Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
my sister just asked me to help her identify a snippet of music that came to mind, and while i instantly knew exactly what she's talking about, i have no idea where it's from. i asked my roomate and he was in the exact same boat

the snippet sounds very bossa nova, or similar latin american style. a female vocalist harmonizes something along the lines of "oooohhhh ayeeeiii" repeated several times, and it feels like something that's sampled or played fairly often. all three of us have absorbed it through cultural osmosis, but we have no idea what it's originally from. it's the kind of thing that's very easy to communicate in person, but impossible to search for online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
found it after listening to a bunch of random bossa nova playlists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrZBiqK0p9E

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
when i went to new orleans for the first time someone gave me a cd with a bunch of music, which i lost years later. most of it was easy to find, but there's this one song i remember some lyrics for, but google does absolutely nothing

it was very brass and vocals heavy, the lyrics were focused on the space race, so makes me think it was 60s ish, or maybe a cover of an earlier song

chorus went something like

"rocket to (on?) the moon,
rocket to the moon,
and if they ever do it'll be too soon,
they're building a rocket to send (go?) to the moon"

i also distinctly remember a line "nero played the fiddle while rome burned"

it was fairly high quality, which makes me think this isn't some kind of rip off of some obscure tape or vinyl, but the only results i ever get is "whitey on the moon" which is a similar topic but definitely completely different in origin