Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sonic bed head
Dec 18, 2003

this is naturual, baby!

waffle iron posted:

Check the output of lsof as root. It should tell you every file descriptor/memory map open.

Thank you so much! That's amazing. I had no idea that command existed. It's basically unlocker for Linux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm trying to block that drat embedded yahoo messenger in yahoo mail on a squid box.

I edited the hosts file to point webcs.msg.yahoo.com and httpcs.msg.yahoo.com to 127.0.0.1 but nslookup is still returning good IP addresses.

I checked my host.conf and the order is correct for hosts,bind

Is there a cache somewhere to flush? I reloaded nscd, which should have cleared the cache according to google..

any ideas?

Lucien
May 2, 2007

check it out i'm a samurai ^_^

skipdogg posted:

I'm trying to block that drat embedded yahoo messenger in yahoo mail on a squid box.

I edited the hosts file to point webcs.msg.yahoo.com and httpcs.msg.yahoo.com to 127.0.0.1 but nslookup is still returning good IP addresses.

I checked my host.conf and the order is correct for hosts,bind

Is there a cache somewhere to flush? I reloaded nscd, which should have cleared the cache according to google..

any ideas?
Not all programs use /etc/hosts to resolve a domain name. You mentioned you use squid, why don't you just block the domains in the squid.conf?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Lucien posted:

Not all programs use /etc/hosts to resolve a domain name. You mentioned you use squid, why don't you just block the domains in the squid.conf?

I've got the domains blocked in squidguard, but they're still getting through. I'll look at modifying squid.conf as well.

edit: any you're right.. squid doesn't give 2 shits about the hosts file

edit2: maybe squid does care. the line in squid.conf for the host file was commented out. I uncommented it, and pointed it to /etc/hosts

We'll see what happens.

This has been making me crazy... I've blocked all IP's for both domains, and the domains themselves in squidguard and the poo poo still works. loving yahoo......

I know on the workstation if I set the hosts file to 127.0.0.1 for the domains it works.. I could update the 300 workstations here hosts file, but I'd prefer not to.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 24, 2009

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I've started using flickr_upload (http://search.cpan.org/~cpb/Flickr-Upload/flickr_upload) to get my pics on flickr. I still have to log in to my account to get the URL for the fullsize picture (e.g. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3393/3305419351_863285698b_o.jpg). Any way to retrieve this info from the command-line?

juggalol
Nov 28, 2004

Rock For Sustainable Capitalism
I'm looking for a quick, easy and painless way to stress test systems before they leave our manufacturing dept. All we're really concerned with is stressing CPU and RAM. I've played around with Inquisitor (https://www.inquisitor.ru), and had some measure of success with it, but I can't run the CPU and memory tests simultaneously, they seem to clobber each other, which results in the memory test failing.

Does anyone know of a good, easy to use bootable CD utility that will test both CPU and RAM? Memtest isn't sufficient, since it only works the CPU just enough to address memory and perform basic operations on it.

If anyone knows of such a magical tool that'll just boot + run, I'd be ever so happy.

sonic bed head posted:

Thank you so much! That's amazing. I had no idea that command existed. It's basically unlocker for Linux.

Check out http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/2007/09/advanced-lsof-usage-in-ubuntu-or-any.html - this has some quick and easy examples of how nice lsof really is. Just running "lsof" can be very slow, if you know what you're looking for and throw lsof a few arguments when you invoke it, it'll speed up considerably.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
My google-kungfu may be weak, but is there a simple or convient command to list all users that have access to your system?

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

Hughmoris posted:

My google-kungfu may be weak, but is there a simple or convient command to list all users that have access to your system?

You need to define "access".

If you just want a list of accounts on the system, cut -d : -f 1 /etc/passwd should produce that.

juggalol
Nov 28, 2004

juggalol posted:

Does anyone know of a good, easy to use bootable CD utility that will test both CPU and RAM? Memtest isn't sufficient, since it only works the CPU just enough to address memory and perform basic operations on it.

I've spent considerable time hunting around for this, with no real luck. So I wound up using remastersys to create my own bootable ISO image based on an already existing HDD install. Slapped down a pretty minimal Ubuntu 8.10 install, installed mprime and an init script to start it up in "torture" mode when the system boots.

As it turns out, I probably spent more time hunting for a pre-made tool than I actually did rolling my own. Remastersys is surprisingly easy to use - if you ever need to create your own custom bootable CD, it's a pretty handy tool to have.

Burning the .iso now, fingers crossed.

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO
I'm trying to get Ubuntu up and running on my house's public computer (been running off a Knoppix disk for awhile) but the install can't detect my SATA drive. I've dug around in the BIOS and can't seem to find anything to switch on/off - I figured I need to provide some sort of SATA driver but don't know what I need/where/when I need it. The board is an older Asus or Abit one, about 3 years old with an AMD 2500+ in it.

Install runs fine, but when I get to the partition manager it can't detect any drives and eats a donkey dick. Thanks.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Grigori Rasputin posted:

I'm trying to get Ubuntu up and running on my house's public computer (been running off a Knoppix disk for awhile) but the install can't detect my SATA drive. I've dug around in the BIOS and can't seem to find anything to switch on/off - I figured I need to provide some sort of SATA driver but don't know what I need/where/when I need it. The board is an older Asus or Abit one, about 3 years old with an AMD 2500+ in it.

Install runs fine, but when I get to the partition manager it can't detect any drives and eats a donkey dick. Thanks.
It helps to know the SATA chipset to diagnose further, though it's probably an old Silicon Image bolted on to the motherboard. I had one in an old home server, and it only runs in a non-IDE-compatible mode unfortunately. (it did, however, work for me in Linux just fine)

I'm having a disk-related issue with Ubuntu right now, specifically, Xubuntu. My 2nd hard disk that's used for storage on my home theatre PC spins up whenever I log out of XFCE, but not when I log out of bash. Only on logout too, not on login. Any ideas what could hit /mnt/storage on an X Window/XFCE logout on a clean profile? I removed tracker from the system, and updatedb is configured to skip the mount point, so anyone have any ideas? I've checked /etc/gdm/PostSession and /etc/xdg/xfce4/ for any logout scripts, and I can't see anything that would hit the 2nd disk. (especially since nothing was installed to it)

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
I'm running RedHat Enterprise Linux 5.1, and it's desperately (read: YEARS) behind on updates. I want to be able to download all available updates one night, then install them all the next.

I installed the yum-downloadonly plugin. So, should my procedure be:

yum update --downloadonly

-THEN-

yum update

Will yum know that those files are already download and ready to roll? Is there some other command I should be using?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

skipdogg posted:

I've got the domains blocked in squidguard, but they're still getting through. I'll look at modifying squid.conf as well.

Why use DNS to do this? Tried modifying squid.conf yet?

acl yahooim dstdomain msg.yahoo.com
http_access deny yahooim

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

ShoulderDaemon posted:

You need to define "access".

If you just want a list of accounts on the system, cut -d : -f 1 /etc/passwd should produce that.

getent passwd | cut -d : -f 1 would be better. Not all users are local.

juggalol
Nov 28, 2004

I'm trying to get a *complete* list of all of the files that rtorrent is using at a given time (trying to clean up disk space, want to make sure I'm not deleting something that rtorrent is seeding and wind up re-downloading it).

It isn't as simple as I thought it would be, though.

code:
$ lsof -p `pidof rtorrent` | wc -l
I am absolutely certain that rtorrent is actively seeding way, way more than 193 files.

Anyone know how I can get an actual complete list? Or is rtorrent doing something internally like releasing filehandles until it actually needs to do something with them?

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO
How do I get Ubuntu's remote desktop to resize the resolution on connect? I've done some googling but haven't had any luck. I'm running the standard poo poo that comes with the distro and connecting via Vista with the standard VNC client. I used a large clunky CRT and a 24" WS LCD remotely, so the resolutions are pretty disparate.

Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe
Did I f my raid 5 in the a?

I moved the 4 drives into a new machine. Both the old and new machines are Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.

I did a mdadm --create /dev/md0 .....

The raid did the normal syncing, but now I can't mount it. I try mount -t ext3 /dev/md0 /files and it tells me it can't find an ext3 filesystem on the device.

Did I gently caress it over by doing a create? Should I have done assemble instead? Ugh.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Grigori Rasputin posted:

How do I get Ubuntu's remote desktop to resize the resolution on connect? I've done some googling but haven't had any luck. I'm running the standard poo poo that comes with the distro and connecting via Vista with the standard VNC client. I used a large clunky CRT and a 24" WS LCD remotely, so the resolutions are pretty disparate.
I think you're locked in to whatever res your X server is configured for. You could try using xrandr to change that while you're logged in though, should be pretty easy to disconnect your 2nd monitor and scale down your primary to fit whatever screen you're using to VNC in. Ubuntu has its own GNOME App to change screen res and enable/disable monitors, so you can use that instead of going straight to bash and learning xrandr there.

quote:

Did I gently caress it over by doing a create? Should I have done assemble instead?
Yes and yes. Sorry mate. :(

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 27, 2009

Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe

LiquidRain posted:

Yes and yes. Sorry mate. :(

gently caress me :(

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

juggalol posted:

Anyone know how I can get an actual complete list? Or is rtorrent doing something internally like releasing filehandles until it actually needs to do something with them?

It does this. You'll need to directly investigate what torrents it is running.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Bender posted:

Did I f my raid 5 in the a?

I moved the 4 drives into a new machine. Both the old and new machines are Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.

I did a mdadm --create /dev/md0 .....

The raid did the normal syncing, but now I can't mount it. I try mount -t ext3 /dev/md0 /files and it tells me it can't find an ext3 filesystem on the device.

Did I gently caress it over by doing a create? Should I have done assemble instead? Ugh.

Run this: mdadm --auto-detect

Then cat /proc/mdstat
See whats there, it might have changed devices, though if you did a create and gave it the actual disk devices you could probably messed it up.

juggalol
Nov 28, 2004

ShoulderDaemon posted:

It does this. You'll need to directly investigate what torrents it is running.

Ouch. That's gonna take some time.

Thanks for letting me know, though. Maybe I'll shoot an e-mail with this question as a feature request ... because god drat, that's a pain in the rear end when you have a lot of torrents being managed.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Bender posted:

gently caress me :(

Welcome to Software RAID :(

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
This has been bugging me all day

new install of Fedora 10, for whatever reason the network throughput speed is very very slow. Right now it's running yum updates and they're downloading at 10kb/s. It's not a network issue because I have a XP machine sitting on the same switch that can get the full speed of the line (downloading megabytes per second). If I browse both of them to the same speed testing website they get scores which match what I'm seeing (dialup-esque linux and blazing fast windows)

What the heck is wrong with my linux box? At this point I'm kinda hoping that when yum finishes updating something will get patched and it'll work like a normal machine should.

I'm not very good at linux yet so please give the full commands I need for stuff I need to check.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Install yum-fastestmirror so yum chooses the fastest available mirror,

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

waffle iron posted:

Install yum-fastestmirror so yum chooses the fastest available mirror,

it's not just yum, as I said, if I go to a local speed test site ( http://jetstream.xtra.co.nz/bbspeed/xtra500.htm ) my linux box gets 10kb/s, while my windows box gets 2000kb/s (no I'm not running them at the exact same time).

They both connect to the same switch in the same network and I've already swapped ports and cables around.

Harokey
Jun 12, 2003

Memory is RAM! Oh dear!

NZAmoeba posted:

it's not just yum, as I said, if I go to a local speed test site ( http://jetstream.xtra.co.nz/bbspeed/xtra500.htm ) my linux box gets 10kb/s, while my windows box gets 2000kb/s (no I'm not running them at the exact same time).

They both connect to the same switch in the same network and I've already swapped ports and cables around.

Have you checked to make sure that your linux machine is doing full duplex and all that jazz?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
You'll probably get some improved responsiveness by disabling IPv6 lookups. But your best bet to troubleshoot might be to try a livecd of another distro to see if it's linux support of your hardware.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

waffle iron posted:

You'll probably get some improved responsiveness by disabling IPv6 lookups. But your best bet to troubleshoot might be to try a livecd of another distro to see if it's linux support of your hardware.

well I got something else to make this even more confusing.

I took a DSL connection that's separate from my main network, and that works at full speed on my linux box (makes me wish I tried that hours ago, finally got yum update to finish!). So there's something wrong with my main network that's causing this drama, be it proxy server or something else. There was a command I've since forgotten that I needed to enter to make the system accept my proxy servers IP address

How do I check duplex settings at the client side? (it plugs into a tiny switch). And how do I disable ipv6 lookups? When I was googling this problem I saw a number of people say to disable ipv6 dns lookups in firefox but that wouldn't propagate to the rest of the system would it? (they described a problem where firefox would be slow, but downloads were normal, different from my issue)

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

NZAmoeba posted:

well I got something else to make this even more confusing.

I took a DSL connection that's separate from my main network, and that works at full speed on my linux box (makes me wish I tried that hours ago, finally got yum update to finish!). So there's something wrong with my main network that's causing this drama, be it proxy server or something else. There was a command I've since forgotten that I needed to enter to make the system accept my proxy servers IP address

How do I check duplex settings at the client side? (it plugs into a tiny switch). And how do I disable ipv6 lookups? When I was googling this problem I saw a number of people say to disable ipv6 dns lookups in firefox but that wouldn't propagate to the rest of the system would it? (they described a problem where firefox would be slow, but downloads were normal, different from my issue)
Firefox is one of the few apps requests AAA records (IPv6 aliases). You can disable it system wide by putting ipv6 in the modprobe blacklist in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and restarting. As far as duplex modes go if would be useful to know what module it uses. For that the output of lsmod is useful.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

waffle iron posted:

Firefox is one of the few apps requests AAA records (IPv6 aliases). You can disable it system wide by putting ipv6 in the modprobe blacklist in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and restarting. As far as duplex modes go if would be useful to know what module it uses. For that the output of lsmod is useful.

blacklisted ipv6, no difference though

here's the lsmod output:
code:
lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
ipv6                  230132  10 
fuse                   49436  2 
sco                    12932  2 
bridge                 43668  0 
stp                     6148  1 bridge
bnep                   14848  2 
l2cap                  21504  3 bnep
bluetooth              48608  5 sco,bnep,l2cap
sunrpc                156052  3 
ip6_tables             14736  0 
cpufreq_ondemand        9996  1 
acpi_cpufreq           12172  1 
dm_multipath           17164  0 
uinput                 10624  0 
tg3                   107268  0 
floppy                 51988  0 
i2c_i801               12048  0 
libphy                 18560  1 tg3
serio_raw               8836  0 
iTCO_wdt               13732  0 
pcspkr                  6272  0 
iTCO_vendor_support     6916  1 iTCO_wdt
mptsas                 32264  2 
mptscsih               30848  1 mptsas
mptbase                68052  2 mptsas,mptscsih
scsi_transport_sas     25856  1 mptsas
radeon                237016  0 
drm                   157364  1 radeon
i2c_algo_bit            8836  1 radeon
i2c_core               21268  4 i2c_i801,radeon,drm,i2c_algo_bit

adante
Sep 18, 2003
I would like to install ubuntu on my laptop. I downloaded the 8.10 desktop cd and when booted, it gives me an

[ time] APIC: Aborted because crc error
[ time] crc error
[ time] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,1)

as per this page I tried booting with these options without any luck. I tried the alternate cd without any luck.

How can I install ubuntu?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

adante posted:

I would like to install ubuntu on my laptop. I downloaded the 8.10 desktop cd and when booted, it gives me an

[ time] APIC: Aborted because crc error
[ time] crc error
[ time] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,1)

as per this page I tried booting with these options without any luck. I tried the alternate cd without any luck.

How can I install ubuntu?
Someone was close when they said "noacpi" in that thread. What they should have said was "noapic".

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Edit: Double Post

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 13, 2017

Harokey
Jun 12, 2003

Memory is RAM! Oh dear!
I'm looking for an 802.11b (or g) PCI wireless adapter that will work out of the box on CentOS. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

GregNorc posted:

What's the best music program on linux right now? songbird?

Looking into a netbook for my next laptop, and iTunes is the only piece of software I haven't found an equivalent for.

Edit: I don't use anything advanced like smart playlists, just looking for something simple, like winamp was before they hosed around with it.

Songbird is pretty horrible IMO, but so is iTunes. Definitely not "something simple". If you like Winamp, how about using Audacious?

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

GregNorc posted:

Looking into a netbook for my next laptop, and iTunes is the only piece of software I haven't found an equivalent for.

Edit: I don't use anything advanced like smart playlists, just looking for something simple, like winamp was before they hosed around with it.

quod libet is small and light while retaining a library. You can do some fancy library searching, but if you don't it's a pretty decent basic audio player.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

sund posted:

quod libet is small and light while retaining a library. You can do some fancy library searching, but if you don't it's a pretty decent basic audio player.

I love Quod Libet, but it sounded like the guy really wanted something simpler. If he does want a library, QL is great. Another alternative is mpd along with Sonata or some other frontend, but QL is a lot easier to get working and has much better metadata support (mpd uses hardcoded values).

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

NZAmoeba posted:

"ethtool eth0" will tell you if it's full-duplex or not (along with lots of other details).

You can disable IPv6 by unchecking the "Enable IPv6 configuration for this interface" checkbox in system-config-network (Devices tab, select the device in question, click Edit). (This isn't causing your problem, though -- it would only make name resolution approximately twice as slow, not actual data transfers.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

GregNorc posted:

amaroK by far. It's a good, solid music player and music organizer.