Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

anthonypants posted:

A good distro would have stopped you and made you type in --no-preserve-root before it broke anything. I think SELinux might also disallow you from killing your system like that but I'm not sure.

yeah, I'm using the latest version of Ubuntu server and it made me type that in.

But that's not as exciting of a story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Yay, now do a fork bomb.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Renegret posted:

hi linux thread

I don't actually have a question, I just wanted to say that I'm learning the CLI and I just did a rm -rf / in a VM just to get it out of my system.

It feels like a rite of passage, watching this VM destroy itself from the inside.

The rite of passage is desperately hitting ctrl+C and restoring the system using only bash built-ins and the 4 binaries left in /usr/sbin, I think.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

evol262 posted:

The rite of passage is desperately hitting ctrl+C and restoring the system using only bash built-ins and the 4 binaries left in /usr/sbin, I think.

well I don't know how to do that quite yet but I have the alcoholism part of it down at least

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I just spent a fair amount of time playing with my Nvidia settings trying to get my secondary monitor to display. I eventually noticed that the power light on the monitor was dark, and that the power strip it's plugged into had gotten unplugged from the wall. :doh:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

evol262 posted:

Gotta love echoing wildcards to list directories because you have no ls.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Following this thread to see how much of a mess Arch is, people might as well jump into the deep end with Slack. :shepicide:

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Isn't it dodgy to 'rm - rf /' on an efi system? Something about how the files in /boot/efi can affect hardware handling and in a rare edge case it could physically damage the compooota?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

apropos man posted:

Isn't it dodgy to 'rm - rf /' on an efi system? Something about how the files in /boot/efi can affect hardware handling and in a rare edge case it could physically damage the compooota?

You're thinking of writeable EFI variables mounted under /sys. /boot/efi is just a plain FAT32 filesystem.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

apropos man posted:

Trashing the contents of /boot is like the primary reason it's given its own partition and isn't mounted at boot.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Buttcoin purse posted:

I keep hearing about how great ZFS is because it has checksums of some sort, but I'd prefer to stick to a mainstream filesystem, preferably one supported by Red Hat, so I think I'll stick with XFS because I'm a coward. Are there any better options than just going into every directory and running sha256sum>sha256sums.txt, then using sha256sum --check sha256sums.txt later, such as a tool that can do that recursively for me, and maybe tell me if there are any files that don't have checksums stored or automagically work out which ones need to be recalculated?

A little late with this post, but I've been running ZFS on Linux at home for well over 4 years now. I've got a 32TB raidz2 and a smaller 16TB raidz1 for all my linux ISOs and documentaries about Linux. It was initially created on an Ubuntu install, and has migrated over one entire computer rebuild and a full OS swap (running Arch Linux now). It's been incredibly rock solid. Significantly more the mdadm. It's basically brain dead easy to setup on Ubuntu on Arch (Antergos' installer even has ZFS built right in so you can create pools, volumes, etc right from the get go).

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Stanley Pain posted:

A little late with this post, but I've been running ZFS on Linux at home for well over 4 years now. I've got a 32TB raidz2 and a smaller 16TB raidz1 for all my linux ISOs and documentaries about Linux. It was initially created on an Ubuntu install, and has migrated over one entire computer rebuild and a full OS swap (running Arch Linux now). It's been incredibly rock solid. Significantly more the mdadm. It's basically brain dead easy to setup on Ubuntu on Arch (Antergos' installer even has ZFS built right in so you can create pools, volumes, etc right from the get go).

Gotta have those 4k rips of Revolution OS

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

... so you can see the greasy sweat glistening in Stallman's beard. Hmm. Ooh. Yeah.

Seriously, though: up to 16TB of Linux documentaries? Would you care to name a couple that are really good (besides Revolution OS, I've already seen that)?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I think he's talking about those Linux documentaries your friend from Sweden brings you. Or something.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Let's say I have a really old, out-of-date CentOS 6 box with a similarly old, out-of-date repo, and it makes yum report errors like this:
code:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home%3A/satya164%3A/fedorautils/Fedora_6/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] PYCURL ERROR 22 - "The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found"
Trying other mirror.
To address this issue please refer to the below knowledge base article

[url]https://access.redhat.com/articles/1320623[/url]

If above article doesn't help to resolve this issue please open a ticket with Red Hat Support.
I know that this error is generated from the fedorautils repo. What I would like to do is figure out what packages would have been installed with this repo. There's nothing with @fedorautils under yum list installed, so maybe they were moved into a different repo at some point? Maybe nothing was ever installed from that repo? I'm pretty sure it's ok to remove this from yum.repos.d but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything before that happens.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

anthonypants posted:

Let's say I have a really old, out-of-date CentOS 6 box with a similarly old, out-of-date repo, and it makes yum report errors like this:
code:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home%3A/satya164%3A/fedorautils/Fedora_6/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] PYCURL ERROR 22 - "The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found"
Trying other mirror.

If above article doesn't help to resolve this issue please open a ticket with Red Hat Support.
I know that this error is generated from the fedorautils repo. What I would like to do is figure out what packages would have been installed with this repo. There's nothing with @fedorautils under yum list installed, so maybe they were moved into a different repo at some point? Maybe nothing was ever installed from that repo? I'm pretty sure it's ok to remove this from yum.repos.d but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything before that happens.

I'm on my phone but look at the rpm command's query output options. pretty sure it can tell you the repo a package came from. do a -qa to query all installed packages.

But I am pretty sure that yum command should work, so maybe you really have no packages from that repo????

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Googling said I could use repoquery, but that didn't find anything either so I'm just going to remove it and hope for the best. There's a lot of garbage on this VM (bluetooth support? smart card daemon?) so I'm not all that worried about losing Fedora packages.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

anthonypants posted:

code:
Trying other mirror.

anthonypants posted:

code:
Trying other mirror.

Just remove the repo. Removing the repo won't get rid of any of of the packages which were installed.

If that was legitimately a Fedora 6 repo, you can just 'rpm -qa | grep fc' to find them (and this would be bad, since EL6 is Fedora12-13, basically).

Otherwise, 'rpm -qa |grep gpg-pubkey' to get a list of the installed keys.

In short:
code:
rpm -qa gpg-pubkey* | xargs rpm -qi
#Read through the listing and find out what keys you [i]do[/i] want, like the official signing key. Write down Version: 12abcdef somewhere, because that's in the key from rpm -qa -qf...
rpm -qa --qf '%{NAME} %{SIGPGP:pgpsig}\n' | grep -v keys -v you -v want
If that list looks sane, pipe it into "xargs yum -y remove"

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

anthonypants posted:

Yumdb is one option, 'yumdb search from_repo fedorautils'.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I remember reading when Skylake processors came out that the support for HD 530 graphics was terrible. Has it improved/was there actually a problem?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

thebigcow posted:

I remember reading when Skylake processors came out that the support for HD 530 graphics was terrible. Has it improved/was there actually a problem?

IIRC there was a really goddamn buggy intel driver for a while, had all sorts of displayport problems, screen flickering and spamming errors in syslog. It was fixed relatively quickly.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

While we're on the subject of graphics, I'd just like to say that I took the plunge and installed Fedora 25 beta two days ago on my laptop. Wayland is default on 25 beta and should be default when it's official next week. No problems with Wayland on Haswell mobile integrated graphics. I'm only doing general purpose stuff like browsing and videos but it's been A.O.K.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

apropos man posted:

While we're on the subject of graphics, I'd just like to say that I took the plunge and installed Fedora 25 beta two days ago on my laptop. Wayland is default on 25 beta and should be default when it's official next week. No problems with Wayland on Haswell mobile integrated graphics. I'm only doing general purpose stuff like browsing and videos but it's been A.O.K.

Exciting news! Wayland brings a bunch of stuff to the table I'd really like to see (like individual window scaling), but last time I tried it, not only did it not work, but having it installed broke X11 as well. Good to hear it's more fully baked now.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

My laptop froze up today and I didn't see any choice but to hard boot it. It happened when I decided to move it into another room in my house, it had been plugged in overnight so the battery would have been fully charged during the transfer which probably only took 30s. I unplugged it, moved it, re-plugged it in, and then tried to use it, and found it to be completely unresponsive. The screen had stopped updating, keyboard seemed unresponsive, Ctrl-Alt-F1 didn't work. I tried some fancy Alt-SysRq commands and that didn't seem to have any effects whatsoever, I was gonna try to ssh into it from another box but couldn't see what ip it was on the network.

I had a bunch of apps open on that, and didn't really want to have to hard reboot it. Anyways, who is most likely to blame for something like that? lovely X server, lovely nvidia drivers(been burned by them plenty), some kind of ACPI poo poo(since it happened during unplug/replug), lovely old rear end hardware, other?

Linux Mint 17.3, Cinnamon desktop
Lenovo W510 from 2010
NVIDIA Corporation GT216GLM [Quadro FX 880M] (rev a2)

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

ToxicFrog posted:

Exciting news! Wayland brings a bunch of stuff to the table I'd really like to see (like individual window scaling), but last time I tried it, not only did it not work, but having it installed broke X11 as well. Good to hear it's more fully baked now.

I wonder if there's a Wayland equivalent of X11VNC.

I use X11VNC around the home, on odd occasions when I can't do something easily from ssh and I like the fact that I don't need to have VNC server running permanently, can just selectively ssh in and run it for a few minutes. The boxes I log into are mostly Ubuntu, so it's not really a problem until Ubuntu move to Wayland (are they still going with Mir?) but I'd hate to lose something like X11VNC, which I find really useful.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

peepsalot posted:

My laptop froze up today and I didn't see any choice but to hard boot it. It happened when I decided to move it into another room in my house, it had been plugged in overnight so the battery would have been fully charged during the transfer which probably only took 30s. I unplugged it, moved it, re-plugged it in, and then tried to use it, and found it to be completely unresponsive. The screen had stopped updating, keyboard seemed unresponsive, Ctrl-Alt-F1 didn't work. I tried some fancy Alt-SysRq commands and that didn't seem to have any effects whatsoever, I was gonna try to ssh into it from another box but couldn't see what ip it was on the network.

I had a bunch of apps open on that, and didn't really want to have to hard reboot it. Anyways, who is most likely to blame for something like that? lovely X server, lovely nvidia drivers(been burned by them plenty), some kind of ACPI poo poo(since it happened during unplug/replug), lovely old rear end hardware, other?

Linux Mint 17.3, Cinnamon desktop
Lenovo W510 from 2010
NVIDIA Corporation GT216GLM [Quadro FX 880M] (rev a2)

My guess would be the Nvidia drivers, but that is based on my highly anecdotal experience with them on my desktop the last several months. I was getting artifacting, freezing, and the occasional hard lock for a while there and it correlated with a driver update and also with bad Nvidia drivers on the Windows side, too. An update or two ago the Windows side stabilized, and on the Linux side my drivers updated a week or so ago, and the system has been behaving smoothly since then. OpenSUSE 42.1 with the KDE 5.5.5 desktop here, GTX 660 graphics card. Driver version is 367.57.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Retardo question coming in;

I've built a VM in Virtualbox with CentOS 7 installed along with Confluence which is configured to the point I'm all happy with it, and I want to move it over to Hyper-V.

Now I've already started this VM as a .VHD so I create a new VM in Hyper-V and try to use this VHD but it isn't selectable, so I use the Convert-VHD powershell function to change the VHD to a VHDX which Hyper-V now accepts.

Now when I try to boot the VM it keeps going into emergency mode;

If I boot into the built in rescue mode CentOS would load fine and I could get Confluence up and running, but today I figured I would tackle this problem but I've just made it worse and now I can't boot it at all. I tried the resolution steps from HERE but I'm not sure I'm doing it right, whenever a rescue disk is mentioned I've used the CentOS7 minimal image to boot from and gone from there.

EDIT: I should note my Linux knowledge is pretty drat scant apart from the bare basics

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Can you post your kernel command line? /proc/cmdline from "emergency mode" (the dracut shell) is fine.

There is a root=... stanza. It's possible that converting the disk changed something in the way it's identified. /dev/mapper would also be helpful to see

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Finally gave in to the notifications to upgrade from Kubuntu 14.04 LTS to 16 and it seems to have totally borked the system. Guess it's time to download an image and do a fresh install. Is switching distro while keeping the same /home partition a bad idea?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Pablo Bluth posted:

Finally gave in to the notifications to upgrade from Kubuntu 14.04 LTS to 16 and it seems to have totally borked the system. Guess it's time to download an image and do a fresh install. Is switching distro while keeping the same /home partition a bad idea?

Being able to do that is one of the main reasons to keep home on a separate partition to begin with. Just make sure your account's uid and gid stay the same or chown the files and folders accordingly.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

thebigcow posted:

It's gotten better (it was just miserable on Linux 4.5.x and 4.4.x for different reasons), but on my convertible tablet with an HD 515 graphics on certain websites in Firefox it'll occasionally hang for ten seconds and then continue with slight graphical corruption that can be cleared away by scrolling. One in ten or so of those times, Chromium based programs (Skype, Discord) completely break until I restart Xorg.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I made a server for plex/transcoding/downloading and since I didn't want to buy a redundant computer for streaming to my main TV, I used Ubuntu so everything I needed could be installed without bending over backwards trying to get everything to work in Linux's special little way. Unfortunately, that happened anyways. I got a motherboard with on board Bluetooth since I didn't want to have to find an adaptor that would work well and I read that the bt that came with Intels wireless modules worked well enough. I tried a couple distros and versions like Steamos just because. The bt worked just fine in those, but when I got around to finalizing everything in Ubuntu server 16, the tot suddenly stopped working. The bt manager in the setting just shows "no bluetooth found" even though listing things in terminal showS the os sees the adapters Ive tried with it. . Ive attempted to install various bt-related programs, but nothing has worked. I could always reinstall Ubuntu, but I'm afraid (read: paranoid) of losing the plex settings & metadata I have as well as the lvms I have my plex media on. Has anyone run into something like this and or know how I can get bluetooth working again? If I must I could reinstall the OS, but Id like to know everything would be safe.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

What if there was a thing that was a cross between synergy and vnc, so cursor can move across monitors between different boxes(basic synergy), but also if you drag a window off the edge of the screen of one computer, it would flow onto the next screen, across different platforms(like vnc but only sending individial window updates instead of full screen). Is something like that even feasible? I don't suppose that software this useful actually exists, or something close?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

peepsalot posted:

What if there was a thing that was a cross between synergy and vnc, so cursor can move across monitors between different boxes(basic synergy), but also if you drag a window off the edge of the screen of one computer, it would flow onto the next screen, across different platforms(like vnc but only sending individial window updates instead of full screen). Is something like that even feasible? I don't suppose that software this useful actually exists, or something close?
You mean like VirtualBox's Seamless Mode?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQr8iI0yZH4

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So I'm considering ditching monit and hopping on the collectd bandwagon. What's the current hotness for display? influxdb+grafana? Ideally I'd like something that has sensible defaults for all the metrics collectd is storing, which doesn't seem to be the case with grafana, but I'm willing to hand-assemble the dashboard if I have to, and I'd rather do that and have nice interactive graphs than have something that's automatically set up but looks like garbage, which seems to be the case with most of the RRDTool-based frontends.

And while I'm on the topic, are there any good tty frontends for collectd? Something like atop that displays collectd metrics would be pretty sweet, but the collectd wiki only seems to list web-based frontends. (My use case here is, honestly, purely eye candy; I'd like to display a collectd dashboard on my server without needing to install X11 and a web browser on it.)

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

ToxicFrog posted:

So I'm considering ditching monit and hopping on the collectd bandwagon. What's the current hotness for display? influxdb+grafana? Ideally I'd like something that has sensible defaults for all the metrics collectd is storing, which doesn't seem to be the case with grafana, but I'm willing to hand-assemble the dashboard if I have to, and I'd rather do that and have nice interactive graphs than have something that's automatically set up but looks like garbage, which seems to be the case with most of the RRDTool-based frontends.

And while I'm on the topic, are there any good tty frontends for collectd? Something like atop that displays collectd metrics would be pretty sweet, but the collectd wiki only seems to list web-based frontends. (My use case here is, honestly, purely eye candy; I'd like to display a collectd dashboard on my server without needing to install X11 and a web browser on it.)

Grafana is pretty easy to configure, I mainly use to dashboard my graphite data.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

evol262 posted:

Can you post your kernel command line? /proc/cmdline from "emergency mode" (the dracut shell) is fine.

There is a root=... stanza. It's possible that converting the disk changed something in the way it's identified. /dev/mapper would also be helpful to see

If I remember from this morning /proc/cmdline couldn't find the directory, the last thing I tried was a rescue CD to regenerate initramfs with the difference this time using dracut -v. I was then able to boot fine but my files were missing particularly everything in /opt/, I tried rsyncing the lot from my first VM which didn't quite work out so I ended up tearing the whole thing down and installing from scratch anyway.

I probably did everything rear end backwards since I don't properly know enough, but reinstalling was simple enough once I got Confluence back up since I could just upload a backup.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Are there any simple precautions I can take to prevent my AWS instance from being taken over by that mirai flaw? I already have all my ports closed by default apart from 22, 80 and 443 (only my ip). It looks like my image provider bitnami isn't supporting my version anymore so I don't think there's any patches available. This is bitnami Moodle 2.7 if that makes a difference.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

SnatchRabbit posted:

Are there any simple precautions I can take to prevent my AWS instance from being taken over by that mirai flaw? I already have all my ports closed by default apart from 22, 80 and 443 (only my ip). It looks like my image provider bitnami isn't supporting my version anymore so I don't think there's any patches available. This is bitnami Moodle 2.7 if that makes a difference.
Mirai is a malware that takes over stuff like internet connected cameras through cunning strategy of trying a few dozen factory passwords. It got nothing to do with AWS. Keeping your software up to date with security patches is a good idea in general though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

And a firewall. A comical number of problems completely go away if you take care to whitelist the a small number of incoming connections you actually need.