Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

xtal posted:

Part of the reason for this is that btrfs and zfs are part filesystem and part volume manager. With ext4 you get extra features from layering it with other software, like lvm RAID and LUKS encryption.

Am I reading this right, that ZFS and BTRFS do not work well (or at all) with LUKS?

Because at-rest full-disk encryption seems extremely important for laptops which can get stolen quite easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011
Hi, I'm an obnoxious prick. If you see me posting outside of CSPAM, please tell me to go back where I belong.

NihilCredo posted:

Am I reading this right, that ZFS and BTRFS do not work well (or at all) with LUKS?

Because at-rest full-disk encryption seems extremely important for laptops which can get stolen quite easily.

All of them work with LUKS, even ZFS. The ZFS native encryption is different because it encrypts at the filesystem level rather than block device level, & and encrypts contents but not the metadata, meaning you can send backups and stuff around without decrypting the files. If that property is undesirable then you can just use LUKS.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

System Access Node Not Found

What's encryption got to do with the ability to zfs send|receive snapshots, exactly? They're entirely orthogonal.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

NihilCredo posted:

ZFS has encryption at fs level built in. BTRFS had the same planned at some point, but not right now.
You can put LUKS on the drive and btrfs on top without real problems. You encrypt below the mirroring, but that doesn't matter for a single drive laptop and barely matters otherwise.

Btw, we are talking about putting zfs/btrfs on a single disk laptop. Wasn't there some project that was trying to build a single disk fs with all the relevant features of zfs?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

System Access Node Not Found

ZFS native encryption is per-dataset, and a dataset is not a filesystem, what makes the filesystem dataset type functionally like a filesystem is the ZPL providing filesystem like behaviour on top of ZFS dnodes.
Then there's the other dataset type, which is volumes, which appear like character devices to the OS.

It's my dream that one of the postgres developers will eventually be convinced to add a third dataset with the key=value store properties necessary for putting a postgres on top of ZFS while bypassing the ZPL (which it really doesn't need) as this would negate a whole series of codepaths necessary to deal with ACID compliance in postgres.

Similarily, it should be possible to use that key=value store with a userspace daemon, to do a distributed filesystems on top of ZFS.
(This is not completely unlike what LLNL is doing with OpenZFS on Linux and Lustre, as that ties heavily into the DMU - but there's a surprisingly scarse amount of resources on that)

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 26, 2021

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

VictualSquid posted:

Btw, we are talking about putting zfs/btrfs on a single disk laptop. Wasn't there some project that was trying to build a single disk fs with all the relevant features of zfs?

Kent Overstreet has been working on bcachefs for a bunch of years. I subscribe to his patreon and he's got some corporate sponsorship.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

How can I get Windows to show up in Grub so that I can choose to boot to it:

This is the windows drive in fdisk -l

This is the output from sudo update-grub

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

HAIL SATAN

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

How can I get Windows to show up in Grub so that I can choose to boot to it:

This is the windows drive in fdisk -l

This is the output from sudo update-grub

I do that from YaST, but I remember other distros having similar bootloader configuration utilities.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Removed because I donít think this information is particularly useful

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Craptacular! posted:

Removed because I donít think this information is particularly useful

if we all followed this rule the forums would be empty

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006

You can grab the os-prober package that will automatically find windows and add it to your grub config

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

HAIL SATAN

imnotinsane posted:

You can grab the os-prober package that will automatically find windows and add it to your grub config

"Probe Foreign OS" is one of my favorite phrases - it just sounds so "Papers, please."