Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«720 »
mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

operating system in french is "système d’exploitation"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Yam Slacker

Docjowles posted:

Oh my god how have I never been aware of TempleOS before right now Did that dude really post to YOSPOS for a bit before getting trolled into oblivion?

So the story goes. I've been wanting to read those YOSPOS threads for years now (I'm sure they're magnificent), so if anyone has a link, I'd be eternally grateful.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Powered Descent posted:

So the story goes. I've been wanting to read those YOSPOS threads for years now (I'm sure they're magnificent), so if anyone has a link, I'd be eternally grateful.
If you've got archives, they're not hard to find.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

TempleOS actually has some really clever features that make you question the implementation of things in Linux or Windows. https://tinyurl.com/y76p9fb2 at about 1:45 into the video as an example of what I'm talking about. He has images and videos built directly into the source code. The question really comes up, why can't we have images built directly into Terminals? Sometimes it takes a mentally disturbed person to break convention to allow others to notice can be improved. Throwing a theoretical example such as "ls -EP" to show thumbnails of all images in a directory inside the terminal. Unix/Linux was devised in the 70s to mainly handle math and text documents. 40 years later it's still functionally the same yet the type of files it is encountering has progressed vastly.

mystes
May 31, 2006

YouTuber posted:

TempleOS actually has some really clever features that make you question the implementation of things in Linux or Windows. https://tinyurl.com/y76p9fb2 at about 1:45 into the video as an example of what I'm talking about. He has images and videos built directly into the source code. The question really comes up, why can't we have images built directly into Terminals? Sometimes it takes a mentally disturbed person to break convention to allow others to notice can be improved. Throwing a theoretical example such as "ls -EP" to show thumbnails of all images in a directory inside the terminal. Unix/Linux was devised in the 70s to mainly handle math and text documents. 40 years later it's still functionally the same yet the type of files it is encountering has progressed vastly.
There are a bunch of linux terminals that directly support displaying images, like kitty and terminology. I don't know if there is a replacement for ls that takes advantage of this to show thumbnails, but it would be pretty easy to make one of there isn't.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Ranger+w3m has term support for displaying images as well.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

There's been pictures of Tux in the console boot process in Linux for as long as I can remember, and fbdev has been around for like 20 years?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

The issue has never been whether it could be done, it's more that people realized they don't really give a poo poo and the feature dies on the vine.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

When you put it that way... I can't believe there hasn't been at least one person who'd stop at nothing until the output of "ls -l" included a high-res still with correct subs from every anime in their collection.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Last year there was a Suse employee who was working on a kernel module to make the boot process be all graphical, no more text lines (even if modules would print them), and was using fbdev. After people berated him for not using DRM/KMS he kinda gave up. No idea how far along was he, but still, it's a bit sad.

The Milkman
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Lipstick Apathy

Images in terminal was one of those “neat but why” things until I saw Rails added inline screenshots of failures while running browser tests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

YouTuber posted:

IPython has been around for 17 years and ELOG has been around for at least 10.

«720 »