Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Ok, this is pretty broad, but bear with me.

I heard a tune on a jukebox's attract mode a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't paying close attention, so I don't have any lyrics, but I checked it afterwards, and the jukebox was filled with compilations of mid 90's to early 2000's pop, light rock, and country hits, with an emphasis on (but not limited to) Canadian artists.

The song was upbeat, lightweight rock. Kind of in the vein of Smash Mouth and Sum 41, but definitely not them, and a lot lighter. It's a song I've heard many times before, but not in the last decade. It's got that generic catchy hit sound, kind of like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GIz4-KcPNo

But clearly rock.

It's driving me nuts. It's one of those songs that everyone's heard, but can't put a face to. Real FM radio/muzak material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
No, it's neither of those.

In terms of rhythm, think Hanson, but more rock. This song is centered around it's catchy chorus.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Erebus posted:

Next thing I'd guess is any of the big singles by Sugar Ray, most likely Fly. But honestly a lot of late '90s pop rock shares a similar sound, so it's hard to narrow down based only on what it's similar to. It could as easily be Third Eye Blind's Semi-Charmed Life or Goo Goo Doll's Slide or something.

No, none of those. In the right area, though. Already checked Fly and Semi-Charmed Life.

The hook from the chorus is buzzing in my head, but I can't remember a single lyric. The closest melody that I know is All Star, but the vocalist is softer, more boy band-ish.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

CrumFUNist! posted:

That song reminds me of this pop-rock hit from the late-'90s, so maybe this is the one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0wfu3tOrtQ

Close, but nope. What I heard has no edge to it whatsoever. Very earwormy.

life is a joke posted:

Can u record yourself humming or singing the chorus?? This one is nagging me.

No microphone, sorry. I can't remember it note-for-note anyways. Just that it sounds like your typical mid-to-late 90's MTV/MuchMusic rock hit, but really generic/"corporate". The hook is all it's got in songwriting value.

Here's some more vaguely similar stuff:

Simple Plan - I'm Just A Kid
Limblifter - Tinfoil
Big Wreck - That Song

However, none of this stuff has the right tone to it. Think 'N Sync - Pop, but slower, with one vocalist, and electric guitars. Sorry I can't think of better examples, I listen to metal and rave mostly, not pop-rock. This "you've heard it everywhere" hook has just really got me hung up... >_<

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

Three more guesses:

New Radicals - You Get What You Give
Savage Garden - I Want You
Foo Fighters - Learn To Fly

Nope. First two are decent tries, but Foo Fighters isn't even close.

It's not Stacy's Mom either, but that's the level of catchiness I heard. The song is more pop than rock, but has definite rock influence.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

LL_Ghoul_J posted:

I can't find a video link, but is it Some Kind of Wonderful by Sky? It pretty much ticks off all the boxes you mentioned (extremely corporate lame rock sound, was everywhere in the late 90s, Canadian, big hooky chorus)

No, but this one's real close. Needs basic rock guitar and a less whiny singer.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
^ Maroon 5 - This Love is kinda in the right area, but the best suggestion so far is Sky - Some Kind Of Wonderful. Stay close to that one.

Here are some pointers:

Electric rock rhythm guitar
No acoustic guitar
No rap
Not emotional
Singer is clear, fairly mature, not whiny
Sorta dance-like beat, heavily produced sound
An instantly recognizable hook, kind of like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDY6bWT5oTM

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 2, 2016

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

ButtWolf posted:

Soul Decision - Crazy ?

That's the kind of corporate, over-produced sound I heard, but it wasn't a boy band. One generic male singer, rock rhythm guitar, danceable beat.

And if it was a cover of an oldie or Nickelback, I'd know.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

ButtWolf posted:

Finger Eleven - Paralyzer?

Hey, good guess! Less screaming vocals and less distorted guitar, and that's pretty much it! The hook is very similar.

I don't have a smartphone, sorry. (Yes, such people do exist.)

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
^ No, that's not it. In our mystery song, the singer has no effects on his voice, the guitar is flatter sounding, and the beat is subtler.

I have a feeling that this song is not from an extremely famous artist. The song is pure elevator music aside from the hooky chorus.

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Sep 3, 2016

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

DrTempest posted:

It sounds like Tal Bachman's "She's So High"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ElORM9O-0U
e: link added.

Nope.

Remember, not emotional.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

The guitar tone in this one is really close. Needs a bit less energy, though.

I need to emphasize the "no emotion" part. The singing barely qualifies as singing. It's like a sermon, with the only variance happening in the upbeat chorus. And as for the melody of that hook, this is the closest example that I can think of right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcze7EGorOk

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Heh, it certainly qualifies for the "no emotion" part. The singer isn't grating, though, just uninteresting.

Here's a summary up to this point:

A song that was once commonly heard in Canada, but didn't age well.
The polished pop qualities of Some Kind Of Wonderful.
The beat/rhythm of Paralyzer, but with less force.
The guitar tone of No One Knows, but with a bit less energy.
Utter background music aside from a catchy chorus in the vein of Truck Got Stuck and Istanbul.
One plain, unemotional male singer, but not obnoxious.

For a change, let's avoid well known rock acts for a bit, and try focusing on one hit wonders/party acts in the vein of Danzel.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
It's not Take Me Out, but thanks for bringing it up. I've been looking for that music video with the mechanical spinning legs for awhile. :D

Try suggesting mellower songs. Stuff just barely more exciting than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIYiGA_rIls

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Nope, not Hedley. Remember, the singer is unremarkable, but not obnoxious.

Here's another clue for the hook. Imagine if a man sang the chorus of Madonna's "Music" a little softer, and a little faster.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Cake is definitely a similar sound, but nope again.

The singer is not deadpan. Think session singer, somebody who sounds good enough but has no personal investment in the song.
The guitar has no twang. It's a completely generic rock rhythm guitar, in the vein of a basic keyboard sample.
The beat is danceable, like a mediocre pop beat.
There is nothing artistic about the song. It's like something from a mediocre hits compilation, but the catchy chorus is instantly recognizable.

Here's another song with a similar chorus (the beat and singer are also kinda similar):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAHutq4iByw

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
This might make things easier. Find a song just like this, except with less energy, no rap, and a catchier chorus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWo-02Hsab4

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Well, I'll say this much - the way Beck sounds on Where It's At is almost exactly what the singer in the mystery song sounds like.

It's not any of those suggestions, or E-Pro, unfortunately. But I'll check some others and get back to y'all.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Nope. Mystery song has no horn.

I don't think It's Beck. I checked out a bunch of his stuff, and his music has a certain amount of "oomph" to it that the mystery song doesn't have. Look for stuff that has more of a lightweight, sorta dance-esque pop vibe to it, but with rock rhythm guitar. And by "rock rhythm guitar", I mean like this (but not quite as energetic).

Nope. Mystery song has no edge to it.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Allen Wren posted:

I'm starting to think it's not late 90s and that it's some also-ran grebo abomination we're looking for

Grebo as in this?

Hell no. There's nothing heavy about this song at all. Nor was there anything like that in the jukebox.

The suggestions so far have provided me with some good examples of the sound, so here's an updated summary:

A song that was once commonly heard in Canada, but didn't age well.
The polished pop qualities of Sky - Some Kind Of Wonderful.
A danceable beat in the vein of Paralyzer, but not as in-your-face.
A rhythm guitar tone in the vein of No One Knows and Blitzkrieg Bop, but a little less energetic.
Utter background music aside from a catchy chorus in the vein of Truck Got Stuck and Istanbul.
One plain, unemotional male singer, but not obnoxious. Very similar to Beck as heard in Where It's At.
No strong effects on the singer's voice, no rap, no horn section.
A general vibe similar to 311 - Come Original, but more "friendly" sounding.

Here's a series of compilations from back in the day. Might help put y'all in the right frame of mind. And if you need more context, everything in my original post still applies as well.

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Sep 7, 2016

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
I'm afraid that Thornley and Big Wreck are too heavy. The Oaf and That Song do fit the profile otherwise.

Stay away from anything remotely grunge-sounding, and look for more "pleasant" songs, like this, but without the punk angle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoC3PUBmhFs

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 8, 2016

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Superrodan posted:

I feel like I have so much information that I should be able to find this thing, since its origins were being one of the most popular songs on a popular music sharing site, but I'm having no luck.

What genre is it/what does it sound like?

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

life is a joke posted:

This is a reach, but is the mystery song pepper by butthole surfers? It's not corporate rock but he does a deadpan thing over not too rocky rock and it got played a lot for a bit in the early 2000s

Nope. I think that may have been suggested already. The singer in the mystery song is plain and unemotional, but not deadpan.

Also, remember that we're looking for a fairly lightweight song. Nothing punky or grungey.

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 10, 2016

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Found another song similar to my mystery song.

Eve 6 - Inside Out

However, it doesn't have enough pop influence, the chorus isn't nearly catchy enough, and the singer's a bit too emotional.

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Sep 12, 2016

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

It's been so long I can't remember if these have been recommended:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGytDsqkQY8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8b4xYbEugo

It's neither of those. Way too much emotion in the first, but the second has the right pop vibe to it.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

DrTempest posted:

Perhaps this? Not a huge hit, but it got around a bit on the airwaves.

Soul Coughing - Circles

In terms of style and flow, this one's getting really close, but the singer's a bit too obnoxious, and the sound isn't polished enough.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Synthetic Hermit posted:

In terms of style and flow, this one's getting really close, but the singer's a bit too obnoxious, and the sound isn't polished enough.

For reference, we're looking for this level of production polish.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

DrTempest posted:

Thr only other one that's remotely close I can think is Fastball's The Way. Perhaps that?

Nope.

Remember, the catchy chorus has an instantly recognizable "you've heard it everywhere" sound to it.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Thanks for the guesses. Dexter Freebish - Leaving Town has some of the right catchy-yet-bland vibe, Dracula From Houston has the right kind of vocals (except for the backing vocals - I don't think the mystery song has any), and the hook in James - Laid has some similarities (though too up-front). But otherwise, these are missing the mark. In general, too obscure, too indie, too emotional, too edgy. The mystery song is like a dance song that has generic rock rhythm guitar and isn't really that danceable. It's VERY easy on the ears. Absolute perfect mall/supermarket music. In fact, here's a song I recently heard in a supermarket that has the exact same overproduced, bland vibe, and similar (though even MORE disinterested) vocals.

Aside from Big Shiny Tunes, here's another relevant compilation series from Canada. On that first release, Edwyn Collins - A Girl Like You has a lot of similarities, though a touch too loud and busy.

Tomero_the_Great posted:

I was going to guess 'Steal My Sunshine'.

Instead I'll guess The Moola Song:
https://jordybirch.bandcamp.com/track/the-moola-song

Other guesses:

None of these either. The singer is more mature than most of them, and there's no acoustic guitar or horn section.

I can at least say that Theory Of A Deadman - Make Up Your Mind does check the box of "you've heard it everywhere but probably can't put a name to it".

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Tomero_the_Great posted:

Are you Canadian? Would you recognize staple Canadiana? What you consider obscure might throw some of us off.

Yes, I'm Canadian, and I'm pretty well versed in 90's Canadiana.

When I say "obscure", I mean stuff that charted very low, got very limited airplay, and never got a foothold in the larger listening consciousness, regardless of country. I highly doubt this is the case for the mystery song, which I recall hearing quite often. Unfortunately, I can't narrow down the time period any more than after 1995 and before 2006.

Erebus posted:

It's a vague request about a style that was really popular, which makes it feel like it's really familiar and it's on the tip of your tongue. He's basically found the musical version of "It doesn't do anything, that's the beauty of it."

Exactly.

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah, but like most people get like one or 2 guesses and people have been making effort posts trying to figure his song out for a month. I'm pretty sure he's just loving with you guys at this point.

The problem is that people haven't been paying full attention to the clues I've provided. They keep suggesting grunge, emo, acoustic, soft rock, indie rock, etc. The song is closer to Prozzäk than Crash Test Dummies. If you really want to help, go back, re-read what I've said about the song's various elements, and narrow down your suggestions accordingly.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Also, several of your clarifying clues have been contradictory. Not that I care. It's a fun diversion that has introduced me to 3-4 songs that the kid in me really digs.

I'd be happy to clear up any supposed contradictions. Just point them out. :)

It's definitely not Radiohead. The singer's nowhere near that wimpy.

Here's an example of people not following my instructions. Please stop suggesting songs with acoustic guitar, clean guitar, or lead guitar. The song is nothing more than a single, disinterested adult male vocalist, a dance-esque drumbeat, and rock rhythm guitar, with polished production. I understand how broad this is, but I warned you at the beginning. I highly suggest focusing only on songs that are bland aside from a very hooky chorus.

No song I've heard during this process has a closer vibe than Big Sugar - Diggin' A Hole. All it needs is clean, weaker vocals and a bit of smoothing off the edges.

I have no use for a microphone on my computer aside from VERY occasional moments like this. Besides, I can't recall the melody exactly. I know of no other like it, though.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Allen Wren posted:

sing it into your phone

some half-remembered poo poo is way more useful than nothing

I already said I don't have a smartphone. I consider them pointless toys. I do have a pre-paid flip phone for emergencies, FYI.

I'm not going to keep playing the justification game. If you don't want to help, then just don't.

P.S. I've already said that similarities to the mystery song's hooky chorus can be found in Istanbul (Not Constantinople) and Truck Got Stuck. I have yet to hear a suggestion with a chorus melody anything like these.

EDIT

Tomero_the_Great posted:

It won't match Synthetic Hermit's criteria, but I'm going to guess Marcy Playground - Sex And Candy anyways.

Not a bad guess, actually. Too droll, unfortunately.

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 3, 2016

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Elrobot posted:

Money City Maniacs by Sloan (or similar era Sloan?)
https://vimeo.com/24406724
or this maybe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ9KfKx8PmM

Both those were on the first few Big Shiny Tunes which is probably your best bet.

No. The song leans more towards pop than rock, and has no hip-hop influence either.

I've been through a number of BST and Now! tracks, as well as countless YouTube and Pandora suggestions, and I got a big load of zilch out of it. That's why I'm asking you fellows...

LL_Ghoul_J posted:

Did anyone guess something by CW McCall yet, like "Convoy"?

No, because it's a mid 90's to early 2000's song, and not country.

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 4, 2016

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Superrodan posted:

Is that mystery song I Want You by Savage Garden? I was just randomly reminded of the talking singing that you were talking ago and that popped into my head.

No, but there are definitely some similarities. The drumbeat is close, the singing style is close, the structure of the song is close. It might even be in the same key. But it's too fast, there's too much business going on, and the singer in the mystery song is more mature. It also needs to be more danceable. I once again point to "Sucks To Be You" by Prozzäk, which has quite a few of the mystery song's elements, except it's not a straight dance club song (the rock rhythm guitar being a big tipoff for that), nor are there any strong vocal effects.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Not even close. Clean guitar, whiny singer, not danceable.

I think we can all agree this has gone on too long. Let's have one final push, then scrap the search. Here's a summary of all the song's elements:

Heard fairly often in Canada until about a decade ago.
Bland aside from an easily recognizable, catchy chorus with a melody somewhere inbetween Truck Got Stuck and Istanbul.
Polished production, pop influence, with a somewhat danceable beat, but not complex or saccharine.
One mature, unemotional, unremarkable male singer, with no strong vocal effects.
Lightly distorted rock rhythm guitar - no lead guitar, clean guitar, or acoustic guitar.
Moves along nicely, but not too fast. Slightly upbeat.
No rap or horn section.

Songs with similar elements:

Catchiness - Stacy's Mom by Fountains Of Wayne
Production - Some Kind Of Wonderful by Sky
Singing style - In the general area of Sucks To Be You by Prozzäk and Where It's At by Beck.
Guitar - Paralyzer by Finger Eleven, but less distorted, and not as loud.
General vibe - Halfway between Pinch Me by Barenaked Ladies and Big Sugar - Diggin' A Hole.

Original post for context. Feel free to ask for clarification of any potential contradictions.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Flaggy posted:

Ok here is a hail mary for the mystery songs, could it have been Sponge?

Not sure who you're asking, though it's definitely not my song. WAY too intense.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

No that's not it. I think it's older than that and meant to sound "exotic" like it's from another country or time period.

What do you mean by "older"? Mission Impossible premiered 3 years before Triumvirat was formed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HFakjigeFc

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Yossarian-22 posted:

Trying to identity some old song from the 60s/70s. The chorus goes sorta like "Heeeeeyyyyyy ya sookay, sookay hang on." I liked up "sookay" because I had no idea what the chorus was saying, but I got some Steppenwolf song called "Sookie, Sookie" which definitely isn't the right song.

So I recorded this http://vocaroo.com/i/s0h2HNalwwxo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGuPc01Dn7c

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

...and the pitch! posted:

Is it Hang On Sloopy[sic]? Whatever Synthetic Hermit linked got taken down.

I linked to Hang On Sloopy, and it's working fine for me. Country restriction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

Yes,
"This video contains content from SME, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds. Sorry about that."

Phooey.

Well, this one should be US compatible, don't know about outside North America:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nuw8GJbqx94