Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Battering Ham posted:

I'm looking for a song that i remember being part of a race/chase sequence from some random anime (maybe FLCL) when i was younger. It was done on a xylophone with i think some orchestral backing. It was face paced and fun.

If it was on FLCL, then it might be Kabalevsky's Comedian's Gallop (or Galloping Comedians, or the Comedians' Dance, there seem to be several translations)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Shenadigins posted:

OK here's a frustratingly vague one, my main clue is that it sounds very much like the beginning of the verse in this song:

This is a shot in the dark, but it sounds like something you might find in a Strokes song, like Hard to Explain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXkm6h6uq0k

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

the posted:

Either this track was mislabeled on that channel, or I'm going crazy. I know what I saw.

The name or title might not be right. I know that DirecTV's music channels often update the song info well after the song has started, and the title and artist update separately, so you can end up with mismatched information.

If the lyrics had "dynamite" in them, it may have been some sort of remix of AC/DC's TNT, possibly one of the few thousand versions of this that are floating around.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

faustcf posted:

Can anyone tell me song they play at the end of this Keith Olbermann segment?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036677/#39429828

I know I've heard it a million times before, definitely a 60's psych song, sort of sounds like Incense and Peppermints.

The Castaways - Liar Liar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMXGSP_nPyY

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Tshirt Ninja posted:

The beginning of the solo of Ten Years Gone sounds just like another song from the 60s or 70s and I think it's a Beatles tune but I don't know. I should really know this but I just can't recall.

Ten Years Gone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYpydtdlWxA (skip to 2:30)

First thing I thought of when I heard it was the beginning of Band on the Run.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

hambeef posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQkBu8ijUNo#t=1m25s (Ross Noble's buzzer if it doesn't load right)

Been looking for this for ages. My idiot brain almost forgot about it and then QI decided to use it in a recent episode.

I don't even know if it's a full song, I just need to know what in god's name it is.

It's always just referred to as "Ring A Ding" and there are hundreds of songs with that name. All I need is an artist/group name or a reference to where it's from or anything at all, something to narrow it down.

Apparently it's just a ringtone from a production music library.

If it's reminding you of a song you've heard before, you may be thinking of Frank Sinatra's Ring-A-Ding Ding.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

LorneReams posted:

I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm getting married this Saturday and I promised I'd be able to find a song for my fiancé’s parents introduction, but I have been unlucky so far. What I am looking for is the opening theme of a Japanese drama called "Hissatsu Shigotonin".The show ran from like 1970 to 1990, before having a reboot/remake done in 2009 or so. It needs to be the original, and not the new one. I'm getting a little desperate, so any help (artist, title, details) would be helpful. I found what I think is a soundtrack released by King Records, but it may not be the same song, and it won't get to me on time anyway :(

Any help would be great. To give a clue the song starts with a trumpet solo, has what sounds like a Spanish guitar.

Is this it? Apparently called Koroshi no Theme (殺しのテーマ).

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

HotPocketDropIt posted:

No, but thanks. I think its something like
And if you like money, money, money, money take it from me
and it tastes like honey, yeah it tastes like honey, sweet from a bee

I'll probably here it when Im driving later but it was seriously in my head when I woke up this morning and is still there.

Sounds like Mann - Buzzin'

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

A drat FOG posted:

What's the Muse song where at the end of the chorus(?) bellamy goes "AHH-ahh-ahh" with the notes getting lower on each ahh? The ahh's might be the last syllable of a word, I don't know. Pretty weak description but muse is really popular so I figure someone will know what I'm talking about.

I don't even loving like Muse, I just have those ahh's stuck in my head and I need to kill it.

that's like half the muse catalog

Maybe you're thinking of Map of the Problematique? (go to 1:27 for some aahing)

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Phy posted:

I'm lookin' for a version of Blue Moon with a really relaxed, almost sleepy surf/steel guitar doing the melody. May be just during the bridge, it may be an instrumental track, might even be a song that sounds almost exactly like Blue Moon but isn't (but if it's that, it's as close as Twinkle Twinkle Little Star is to the Alphabet song)

The Ventures did a Blue Moon cover, but it's not particularly relaxed or sleepy. I suspect you might actually be thinking of Sleep Walk by Santo & Johnny.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

a pwn cocktail posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF4L8gVYaEI

Any idea what the two songs used in this video are? Or even what genre you'd say they're from?

Don't know, but I'd say the second one (maybe both) either comes from a film score or from someone who primarily does film scores. Sounded kind of like something Craig Armstrong would do.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

AJzer posted:

I'd really love to know where this track came from. It reminds me of Gramophonedzie's stuff, but it's not a release from his. Listening software like Tunatic are confounded by the game sounds, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XhWQdSUcCo

Thanks in advance.

This question was actually already asked a few posts up.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Time Machine posted:

I heard this song at the gym and I've searched the internet in vain trying to find it. It's a mix of Hip-Hop and Blues music. More of a clash since it seems to switch between the two genres. One of the blues lyrics was "grew up in Mississippi". He talks about traveling around the world and mentions Saudi Arabia at one point. At the end, rap guy says something to the affect of "you're the greatest, pops."

Any ideas?

Nas - Bridging the Gap

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

ninety posted:

Some time ago I heard a really bleak and depressing rendition of "You Are My Sunshine" on All Songs Considered and I can't remember the name of the artist. I'm sure it was an instrumental, probably just solo piano. I'm sick of clicking through sappy youtube videos trying to find it, please help.

This is from a few years ago and it's not an instrumental, but is it this?

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

HatchetDown posted:

There's a song that used to come on the oldies station here that was kind of ambient and instead of singing there was a monologue, like a poem being dictated. Google isn't helping me much either.

Was it creepily patriotic in any way? There were several of those in the '60s, like Day for Decision. Otherwise, how about Desiderata or the Telly Savalas, uh, classic, If.

edit:

Paperhouse posted:

This one should be straightforward, what's the piece playing in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obFOcZVCF2U

it's really really famous and I'll probably kick myself when I find out

The overture to Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet (about 6:45 here).

Erebus fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 23, 2010

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

SubjectDelta posted:

Okay goons, I desperately need your help.
For the last couple of years I have been trying to find out the name of a particular song. It came out late 90's/early 00's I think. The video clip was of a group of people out in the African savannah, painted up as native animals, and at the end of the clip they all jumped into this lagoon and the paint washed off. I've been trying to figure it out for the last couple of years but no amount of Googling has yielded any results.

Dario G - Sunchyme

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Ras Het posted:

'90s (?) pop song (at least the drum sounds are too good for the '80s), hook goes "something's going on" or "there's something going on". Only other lyric I can remember is "my baby (doing x)". I was thinking Madonna but dunno really.

Maybe Madonna - Secret?

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Hobbit posted:

OK goons, I find myself seeking your help, since my normal lyric websites and Google have failed me.

The song is hardcore punk, probably 80's or early 90's. Out of the lyrics I have:

"I'd like to introduce myself to me
I'm my own worst enemy.
You must destroy the things you love
Otherwise they hurt too much."

Thanks, goons.

Plow United - Beautiful Love Song

Can't find a video link, but you can hear the quote in the sample here.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Paradox86 posted:

I have listened through 116 samples of John Phillips Sousa music to try and figure out what march Quagmire is humming at 1:20 in this clip. I am literally going mad. WHAT IS IT!? HELP.

http://www.tbs.com/video/index.jsp?oid=134786

E.E. Bagley - National Emblem

Hijinkz posted:

Help please, thanks!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKFJ03NliB4&t=1m

Krafty Kuts - Bring Back the Funk

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Funosaurus posted:

I am looking for a song that my mom used to have on some lovely mix CD about 5 years ago. She doesn't even remember having that CD, so no use asking her.

I think it's from the 80s or something (it's not current), and I thought it was called "A Lover Scorned", I don't remember the artist, but it's a female singer, and I don't think it was a band name, might have just been a woman's name. It's about a woman who got hosed over by her boyfriend, and she's gonna make him pay by calling his house and work incessantly and hopes he burns in hell.

It's a nice sounding song, with vocals being the main focus, but once you listen to the lyrics, it's surprising that it isn't about nice things.

I think there's a lyric in there: "I will make you pay" and "I hope you burn". I know it's not very much to go off, but maybe someone knows what I'm talking about.

I tried googling for the lyrics that I remember and the name, but all I get is Lady Antebellum and other stuff that's not it. Anyone have any idea?

Could it be A Lover Spurned? Similar, and roughly the right time period, but not a female singer.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Superrodan posted:

I was in a Best Buy and they had a 3d hdtv set up playing various different promos. One was a music video that I thought was Enya but am now not sure. It was a woman with black hair (done up in a fancy fantasy look) in a forest singing to some approaching kids and I seem to recall the lyrics were about "A song for a new earth" or "a new world" or "preparing for another world" or something along those lines.

Whatever it is, I assumed it was Enya because it sounded like her easy listening chilled out style of music and she fit my general picture of how she looked in my head (woman with black hair) but my googling hasn't helped really find that particular song and Enya's hair seems shorter and less fancy than the woman I saw.

Anyone know what it could be?

Sarah Brightman - Shall Be Done

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

InvadErGII posted:

There's a song in a Ford commercial that sounds really great but you only get to hear a few seconds of it, and Google isn't telling me what it is. It's rather folk-ish sounding. Lyrics include "there's a reason to be swept up in the season of the falling leaves", and "and it comes down to me and I grit my teeth". Anyone know this?

Derby - If Ever There's a Reason

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Marcus Agalon posted:

Guys, there is this song that I heard on Pandora radio on the way down to visit my friends on LI, I only remember very little of it, but, there is a black dude with a violin on the album cover, along with a white dude with a violin. I seem to remember them being called, "just strings" or "only strings" or some variation of that. It was rap geared or at least the beat was.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Soulex posted:

A song that has been haunting me for years.

The lyrics are something akin to (in a verse) "Dancing all by yourself, you're not alone. Tell me to go to hell, I can move on. And I don't, mind, the drugs in me. It's affected my mind, and my soul is empty."

and the chorus is something like "I don't mind telling you, that I miss loving you."

I loved the song back when I was 13 (so 12 years ago) and I never remembered the name, and google lyrics proves to be useless.

It was in a cage battle between Shootyz groove "Mad for it" way back in the day on some Portland Radio station.

Thanks in advance.

It's Junkie by Slowrush. Don't see it on YouTube to give an example, but you can look it up on Amazon.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Geshtal posted:

I'm trying to track down a name and/or band for a techno/dance song they keep playing at a bar near me. The music generally sounds like synthesized stringed instruments going up and down against long notes from a synth-organ. The lyrics are mostly screaming I can't make out but one line at the end of the chorus that goes (I think) "We're gonna make it tonight!" The music video is some guy in a ghost costume (just a sheet over him with two eye holes) running around a city street at night, messing with people. Ends up in a dinner and gets food all over him when he tries to eat through the sheet so he goes to a laundromat and tosses himself into one of the washers to get clean before going back to running about the town. Catchy tune too, but I have no idea how to search for this. Any help?

Deadmau5 - Ghosts N Stuff

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

StrungOutFlip posted:

Heard a song on the radio that sounds Beatles'ish, male vocals (kinda has a funny, peculiar voice) and contains the lyrics "Can't believe its over now". Im not sure if this line is repeated but it could be.

I'm guessing End of the Road by Hopeful Monster, off the latest Great Canadian Song Quest album.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Mr Manoeuvre posted:

I was listening to the radio and heard the same song twice in a few days.

It samples The Supremes' "I'll try something new", with the main bits sounding something like this:

"Warm as warm as, oh, warm as warm as, oh..." (Kind of comes out sounding like Weemus)

But the main part is "I'll gather melodies, I'll gather melodies, I'll gather melodies" repeating.

It had a dancey beat, some brass, and was funky (and earwormy).

Please help!

This isn't really funky, but Crystal Clear & Netsky - King of the Stars?

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

You Are A Elf posted:

1.) This protest song may be called "Maybe We Should Listen to the Young Folk" by a country & western singer. It may have been a very minor crossover hit on the charts which my dad says definitely happened in 1967. The basic gist of it is about the singer telling the older listener to at least give the young and new generation a say. A partial lyric goes something like, "... and in these times, when other countries have their missiles pointed at us..."

This is Freddy Weller's Listen to the Young Folks, off the album of the same name. Unfortunately it's not easy to find online.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

CloseFriend posted:

Can someone tell me what the background music is from this commercial? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kE_hhPPBfY

It sounds like something Moby would make, but I'm not sure. As you can see, the YouTube comments were... well, about what you expect from YouTube comments.

The uploader (which is apparently Schick's official channel) mentioned in the comments:

quote:

Hey guys - the song isn't actually by any specific artist, it was produced/mixed specifically for the commercial - sorry! For our Clean Break videos over on our channel, we will have information and great things to share involving the music aspect in the near future so stay tuned - thanks for your support of Hydro Experience!

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Rekkit posted:

Listen to me please

Neither Shazam nor Soundhound was able to identify this. Frickin' shot in the dark here, any ideas?

It's from a sound production company called Mangajingle that does ad work. They have a copy of the song on their website under the Portfolio section (Osklen Fashion Show - 2010 in the righthand column).

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

I don't think it was (I didn't watch the whole thing). Searching brought up this page which mentions the Mangajingle connection.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

I don't think you're meant to get them. There's some talk of people supposedly Ebaying copies, and you could probably find a pirated version if you looked, but I doubt you'll find an official, legal retail release.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

UncleGuito posted:

I keep hearing this song called "Old Man" by Redlight King on my local indie/alternative station but I can't seem to find any trace of it (or the band) on the internet. Any goon detectives out there that know of this one?

It looks like they're extremely early on -- whatever you're hearing on the radio is a promo single and their website says an album isn't coming until summer.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

cormorant posted:

This is probably about as obscure as it gets, but I figure it can't hurt to try...

Several years ago, I heard an audio track on a college radio station. It wasn't actually music, it was composed of a girl with a really spacey demeanor narrating a story. In the story, she was talking about taking part in an experiment. She mentioned that the researchers for the experiment instructed her to be very careful driving home, and to make sure to sleep with a metal plate under her tongue every night while the experiment is ongoing. She said something like "on the third night, I forgot to sleep with the metal plate under my tongue."

Miranda July - Medical Wonder

quote:

edit: One more mega-obscure question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkFpwprABhQ

What is the source of the sample at the beginning of this song?

It's from a Jim Jones speech, though I don't think it's the one right before the mass suicide at Jonestown. It goes: “I got my CLAWS, I got CUTLASSES, I got GUNS, I got DYNAMITE! I got a helluva lot to fight! I’ll fight, I’ll fight, I’ll fight!"

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

VolumeOverTalent posted:

I was in a shop today and they were playing a cover of 'Don't Stop Til You Get Enough' by Michael Jackson, which was sung by a female vocalist, and was very chilled out and downtempo, but I cannot for the life of me find out who it was. It wasn't one of those dodgy compilations where they're too cheap to pay the royalties for the real songs, and it wasn't the versions by Shivaree or Melissa Forbes, I already tried those.

Can anyone help?

How about Melissa Ellen's version?

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Teeben posted:

Heard a song the other day at an H&M

-Slow r&b song with blues guitar
-Woman singing
-Used Hall & Oats "Sara Smile" sample in chorus
-Lyrics include "you really let me down, I'm leaving you" "don't take that the wrong way" "woman swimming against the stream"

Sarah Whatmore - Smile

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Anani Masu posted:

Some time ago, someone linked me to this

http://history.cookiethievery.com/053104/

and I've kept it in my favorites ever since. I can't look at it without my mood improving at least a little. However, every time I've tried to find the song that perfect loop is cut from I've come up empty handed. The lyrics (ha!) don't lend themselves well to internet search and there are apparently dozens of songs with various permutations of "Aww poo poo" as the title. Anyone recognize it?

awwwwww poo poo

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

a pwn cocktail posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gatBwNxzsQ

Any idea what the song is?

Hexstatic - A Different Place

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

EvilMoFo posted:

So, I just heard a song where there was male voice (maybe vocoded) saying "how about the girls" and "how about the boys" with electronic-esque music.

Arling and Cameron - How About the Boys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

John Q Russia posted:

Ok, I can swear there's a Fiery Furnaces song that I love but I can't find it in iTunes. I don't remember how the whole song goes but at one point the guy says "two, three four!" and it plays this really melted trombone(?) while he speaks gibberish. It might not actually be gibberish but in my mind it's just backwards talking and the like, with a lot of "mushy" sounds like Portuguese being spoken.

Cousin Chris. It's on EP.