Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
The train one might be Trans Eurpoa Express by Kraftwerk, there's no actual train sound but the beat mimics it. It's from the 70s. It's got lyrics but they wrote a couple noise songs that had the same beat that tied in. The song autobahn has a synth "horn" too but I think that was a different album, check em out and see if it's familiar.

life is a joke fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

BobKnob posted:

Here is a long shot. A band with a white(I think) female singer with a deeper voice. Alternative from like the late 80's early 90's maybe?. Sounds sorta like Concrete Blonde but with a less smokey voice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdpTcvSn8HQ

I had trouble making any lyrics and forgot those I did but I think the Chorus had a very long Ooooh and then a shorter ooooh and then some other lyrics which I couldn't catch. I walked into a store as it was ending and asked the staff but they were clueless. I know I have heard it at least once before. I know I am doing a terrible job describing this song and I apologize, but this song is stuck in my head now and I can't even sing along with it since I don't know the words.

Can you hum it and post a link? Sounds like the sort of thing I like anyway :P

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Can you check out a few of the sonic youth songs that Kim Gordon sings on and see if the voice is close? They have a huge catalog but if it's familiar I could prob narrow it down. Sounds kind of like what you're saying, but try a few cause she switches between screaming/growling/nice smokey singing.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

BobKnob posted:

She could be it! I am Youtubing them now. I don't think it is Sleater-Kinney but they rock.

Oh good! If you've heard it before maybe it's Bull in the Heather? The description isn't that close (unless you heard "buuuuuuull intheheather" as "
oooooooooh yeah") but I think that's their most popular 80s/90s track with KG as the lead singer.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Was it The Budos Band? It doesn't hit all your points but I can't imagine a club playing those deep cuts instead of a band from the last decade that takes points from those sources and makes it somewhat radio/night-out friendly.

life is a joke fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 30, 2016

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
The last post has me wondering about a song I heard in the 90's that I haven't been able to find since. It is a Middle-Eastern sounding song, and at one point I'm pretty sure it was used in a trailer for Three Kings, which is set in Iraq. None of the Three Kings trailers on YouTube feature it at the moment, though.

It has a sharp stringed instrument line for two measures, I'm remembering it as a guitar but it's probably on an oud. Then it has a plucked sting thing with some bells in the background for another two measures.

I think I heard it in other places besides that trailer. It's a fast paced middle eastern song that a yankee heard more than once so I'm hoping that it was something yall would know. Thanks.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
In that case I'd just send an email, it's not a huge station so I'd bet the contact form would go straight to an actual person who can take a few minutes to find what you're looking for.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Is it the one featured in this episode? http://m.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/516/stuck-in-the-middle

I can't listen cause I'm on the go but I remember them describing it as ubiquitous hold music and it's really cheesy, like z-grade Kenny G.

E: wait that might be the wrong episode but when I get home I'll find the one about the guy who wrote what you're prob talkin bout

life is a joke fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 20, 2016

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

CrumFUNist! posted:

Heard this on a classic rock station. Features a semi-funk guitar riff with a clean tone, and intermittent Chicago-style horns, there was a verse lyric that went something like "feel her face in a cloud" and the chorus seemed to be "fly" repeated over and over again.

Was it a steely dan song? They're kinda "clean funky" classic rock and iirc have horns sometimes, but I don't listen to them so idk of an individual song that match up but it made me think of them. also the only thing i ever heard of being chicago style is that gross slop pile they call "pizza", interested to know what makes horns chicago style (not doubting you that its a thing just never heard of it)

life is a joke fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 1, 2016

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

Synthetic Hermit posted:

No, none of those. In the right area, though. Already checked Fly and Semi-Charmed Life.

The hook from the chorus is buzzing in my head, but I can't remember a single lyric. The closest melody that I know is All Star, but the vocalist is softer, more boy band-ish.

Can u record yourself humming or singing the chorus?? This one is nagging me.

tacodaemon posted:

Pretty sure he means the band, not the city :ssh:

oh haha right, sorry :P

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
This is a reach, but is the mystery song pepper by butthole surfers? It's not corporate rock but he does a deadpan thing over not too rocky rock and it got played a lot for a bit in the early 2000s

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

theHUNGERian posted:

Finally identified the song. It was Boards of Canada - Dayvan Cowboy. Given that I listen to tons of Tycho and Bonobo, I could have found this song much earlier if I had just let the playlist advance a couple of songs further.

may we all (HINT HINT) learn from your prudence and not ever ask of the thread an impossible task about some bullshit 2000s canadian blip.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Isn't that cee lo? like in computer form but im p sure thats gently caress you!

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Can you hum some part that you remember that people might recognize?

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Turbomoose could it be norway by beach house?

https://youtu.be/PHbtR8uO81M

E: I obviously didn't read your second paragraph very closely :P

life is a joke fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 9, 2017

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Could it have been notorious Radiohead ripoff band Coldplay's video where the girl takes off her jacket and gets killed in an accident? I don't remember if it shows old age and boyhood but it is a narrative told in reverse so it might.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

Rollersnake posted:

I'm not a classical expert by any means, but these are both reminding me of something by Philip Glass, I just can't remember specifically what.

Maybe "The Light" (just that little swell at the beginning), or the song from Koyannisqattsi that they reused in The Watchmen? I'm not even a huge PG fan and I thought the same thing as you.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

Josh Lyman posted:

There’s this popular British electronic song from around 2000 that has the same bassline as Alicia Keyes “This Girl Is On Fire.” It’s not Bomfunk MCs “Freestyler.”

"Pursuit of Happiness" by Cudi? Its not british but he did a 2010s mashup with MGMT who are quasi-electronic on that one, but that's a pretty common melody.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

Josh Lyman posted:

Definitely not. The lyrics are for sure with a British accent and the song dates much earlier.

if i may make my answer less pop: Fix up look sharp? same-ish beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZGvnI37mxk

e: removed dranx post

life is a joke fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 9, 2019

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
In honor of HTGAWM ending soon I will be rewatching the entire series, now every single song I’m gonna be listening for “when you come home” 😆

Try the htgawm subreddit there are lots of obsessives on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
I’m probably totally off, but this came into my head:

https://youtu.be/wpqm-05R2Jk

It’s been used in commercials a few times I think