Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Gross Lumpage posted:

My brain needs saving, too:

My request came to me on an old snowboarding video soundtrack - I forget the name of the video (Maybe Mad Dog something? A 10 year old Shawn White was in it).

It was the first track, right before a Good Riddance track (of which I forget the name too), or maybe it was right after Good Riddance.

The soundtrack also had the song "Courtney Love" by Nerf Herder.

THe only thing I remember about this song, besides it being awesome, are the lryics to the chorus - "I'm full of pills and smoke and booze and emptiness"

If anybody could help me it would be AWESOME.
$wingin Utter$ - Pills & Smoke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

WhereTheFishLives posted:

ok I heard this really silly song through the YTMND random generator in GBS, I thought it might come in hand on my radio show or something. (mp3 sound clips are okay as long as its not the full track?)

.mp3 sound clip: http://content.ytmnd.com/content/4/0/f/40f8c1aa62dae9a6d4d29455ece0d9ef.mp3
This is "Livin' in the Sunlight, Lovin' in the Moonlight" by Tiny Tim

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Airegin posted:

I am pretty sure the song I am trying to locate is done by Spoon.

I tried to remember the lyrics as I listened on the way to work but I've forgotton them by now, many hours later. Any Spoon fans (assuming I am correct) will know it right away by the opening, middle, and ending which all have someone pounding out the same rough chord on their acoustic guitar for about 10 seconds. I didn't recognize it from "A Series of Sneaks" or "Gimme Fiction." I can't find my Kill the Moonlight album. It may be from their upcoming release. It was awesome.
It's probably The Underdog, their first single from the new album. Definitely check out the new one, it's awesome!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Deserted posted:

I'm looking for a song that I saw the music video of: It's two DJs, one with an electronic drum machine (the one that looks like a game of Simon) and a turntable, and the other scratching a single record on a tall pedistal. The background is entirely white, and the only words I can remember are the sampled 1-2-3-4 (think DJ Shadow's 'The Number Song').

I saw this while channelsurfing last night, it was on the Animax channel in Argentina at 1AM on Thursday, June 21st.

Edit: My brother thinks the artist's name was one word.
Could it be by Justice? The song D.A.N.C.E. has a 1-2-3-4 part in it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lediur posted:

Can anyone tell me the name of the song that was used in SiCKO when Moore was in France, the one that had singing in it.

Also, if anyone could tell me what the song used in the credits of V for Vendetta, it would be much appreciated. Something about a revolution, as it was also used in SiCKO around the part about the government being afraid of the people.
The song that's in both V for Vendetta and SiCKO is "Street Fighting Man" by the Rolling Stones. It's a classic!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jaros posted:

No, thats not it. If I remember correctly its in a different language, icelandic possibly?
This is Untitled #1 (Vaka) by Sigur Ros

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0AZIFmkogY

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

TVC 15 posted:

I was fooling around listening to AM radio one night and I heard a cover of the Beatles' "The Fool On The Hill," only it was very 50's, and from what I recall, doo-wop-y, with women singing.

Thanks if anyone knows what I'm talking about!
Could be the Shirley Bassey version?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

eighteenspikes posted:

several months ago I saw a youtube video of some song... I'm not too keen on my genre identification but it was some kind of electric rock, the video is a group of plainly-dressed young males spiritedly playing their instruments inside of a translucent cube, with the vocals being distorted to a high, warbled pitch. It's stuck in my head and I'm sure if I watch it again, my mind will be satisfied. Thanks if you can help me find it :)
I'll be damned if this isn't "Atlas" by Battles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpGp-22t0lU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Swiss Army Knife posted:

Okay, this is a vague description and I apologize, but I was at a party and heard an awesome song and was hoping someone could tell me what it was. All I remember is the lyrics 'high as a kite' during two of the verses, 'yeah yeah yeah yeah' chanted sharply after the chorus a few times, a catchy bass riff and the first verse repeated in a whisper at one point. It was a pop/punk song.
Most (but not all) of those elements are in "Blister in the Sun" by the Violent Femmes, though it's not really a pop/punk song

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mudflap McDirt posted:

OK, this will solve a mystery that has plagued the music center of my brain for years. I would remember the name of the band that did this song if I saw it, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is or what the name of the song is. I can even remember everything else about my life when I heard it, and it was even playing over the PA in between bands at an Explosion in the Sky show I went to a couple years ago, but I didn't think to ask anyone what the song was. It's one of those pretentious indie bands from a few years ago...

It starts out with an octave bass line like this...

And later in the song has this melody with male whispery vocals over it...

SOLVE IT, GUMSHOES!
It sounds vaguely like "I Thought You Were My Boyfriend" by the Magnetic Fields, but v:)v

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Final Fantasy Baseball posted:

I know that this is horribly unspecific, but maybe someone will have an idea.

I was listening to a local COOL OLDIES station in my car the other day and I heard a song that sounded familiar but I couldn't place it. It had to have been from the 60s or 70s and there was finger-picked guitar and I think G and C were central chords, and they kept singing "li li li li li, la la li li li" or something of that nature like it was a chorus. My number of "li"s and "la"s may be off, but it was generally like that.

It sounded so goddamned familiar but it is bugging me now
Simon and Garfunkel - The Boxer

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

myself posted:

This is a question dealing with song-identification, but not of songs I don't know.. Actually I'm listening to the Au Pairs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Au_Pairs_(band), and I can't make out some of the lyrics for some of the songs I like, and I'm wondering if anyone has access to any lyrics for Au Pairs. Each lyrics website I go to has only a handful of songs and there are many I can't find anywhere. If anyone knows where I can get Au Pairs lyrics, primarily from Stepping Out Of Line Anthology, that would be cool! Or if anyone knows the band really well I could ask them some specific questions maybe...
Similar to this, I can't for the life of me figure out the lyrics to "Between the Lines" by the Pink Fairies, someone help

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

QXZ posted:

OK, I've been hearing this song on the classic rock station recently, and I can never make out the lyrics worth anything.

Here's basically the melody, in a nutshell:

The first part is the vocal melody in the verses. After that is some loud guitar part and the dude going "Yeah."

For some reason I keep thinking I really ought to know what this song is called, I seem to remember hearing it a lot on the "alternative" station in the past, but for some reason the lyrics never stick and I never learned who did it or what it was called.

Thanks in advance!
Definitely "Shine" by Collective Soul

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

19 Charactersorless posted:

Sorry, no. When I say auto-tune I mean really auto-tuned as in Vocoder not Pitch Correction. The tone and production quality was a lot like Akon but the vocal effects really made the song-- rich auto-tune harmonies. It probably had an outstanding producer. It was popular two summers ago and a little while before that.
Could be "Beautiful Girls" by Sean Kingston

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SG-83 posted:

I hear this song on the radio every week or two.

It sounds vaguely 70's disco, with nearly unintelligible lyrics. The only thing I could pick up was "Ooooooooh peace of mind"...or something like that. No matter how loud I turn it up, that's the only part I can recognize.

I already tried a bunch of lyric search sites, but couldn't find anything promising.
Blondie - Heart of Glass?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Livingston posted:

I'm looking for a song that I started humming to myself the other day, and don't know where I heard it. The chorus goes "Yeah yeah ya ya yeah, yeah yeah ya ya ya yeah!" It is very upbeat, almost punk, but more like power pop. It's not by the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs, or LCD Soundsystem, or Flaming Lips - which were the artists my searches led me to.

If no one has any idea what I'm talking about I can record me singing the chorus. It's sung rhythmically, and it gradually rises in pitch.

Thanks!
This has gotta be DEVO - Uncontrollable Urge

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Not Very Metal posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a Hendrix tune thats been running through my mind for the last few days. I'm fairly certain it's an instrumental. The guitar lines are all rolling triplets in a arpeggiated major key, like a walking bass line. Any guesses? Thanks!
It's not instrumental but Manic Depression fits the description pretty well

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Krabsworth posted:

i was picking my girlfriend up from work at 2 a.m. On my local public station (89.9 WORT Madison), a really cool punky song was on, with pretty minimal backing band. The guy singing had a weird tone, like he was trying to be operatic or something. His lyrics were about "getting rid of the ______" and the word that goes in that blank was a really cool word that I know, has sort of a dark sound to it. gently caress. Need to know. Thanks.
Albatross by Public Image Ltd?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Final Fart Buttball posted:

Some song that's getting play on popular-indie radio, sounds vaguely like Interpol but I couldn't find Interpol on the station's playlist. The main riff is (going up):

B, E F# G G
B, E F# G A G

repeating over and over. Thanks
It's 7 years old now but this is the riff to an actual Interpol song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgKMRbbuE_k

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Chemical Shift posted:

So this has been driving me and a friend crazy for the past few days, but I take solace in knowing she feels the same way and I'm (hopefully) not imagining it. There's a Jeremy Messersmith song called Knots, where in the verse there's a series of notes that sounds really familiar, but I can't figure out what song it is. Sorry that's so vague, but there's the video and the part. I'm just hoping it rings a bell for someone else and they can identify the similar song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzuoDjuqFrY

So the notes are when he sings the last word of each line in the verse, like so:

"Black sweatbands, sticks blur in her hands she's the drummer
She weaves a beat through the Kinks and Deep Purple covers"

"Strung out and tired, a funeral-crier, I'm heartsick
So I twist and turn 'till the rope starts to burn and I'm frantic"

Do I sound out of my mind or do those notes sound really familiar to anyone else?
This is a pretty weird request since it's just two notes but the first thing that came to mind is the last line of the chorus in 2HB by Roxy Music

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

baka kaba posted:

It's a minor 6th - I think part of the sound is that it's in a major key and starts on the tonic, then it walks down to the 6th which gives it a melancholy minor sound, then jumps a minor 6th up to the 4th which kinda makes it soar and leads back happily to the tonic again. Going from the 4th (IV) to the tonic (I) is common so you'll hear a lot of lines ending on that IV.

That song really reminds me of something but I can't think what, for some reason I'm thinking of a Radiohead song from The Bends but I can't quite remember.
Oh yeah, it totally sounds like Nice Dream actually

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

TabulaRasa posted:

I am definitely stupid when it comes to most rap so I could use a hand id'ing a tune for no particular reason other than I mentioned it someone the other day in random conversation and the person I was speaking to had no idea what I was talking about.

I think this was by a well known guy like Biggie Smalls which you think would make it easy to ID with google but I'm not having any luck.

During the song, the dude rapping is talking about his various guns, what he named them and how they sound, i.e. "I got an AK named *something* and when I pull the trigger it makes a sound effect of some kind."

So that's the white guy explanation of the lyrics. Hopefully it's enough to go on. Spotify link or youtube would be groovy.
gently caress tha Police has a couple of lines about an Uzi, an AK and a Gat and has gunshot sound effects in the Gat line

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

dokmo posted:

I'm looking for a garage rock-style recording of "Froggy Went A Courting" by a (I think) two piece 90s band with no bass player.
Here ya go, I remembered Jack White playing the recording and talking about it in "It Might Get Loud"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=483Px5Clvfc

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cran posted:

Alright, so, I downloaded a midi off a website way back in 2002, and I've been trying to figure out what it is ever since. I checked the metadata recently, but it doesn't tell me anything other than the star theme is supposed to be vocals, so I'm fairly sure it's a band song, but it might be from an anime or video game??? I honestly don't know. Now I've got some friends going crazy trying to figure it out, too.

I exported the midi to mp3 here.

In midi form it sounds extremely Mega Man X-ish but I doubt it's that tbh

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

A human heart posted:

Was reading a William Bennet Interview and this part stood out to me, does anyone know what bands or labels(is Cosmic a label?) are being referred to here?

This maybe?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro/Cosmic_music

EDIT: beaten

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Nebrilos posted:

I think this song is from Nier Automata, but I can't find it. It does have words, but they are all nonsense in a made-up language. Does anyone know the title?
https://vocaroo.com/i/s1QSGpIFz2Kk

This is the song that plays when you fight Simone, the opera singer boss in the amusement park

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMKskuvJTcs

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

That exhibit is loving awesome

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I remember a particular song I heard sometime in the mid '90s, but I've never managed to find it online. I'm pretty sure it was in a style somewhat reminiscent of "Whatta Man". During the chorus, backup singers chanted (not sang) "I wouldn't change you if I could".

No, it's not the Ricky Skaggs song. That's all I can find when I try to Google.

Mase - Feel so Good?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

WerthersWay posted:

What are some pre-Thunder Road songs that referenced other musicians in the lyrics?

The Beatles - Yer Blues references “Dylan’s Mr. Jones” as in Bob Dylan - Ballad of a Thin Man

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sufjan Stevens has sharp corners?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lester Shy posted:

Just heard a song on the local oldies (50s-70s) station that really reminded me of Belle & Sebastian. Soft vocals, acoustic guitar, gentle drums. Chorus along the lines of "I don't know what I would do without you" or "I can't imagine losing you," etc.

No clue who it was, any ideas are appreciated.

Something by Donovan maybe?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Alan Smithee posted:

am I crazy or does Childish Gambino's Redbone sample another song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp7eSUU9oy8

The oldschool chime that kicks it off

Wikipedia says it's not a sample but it uses the melody from "Portrait of Tracy" by Jaco Pastorius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsZ_1mPOuyk

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Its Coke posted:

What's the song in one of the Tony hawk games that goes "yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah"

It’s in Crazy Taxi and it’s All I Want by the Offspring

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

precision posted:

Okay this one's driving me nuts.

A 90s indie band that had two bass players and wore a lot of leather and all their songs were kind of about sex, the specific song I'm trying to remember had an intro that was a guitar line I used to be able to play, that involves an open E string alternated with high neck G notes.

Girls Against Boys?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

precision posted:

Nailed it!!! Thanks guys

👍

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

My wife is half-singing a song she swears exists. Can ya'll help me find it?

Her description is that it is a song very commonly used in montages, and it may be in french. She knows a line thats something like counting, "Un-De-Du-Twa" is how she remembers it. There is also maybe some kind of Beach Boys-like crooning, something like OOooWEEYYYooooOOOO" that is in it.

I don't think this song is real.

It has to be Ca Plane Pour Moi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ4i3lQM5lg

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I know I heard this song in the background of some 80s or 90s movie...only lyrics I know are:

I...
wanna know your name...

I want to say it's Alice Cooper but that's not right. It's a rock song. I can't get that 5 second clip out of my head.

Sweet - Fox on the Run?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

WHY BONER NOW posted:

loving nailed it, thanks!

No problem, that song kicks rear end

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cithen posted:

I'm trying to recall a female vocalist who sang in a 40s-50s pop jazz style. Her songs were kinda tounge-in-cheek. I think she was active around 2010ish. I remember one of her albums had her in a red pea coat or maybe with a red umbrella.

Gotta be Nellie McKay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The wiki for It's Always Sunny lists some albums they used for the soundtrack, they use that kind of music all the time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_Always_Sunny_in_Philadelphia#Music