Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

I've been trying to identify an obscure classical song that was used in an insurance or financial ad in the 90s with a train coursing through the countryside. It had a surging, energetic "old west adventure" feel to it and featured clacking wood instruments (maybe castanets?) playing at a quick tempo in the opening fanfare. There's also a part further along in the song where a trumpet plays something along the lines of:

D, D, D, A, (short pause, drop 1 octave) A, B, D, E, E (sustain that last E for 2 seconds), pause, D, B, D, D, C, B, A (sustain that last A for a few seconds)

I wish I knew how to write it in proper musical notation/tempo etc. The song would fit in alongside Aaron Copland's Hoedown From Rodeo or Rossini's William Tell Overture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

This is a long shot, but I've been looking for a specific instrumental classical song that sounds like something between Aaron Copland and Leonard Bernstein, but I don't think it's by either of them. It might be from a movie score inspired by Copland or Bernstein. It's got an energetic Americana/frontier feel that immediately starts off with mighty orchestral hits and the rapid clacking of a wooden percussion instrument. As far as I can remember there are no fiddles like you hear in some of the well-known Copland pieces. The distinguishing thing is the wooden clacking that's present through most of the song. It sounds like music for an Old West journey through the Rockies. I know it was used in a 1990s-era commercial in the U.S. where a train is rolling along through a picturesque landscape, but I forget the company. It might have been a retirement fund or something about fine dining on the train. This is probably not enough information to go on, but who knows?