathread.

I need some help identifying a song I heard on Sirius Hard Attack recently. I unfortunately don't have a huge amount of information to go on but I figure someone here will know what song I am talking about.

The song starts with a decently long instrumental section, at first with only guitar work, possibly bass as well, very fast, like a guitar solo except not using the high notes like normal. After 10-15 seconds the drums kick in, and this lasts for what felt like around a minute. After this there are vocals, nothing too growly. Then only word from the chorus that I can remember is 'adrenalin'.

I really really liked this song and want to check the band out, but the station didn't mention who the artist was.

Can anyone help?

If you remember when you heard it, Sirius keeps pretty extensive playlists on their website; you might be able to track it down that way.

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Mistikman posted:

Do they? I went to their website for Hard Attack and for the life of me could not find a list of songs played. This is where I first tried to find it,

Aha, I found this and assumed it was part of their website but it looks like it's unlicensed. Maybe it will help anyway?

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Young Cato posted:

Back in middle school my mom always used to play the local smooth jazz station in the car. There was a song I had heard multiple times and liked a lot. However, due to lack of lyrics I really have nothing to go by in terms of googling. It was just an acoustic guitar melody played over and over, with maybe some light drums in the background. I think near the middle of the song some female come in, going "da-da-da, da-da-da" along with the melody. Sounds a little latin, maybe. Any ideas?

Man, I want to say that it sounds like you're describing the Getz/Gilberto version of "Girl From Ipanema" but that has singing through most of it.

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Young Cato posted:

No lyrics. Just the "da-da-da da-da-da".

I think I may have an idea, but just out of curiosity, do you remember around what year this was when you kept hearing it?

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Nutsngum posted:

Nope, and wasnt any of the others.

When i say it has lyrics that sound like "down by the river" thats really what it sounds like but i cant find the song at all.

Its a male singing btw.

this is still super-vague, though. is it a ballad or a more hard-rocking song? acoustic guitars or electric? both? do you remember it being a hit or was it obscure? etc. etc.

there are about six million grunge songs that include the lyrics "down by the river" so it's not the most useful piece of information by itself

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Nutsngum posted:

More ballad, more acoustic based but probably has electric backing, it was at least a moderatly successful hit and i expect everyone to have heard it before and be able to recognise it.

This is my poorly humming the tune into a lovely microphone, might help.
http://www.zshare.net/audio/84604167e7a5ab/

okay, hrm, i was starting to think it was "river of deceit" by mad season but the melody sounds nothing like that.

this is gonna sound crazy but i think you're humming "The River" by Bruce Springsteen

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

tsbicca posted:

Ok i have a song stuck in my head and I'm sure someone here knows it. Its a rap song and has a chorus/sample that goes:

"brrrrtt" (this sounds kind of like a gun
"stick him
ha ha ha
stick him"

alternately it might be
"brrrrtt
get him
ha ha ha
get him"

I can't get it out of my head. Tried a google search but the words are too common.

the original sample is from the fat boyz song "human beatbox part II" but it's a really popular thing to sample and/or quote. the beastie boys have a song with the chorus based on that but there's a ton of other groups who have built songs around it as well.

you might even be thinking of the original because it was in a jeep commercial a little while ago.

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

MC Scaredabeez posted:

what the hell beastie boys song are you referring to?

also, i think this guy is thinking of an intro to a Reel Big Fish song from that Turn the Radio off album.

this beastie boys song:

http://profile.imeem.com/ubLwmp/music/0rDuVP9C/beastie_boys_brrr_stick_em/

i believe it's a b-side from a To the Five Boroughs single

seriously if you are a fan of hip hop at all, you've heard the fat boys sample and/or quote in about 800 songs, it's pretty much impossible to pin down with just that to go on -- off the top of my head i can think of Cam'ron, MC Eiht, E-40, Jeru The Damaja, Beatnuts -- poo poo if an MC has more than three or four LPs out there's a very good chance they've dropped this line once or twice, it's even more ubiquitous than "SUICIDE - it's a suicide"

edit: not to mention the massive amount of D&B producers that have used it for a hook as well

Freddie Gibbis fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 6, 2008

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Elphiem posted:

No, it sounded like a Caribbean, or Jamaican black guy was singing it.

there's a pretty famous old rocksteady song by david isaacs called 'place in the sun' that stevie wonder covered, the lyrics seem to cover everything you've said and it's definitely a carribean fellow singing

is this it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AbpKFgXoBQ

edit to add: holy gently caress did paul simon ever rip this song off for "kodachrome", i never noticed

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Johnny Future posted:

I've been trying to figure out the name of the song in the 'land of chocolate' sequence from the Simpsons for years. Unfortuneately, I don't even know where to start looking without composer's name, title, or type of genre it would clissify as. At best, I would call it 50's film strip music, but that's not really much to go on.

Can any goons help me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1Q6Ui0-cnI
the song stars at about 0:38

it's by alf claussen, and it was an original composition for the show

it looks like it was available on a soundtrack at some point but is now out of print:

http://www.soundtrack-express.com/osts/simpsonic.htm

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Jive One posted:

I heard a song on the radio today and now I can't remember the full title or the band. The station was Sirius Buzzsaw and they play classic hard rock, basically Hendrix, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Van Halen, etc. The band who performed this song falls into this category, and I remember this particular song sounded a bit more artistic and slow-paced, a bit like Rush or even Dream Theater. Also, the DJ had said the lead singer was dead. The title of the song included the word "sun" among a few other words, although that may not be too helpful. Hopefully with these clues someone may know what song and band I'm talking about.

i'm pretty sure that you're talking about "children of the sun" by billy thorpe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qSlDZ27BAY

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

deglaze|2 posted:

This is more me looking for the name of an artist. I'm guessing he was seventies, pretty sure he was funk. I'm remembering him wearing big glasses and big hat that was kind of Egyptian and but futuristic. thanks

if it's not bootsy, as johnny future suggested, it's almost definitely george clinton

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

deglaze|2 posted:

definitely not bootsy. It might be clinton but i can't find a photo of it. Maybe I just saw Isaac hayes in a futuristic black israelite get up.

holy crap i'm dumb as poo poo.

you're talking about Sun Ra

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

TotalHell posted:

I've been looking for his song for years, maybe this thread will end the hunt.

I heard a song on the radio several years ago. All I can remember about it was that the band sounded vaguely REM-ish (I remember thinking it was REM when I heard it, but I believe I was wrong about this).

I think that part of the chorus was the male lead singer singing "It's gravity" or something to that effect.

I realize this is absurdly vague, but if anyone even has a clue, I'd be appreciative.

REM does have a song called "Feeling Gravity's Pull", I guess that may be it if you turned out to be wrong. :)

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

horn_ posted:

Can anyone name the artist who wrote the second song in this profiile - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=120506805
titled "you wish you knew"?
I'm fairly certain the chap who created the profile just couldn't be arsed individually labelling the artists and just filled in scott walker for all of them. Any help much appreciated.

"dark entries" by bauhaus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRNu8S-YoMM

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

aunaturale posted:

Slightly off-thread but instead of song, can someone tell me what the main brass instrument used in songs such those below is? The lines with the really loud and high soaring lines. I think it should be obvious but sorry if it's not. I'm assuming some form of trumpet or saxaphone, but getting a more precise answer would be great :)

Cat Stevens - Midday (Avoid City After Dark)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3mc8m_vBQg

Feist - 1 2 3 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8Z-DIAthbM

That would be the flugelhorn

Chuck Mangione plays it too :unsmith:

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

aunaturale posted:

Haha, I was way off. Is it as hard to play well as the trumpet?

i dont play either so i couldn't tell ya but i imagine it's pretty close to playing the trumpet, it just may be in a different key. they're definitely a little larger and more 'loopy' than trumpets so i imagine there would be a little more breath involved but im not a brass player so im sure somebody else can answer that better than i

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

myklayman posted:

I vaguely remember this song from the mid to late 90s from a video. I seem to remember the chorus having the lyrics "baby, baby, every time I get next to you" but that could be way wrong. The tune has been stuck in my head for at least 9 years.

Is it "Baby, Baby" by Amy Grant?

If it is, I'm really sorry, man.

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Ramagamma posted:

Ok heres the details of the song i'm looking for.

Theres a section of the chorus where the word "saturday" is repeated like 7 times. Possibly followed by "what a day".

A friend of mine believes it was sung by Elton John although i'm vaugely familiar with his works and a google search only turned up a song by him called "Saturdays Alright (for fighting)" which isn't the song i'm looking for.

Any suggestions?

Argh. I know exactly the song you're talking about -- it's not the Bay City Rollers song or the Elton John one, it's an upbeat almost-disco early 80's song with (I think) a female vocalist. Now it's driving me crazy too.

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

The Deadly Hume posted:

A Rollerskating Jam Named "Saturdays" by De La Soul? It's from 1991. The female vocal kicks in around 1:37.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERthFAsiQLY

Most assuredly not it, unless me and this fella are thinking of two different songs. I definitely know this track. :madmax:

The "Saturday" song in question sounds more like Olivia Newton John, it's like early 80's soundtrack music or aerobics stuff or something, and it definitely includes "Saturday, what a day!" at the end of the chorus. It's one of those songs like "Celebrate Good Times" that you always hear in the background of corporate training videos and poo poo.

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

complord69 posted:

If anyone knows this song bless them, because I have been looking for it for awhile. I saw the music video on MTV back in the late 90's. The main lyric I know is 'forty-five' and is repeated a lot. I believe the main singer is Arabic because of a strange accent when singing. The music video is a bunch of dudes playing instruments in a room with the number 45 everywhere and of course record players playing 45s. The reason I ask for it now is that it is playing in the background of the new "The Love Guru" movie trailer. It is hard to pick out but it is there. If anyone could figure this song out, it would be great.

I'm 95% sure you're talking about Brimful of Asha by Cornershop. The chorus is "Brimful of Asha of the 45" over and over again -- Fatboy Slim remixed it and the video is pretty similar to what you're describing, although SLIGHTLY different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XniTypXFje4

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

complord69 posted:

That is it! You are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you very much!

No problem, I loved the video as well so it came back to me pretty quick. :)

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
okay, here's one, i'm looking for a song that was definitely from the mid-90's, the music was pretty "grungy" but the song had some shimmering vocal harmony work pretty much through the entire thing. The song did the loud/quiet/loud thing where the chorus was a big "EXPLOSION" but the verse was just drums and vocals and REALLY distorted bass. I'm pretty sure the progression was just a I - V - iii - IV or something very similar. I can't remember any of the lyrics except for at the very end, after the chorus repeats, the vocalist sings "I'd hate to -- understaaaaaaand you" and he stretches it out for a really long time.

edit: Just popped into my head but there is a bridge or a pre-chorus in this song as well where the guitar gets all swirly and flanged out and the vocalist sings "...and I'm waiting" a whole bunch.

Google has yielded nothing! Help! This should be enough detail, right?

Freddie Gibbis fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 9, 2008

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

PissFilledCumBubble posted:

Try looking through this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday#Saturday_songs

Welp after looking around, too, a TON of bands have covered the Elton John song (including Queen and The Who) so there's a chance it could be one of those versions of the same song, as well.

I really can't think of any other songs that say saturday that much even though I'm sure I've heard one with a female vocalist and a ton of synths.

Honestly, though, I'm really thinking it might be the Who version that dude is thinking of, it sounds quite different.

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Rapacity posted:

This is going to be pretty vague but here goes. About 15 years ago I had an album that was pretty popular at the time. It was quite 'chill out' but the main theme it had was monks chanting over slow techno. It's been bugging me for days and I constantly feel it's on the tip of my tongue but I cannot spit it out for the life of me.
As I say, it was very popular so I'm hoping my pathetically vague description will enable someone to help me out. Thanks.

The group you're looking for is Enigma, I forget the name of the record though.

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Audhumla posted:

I'm looking for a song from a bit back that used lots of sampling. Like samples exclusively, and a ton of them. It was pretty long (half hour to an hour) and I distinctly remember a Christina Aguilera song sampled near the beginning of this huge mashup.

I'm willing to bet you're thinking of "Night Ripper" by Girl Talk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Gonna get torn apart for this one, but whatever:

I'm trying to hunt down a piece of music from Batman 1989. It was the background music for the joker's hijacked commercial, and it's one of those really overly happy 1950's commercial scores. You can hear it in this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKFeuBfDTso

I'm trying to find that, or something very close to it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure of that exact piece but if you're looking for music that sounds like that you can't go wrong with Esquivel, he basically drew the blueprint for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dts0xWX1Xcw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N71Ky9vWOeU