Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm fairly sure that's the exact way that's vulnerable to the exploit that I'm talking about, unless ps -x in the jail includes sshd like this:
pre:
78069  -  S    0:00.01 sshd: debdrup@pts/1 (sshd)

ah gently caress, it doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

So I've been trying to use this script to set up a service that will run minecraft inside my jail. I modified that script a bit and put it at /etc/rc.d/minecraft (my version). Then I added minecraft_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf.

But then I'm getting this error when trying to start the service:

code:
root@minecraft:/mnt/data # service minecraft start
env: /etc/rc.d/minecraft: No such file or directory
But the file is definitely there:

code:
root@minecraft:/mnt/data # ls -l /etc/rc.d/minecraft
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  2108 Jan 21 23:05 /etc/rc.d/minecraft
root@minecraft:/mnt/data # md5sum ./minecraft /etc/rc.d/minecraft
a863218636c70fd4ecff7fb6d8cf7107  ./minecraft
a863218636c70fd4ecff7fb6d8cf7107  /etc/rc.d/minecraft
What's going on?

E: FFUUUUCCK its because there were carriage returns in the file :downs:

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 22, 2022

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
systemctl enable --now minecraft.service

don't make this harder than it has to be

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

other people posted:

systemctl enable --now minecraft.service

don't make this harder than it has to be

we dont have systemd on freebsd!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If you have an rc script called foo, it's as simple as service foo enable.

I'm a bit confused by the use of screen instead of daemon(8) in the original script, but it's not like it matters all that much.

Also, the rc_debug variable is very helpful. :ssh:

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

VostokProgram posted:

we dont have systemd on freebsd!

that was the joke :hmmyes:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

VostokProgram posted:

Thanks for the explanation. I really should read the handbook and manpages instead of just bumbling through poo poo. I'm using truenas's UI to make the jail for me but then doing all the stuff in the jail using the shell (which is I think equivalent to ssh'ing into the jail)

Man pages should always be the first thing you look at, but they aren't going to actually help you understand best practice.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I have an Ubuntu EC2 instance with 8GB RAM that is constantly running low on memory (<2%) and I am having a hard time finding the process that is using it.

running "ps aux | awk '{print $6/1024 " MB\t\t" $11}' | sort -n" produces

code:
[a bunch of items using 0 memory]
0.164062 MB             /usr/sbin/blkmapd
0.1875 MB               /usr/sbin/rpc.idmapd
0.8125 MB               sort
0.839844 MB             /usr/sbin/acpid
1.71094 MB              /sbin/agetty
2.12891 MB              less
2.16406 MB              /sbin/agetty
2.33594 MB              /usr/sbin/atd
2.95703 MB              /usr/sbin/cron
3.17969 MB              awk
3.25391 MB              ps
3.53125 MB              /usr/sbin/irqbalance
3.70312 MB              /sbin/rpcbind
3.8125 MB               watch
3.81641 MB              watch
3.90625 MB              top
4.67578 MB              /usr/bin/dbus-daemon
4.72656 MB              (sd-pam)
4.73047 MB              /lib/systemd/systemd-udevd
4.89453 MB              /usr/sbin/rsyslogd
4.94531 MB              -bash
5.23828 MB              /usr/sbin/oddjobd
5.89453 MB              /lib/systemd/systemd-timesyncd
6.05469 MB              sshd:
6.0625 MB               /lib/systemd/systemd-networkd
6.61328 MB              /usr/lib/policykit-1/polkitd
7.13672 MB              sshd:
7.20312 MB              /usr/lib/accountsservice/accounts-daemon
7.28516 MB              /lib/systemd/systemd-logind
7.29688 MB              /usr/sbin/smbd
8.98438 MB              /usr/sbin/smbd
8.99609 MB              sshd:
9.22656 MB              /lib/systemd/systemd
9.46484 MB              /usr/sbin/smbd
9.78125 MB              /lib/systemd/systemd-resolved
12.1367 MB              /usr/sbin/snmpd
12.7539 MB              /lib/systemd/systemd
13.5273 MB              /usr/sbin/nmbd
16.4414 MB              /snap/amazon-ssm-agent/4046/amazon-ssm-agent
17.5 MB         /usr/bin/python3
17.5312 MB              /sbin/multipathd
19.9141 MB              /usr/bin/python3
22.0977 MB              /usr/sbin/smbd
24.5391 MB              /usr/sbin/rpc.mountd
25.3203 MB              /lib/systemd/systemd-journald
37.3047 MB              /usr/lib/snapd/snapd
38.0859 MB              /usr/sbin/apache2
40.3086 MB              /snap/amazon-ssm-agent/4046/ssm-agent-worker
63.8555 MB              /usr/sbin/apache2
65.6562 MB              /usr/sbin/apache2
66.4414 MB              /usr/sbin/apache2
66.9531 MB              /usr/sbin/apache2
67.1367 MB              /usr/sbin/apache2
67.168 MB               /usr/sbin/apache2
68.332 MB               /usr/sbin/apache2
69.1641 MB              /usr/sbin/apache2
69.2734 MB              /usr/sbin/apache2
73.6953 MB              /usr/sbin/apache2
which is roughly one gig. How can I locate what is using the other 7 gigs?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Well, ps(1) gets you process information from userspace so that's not the best utility for the job - but I'm 99% sure this advice isn't exclusive to freebsd which is where I use it.
The first stop with any memory debugging always has to be vmstat(8).

EDIT: Welp, I see that -m doesn't do what it does on freebsd and -z doesn't even exist - Is there anything that produces an output similar to this?

EDIT2: Also remember that for any modern OS, memory that isn't being used is not just wasted electricity, it's also a wasted opportunity to cache some data (although ideally, you'd only cache it once in a unified buffer cache, rather than filesystem and block device like on Linux).

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jan 26, 2022

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

i'm 99% sure this advice isn't exclusive to freebsd which is where i use it, but the first stop with any memory debugging always has to be vmstat(8)

THIS GUY

vmstat will give you some more info on linux - but check this out as well

https://www.brendangregg.com/Slides/Velocity2015_LinuxPerfTools.pdf

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

THIS GUY

vmstat will give you some more info on linux - but check this out as well

https://www.brendangregg.com/Slides/Velocity2015_LinuxPerfTools.pdf
How do you get more info out of vmstat on Linux?
Did you check the link I added later on, the one that shows the output of vmstat -m?

And I know Brendan Greggs USE method - because he's been using it and talking about using it for everything from Solaris/Illumos over FreeBSD and to Linux since the time he was at Sun.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

How do you get more info out of vmstat on Linux?
Did you check the link I added later on, the one that shows the output of vmstat -m?

Not sure - I would want to see the output of free -m and maybe pidstat -r

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Agrikk posted:

I have an Ubuntu EC2 instance with 8GB RAM that is constantly running low on memory (<2%) and I am having a hard time finding the process that is using it.

running "ps aux | awk '{print $6/1024 " MB\t\t" $11}' | sort -n" produces

code:
[a bunch of items using 0 memory]
0.164062 MB             /usr/sbin/blkmapd
0.1875 MB               /usr/sbin/rpc.idmapd
0.8125 MB               sort
0.839844 MB             /usr/sbin/acpid
1.71094 MB              /sbin/agetty
2.12891 MB              less
2.16406 MB              /sbin/agetty
2.33594 MB              /usr/sbin/atd
2.95703 MB              /usr/sbin/cron
3.17969 MB              awk
3.25391 MB              ps
3.53125 MB              /usr/sbin/irqbalance
3.70312 MB              /sbin/rpcbind
3.8125 MB               watch
3.81641 MB              watch
3.90625 MB              top
4.67578 MB              /usr/bin/dbus-daemon
4.72656 MB              (sd-pam)
4.73047 MB              /lib/systemd/systemd-udevd
4.89453 MB              /usr/sbin/rsyslogd
4.94531 MB              -bash
5.23828 MB              /usr/sbin/oddjobd
5.89453 MB              /lib/systemd/systemd-timesyncd
6.05469 MB              sshd:
6.0625 MB               /lib/systemd/systemd-networkd
6.61328 MB              /usr/lib/policykit-1/polkitd
7.13672 MB              sshd:
7.20312 MB              /usr/lib/accountsservice/accounts-daemon
7.28516 MB              /lib/systemd/systemd-logind
7.29688 MB              /usr/sbin/smbd
8.98438 MB              /usr/sbin/smbd
8.99609 MB              sshd:
9.22656 MB              /lib/systemd/systemd
9.46484 MB              /usr/sbin/smbd
9.78125 MB              /lib/systemd/systemd-resolved
12.1367 MB              /usr/sbin/snmpd
12.7539 MB              /lib/systemd/systemd
13.5273 MB              /usr/sbin/nmbd
16.4414 MB              /snap/amazon-ssm-agent/4046/amazon-ssm-agent
17.5 MB         /usr/bin/python3
17.5312 MB              /sbin/multipathd
19.9141 MB              /usr/bin/python3
22.0977 MB              /usr/sbin/smbd
24.5391 MB              /usr/sbin/rpc.mountd
25.3203 MB              /lib/systemd/systemd-journald
37.3047 MB              /usr/lib/snapd/snapd
38.0859 MB              /usr/sbin/apache2
40.3086 MB              /snap/amazon-ssm-agent/4046/ssm-agent-worker
63.8555 MB              /usr/sbin/apache2
65.6562 MB              /usr/sbin/apache2
66.4414 MB              /usr/sbin/apache2
66.9531 MB              /usr/sbin/apache2
67.1367 MB              /usr/sbin/apache2
67.168 MB               /usr/sbin/apache2
68.332 MB               /usr/sbin/apache2
69.1641 MB              /usr/sbin/apache2
69.2734 MB              /usr/sbin/apache2
73.6953 MB              /usr/sbin/apache2
which is roughly one gig. How can I locate what is using the other 7 gigs?

Nothing crazy reported by Slabtop right?

Does dmesg report what is causing the memory pressure?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
vmstat results:

code:
ubuntu@ip-10-1-101-214:~$ vmstat
procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- -system-- ------cpu-----
 r  b   swpd   free   buff  cache   si   so    bi    bo   in   cs us sy id wa st
 0  0      0 386704 122676 7049068    0    0     0     4    6    7  0  0 99  0  0
Huh. So it looks like the bulk of my physical memory (7g) is simply being used as cache? So if I'm understanding this right, this is perfectly normal behavior for RAM utilization by the OS and I shouldn't be alarmed?

Which then means any physical memory alarms can be ignored unless other symptoms manifest themselves. Is that right?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Agrikk posted:

vmstat results:

code:
procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- -system-- ------cpu-----
 0  0      0 386704 122676 7049068    0    0     0     4    6    7  0  0 99  0  0
Huh. So it looks like the bulk of my physical memory (7g) is simply being used as cache? So if I'm understanding this right, this is perfectly normal behavior for RAM utilization by the OS and I shouldn't be alarmed?

Which then means any physical memory alarms can be ignored unless other symptoms manifest themselves. Is that right?

What is setting the alarms? Some kind of monitoring software?

You're not swapping so you're fine.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

What is setting the alarms? Some kind of monitoring software?

You're not swapping so you're fine.

Yeah. My monitoring software is reporting ~ 98% memory use and I was trying to figure out if I needed to resize this instance or if this was normal behavior. It looks like since I have 8gigs of physical RAM on the instance and 7gigs of it is used for cache I'm fine.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah whatever you're using for monitoring is being an idiot. You want the OS to use all the memory because it optimizes performance.

If it doesn't give that memory to processes that ask for it, that's a legit problem.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Agrikk posted:

vmstat results:

code:

This is how any modern OS behaves, even Windows (though it's less extreme about it than your average Unix-like).

The problems start occurring when you also have an OOM killer in Linux that has a decade worth of people talking bout its problems and not fixing them - but if you're not seeing that, then you're presumably fine.

xzzy posted:

Yeah whatever you're using for monitoring is being an idiot. You want the OS to use all the memory because it optimizes performance.

If it doesn't give that memory to processes that ask for it, that's a legit problem.
Also, like I alluded to before, it's just a waste of energy; it takes exactly the same amount of electricity to refresh memory that contains nothing, as it takes to refresh memory that contains something.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Though now I wonder if you could make a VM+hardware system that consolidated content into as few chips/sticks as possible and turned off refresh on the empty ones. It'd take Apple levels of integration, but maybe you could eek out some fractions of a Watt now and then?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Agrikk posted:

Yeah. My monitoring software is reporting ~ 98% memory use and I was trying to figure out if I needed to resize this instance or if this was normal behavior. It looks like since I have 8gigs of physical RAM on the instance and 7gigs of it is used for cache I'm fine.

I don't know what monitoring thing you're using, but I'd recommend reading into the different types of memory usage that linux has.

If you really want to alert on memory usage at all, then you should be doing (total memory in use - freeable memory) / total system memory
https://acloudxpert.com/working-with-memory-metrics-from-node-exporter/

Whenever a process does a malloc, the kernel can release its OS-cached memory in order to give it to the process.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah, modern OSes fill ram up as quick as they can as they cache everything you do, so they don't have to constantly fetch data over from low bandwidth and high latency hard drives (yes, this includes SSDs, even cheap modern ram has 25.6GB/s throughput) :v:

Computer viking posted:

Though now I wonder if you could make a VM+hardware system that consolidated content into as few chips/sticks as possible and turned off refresh on the empty ones. It'd take Apple levels of integration, but maybe you could eek out some fractions of a Watt now and then?

doubtful. you're probably saving more energy putting your pcie bus to sleep and using ram cache than you are flushing memory and loading poo poo from your ssd

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's a reason laptops throttle cpus badly and eschew fancy graphics chips.. if you want to save power, that's where it happens.

Keeping a screen lit up is a pretty substantial power draw too.

Getting rid of spinning hard drives was also a decent power savings move (plus you get massively improved performance).

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Computer viking posted:

If non-volatile flash ever gets the kinds of rewrite cycles that DRAM has at the kind of capacities you find for OS drives / resident memory sets, the industry will have to rewrite the OS' to take full advantage of it because there'd be no such thing as "installing" so much as simply loading the software once, and (demand) paging, rebooting, and everything of that nature will be a thing of the past.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The problems start occurring when you also have an OOM killer in Linux that has a decade worth of people talking bout its problems and not fixing them - but if you're not seeing that, then you're presumably fine.
Your FreeBSD holier-than-thou stepped over the line again.

The OOM killer is fine. Over-committing memory by default is fine. If you want to manage your services to avoid over commits and OOM conditions, that's also fine, but most people don't want to do that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Can you do memory usage - cache and use that in your metric?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I have a monitor that seems to be giving me some goofy grief on this new Kubuntu system I set up. When I come back from standby, it just won't get any signal. If you look at xrandr, it will initially not list it. I can set it as a display without it complaining, but the monitor still won't get a signal. I'm trying shenanigans physically with the ports and the like, but I wondered if anybody knew anything to also check in software (logs, utilities, whatever) to help me figure out why it's so grumpy when connected to this system.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Truga posted:

yeah, modern OSes fill ram up as quick as they can as they cache everything you do, so they don't have to constantly fetch data over from low bandwidth and high latency hard drives (yes, this includes SSDs, even cheap modern ram has 25.6GB/s throughput) :v:

doubtful. you're probably saving more energy putting your pcie bus to sleep and using ram cache than you are flushing memory and loading poo poo from your ssd

That would really depend on the workload, wouldn't it? If you're "just" streaming a video, you should theoretically be able to keep netflix/firefox and a reasonable buffer in RAM without touching the disk ... and not even that much RAM. On the other hand, I agree that the tradeoff between saving RAM refresh power vs wasting power on PCIe/storage would be difficult.

Besides, I can't immediately find any good power consumption numbers for modern laptop RAM, but I suspect it's low enough that it may not be worth the effort.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I have a Debian Bullseye system that I want to run with a read-only root filesystem. Root is on an SSD and key read/write sections of the filesystem are mounted to either tmpfs or partitions on an HDD.

Here is my fstab with UUIDs removed for length:

code:
# /
UUID=a           /             ext4          noatime,ro 0 1

# /tmp
tmpfs            /tmp          tmpfs         mode=1777 0 0

# /media
tmpfs            /media        tmpfs         mode=755 0 0

# /home
UUID=b           /home         ext4          defaults 0 2

# /var
UUID=c           /var          ext4          defaults 0 2

# /srv
UUID=d           /srv          ext4          defaults 0 2

# Swap
UUID=e           none          swap          sw 0 0
It seems to work with no complaints, but I have some questions.

1. Are there any options that I should have set but don't? For example, I've seen debate on whether /tmp should be noexec - some people say it's a good practice, other say things like installers often assume they can execute in tmp and that there are ways around noexec anyway so bad actors could still exploit it in any case.

2. Is there somewhere where write errors are logged when something tries to write to a file in a read-only filesystem? Some things inform me immediately, for example I can't change passwords because /etc/passwd is read-only, but I'm wondering about background stuff that is failing silently.

3. What should I do with /root? It's a home directory so I guess home directory things go there when root runs them, but so far it being read-only hasn't seemed to affect much. Is it important enough that it should get its own partition? Or, would it be permissible to symlink it to say, /home/root?

4. I'm potentially interested in using overlayfs to overlay /etc (read-only) with /var/local (read/write) so that /etc can be written to. During periodic maintenance I can remount root as read/write and move everything from /var/local to /etc. Are there any safety and security caveats to this? I'd also like to do this with only fstab, no startup scripts or anything. Is there any way I can guarantee that the overlayfs only tries to happen after /var is mounted (is this even a possible problem)?

edit: Regarding 4, I played around with it and got the overlay working (it turns out that order is incredibly important but systemd can handle that right as a mount option):

code:
overlay        /etc    overlay       lowerdir=/etc,upperdir=/var/etc,workdir=/var/etc.work,x-systemd.requires=/var 0 0
and I used /var/etc instead of /var/local (some Debian documentation suggested getting around read-only /etc by symlinking to read/write versions in /var/local but I feel like I'd rather just have a special place for this stuff).

However, even if the files /var/etc aren't currently being used I can't unmount the overlay from /etc without rebooting into recovery mode - it says it's busy. So unless there's a way around it, that's a little inconvenient.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 27, 2022

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

BattleMaster posted:

2. Is there somewhere where write errors are logged when something tries to write to a file in a read-only filesystem? Some things inform me immediately, for example I can't change passwords because /etc/passwd is read-only, but I'm wondering about background stuff that is failing silently.
You could overlayfs the whole thing to a tmpfs and then check for files in the overlay to see if anything had attempt to write to /. I'm not sure there's much practical difference between attempted writes being silently dropped and their just being discarded on reboot.

BattleMaster posted:

3. What should I do with /root?
If you're not actually logging in as root then probably nothing is writing to /root. It's probably fine to symlink it. Or just change root's homedir in /etc/passwd. /root exists outside of /home in part so that you can login to rescue the system in case /home doesn't come up, but your situation is far enough from the normal setup that this may not be relevant anymore.

BattleMaster posted:

4. I'm potentially interested in using overlayfs to overlay /etc (read-only) with /var/local (read/write) so that /etc can be written to.
My first thought would be to try to symlink /etc to writable storage instead. There's a bootstrapping problem there, but I think you could do it if you mount writable storage in initramfs before pivot_root is called. But that would require hooking initramfs which maybe you don't want to do. I admit I haven't thought about this very much.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Thanks!

Seems like leaving /root on the read-only volume is the way to go. If I'm ever logging into root, it will be because I'm in recovery mode to fix something at which point I'll be remounting root as read/write immediately anyway. So it probably will never matter that /root is normally read-only.

I did get /etc working with an overlay but after playing around with it, it seems like nothing that I use really writes to /etc during normal use. It's not a big deal to remount the fs when I want to install stuff or change configs, and because I'm the only user anyway I guess it doesn't matter that I can't do anything with users/groups/credentials without remounting. So I guess I'll just leave /etc as read-only until something becomes an issue.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

BattleMaster posted:

I have a Debian Bullseye system that I want to run with a read-only root filesystem. Root is on an SSD and key read/write sections of the filesystem are mounted to either tmpfs or partitions on an HDD.

Here is my fstab with UUIDs removed for length:

code:
# /
UUID=a           /             ext4          noatime,ro 0 1

# /tmp
tmpfs            /tmp          tmpfs         mode=1777 0 0

# /media
tmpfs            /media        tmpfs         mode=755 0 0

# /home
UUID=b           /home         ext4          defaults 0 2

# /var
UUID=c           /var          ext4          defaults 0 2

# /srv
UUID=d           /srv          ext4          defaults 0 2

# Swap
UUID=e           none          swap          sw 0 0
It seems to work with no complaints, but I have some questions.

1. Are there any options that I should have set but don't? For example, I've seen debate on whether /tmp should be noexec - some people say it's a good practice, other say things like installers often assume they can execute in tmp and that there are ways around noexec anyway so bad actors could still exploit it in any case.

3. What should I do with /root? It's a home directory so I guess home directory things go there when root runs them, but so far it being read-only hasn't seemed to affect much. Is it important enough that it should get its own partition? Or, would it be permissible to symlink it to say, /home/root?

4. I'm potentially interested in using overlayfs to overlay /etc (read-only) with /var/local (read/write) so that /etc can be written to. During periodic maintenance I can remount root as read/write and move everything from /var/local to /etc. Are there any safety and security caveats to this? I'd also like to do this with only fstab, no startup scripts or anything. Is there any way I can guarantee that the overlayfs only tries to happen after /var is mounted (is this even a possible problem)?

edit: Regarding 4, I played around with it and got the overlay working (it turns out that order is incredibly important but systemd can handle that right as a mount option):

code:
overlay        /etc    overlay       lowerdir=/etc,upperdir=/var/etc,workdir=/var/etc.work,x-systemd.requires=/var 0 0
and I used /var/etc instead of /var/local (some Debian documentation suggested getting around read-only /etc by symlinking to read/write versions in /var/local but I feel like I'd rather just have a special place for this stuff).

However, even if the files /var/etc aren't currently being used I can't unmount the overlay from /etc without rebooting into recovery mode - it says it's busy. So unless there's a way around it, that's a little inconvenient.

Depending on what you're actually doing you might be interested in Fedora CoreOS, AFAIK its the only distro designed around an immutable FS

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm just messing around and I guess I wanted to see how extreme you could get as far as reducing writes to an SSD. Not that it was exactly hammering my SSD to begin with - just an experiment that ended up being interesting. So it's no big deal if things don't work out.

But I'd never heard of Fedora CoreOS before and it definitely looks interesting, so I think I'll give that a try in a VM. Thanks!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
How do I set up an schroot into an OS I have on disk as a directory? I put the folder in /srv/schroot and added a record to it in my /etc/schroot.conf. I can specify it as an schroot target but all it does is put the alias for the target in front of my shell and keep me in my original file system. I was hoping to switch over to it, use the package manager inside of it, and execute builds from inside of it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How do I set up an schroot into an OS I have on disk as a directory?
You want something like this:
code:
sudo sh -c 'cat > /etc/schroot/chroot.d/focal' << 'EOF'
[focal]
type=directory
description=Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (Focal Fossa)
directory=/var/chroot/focal
users=(your user id)
preserve-environment=true
EOF
schroot -c focal
as an example.

Also note that schroot is the old, or at least no longer maintained way of doing it this. It still works fine, but in the modern era you'd make a systemd service with the RootDirectory, MountAPIVFS, and BindPaths options (e.g., /home /run /tmp). The service can be whatever daemon or a dummy one inside the chroot and once started you can bring up a shell inside the chroot with "nsenter -m -t `pidof daemon`".

If you just wanted a generic chroot with systemd I'd probably look into running init as the service, or just straight up use systemd-nspawn/machinectl but I haven't gotten there yet myself.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 28, 2022

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
So I've been stuck on Lubuntu 18.04 for a while now, they converted everything to LXQt and don't support upgrades from 18.04. I'm not really married to Lubuntu and I like Xubuntu on one of my laptops just fine, so my thought is to sidestep the whole LXDE<->LXQt issue and jump ship for XFCE.

In Googling around a bit, it sounds like I can simply sudo apt install xubuntu-desktop, reboot into XFCE and apt purge lubuntu-desktop.

Any obvious pitfalls I'm missing in the above? I'm assuming system config like my fstab file will be untouched? I have /home/ backed up to my NAS so it's not the end of the world to nuke and install fresh, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You want something like this:
code:
sudo sh -c 'cat > /etc/schroot/chroot.d/focal' << 'EOF'
[focal]
type=directory
description=Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (Focal Fossa)
directory=/var/chroot/focal
users=(your user id)
preserve-environment=true
EOF
schroot -c focal
as an example.

Also note that schroot is the old, or at least no longer maintained way of doing it this. It still works fine, but in the modern era you'd make a systemd service with the RootDirectory, MountAPIVFS, and BindPaths options (e.g., /home /run /tmp). The service can be whatever daemon or a dummy one inside the chroot and once started you can bring up a shell inside the chroot with "nsenter -m -t `pidof daemon`".

I will verify my config tomorrow but I thought it was similar. I will have to look particularly at preserve-environment though.

I did not know about that systemd method. I also can't act like I know systemd but it is on my bucket list so I guess it's time I joined this new century with it instead of schroot.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Any decent-but->$250 tablets that are capable of being “upgraded” to ZorinOS 16 (lite or core, core preferred!)? I have a really old iPad and enjoy the form factor, but have been really enjoying my 2011 laptop since I dug out a 2.5” SSD to replace its HDD. I know part of the reason I’m having a good time with the laptop is that I loaded Zorin 16 on it and it is amazing how well this thing looks and feels now. I have been using it for a few weeks now, and am willing to work with any tablet-friendly Linux, but I’m just not wanting to learn Android while getting used to both Win11 and my Zorin computers. I know I’ve seen Ubuntu on a tablet before, and Z is a derivative of U, but they don’t make decent iPads for my budget.

TL;DR: Any good (I’m assuming Android) tablets that can load a “normal” Linux distro well without days of configuration and tweaks? >$250 for something reasonably more modern than an iPad3?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Looking at that distro, it looks like it only supports x86_64 computers. Not sure there are any inexpensive x86_64 tablets out there.

In theory you can run some manner of Linux on Chromebook or Chromebook tablets, but that is beyond me. Also many of them these days are arm64 not x86_64.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
I'm trying to set up some monitoring of my servers with access restricted to a Wireguard VPN, so I have a wg master runing on one server and a bunch of vms on several different hosts that expose the monitoring service on the wg interface.

The problem is that every time I restart wg on the main wg server after I add a new peer, all the other peers stop responding to the peer running the monitoring system until I ping it.

After restarting wg-quick@wg0 on ::1, ::3 can't make HTTP connections to ::4-6 until I ping ::1 from ::3 and then ::3 from each host.

Is there something I can do to make the peers reconnect automatically after the wg master resets? Making a cron job that pings ::3 every five minutes seems inelegant.

code:
[Interface] 
Address = 10.66.66.8/24,fd42:42:42::8/64
PostUp = wg set %i private-key /etc/wireguard/wg0.private

[Peer]
PublicKey = XXXXXXX
PresharedKey = YYYYYYYY
Endpoint = 123.123.123.123:54321
AllowedIPs = 10.66.66.0/24,fd42:42:42::/48
PersistentKeepAlive = 25 seems to do nothing.
All systems run Ubuntu Server 20.04

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

waffle iron posted:

Looking at that distro, it looks like it only supports x86_64 computers. Not sure there are any inexpensive x86_64 tablets out there.

In theory you can run some manner of Linux on Chromebook or Chromebook tablets, but that is beyond me. Also many of them these days are arm64 not x86_64.

Yeah, I had seen that as a restriction; I’d also seen that there are a few existing Linux-equivalents that run “on top” of an underlying Android install, some which have a great community behind them (most promising to me an Lubuntu and a Debian). I sorta have an experience with this, as I used to dual-boot Ubuntu 8.1-12.0 with Windows, and successfully got a very early Linux-MIPS installed onto a NEC MobilePro 780 over a decade ago just for shits, giggles, and not taking my antipsychotic meds for a few months.

Just didn’t know if there was something the gurus in this thread were aware of, because loading Calibre to Zorin16 on a tablet to read Kindle/iBooks (my actual main use case for a tablet) and also being able to sync lots of Edge tabs on my WiFi sounds great. I just need a more capable tablet and being seamless with my laptop running a web server upstairs and being able to play a few Steam games on my tablet sitting downstairs/on the back deck would be too awesome when Spring comes. It’s dumb and not important, but I do know enough to follow this thread, even if I do have several printed “CLI Cheat Sheets” on a TV tray for ZorinOS and Linux repositories 😵‍💫.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jan 28, 2022