Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

teapot posted:

You have disabled booting from the hard drive in BIOS. Enable it.

No, the HDD is the 1st boot device. The Bios can't get a boot going with it, so it turns to the CD as the 2nd choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Deteriorata posted:

No, the HDD is the 1st boot device. The Bios can't get a boot going with it, so it turns to the CD as the 2nd choice.

You can try to reinstall grub (and place it in MBR), but it's more likely that SOMETHING in the BIOS configuration prevents booting from hard drive. It may be in the configuration of multiple IDE, SATA or SCSI controllers, or maybe that particular disk can be somehow disabled, or it may be on the controller that BIOS does not see as bootable.

adante
Sep 18, 2003
hi, can anyone recommend some free screen-video-capture software for linux (like camtasia, but for linux)?

most of the ones I've found seem to not be freeware, and the evaluation versions put crazy little watermarks or HUGE PINK ELLIPSES in it

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004
Upgraded my linux server from ubuntu server 6.10 to the latest and it seems to have eaten one of my drives. It shows up when the machine POSTS and in the BIOS but ubuntu doesn't want to see it anymore.

I have four HD's in the machine, 2 x ide and 2 x sata and it's one of the IDE drives that has gone missing.

The three drives that are working are:
/dev/sda1
/dev/sdb1
/dev/sdc1

There are no hdx devices listed in /dev and the sdx devices are:
sda sda1 sdb sdb1 sdc sdc1 sdc2 sdc5

I've tried mounting them all in fstab and manually but can't seem to find which is my missing IDE drive.

It's probably something simple, but I'm stumped. If there's any other info that can help I'll provide it. Cheers in advance.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

adante posted:

hi, can anyone recommend some free screen-video-capture software for linux (like camtasia, but for linux)?

most of the ones I've found seem to not be freeware, and the evaluation versions put crazy little watermarks or HUGE PINK ELLIPSES in it
ffmpeg did for me what I think you're asking, but I've heard xvidcap is better. ffmpeg has Ubuntu packaging though; the main differences are that xvidcap can write directly to .avi (instead of making a bunch of jpegs you assemble into an avi) and record sound simultaneously (for narration, for example).

I'm assuming that by "screen-video" you mean "a movie of what's on the screen." Also, as I understand, neither of these utilities draw your mouse the way it's drawn because of the way it "captures" the screen. xvidcap draws a "dummy" mouse where your cursor is, I don't remember what ffmpeg does if anything.

Harokey
Jun 12, 2003

Memory is RAM! Oh dear!

teapot posted:

code:
last -f /var/log/wtmp.1

[john@johnix src]$ last -f /var/log/wtmp.1

wtmp.1 begins Fri Apr 20 13:51:06 2007

[john@johnix src]$ last

wtmp begins Tue May 1 05:02:31 2007

Why are you doing this to me fedora? :cry:

I guess I'm used to my sun machines who don't rotate this log. (And its now at a solid 3.5mb)

It just seems like you'd want this information for longer than it keeps it.

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001
What kind of a name is Pizza Organ! anyway?

deathmerc posted:

Upgraded my linux server from ubuntu server 6.10 to the latest and it seems to have eaten one of my drives. It shows up when the machine POSTS and in the BIOS but ubuntu doesn't want to see it anymore.

I have four HD's in the machine, 2 x ide and 2 x sata and it's one of the IDE drives that has gone missing.

The three drives that are working are:
/dev/sda1
/dev/sdb1
/dev/sdc1

There are no hdx devices listed in /dev and the sdx devices are:
sda sda1 sdb sdb1 sdc sdc1 sdc2 sdc5

I've tried mounting them all in fstab and manually but can't seem to find which is my missing IDE drive.

It's probably something simple, but I'm stumped. If there's any other info that can help I'll provide it. Cheers in advance.

sdx devices are SCSI or SATA devices. IDE devices will be called hdx.

I have no idea what the third sdx device is, if you say you only have two SATA drives. I would normally suspect it might be an optical drive doing SCSI emulation, but there wouldn't be any partition devices listed for that.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Can anyone cook up the following regular expression for me: (or help me find a good way to learn how)

I need to find a line in a text file that's over 150chars long, without a line break. Pretty much every other line in the text breaks at ~70-90 chars.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

teapot posted:

You can try to reinstall grub (and place it in MBR), but it's more likely that SOMETHING in the BIOS configuration prevents booting from hard drive. It may be in the configuration of multiple IDE, SATA or SCSI controllers, or maybe that particular disk can be somehow disabled, or it may be on the controller that BIOS does not see as bootable.

I figured it out. It had nothing to do with the BIOS or Linux. I had forgotten to move the jumper on the drive after reconfiguring it one time. Thanks for the help.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005
I FOR ONE WELCOME OUR NEW STUPID FUCKING CATCHPHRASE OVERLORDS

CrazyLittle posted:

Can anyone cook up the following regular expression for me: (or help me find a good way to learn how)

I need to find a line in a text file that's over 150chars long, without a line break. Pretty much every other line in the text breaks at ~70-90 chars.

something like
code:
cat [i]filename[/i] |grep '^(.){150}$'
Should match all lines which contain at least 150 characters.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

dfn_doe posted:

something like
code:
cat [i]filename[/i] |grep '^(.){150}$'
Should match all lines which contain at least 150 characters.

Thanks. I never would have thought to use dot :(

Hrm - that regex isn't working in VIM.

Here's the final regex I used in VIM to find long lines:

code:
/.\{150,}

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 1, 2007

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

CrazyLittle posted:

Thanks. I never would have thought to use dot :(

Hrm - that regex isn't working in VIM.

I'm not 100% sure but I think that vim regex doesn't like curly braces... also, I just tested it on the command line and it doesn't seem to work with the "$" in the regex... if you leave it out it works fine....

Lexical Unit
Sep 16, 2003

I just realized I have no idea how to find out what the gateway-IP is for a Linux system. That information doesn't appear to be in ifconfig and apropos gateway doesn't find anything of value. Searching google for "linux gateway" doesn't offer any clear help.

So like, how do you find out what the IP of your gateway is from a Linux box?

Harokey
Jun 12, 2003

Memory is RAM! Oh dear!

Lexical Unit posted:

I just realized I have no idea how to find out what the gateway-IP is for a Linux system. That information doesn't appear to be in ifconfig and apropos gateway doesn't find anything of value. Searching google for "linux gateway" doesn't offer any clear help.

So like, how do you find out what the IP of your gateway is from a Linux box?

Does 'route' tell you what you'd like to know?

Lexical Unit
Sep 16, 2003

Nope. I happen to know the answer I'm looking for is 10.8.16.1, but route gives rows 10.8.0.0 and 169.254.0.0 under "Destination" and under "Gateway" I just see * for those two entries and my computer's name for the "default Destination."

I'm not trying to diagnose a problem tho, the setup I'm on right now works perfectly. But if I were trying to diagnose a problem and I needed the gateway's IP, the best solution I know is load up Windows and run ipconfig :awesome:

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001

Lexical Unit posted:

Nope. I happen to know the answer I'm looking for is 10.8.16.1, but route gives rows 10.8.0.0 and 169.254.0.0 under "Destination" and under "Gateway" I just see * for those two entries and my computer's name for the "default Destination."

If that's true then there's something's configured wrongly. The last line of the route command should say "default" in the desitnation column, and the gateway column should be the name or IP of your default gateway.

Lexical Unit
Sep 16, 2003

I assure you nothing is configured wrongly as this is a work computer, is one of thousands, and all of them are working perfectly well. Perhaps our network is configured in an atypical fashion.

However atypical though, you would think Linux capable of determining what its gateway's IP address is -- unless perhaps that atypical configuration was designed to obfuscate such a thing... perhaps?

Well, if `route' really is the (apparently) singular way to get the gateway-IP in Linux, consider me informed (and confused at the same time).

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001

Lexical Unit posted:

I assure you nothing is configured wrongly as this is a work computer, is one of thousands, and all of them are working perfectly well. Perhaps our network is configured in an atypical fashion.

However atypical though, you would think Linux capable of determining what its gateway's IP address is -- unless perhaps that atypical configuration was designed to obfuscate such a thing... perhaps?

Well, if `route' really is the (apparently) singular way to get the gateway-IP in Linux, consider me informed (and confused at the same time).

Can you post what the output of route actually is? It seems like you're describing something like this:

code:
Destination     Gateway         
10.8.0.0        *               
169.254.0.0     *               
default         <your ip>       
Is that right? Does the computer perhaps have more than one NIC?

wunderbread384
Jun 24, 2004
America's favorite bread
You could try 'ip route' instead of 'route' but I'm pretty sure they get it from the same place.

Lexical Unit
Sep 16, 2003

Yup Smackbilly, what you described is exactly what route shows. The computer has two onboard NICs -- or maybe one NIC with two ports? -- but only one is actually cabled and anyway there's just the one network existing. I'd try `ip route' now but I just got off work and am subsequently not there anymore! :)

Honestly, this is just a silly little question out of curiosity, it just suddenly struck me that I didn't know how to do such a simple thing in Linux while I was sitting at my desk being bored.

Lexical Unit fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 2, 2007

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I accidentally nuked my trash can icon on Feisty last night. How can I get it back (or create a shortcut that I can drag down to avast-window-navigator)?

adante
Sep 18, 2003

kaschei posted:

ffmpeg did for me what I think you're asking, but I've heard xvidcap is better. ffmpeg has Ubuntu packaging though; the main differences are that xvidcap can write directly to .avi (instead of making a bunch of jpegs you assemble into an avi) and record sound simultaneously (for narration, for example).

I'm assuming that by "screen-video" you mean "a movie of what's on the screen." Also, as I understand, neither of these utilities draw your mouse the way it's drawn because of the way it "captures" the screen. xvidcap draws a "dummy" mouse where your cursor is, I don't remember what ffmpeg does if anything.

Thanks, yeah thats what I want. I'll take a look at it

Syphax
Feb 14, 2005

by Lowtax
How do I tell Konqueror to stop asking me to store passwords? I think I may have done it before, but for some reason I'm not having any luck this time. (Kubuntu 7.04)

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Jonny 290 posted:

I accidentally nuked my trash can icon on Feisty last night. How can I get it back (or create a shortcut that I can drag down to avast-window-navigator)?

Right click a panel and select add, the trash icon is listed as one of the things available.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Does anyone have any experience with using suspend2? I can boot off the suspend2 kernel, and the hibernate function works fine. But the suspend function appears to work in that my laptop goes into the suspend/standby mode, but when I try to start it up again, the screen won't turn on. The screen is completely black and the backlight doesn't come back on, but I can here the fans running again so I think something might be working but my screen isn't.

I can't get back to a console screen or anything either. It seems like the screen isn't on at all. Would something show up in a log somewhere? I don't know where to start with figuring out how to fix this.

Boody
Aug 15, 2001
I have an old shuttle SN45G machine which has a Radeon 7000/VE, running Gentoo and up until recently connected to a crappy 15" LCD monitor. I've been trying all night to connect it to a Sony HDTV I recently bought via an DVI to HDMI convertor but can't seem to get the resolution above 720x480 (usually 640x480). Am I just out of luck with this card or not configuring it correctly? I had it running at 1024x768 on the old LCD monitor, so know it should be able to handle at least that but can't figure out how to force it to do non-standard resolutions.

I've tried adding modelines for 720p and 1080i resolutions that match the TV I have (according to a google search) but I don't get the correct resolution when I restart X. get-edid and parse-edid only return 720x480 and 1920x540 (doesn't work) and I also tried a bunch of things such as disabling edid within my xorg.conf but with no joy. I have seen a lot of recommendations for installing powerstrip to get the values for the modelines but I don't have windows on this machine and would prefer not to have to install it.

If it's the card, does anyone have suggestions for a suitable replacement? It's got to be AGP and reasonably small to fit into the shuttle case. I don't seem to have much luck with ATI and linux, so would say an Nvidia FX5200 or FX5500 be a better choice?

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

The screen is completely black and the backlight doesn't come back on, but I can here the fans running again so I think something might be working but my screen isn't.

I had suspend2 running on a cheap Dell Inspirion about a year back and pretty sure it did something similar. In order to get round the problem you needed to get suspend2 to run an executable which reset the video bios or reinitialised it. That was with onboard Intel graphics.

Yaksha
Jun 28, 2005

Demilich
I recently setup a Linux Desktop for the first time, Debian. It's fun to play with, but I don't think I'll have it replace my Windows PC.

One thing I would like to do, and I'm pretty sure I can do this, is use the box as an SSH tunnel when I'm using external wireless.

Basically, whenever I'm out of my place, at a hotel or a hot spot, I'd like to get online but make sure the information I am sending out is encrypted without relying on the router to protect me. I'm sure I've read in the past I can do this by connecting to the WLAN, then creating a tunnel between my laptop and the Linux PC at my home.

That way all traffic, whether it's HTTP, FTP, etc. will go through my Linux box at home and people won't get any useful data from sniffing.

Is this doable or is it something I dreamed up?

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

Yaksha posted:

I recently setup a Linux Desktop for the first time, Debian. It's fun to play with, but I don't think I'll have it replace my Windows PC.

One thing I would like to do, and I'm pretty sure I can do this, is use the box as an SSH tunnel when I'm using external wireless.

Basically, whenever I'm out of my place, at a hotel or a hot spot, I'd like to get online but make sure the information I am sending out is encrypted without relying on the router to protect me. I'm sure I've read in the past I can do this by connecting to the WLAN, then creating a tunnel between my laptop and the Linux PC at my home.

That way all traffic, whether it's HTTP, FTP, etc. will go through my Linux box at home and people won't get any useful data from sniffing.

Well it is pretty easy, you will need an SSH server accessible remotely. This means you either need a static IP or an updating service like DynDNS. It is not quite that simple though; as you can only tunnel traffic from applications that support proxying in the first part. You basically ssh to your server to forward a particular local port, and then set the application to use localhost:port as the proxy. Google for ssh proxy.

If you want a full-fledged tunnel for all traffic, you need a VPN. With OpenVPN, this is not too hard either.

In both cases, you will need to be able to install software/change settings on the computer you're using, so you will want to have your own.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Yaksha posted:

This is what vpn is designed to do. Checkout openvpn, it is super easy to use and provides exactly the service you are looking for.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Here at work, I've set up a little computer with Ubuntu server. Its only role at the moment will be to provide a virtual printer that makes PDFs and all sorts of fancy stuff. I've got all that down, and working... and I'm failing at the actual printer part. :shobon:
The virtual printer is shared over the domain with SAMBA, and it's run with CUPS.
If I browse to this server from any windows machine on the domain, I can see it has a printer. I'm all excited, and want to add it to my list of network printers, and that's when it goes to poo poo, like this:

If I click on OK, I can find the drivers for the virtual printer that I've created*, and no matter how many times I change the printer make/model in CUPS, I still have the same problem when I try to add it from a Windows machine.

It's a problem because when the project is rolled out, there are 60+ employees who will need to add this printer, and most of them have no loving clue. So, it would need to be seamless. Even better, scripted.

* If i manually tell Windows what make/model the virtual printer is, everything works great.

So, how do I make the installation of this virtual printer easy on a Windows machine?

Alfajor fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 3, 2007

minute
Jul 31, 2003

I'm running utorrent through wine, and everything seems to work okay, except for some torrents where I can't connect to the tracker. How can I fix this? Or, I wouldn't mind switching over to a linux client, so is there one that's as light on resources as utorrent with all/most of the features?

Unrelated question, what's a good program to for podcasts?

minute fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 5, 2007

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

minute posted:

I'm running utorrent through wine, and everything seems to work okay, except for some torrents where I can't connect to the tracker. How can I fix this? Or, I wouldn't mind switching over to a linux client, so is there one that's as light on resources as utorrent with all/most of the features?

It is exceptionally unlikely that this has anything to do with Linux; it is probably just an issue with that particular tracker. Can you connect to it with the same network setup+uTorrent in Windows?

I highly recommend deluge, although I have never used uTorrent. Azureus' features can be nice at times, but it has some serious issues with resource consumption and runaway java threads.

minute
Jul 31, 2003

thenameseli posted:

It is exceptionally unlikely that this has anything to do with Linux; it is probably just an issue with that particular tracker. Can you connect to it with the same network setup+uTorrent in Windows?

I highly recommend deluge, although I have never used uTorrent. Azureus' features can be nice at times, but it has some serious issues with resource consumption and runaway java threads.

Yes, I tried the torrents in windows with uTorrent, and they seem to work fine. I was thinking about deluge, but it looks like there's no easy way to uninstall it in case I don't like it, other than manually removing all the files, so I'm kind of wary of installing it.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

minute posted:

Yes, I tried the torrents in windows with uTorrent, and they seem to work fine. I was thinking about deluge, but it looks like there's no easy way to uninstall it in case I don't like it, other than manually removing all the files, so I'm kind of wary of installing it.

There are packages on their site for Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, Gentoo and Arch, so uninstalling packages will work the same way as anything else.

teapot fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 5, 2007

minute
Jul 31, 2003

teapot posted:

There are packages on their site for Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, Gentoo and Arch, so uninstalling packages will work the same way as anything else.

Oh, you're right. I guess I was looking at and older version that had to be built with a python script.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.
I just upgraded my Ubuntu, and now the Gnome System/Quit... menu only has an icon for "Lock Screen" - all the other options ("Log Out", "Switch User", "Suspend", "Hibernate", "Shut Down") just have a blank space where the icon should be. I haven't been able to find any docs explaining where Gnome looks for each icon - does anybody know what filenames these icons should have, or where I should be looking to find out?

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

JoeNotCharles posted:

I just upgraded my Ubuntu, and now the Gnome System/Quit... menu only has an icon for "Lock Screen" - all the other options ("Log Out", "Switch User", "Suspend", "Hibernate", "Shut Down") just have a blank space where the icon should be. I haven't been able to find any docs explaining where Gnome looks for each icon - does anybody know what filenames these icons should have, or where I should be looking to find out?

/usr/share/icons/<theme>/<size>/<section>
For example, /usr/share/icons/gnome/48x48/apps/gnome-session-hibernate.png

You probably used a theme that was removed or renamed over the upgrade, go to the theme configuration utility (gnome-theme-manager) and choose another theme.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.

teapot posted:

/usr/share/icons/<theme>/<size>/<section>
For example, /usr/share/icons/gnome/48x48/apps/gnome-session-hibernate.png

You probably used a theme that was removed or renamed over the upgrade, go to the theme configuration utility (gnome-theme-manager) and choose another theme.

Thanks - turns out none of the themes I had installed even included the 48x48 dir. Only the "Human" theme, which is the Ubuntu default, includes them. I uninstalled a bunch of packages that I thought I wasn't using before the upgrade, so I didn't have to waste time downloading updated versions of all of them, and even though I'd switched to a different icon theme it was still falling back to the ones from Human for all the icons that weren't included in that theme.

EDIT: a little more complex than that. If you look in the icon theme directory, you'll find an index file describing the contents (/usr/share/icons/<theme name>/index.theme). One line will be "inherits=<list of themes>" (or "Inherits="). It seems like the themes in the latest version inherit things differently, or something, because the icons only showed up when I actually set the theme to "Human". I had to add "Human" to the inherits line of every other theme I wanted to use.

JoeNotCharles fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 6, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.
I didn't see anything about this in the thread, but forgive me if this has been covered.

Is there a way to replace the Ubuntu logo with the Footprint logo of GNOME?