Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
This is a hell of a long shot, but here goes:

In the summer of 2005 I was staying in Canada and there was a commercial for Wal-Mart (I think) that was on TV every other minute. It may have been shown in the States, too-- I'm a Brit so I don't know. The commercial was animated, very stylised, and had lots of kids skateboarding or something. It was all quite slick and aimed at a teenage demographic I guess.

Anyway. It had an awesome song over the top of it. Some riff-driven guitar rocky number, with some singing that came in just before the ad finished, I think. I remember at the time hitting up all the "what's that song used on that advert" sites to no avail, and from time to time I still try. I guess it's possible it wasn't for Wal-Mart because all the other ads I've seen for it in my Youtube searches have been really lovely. Does anyone have the faintest clue what I'm talking about?

edit: demographic is not the same word as democratic :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Can anyone identify the jazz at the start of this clip?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NHq5S1pDD6c

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

PissFilledCumBubble posted:

there's a youtube comment that says the song's on this collection

http://www.amazon.com/Some-Things-Just-Stick-Your/dp/B000V1OUOA

That's the song performed by Vashti Bunyan in the actual video. I want the music at the very start, the kind of airy jazz used in the title sequence...

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

I've had some old song popping into in my head for MONTHS now and I keep meaning to find out what the hell it is. I think it's 80s or early 90s, and was used in commercials in the 90s. NAME THAT TUNE:

http://popcorn.gunsha.com/name%20that%20tune.mp3

I remember it every time I listen to Weird Fishes by Radiohead, which has a guitar part in the outro that reminds me of the melody.

edit: Facebook friend found it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDe9rvQRHEI It was just some bloody jingle!

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 26, 2010

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

I'm trying to find a song by the title of "We Both Know", but I don't know the artist name. I recall him being an elderly black guy, American I think, with a deep voice, known for his acoustic guitar playing. The song itself was a furiously-strummed pounding acoustic number, and the title lyric was and "we both know it's true". The song also had violins, and lyrics structured around "you say... I say..."

This is really annoying because I know a lot about the song but no amount of Googling will recover it.

edit: exactly ONE MINUTE after posting this I remembered the artist-- Richie Havens! This has been bugging me for about a month now and I suddenly found it again. Maybe this post was just needed to jog my memory.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 31, 2010

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

machchunk posted:

OK, someone has to be able to answer this one.

A probably recent rap song, slow flow but pretty fast beat. MC sounds sort of like Lil Wayne without the rough tone. Chorus goes on about breakfast, and pouring cereal and milk.

Unlikely to be this but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4UtbrbsrjY ?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Some kind of jazzy-post-rock-y kind of track that was fairly long (like maybe 6+ minutes?) and has long instrumental sections. I think. Male vocalist, sounds like it was made in the last ten years, and lyrics about a bottle of wine. Something like "there's wine left in the bottle".

Help!

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

SebAndSeb posted:

Not really a perfect match for what you described but could it be Tame Impala - Half Full Glass of Wine?

Sadly not, though this actually kind of cool...

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Trying this again...

Popcorn posted:

Some kind of jazzy-post-rock-y kind of track that was fairly long (like maybe 6+ minutes?) and has long instrumental sections. I think. Male vocalist, sounds like it was made in the last ten years, and lyrics about a bottle of wine. Something like "there's wine left in the bottle".

Help!

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

http://jamespants.blogspot.com/2011/03/its-mystery.html Can anyone identify this song?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

I'm looking for a song that has the line "I neveeeeer" in it, possibly as a backing vocal in a final chorus or something? I don't think it's part of a longer lyric, just "I neveeeer... I neeeveeer..."

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Tingles posted:

The Killers- Mr- Brightside?

That's the one! Man, I haven't heard this song in years. I don't even like it much, but I've had that 'neverrrr' bit stuck in my head for weeks and it was driving me nuts.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

I'm looking for a song by (I think) Thomas Dybdahl with some sort of frantic, bizarre brass/woodwind playing on it. I've skimmed through all the Dybdahl on Youtube but can't find it... I'm sure it was by him (or at least the cafe owner said it was) but I must have missed this drat solo.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

trans fat posted:

A friend of mine heard a song on our college radio (88.5 for Atlanta locals) and described it as having electronic instrumentation, talky-like lyrics that repeated a line involving "company" followed by "Oooh"s, and then a second half that was much more energetic. Can anybody help him out?

Don't know the song, but couldn't you email the radio station? If it's college radio it'll likely be run by like three people (ie more likely to help you out).

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Popcorn posted:

I'm looking for a song by (I think) Thomas Dybdahl with some sort of frantic, bizarre brass/woodwind playing on it. I've skimmed through all the Dybdahl on Youtube but can't find it... I'm sure it was by him (or at least the cafe owner said it was) but I must have missed this drat solo.

Yo, no bites on this?

e: found it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iSB4GLpG7Q

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 10, 2012

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

OK, here's the next one no one will ever get...

I was in a cafe today and this album was playing that had subdued female vocals and sort of repetitive krautrock percussion. One track in particular had quite a high, theremin-like melody playing in it. It was creepy and ethereal and minimal. I reckon it came out sometime in the last 5-10 years, from the sound of it. (edit: it wasn't Portishead, in case it sounds like it from the description)

The person behind the counter said it was Husky Rescue, but nothing I can find by Husky Rescue really sounds it. I think they may have misunderstood my question because by that point a different album was playing (I did say "band before this one" but maybe they misheard). Is there some Husky Rescue album that sounds like what I'm describing, and can anyone guess at what other artist it could have been?

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 10, 2012

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

That's not it. Prepare to die!

The vocals had lyrics (didn't catch any) and it was less ambient and more 'song'-like.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

6EQUJ5 posted:

Could it possibly be something by Lykke Li? Her album "Wounded Rhymes" came out last year and has its ethereal moments.

Nope :(

OK, here's another one... I have a lot of songs I need identifying at the moment, apparently. Can anyone identify this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=f743Z4lGUek#t=359s

I've googled the "get out of my bed sample" but I'm getting a poor signal to noise ratio.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

breadcrumb trail posted:

It's from a 7" that goes with the exhibition:
http://ticketing.southbankcentre.co.uk/david-shrigley/music-video

Yess! Ta! I actually went to the exhibition last week but somehow missed this.

6EQUJ5 posted:

Ok, well here's something a bit different: La Roux - In For The Kill (Skream Remix)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2XmLcnYSwQ

It's what I immediately thought of when I read the description you gave.

Not it, too clubby.

Of course, I realise my request is impossible to identify. :(

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 14, 2012

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

But why listen to that when you could be listening to Night on Disco Mountain?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

This is a slightly backwards one... the chorus of Somebody That I Used to Know by Gotye reminds me heavily of an old song from the 70s or 80s. I keep thinking Peter Gabriel, but I can't place it. Does anyone else get deja vu?

edit: it's not a general thing, it's the chord change/melody specifically.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 21, 2012

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

One Swell Foop posted:

Sounds a lot like a Kate Bush arrangement, possibly Cloudbusting?

I know Kate Bush pretty well and I don't think it's her...

I've shown this to my dad and now it's driving him insane too. I'm a bit worried this is the musical equivalent of "that's the beauty of it! it doesn't do anything" though.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

This is a hell of a long shot, but here goes (reposted from this thread a few years ago):

In the summer of 2005 I was staying in Vancouver and there was a commercial for - I think - some kind of department store that was on TV every other minute. It may have been shown in the States, too, I don't know. I thought the commercial was for Wal-Mart but it doesn't seem to match other Wal-Mart commercials I've seen, and the only goon who responded last time didn't think it was them. The commercial was animated (possibly rotoscoped), very stylised, and had lots of kids skateboarding or something. It was all quite slick and aimed at a teenage demographic I guess.

Anyway. It had a song over the top of it. Some riff-driven guitar rocky number, with some singing that came in just before the ad finished, I think. I remember at the time hitting up all the "what's that song used on that advert" sites to no avail, and from time to time I still try. Does anyone have the faintest clue what I'm talking about? If anyone could remember what the ad was FOR that'd give me a clue...

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

^^^^ This is a massive long shot, but it's not Doncamatic by Gorillaz is it? Or something by The Chromatics?

I have a line from a recent-ish indie/alt song stuck in my head: "what am I doing here?" It's not Creep. Delivered kind of deadpan, murmured. Something like LCD Soundsystem or the National. What is it?

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 20, 2013

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

It's My Iron Lung.

e: goddamnit, left this tab open and forgot to refresh.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Can anyone identify the 20th century classical music playing here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0N_drxDnLw&t=930s

A name is mentioned but I can't catch it because it's WEIRD AND FOREIGN.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 23, 2013

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

SlumPrince posted:

The name you couldn't catch is Giacinto Scelsi, the piece is called Ohoi

HUG AND KISS :)

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

I have a song in my head I can't identify. I remember hating the song but it's annoying me. One of those.

It was a massive late 90s/early 2000s radio hit. Female vocals, sassy RnB, something like Destiny's Child or TLC. I thought it was Whitney Huston but I don't think it is. The tiny fragment I have in my head is a quick little backing melody thing, and I have the lyric "it ain't for show". Google gives me nothing.

A scrap. Can anyone pick it up?

e: oh my friend just got it! Say My Name by Destiny's Child. Hooray, now I can sleep.

e2: it doesn't even contain that lyric! it's a miracle.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 10, 2014

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Can anyone identify the song at the end of the Bridget Jones's Diary trailer? From 1:16 onwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQdy98B1nf0

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Anyone recognise the music at around 7:45 in this? (Drums + percussion.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0JkRj7-e_8

Sounds like Liquid Liquid to me, but a cursory trawl through Spotify doesn't produce it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

I heard a song in Starbucks I'm trying to identify. I'm not even sure I like it that much, but it had a synth sound I want to inspect. Recent-sounding, synthpoppy, female vocal. I wrote down lots of lyrics and thought that would be enough to dig it up again, but they're so generic Google is just throwing sand in my face.

The words I jotted down were some combination of:

know that I am yours
we will live forever
they say nothing lasts forever
I will never leave your side x 10000000

Can anyone figure it out?