Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

anthonypants posted:

CentOS (and Fedora) are kind of upstream of RHEL, so I'm gonna say almost exactly as long as RHEL

I'm pretty sure that's not the case, there have been a bunch of projects designed to provide security errata for centos.

https://petersouter.xyz/the-story-of-errata-for-centos/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved
Quite tight knit. Opened a bug report for a systemd incongruity and got sent straight to Redhat by the CentOS maintainers.

evol, work your magic. I need the e directive in tmpfiles to work per spec. :downsgun:

Major releases lag a month or less. Updates within the branch are 72 hours at most. I’ll look further tomorrow and maybe evol or someone on the inside is better positioned to answer that. AFAIK Redhat/CentOS is much more intertwined such that CentOS/EPEL backfeeds to RHEL releases for experimental releases. I recall coming across a presentation that suggests the relationship as so. Fedora is bleeding edge, RHEL your crotchety grandmother, and CentOS a compromise.

Edit: no dice on said presentation

nem fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 24, 2018

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
CentOS is basically RHEL with branding removed. It's affiliated with Red Hat the company since some years ago.

Fedora is where the new stuff happens, and it eventually trickles down to RHEL/CentOS, usually for major releases.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
When Fedora 29 comes out in a few days you'll no longer be able to use yum on the command line, as it won't link to DNF any longer.

I wonder when DNF will replace yum in RHEL/CentOS? Version 8? I imagine they'd keep the yum/dnf linking for a good while in the parent distro's, though. It could cause havoc with ancient scripts on production machines.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

kujeger posted:

CentOS is basically RHEL with branding removed. It's affiliated with Red Hat the company since some years ago.

Fedora is where the new stuff happens, and it eventually trickles down to RHEL/CentOS, usually for major releases.
They basically stopped giving a poo poo about CentOS giving their stuff back to the community once Oracle started siphoning their work up en masse and actually selling it at Oracle prices

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Vulture Culture posted:

They basically stopped giving a poo poo about CentOS giving their stuff back to the community once Oracle started siphoning their work up en masse and actually selling it at Oracle prices

Huh? I get oracle Linux sucks but redhat actually supports centos now. I think they bought them.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

jaegerx posted:

Huh? I get oracle Linux sucks but redhat actually supports centos now. I think they bought them.
The relationship between Red Hat and CentOS used to be somewhat strained in the RHEL5 days—RHEL maintainers often didn't take bug reports from people unless they could be reproduced on actual RHEL, for example. Things improved right around the time that Red Hat stopped supplying individual kernel patches in their kernel SRPMs because of Oracle Linux. It wasn't coincidence.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
Oracle Enterprise Linux "support" also is/was basically Oracle searching for the answers on red hat's subscriber-only areas.

Oracle has always been and always will be a horrible, awful company and you should never give them money.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

ToxicFrog posted:

Also, that will poo poo the bed if any of those folders have unusual names. And since you have -maxdepth without -mindepth it'll find /some/nfs/folder itself too, not just its subdirectories.

Use find -0/xargs -0, or, better, find -exec, and add -mindepth:

code:
find /some/nfs/folder -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 -type d -name "*$1" -exec mv -t "$RM_DIR" '{}' '+'

Bit late but this worked, thanks for that. The mindepth solved the issue. I tried -exec but didn’t get that working before but it did now!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

sounds like oracle. awful company.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Related, Oracle now charges per-core licensing for Java 11 in production unless you use OpenJDK. Had to have an argument over that at work yesterday, because somebody wanted to put the Oracle JDK into a base Docker image that gets used pretty extensively on a Kubernetes cluster that's currently running roughly 25 16-core nodes and autoscales. So assuming best case scenario and we literally never scale up, that's $2M in licensing a year. Could we just not? Could Oracle maybe just... stop?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Do I need to change the hosts file when my machine has a static IP?

Some .Net libraries return 127.0.1.1 when asking for the IPAddress of the machine. Debian/Ubuntu seems to fill this.

Ha, you can't seem to post the full path to the hosts file it seems, Cloud Flare throws a fit.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Do I need to change the hosts file when my machine has a static IP?

Some .Net libraries return 127.0.1.1 when asking for the IPAddress of the machine. Debian/Ubuntu seems to fill this.

Ha, you can't seem to post the full path to the hosts file it seems, Cloud Flare throws a fit.

127.0.0.0 is localhost. anything going to one of those addresses will come back to the machine itself.

127.0.1.1 is odd, but I've seen it before.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

127.0.0.0 is localhost. anything going to one of those addresses will come back to the machine itself.

Debian and derivatives use 127.0.1.1 all the time because of this bug: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=316099

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

Yes, but do I need to change it? And will it break other stuff? Or should it already have been changed to my actual IP seeing that the machine has a static one.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Yes, but do I need to change it? And will it break other stuff? Or should it already have been changed to my actual IP seeing that the machine has a static one.
You don't need to change it and it's been there for over a decade, so whether it'll break stuff or not is up to whoever's been writing programs for Debian and Debian derivatives since 2005.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

anthonypants posted:

You don't need to change it and it's been there for over a decade, so whether it'll break stuff or not is up to whoever's been writing programs for Debian and Debian derivatives since 2005.

It seems that .Net core uses a system call to get the machine's IPAdress by querying the hostname and it returns 127.0.1.1.... Making my server not take any connections. :(

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

t seems that .Net core uses a system call to get the machine's IPAdress by querying the hostname and it returns 127.0.1.1.... Making my server not take any connections. :(
You have your server listening on a hostname?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

anthonypants posted:

You have your server listening on a hostname?

No I get the hostname and then get the IPAddress which belongs to it, on Mono it returns the one external IPAddress which I hoped to get. On .Net Core it returns the 127.0.1.1 because the hostname seems to be mapped to this address.

I can do it another way, but this would make sense for this particular application.

code:
> Dns.GetHostAddresses(Dns.GetHostName());;
val it : IPAddress [] = [|192.168.1.5 {Address = 83994816L;
                                       AddressFamily = InterNetwork;
                                       IsIPv4MappedToIPv6 = false;
                                       IsIPv6LinkLocal = false;
                                       IsIPv6Multicast = false;
                                       IsIPv6SiteLocal = false;
                                       IsIPv6Teredo = false;
                                       ScopeId = ?;}|]

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 26, 2018

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Vulture Culture posted:

Debian and derivatives use 127.0.1.1 all the time because of this bug: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=316099

what the gently caress debian

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

No I get the hostname and then get the IPAddress which belongs to it, on Mono it returns the one external IPAddress which I hoped to get. On .Net Core it returns the 127.0.1.1 because the hostname seems to be mapped to this address.

I can do it another way, but this would make sense for this particular application.

code:
> Dns.GetHostAddresses(Dns.GetHostName());;
val it : IPAddress [] = [|192.168.1.5 {Address = 83994816L;
                                       AddressFamily = InterNetwork;
                                       IsIPv4MappedToIPv6 = false;
                                       IsIPv6LinkLocal = false;
                                       IsIPv6Multicast = false;
                                       IsIPv6SiteLocal = false;
                                       IsIPv6Teredo = false;
                                       ScopeId = ?;}|]
Is it really standard practice in .NET to use a DNS resolver to get a local IP address? :psyduck:

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

anthonypants posted:

Is it really standard practice in .NET to use a DNS resolver to get a local IP address? :psyduck:

It is just the namespace, they could have called it System.Networking or whatever but they didn't. But that is besides the point even if it was. :)

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
For any server application, when you're looking to open a listening socket, you should allow the user to specify the IPs that socket should listen on via either program argument or config file. If they want 0.0.0.0 or 127.0.0.1 should not be an issue. Come with a sensible default for the application (can be just localhost) and leave it at that.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Volguus posted:

For any server application, when you're looking to open a listening socket, you should allow the user to specify the IPs that socket should listen on via either program argument or config file. If they want 0.0.0.0 or 127.0.0.1 should not be an issue. Come with a sensible default for the application (can be just localhost) and leave it at that.

Yes, valid points, but I wanted this to be automatic and ran across this.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Yes, valid points, but I wanted this to be automatic and ran across this.

You never want this to be automatic. The user should and has to decide what IPs the servers are listening on. Automatic should only be 127.0.0.1, if even that.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Can I roll anything like iMessage between Android and Linux for taking phone calls and SMS through my computer?

I switched two years ago from Linux to macOS for web dev work. macOS stuck because, compared to Ubuntu/Mint/etc..., it felt like a way more polished “Linux desktop” experience. I was spoiled by Google Fi’s VOIP capabilities via Hangouts for a few years, but when I switched to an iPhone X a year later for unrelated reasons, iMessage’s more reliable phone calling and SMS support sealed the deal.

Soon I’m going to have to give up my work-provided MBP, and so now I’m considering getting a MacBook Pro and sticking with iOS or, say, a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon, throwing Pop!_OS on it, and going back to Android (which I think I still prefer). The Linux option offers a degree of upgradeability and dock support for two monitors and a nice keyboard and mouse that seems like would be a major pain in the rear end sticking with Apple and their propensity for dongles.

What I haven’t been able to find, or devise on my own, is any way to handle phone calls and texting through my computer if I were to go the Linux route. Is iMessage really the only player in this particular game?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

IAmKale posted:

Can I roll anything like iMessage between Android and Linux for taking phone calls and SMS through my computer?

I switched two years ago from Linux to macOS for web dev work. macOS stuck because, compared to Ubuntu/Mint/etc..., it felt like a way more polished “Linux desktop” experience. I was spoiled by Google Fi’s VOIP capabilities via Hangouts for a few years, but when I switched to an iPhone X a year later for unrelated reasons, iMessage’s more reliable phone calling and SMS support sealed the deal.

Soon I’m going to have to give up my work-provided MBP, and so now I’m considering getting a MacBook Pro and sticking with iOS or, say, a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon, throwing Pop!_OS on it, and going back to Android (which I think I still prefer). The Linux option offers a degree of upgradeability and dock support for two monitors and a nice keyboard and mouse that seems like would be a major pain in the rear end sticking with Apple and their propensity for dongles.

What I haven’t been able to find, or devise on my own, is any way to handle phone calls and texting through my computer if I were to go the Linux route. Is iMessage really the only player in this particular game?
You can do iMessage from macOS or iOS only, and Hangouts on the desktop is going to be tied to Chrome.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

IAmKale posted:

You can't do calls with it, but KDE Connect (which works on other desktop environments, to be clear) works great for notification forwarding to a computer, and being able to respond to texts. I haven't found a way to initiate texts from it yet, and it only works if your devices are on the same network, no bluetooth support yet. So, it's far from perfect, but it's usable.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

IAmKale posted:

For texting specifically, use messages.android.com. You'll need to feed the QR code to your phone to activate it, since it works by sending the message to your phone over the internet and then via SMS from there.

For phone calls...Google Voice, maybe? I've never used it but I understand it can intercall with the normal phone network.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

For phone calls...Google Voice, maybe? I've never used it but I understand it can intercall with the normal phone network.

I've used google voice through hangouts on android, linux and windows and my wife uses it on her iPhone and iPad. It's a great option and works roughly as well as any other VOIP option. (that is it's fine if you have the network for it)

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

G-Prime posted:

You can't do calls with it, but KDE Connect (which works on other desktop environments, to be clear) works great for notification forwarding to a computer, and being able to respond to texts. I haven't found a way to initiate texts from it yet, and it only works if your devices are on the same network, no bluetooth support yet. So, it's far from perfect, but it's usable.

KDE Connect also lets you reply to WhatsApp messages too. So if you're me lazy and your phone's on charge in another room you don't have to get up.

I'm not sure how much it breaks the encryption in WhatsApp, but I imagine that the only weak-spot is on your local LAN, whilst KDE Connect is doing API calls to the phone, so as long as you trust your local LAN you should be good to go.

I haven't a clue about iOS/iMessage though.

apropos man fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 27, 2018

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Is there anything inherently wrong with running two nmb services on one LAN?

I used to have two running: one on my KVM host which has a samba share running, and another instance on a KVM guest which also has a samba share running.

Host and guest are both on the same subnet (192.168.1.0/24) so I turned the guest one off.

Now my share connects instantaneously on my laptop over autofs but if I try and browse the same share on my android phone it takes about 5 to 10 seconds to connect to samba.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/whitequark/status/1056465205218209792

and, before you ask,
https://twitter.com/whitequark/status/1056468558992105472

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

https://twitter.com/RedHat/status/1056621364088586241

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Emoji in dmesg. Truly Linux is now a competitive desktop operating system.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Emoji in dmesg. Truly Linux is now a competitive desktop operating system.
Is this like the systemd version of "avocado toast"?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

How does IBM feel about open source these days?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

oh for gently caress's sake.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

https://twitter.com/RedHat/status/1056621364088586241
Lord in heaven.

Edit: At least it's not Oracle?

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

This is gonna be interesting. Apparently a bunch of Red Hat devs came from IBM because IBM wasn't a great place to work...

waffle iron posted:

Edit: At least it's not Oracle?