Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

overnightmike
Aug 11, 2007
Years ago someone on here linked a video of a two-man rock band playing a slow and heavy blues rock song at some small outdoor concert. Their sound was super primitive, lots of starts and stops, no polish whatsoever. Seemed to be a small-time local band. It would be cool to hear it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overnightmike
Aug 11, 2007
I'm trying to remember a novelty/comedy song I heard once in the late 80's or early 90s.

The song is a minimalist beat with a man narrating a strange day over the top. The chorus is him telling you about a phone call he receives, where the person on the other end is talking in a language he doesn't understand. He repeats a string of nonsense words ('ooo boppa siggi boppa un sin bow' or something). I can't remember any details about the song except the rhythm and general words of the nonsense chorus. This has been stuck in my head for literally three decades.

overnightmike
Aug 11, 2007

Fors Yard posted:

I doubt this is it, but it matches with enough things it is worth a shot. wikipedia said it was a favorite on Dr. Demento so maybe there was a parody of it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOaUoMC6VZY

No dice yet, but thanks for the suggestions... this one might be too elusive.

overnightmike
Aug 11, 2007

Crackmaster posted:

I may be veering a little far into "suggest any novelty song with gibberish lyrics" territory here, it's hardly a perfect match, but memories can twist over the course of 30 years...any chance this is "Shoop Shoop Diddy Wop Cumma Cumma Wang Dang" by Monte Video and The Cassettes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myQ3eKcE-Fo

This is great and I'm glad you showed it to me but its not it... what I remember was far less "musical" almost more like beat poetry or a monologue set to music. The reason I remember it is because a kid in my grade school did a talent show routine to the song and it was a highlight of the day.

overnightmike
Aug 11, 2007

Dr. Quarex posted:

Hah, I have been hunting for this song's original video for years, but I can help you with the song itself--
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=argvpa_RrKo

Sincerely, thank you! Its always fun to see how my memory syncs or differs from the actual thing I remember. The nonsense lyrical line I remember almost perfectly.

In a bit of coincidence, this is the description on the YouTube video you shared: It's Summer 1991 and I'm living in Albuquerque, New Mexico. I'm driving around one day and hear this incredibly silly, yet catchy, song. Of course, the radio station never mentioned the name of the song or the artist so all I carried in my head for twenty years was "Can you see what I'm saying"? Finally found it. Enjoy - it'll make you smile.

Simone Magus posted:

When you say it was a comedy/ novelty song, do you mean like, actual "comedy" music (like Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer) or was it like, you know, King Missile?

Even after hearing the actual song again I can't answer this question! Its neither, and also both. 2NU is a really interesting project and I'm not surprised this caught my ear even as a child.

overnightmike fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 14, 2021