Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I don't know why I haven't found this before, but apparently someone has been low-key working on parallelizing rc in FreeBSD for quite a while. So I've deployed that on my server and will test it over the next while.

EDIT: And in case you wonder if it makes a difference, this is the default graph and this is the parallel graph.

xzzy posted:

Fuckin nfs mounts man, users can't get enough of that poo poo. gently caress yeah I want all my storage available everywhere!!
As soon as it gets a bit warmer outside, I'm going to take my T420 with a WWAN connection, throw a custom-built FreeBSD image on there with kTLS and NFSv4.2 over TLS.
The RFC is still being drafted, and FreeBSD has the first implementation ready.

xtal posted:

I don't have experience with windows NFS so I could be wrong, but I think it's just fine. There are some functional differences between it and SMB as far as semantics for authentication. But they're mostly equivalent. (Compared to, for example, sshfs, which wouldn't work well for multiple clients.)
The only requirement for NFS in Windows is that the user doesn't run the Home version, as it's available in all other versions.
I've been using it at home since Windows 10 came out, it's pretty loving great.

Once I get everything transferred to my new server and get an Intel X520-DA2 based NIC and a couple of SSDs for L2ARC and SLOG in ZFS, I'm going to see what kind of numbers I can get out of it.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm really appreciating how easy it is to create a bootable linux distro USB stick in any OS now. I just had the unfortunate experience of trying to create a windows bootable USB without any windows machines.

It is astonishingly hard to create a Windows installer USB stick without access to Windows. [snip]

Use Ventoy for everything. Dump the windows .iso of your choice in the main folder and It. Just. Works.

I have had a single boot USB for a while now with whatever the latest release of win10 is and a bunch of Linux distros, all together.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

NihilCredo posted:

Use Ventoy for everything. Dump the windows .iso of your choice in the main folder and It. Just. Works.

I have had a single boot USB for a while now with whatever the latest release of win10 is and a bunch of Linux distros, all together.

Thanks, this is a good suggestion.

Also on the topic of backup before messing with the bootloader with a new OS, I highly recommend borg backup, and very nice GUI for it Vorta. Way more space efficient than rsync since it does deduplication with hard links and a variety of compression methods, allowing you to trade the speed of the backup for more space efficacy and versioning. Combine it with a more discrete versioning tool like etc keeper if borg is too blunt in it for you and include that git archive it creates.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Nitrousoxide posted:

It is astonishingly hard to create a Windows installer USB stick without access to Windows.

I've had issues in my latest windows install and WoeUSB worked like a charm in the end, now you've already done it but it's a pretty neat utility.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I just want to say that if you want an opportunity to see what garbage tire fire you can get if you throw random poo poo together without rhyme or reason, try looking at Docker. Docker continually leaks inodes when you use overlayfs. I am, right now, running rm -rf /var/lib/docker/ on one of our slave nodes because somehow Docker filled up 4 million inodes.

code:
Filesystem      Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/xvdg      4915200 4854994   60206   99% /var/lib/docker
Docker is what happens when you get a bunch of developers saying "hey, regexes and tailing log files is a good idea".

Just going to quote this helpful post from almost five years ago. Came here to ask for help figuring out why the gently caress a VM running nothing but a few Docker containers was using 3.5 million inodes. Fortunately I did a quick search and turned up this post. The disk has been spinning for ten minutes deleting a ton of 1 byte files, but so far I've freed up 1.9 million inodes.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Is there any way on FreeBSD to check the IOMMU groupings like you can on Linux? I want to check how the UEFI has set them up to determine which devices I can pass through to bhyve VMs. I suppose I could just boot into a Linux distro to check, but I'm curious if there's a way to do it natively in FreeBSD.

Also I have an Intel X520 NIC and am tinkering with SR-IOV. I can successfully create virtual functions but FreeBSD doesn't seem to be able to attach the ixv(4) driver to them. Looks like this fairly longstanding bug:
https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=211062

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
https://github.com/cilium/arping/blob/ec36642003a58a1c3b36b3850341840ab24c30a3/arping_linux.go#L34

Socket question: What the hell is this FD_SET function doing. I have already RTFM a few times over for the different relevant syscalls.

https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man2/select.2.html
https://linux.die.net/man/3/fd_set

I realize they might have just taken it from this example https://play.golang.org/p/LOd7q3aawd

robostac
Sep 23, 2009

Methanar posted:

https://github.com/cilium/arping/blob/ec36642003a58a1c3b36b3850341840ab24c30a3/arping_linux.go#L34

Socket question: What the hell is this FD_SET function doing. I have already RTFM a few times over for the different relevant syscalls.

https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man2/select.2.html
https://linux.die.net/man/3/fd_set

I realize they might have just taken it from this example https://play.golang.org/p/LOd7q3aawd

The arguments to select are large bitsets to show which file descriptors to monitor. As there isn't a 1024 bit type this is done by having an array of 16x64 bit values and using the FD_SET/FD_CLR macros to add / remove file descriptors from the set (eg stdin is file descriptor 0 and would set the first bit of the first 64 bit value). It's a much more efficient way than having a large array of values and the usual c api hides this implementation in the system header files so you don't need to know how it works and can just use the macros. Unfortunately golang just exposes the raw type without any helpful functions to operate on it so you have to write the FD_SET macro yourself.

https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man2/select.2.html explains it a bit clearer than your links.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm using Fedora with the KDE Plasma desktop. I tried to install a couple LibreOffice applications this morning, but Discover didn't work as expected. It asked me to input my password, then the status went from "Downloading" to "Installing", but then the button changed back to "Install" rather than "Remove". I successfully installed Telegram, so the whole thing isn't borked. What could be causing the trouble with LibreOffice?

Edit: installing the whole suite worked fine :shrug:

hooah fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 9, 2021

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

xtal posted:

I don't have experience with windows NFS so I could be wrong, but I think it's just fine. There are some functional differences between it and SMB as far as semantics for authentication. But they're mostly equivalent. (Compared to, for example, sshfs, which wouldn't work well for multiple clients.)

:confused: What are you talking about? SSHFS works just fine for multiple clients; the big strike against it is that there is no good windows implementation.

Windows NFS is ok for some use cases but is missing some important features, notably recursive mounts, so if you have, say, mountpoints /foo, /foo/bar, and /foo/bar/baz on the server (say, because you use ZFS and have a bunch of small datasets with specialized configuration for different kinds of data) you have to mount all of those separately on the windows side, you can't just mount /foo and get all of its submounts for free like you can with Linux NFS clients. Depending on your use case this is either completely irrelevant or (as it was for me) a complete dealbreaker. If it's not a dealbreaker for you, I would recommend just using NFS.

For SMB, the big land mine (apart from it being a pain in the rear end to set up the server in general) is that you cannot connect to the same server multiple times from windows with different credentials. If you do this by accident you will get fairly opaque errors that will require a bunch of loving around with the net command and multiple reboots to untangle. If you have multiple SMB shares on the same server that require different credentials I think you're just hosed.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

hooah posted:

I'm using Fedora with the KDE Plasma desktop. I tried to install a couple LibreOffice applications this morning, but Discover didn't work as expected. It asked me to input my password, then the status went from "Downloading" to "Installing", but then the button changed back to "Install" rather than "Remove". I successfully installed Telegram, so the whole thing isn't borked. What could be causing the trouble with LibreOffice?

Edit: installing the whole suite worked fine :shrug:

It is highly recommended that you use the cli to install stuff. I typically use the gui package manager to figure out a package name, then open a terminal and install by hand.

Those gui managers, ime, like to fail in such a way that it leaves the package database screwed up and in need of fixing

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

RFC2324 posted:

It is highly recommended that you use the cli to install stuff. I typically use the gui package manager to figure out a package name, then open a terminal and install by hand.

Those gui managers, ime, like to fail in such a way that it leaves the package database screwed up and in need of fixing

Alright. I figured I could use the cli if all else failed, but I wasn't sure how to get the correct package name. Your method sounds like a good route.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Discover is poo poo. Use apt or aptitude. Aptitude has a ncurses UI if you prefer visual interfaces.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I almost always use CLI because ya, in general the gui based package managers are not very good (mostly just slow in my experience and with bad to ok search), but I've generally had positive experiences with discover as they go. It includes flatpack which is sweet, since I otherwise need to search the website.

I've never heard of them corrupting your database so that's a new one though.

If your using Linux more than as a email reader / browser then you probably should get familiar with the CLI, most of what you can or should do is going to be from a command prompt at some point.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 9, 2021

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Mr. Crow posted:

I almost always use CLI because ya, in general the gui based package managers are not very good (mostly just slow in my experience and with bad to ok search), but I've generally had positive experiences with discover as they go. It includes flatpack which is sweet, since I otherwise need to search the website.

I've never heard of them corrupting your database so that's a new one though.

Its happened to me on both Fedora and Ubuntu back when I still played with that occasionally. I think what was happening was it was getting a failure to install a thing, and trying to roll back the entire transaction that the underlying package manager had already dealt with. No matter what, it left me with a handful of broken packages, but not bad enough to be more than inconvenient to fix.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SamDabbers posted:

Is there any way on FreeBSD to check the IOMMU groupings like you can on Linux? I want to check how the UEFI has set them up to determine which devices I can pass through to bhyve VMs. I suppose I could just boot into a Linux distro to check, but I'm curious if there's a way to do it natively in FreeBSD.

Also I have an Intel X520 NIC and am tinkering with SR-IOV. I can successfully create virtual functions but FreeBSD doesn't seem to be able to attach the ixv(4) driver to them. Looks like this fairly longstanding bug:
https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=211062
I have no idea about Linux, so I don't know how it's accomplished there, and it's not something I've tried yet, since I haven't had the hardware for it. Generally speaking, anything that's on a PCI hub can be passed through, though you may encounter issues with the PCI BAR, which is one of the things holding back GPU passthrough, if memory serves.

Looking at the relevant changes to the tree, I don't know if anything's changed.
However, I'll have a look at this once I get one of these for my server - I've found one used for $36, but monies is tight so it might take a while. :(

EDIT: Have you tried grabbing the untouched Intel drivers?

EDIT2: Perhaps I should explain a bit? Intel of course publishes their own drivers for FreeBSD (and I just asked for permission to bump the version in the Makefile for the port, assuming it passes buildtesting on all supported platforms), but the driver in FreeBSD has long-since been converted to a new framework called iflib(9), which is designed around the idea of avoiding all the boilerplate code that's used by every single driver, but which needs someone to manually edit it for every single driver if it changes.
Naturally, the advantage is that if a fix (security or otherwise) needs to get applied to this boilerplate code, iflib makes this a lot easier. The downside is that it's slightly more of a maintenance burden to import drivers, but Intel was one of the companies who worked with Intel to develop iflib, so it's a mystery to me why the bug is still in the base system - but then, I don't work at Intel nor know anyone there, so for all I know, they could be hard at work or hardly working.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 9, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mr. Crow posted:

I almost always use CLI because ya, in general the gui based package managers are not very good (mostly just slow in my experience and with bad to ok search), but I've generally had positive experiences with discover as they go.

The times I've tried to use Discover (which was usually on accident due to not paying enough attention to a pop-up window) "slow" has been my most common observation. It's been so slow sometimes I thought it was hung, and even then I usually kill the process and install another way.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I used Discover the other day to install a package on my work computer (Ubuntu). It loving installed a snap of that package. drat it to hell and their lovely snaps.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Vendored packaging is a curse upon all of opensource, and it's amazing to me how people who're so much up in arms about binary blobs are perfectly fine with installing ones as long as they're completely impenetrable blobs of supposedly open code, when let's be honest, what's the likelyhood it's even had any eyeballs on it, let alone those of the creator?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I'm using Deja Dup to backup my poo poo on Ubuntu, and I have it set to automatically backup everyday. The storage drive I back up to is encrypted (formatted in ext4, if that matters), so unless I've manually unlocked the drive that day, the backup fails. Is there any way around this? I'm also bothered by not being able to minimize the gui window while it's backing up, so if there's a better program to use, I'm v open to suggestions.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I don't think so, having to unlock the drive to do anything is one limitation (or benefit, looking at it another way) of full-disk encryption. You could unlock the drive automatically with a key file but that defeats the purpose of encrypting it.

Is there any reason you encrypted the entire drive? DejaDup can already encrypt the backups on its own.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Volguus posted:

I used Discover the other day to install a package on my work computer (Ubuntu). It loving installed a snap of that package. drat it to hell and their lovely snaps.

Snap is an abomination.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
What's the opinion about flatpak?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Kassad posted:

What's the opinion about flatpak?

It's fine

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

What’s bad about snap?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
There's a lot of negatives tied to snap, here are a few

It's closed source.
It's owned by Canonical so it's just them trying to control linux again.
It disregards the users theme.
It installs updates in the background and checks for updates several times a day. (this can be configured however but you can't turn automatic updates off)
I believe that you have to use the Snap Store to get access to the snaps which is again owned by Canonical.
Distribution maintainers can't ensure the quality of the software that's released in snap format so it invites buggy software onto your system.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't Flatpak basically the same thing though? I would say no to it. Just use your package manager.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

xtal posted:

Isn't Flatpak basically the same thing though? I would say no to it. Just use your package manager.

The things that are bad about flatpak are also bad about snap, but snap adds a few uniquely bad twists on its own.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lol if you use ubuntu in azure through your work account canonical salespeople will track you down on linkedin and start spamming you.
https://mobile.twitter.com/LucaBongiorni/status/1359560585990537216

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 12, 2021

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mystes posted:

Lol if you use ubuntu in azure through your work account canonical salespeople will track you down on linkedin and start spamming you.
https://mobile.twitter.com/LucaBongiorni/status/1359560585990537216

At least they aren't messaging your friends, or whatever they call your 'network' in Linked in

Everyone in your network sees a post that mystes is spinng up Azure VM's

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

At least they aren't messaging your friends, or whatever they call your 'network' in Linked in

Everyone in your network sees a post that mystes is spinng up Azure VM's
Didn't facebook have stuff like that for a while where companies would try to get you to link your account and then they would automatically make posts like that?

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 12, 2021

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

xtal posted:

Not really no. Also there are plenty of valid reasons to prefer the universal package format they and AppImage provide, compression and built-in sandboxing being a couple good ones.

Snap is definitely hot garbage though.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Mr. Crow posted:

Not really no. Also there are plenty of valid reasons to prefer the universal package format they and AppImage provide, compression and built-in sandboxing being a couple good ones.

Snap is definitely hot garbage though.

While I can think of some very valid reasons to provide a flatpack (or snap, whatever) for your closed-source application, that you can guarantee to work on any system that supports the feature, there are no valid ones for normal, open-source, available in the repos kind of applications to be installed as a snap. "compression and built-in sandboxing" are ... in the best case scenarios, a liability, a bug, not a feature.

One of the reasons that snap pissed me off (other than the "on principle" one) was that it basically didn't work. Permissions to connect to the network maybe? No idea, maybe it was selinux, maybe it was something else, but for a database client application to not be able to do the very basic thing it was meant to do, yeah that's a bug. If it would have been a closed source, wine on top of docker on top of flatpack on top of virtualbox kind of application I would understand it not working. But it's opensource, it's in the repos, don't gently caress with me please.

I do not want sandboxing, I do not want compression, I do not want you to protect me from myself. I want to use the tool with as fewer barriers and layers as possible.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm just going to quote myself because :effort:

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Well, as is to be expected the only thing that matters is Number = Bigger when comparing FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE and 13.0-BETA1, but it's evident that Michael doesn't really know what's behind the improvements, and just guesses it's down to "hardware P-states or power management" or "other kernel improvements".
The likely culprit is a shitload of micro-optimizations to primitives used by both the kernel and userland, as well as big changes in the VFS and VM subsystems, along with a bunch of scalability improvements (which are to ensure FreeBSD runs well at up to 1024 threads). The majority of that work isn't even done yet, so there's plenty more Number = Bigger to be had.

Still no standard deviation, min/max values, mean/average/median reports, or confidence intervals - which suggests this isn't benchmarked properly.
It's frustrating that someone who makes it their business to report on statistics doesn't do it properly.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Volguus posted:

While I can think of some very valid reasons to provide a flatpack (or snap, whatever) for your closed-source application, that you can guarantee to work on any system that supports the feature, there are no valid ones for normal, open-source, available in the repos kind of applications to be installed as a snap. "compression and built-in sandboxing" are ... in the best case scenarios, a liability, a bug, not a feature.

One of the reasons that snap pissed me off (other than the "on principle" one) was that it basically didn't work. Permissions to connect to the network maybe? No idea, maybe it was selinux, maybe it was something else, but for a database client application to not be able to do the very basic thing it was meant to do, yeah that's a bug. If it would have been a closed source, wine on top of docker on top of flatpack on top of virtualbox kind of application I would understand it not working. But it's opensource, it's in the repos, don't gently caress with me please.

I do not want sandboxing, I do not want compression, I do not want you to protect me from myself. I want to use the tool with as fewer barriers and layers as possible.

Ok so don't use them? Just because you don't want sandboxing or any other features doesn't mean it's invalid. I hate discord and especially hate gtk. I don't want them polluting my OS any more than necessary and having to track down weird app compatibility issues. It's nice for the bi monthly time I play games with friends who refuse to use anything but discord. It's easy to strip away facilities I don't want the app to have with flatseal and being compressed it doesn't take up a bunch of storage for as infrequently as I use it. I also don't end up in dependency hell with 5 different app frameworks, I can just leverage QT for my day to day and toss anything else I use that doesn't have alternatives in some compressed image and forget about it.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Mr. Crow posted:

Ok so don't use them? Just because you don't want sandboxing or any other features doesn't mean it's invalid. I hate discord and especially hate gtk. I don't want them polluting my OS any more than necessary and having to track down weird app compatibility issues. It's nice for the bi monthly time I play games with friends who refuse to use anything but discord. It's easy to strip away facilities I don't want the app to have with flatseal and being compressed it doesn't take up a bunch of storage for as infrequently as I use it. I also don't end up in dependency hell with 5 different app frameworks, I can just leverage QT for my day to day and toss anything else I use that doesn't have alternatives in some compressed image and forget about it.

I'm sorry if it wasn't clear from my post: The snap was installed when I installed an application with KDEs Discover in Ubuntu. I didn't ask for snaps. The apps are available normally in the repos. I was just in a hurry, I needed a UI DB client now, and I didn't think much about how to get it. I learned my lesson and I'll never use that again, apt is the only way. It is extremely lovely from Ubuntu to do this. I don't hate the snap concept in and of itself. As I said, it has its uses. The way Ubuntu is shoving it down my throat when it doesn't have to does indeed piss me off.

With that being said:

quote:

I hate discord and especially hate gtk. I don't want them polluting my OS any more than necessary and having to track down weird app compatibility issues.

Sir, this is not windows here with ActiveX dlls peppered throughout system32. I can totally understand wanting to shove a proprietary application like discord into its own universe. Or if you want to use version X of app Y that is so old it can legally drink now and you don't want to make a VM for it. That makes total sense. However, all GTK applications that are found in a distro's repo should work with the GTK version that is shipped with that distro. If they don't, that's a bug on the package maintainer and should be fixed right away. The same goes for QT or any other library or framework. When you uninstall an app or a library, all the files that have been installed by that package go away with it.

The "polluting" argument is just silly on linux.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Volguus posted:

I'm sorry if it wasn't clear from my post: The snap was installed when I installed an application with KDEs Discover in Ubuntu. I didn't ask for snaps. The apps are available normally in the repos. I was just in a hurry, I needed a UI DB client now, and I didn't think much about how to get it. I learned my lesson and I'll never use that again, apt is the only way. It is extremely lovely from Ubuntu to do this. I don't hate the snap concept in and of itself. As I said, it has its uses. The way Ubuntu is shoving it down my throat when it doesn't have to does indeed piss me off.

With that being said:

Sir, this is not windows here with ActiveX dlls peppered throughout system32. I can totally understand wanting to shove a proprietary application like discord into its own universe. Or if you want to use version X of app Y that is so old it can legally drink now and you don't want to make a VM for it. That makes total sense. However, all GTK applications that are found in a distro's repo should work with the GTK version that is shipped with that distro. If they don't, that's a bug on the package maintainer and should be fixed right away. The same goes for QT or any other library or framework. When you uninstall an app or a library, all the files that have been installed by that package go away with it.

I think you misunderstand what he means by "polluting". He is referring to the indelible taint left behind when something so unclean touches your system.

Also, in practice poo poo like settings tend to get left behind most of the time, so there is some more literal pollution

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Volguus posted:

However, all GTK applications that are found in a distro's repo should work with the GTK version that is shipped with that distro. If they don't, that's a bug on the package maintainer and should be fixed right away. The same goes for QT or any other library or framework. When you uninstall an app or a library, all the files that have been installed by that package go away with it.

You have some very romanticized views on open source because that's not how things work in practice. This post reads like someone who has never had to deal with bullshit like gnome keyring and gpg. You basically could not use gpg in any meaningful way without a bunch of esoteric hack jobs (even more than the target application already requires) and gnome keyring would fight you tooth and nail to take over your system but also not implement any functionality. It got so much poo poo they neutered it for 18.04(?) and basically ripped it out and deprecated it.

That said I totally get being annoyed with canonical and them shoving snap down everybody's throat, canonical has really poo poo the bead last 5 years or so.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Mr. Crow posted:

This post reads like someone who has never had to deal with bullshit like gnome keyring and gpg.

I have not. I have been using linux on my personal computer for 20 years now, with at least 15 of them pretty much exclusively. And I have not, ever, used that. Since gnome 3, more than a decade ago, I have stopped using gnome altogether and have no plans of ever going back. I have encountered maintainer bugs where rpm X didn't work with library Y, but those usually just result in not being able to upgrade those packages. I think I have seen once or twice where packages were upgraded but they were just broken because of library incompatibilities. Fixed soon enough, however.

edit: now that I thought about it, I think I did see a newly installed KDE trying to pop something about keyring up in my face a few times. Since it was just annoying, I just unchecked the appropriate checkbox (there's no lack of those in KDE), told it to go take a hike, and it left me very much alone. It would have never occurred to me to go and change the entire package management system on my distro and how I work with things because of some silly program.

RFC2324 posted:

I think you misunderstand what he means by "polluting". He is referring to the indelible taint left behind when something so unclean touches your system.

I have absolutely no idea what that means. It's an .so, a file, an innocent, code-containing file, not Gollum.

RFC2324 posted:

Also, in practice poo poo like settings tend to get left behind most of the time, so there is some more literal pollution

Settings do. Though, those are usually in $HOME so they can be taken care of easily enough after a decade or so. I "refresh" my home folder once every 5-10 years. Snaps do not store settings in HOME though? Where do they put their crap? It's per-user in their own directories?

Volguus fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
Edit: Eh... no