Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

And if all else fails there's depenguinator, with which you can use the linux swap device to install FreeBSD on, then boot from that, and wipe linux.

Hah, that's cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

the reason I ask is because none of the hosting providers I have worked for provided it. We didn't ban it, but we didn't provide or support it, hence me mentioning the custom boxes.

I've not worked for everyone, but its been 4-5 companies and you would think one of them would have provided it if it was all that common.

Gonna have to try that depenguinator on my laptop just for fun, see how badly it breaks

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

the reason I ask is because none of the hosting providers I have worked for provided it. We didn't ban it, but we didn't provide or support it, hence me mentioning the custom boxes.

I've not worked for everyone, but its been 4-5 companies and you would think one of them would have provided it if it was all that common.

Gonna have to try that depenguinator on my laptop just for fun, see how badly it breaks
I imagine it can break quite easily, it's full of sharp edges according to Allan.

Also, I decided it would be a good idea to try testing a change to a port, before submitting it:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Jerry Bindle posted:

I'm trying to use my iBook running debian as a boot server to install NetBSD onto an SGI Indy. Doing this requires the debian server to run bootpd and tftpd. I've installed both and updated inetd.conf accordingly. Bootp is running fine, but tftpd wont start. I've looked through my logs and I haven't been able to find the source of the problem.

What could be preventing tftpd from starting?

I can't believe I was ever wasting my time like this. jfc.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is there some way to force Linux to start and reconnect to previously connected Bluetooth devices on boot, but before login.

I'm on an arch based system and both my mouse and keyboard are Bluetooth. On a cold boot it will not start the Bluetooth dongle and connect to them until AFTER login. This obviously presents an issue as they are the HID needed to actually log in.

From sleep it does not have this issue. It happily reconnects prior to login.

Right now I have to plug in a USB keyboard for every cold boot.

Edit:
I should note that I've tried this:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bluetooth#Auto_power-on_after_boot

Uncommenting and setting to true this

/etc/bluetooth/main.conf

[Policy]
AutoEnable=true

But haven't seen any change in behavior.

I'd have to experiment with this to see how my machines behave, but I can say that I daily boot up a machine using an RF dongle for the keyboard and use it to log in. I have a couple Bluetooth keyboards I could check but will have to dig them out and pair them first.

As a point of reference, the RF wireless I have been using is a Microsoft wireless keyboard/trackpad combo on OpenSUSE 15.2 KDE. I'll try to remember to check that same machine with Bluetooth later.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Jerry Bindle posted:

I can't believe I was ever wasting my time like this. jfc.
"It made sense at the time"?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is there some way to force Linux to start and reconnect to previously connected Bluetooth devices on boot, but before login.

I'm on an arch based system and both my mouse and keyboard are Bluetooth. On a cold boot it will not start the Bluetooth dongle and connect to them until AFTER login. This obviously presents an issue as they are the HID needed to actually log in.

From sleep it does not have this issue. It happily reconnects prior to login.

Right now I have to plug in a USB keyboard for every cold boot.

Edit:
I should note that I've tried this:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bluetooth#Auto_power-on_after_boot

Uncommenting and setting to true this

/etc/bluetooth/main.conf

[Policy]
AutoEnable=true

But haven't seen any change in behavior.

Okay, so I've checked on one machine so far, but I see the same behavior of Bluetooth not working until I've logged in. I still have another machine I can check it on, although I suspect I'll see the same behavior.

I did find this page which might be relevant: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bluetooth_keyboard#Automatically_enabling_a_Bluetooth_Keyboard

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011
I have three old disks I want to combine to replace three even older disks I have RAIDed together in a seedbox. Currently I use mdadm to combine them into a RAID0 and then have a btrfs filesystem on top.

Ideally however, I want something closer to a JBOD, without striping, so if data isn't accessed all the disks don't spin up and waste power. If a disk is lost, I'd rather it just took out 1/3rd of the data (it's all replaceable, easily).

Should I just make another mdadm RAID0 with btrfs on top? Use btrfs's in-build RAID instead? Something else?

EDIT: Whoops, we have a dedicated NAS thread, I'll ask there.

EpicCodeMonkey fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jan 24, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Okay, so I've checked on one machine so far, but I see the same behavior of Bluetooth not working until I've logged in. I still have another machine I can check it on, although I suspect I'll see the same behavior.

I did find this page which might be relevant: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bluetooth_keyboard#Automatically_enabling_a_Bluetooth_Keyboard

Yeah I plugged in a USB keyboard and switched over to the Linux command line (ctrl + 3 I think was the command for it) from the login screen and saw that the USB Bluetooth dongle was just straight up not on. A visual inspection of the dongle also confirmed no lights on it. I suppose I should try passing a command to turn it on to see if it responds.

I think I may buy a PCIE Bluetooth card, I found some on Amazon for about 25 bucks, and see if it will properly initialize that when it won't with the usb dongle.

I literally just switched over to Linux from Windows having never used the former, and have no scripting or programming experience, and the people on the forum for my Linux distro are just giving me smarmy links to the Arch wiki and telling me to figure it out, so not a lot of help over there.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Nitrousoxide posted:

I literally just switched over to Linux from Windows having never used the former, and have no scripting or programming experience, and the people on the forum for my Linux distro are just giving me smarmy links to the Arch wiki and telling me to figure it out, so not a lot of help over there.

Sadly, this is how the linux community is. Support isn't actually free, you pay for it in grief from other users.

My strongest linux skills are log reading and Google, and I make a living at it because I can extract meaning from shitposts about systemd

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yeah I plugged in a USB keyboard and switched over to the Linux command line (ctrl + 3 I think was the command for it) from the login screen and saw that the USB Bluetooth dongle was just straight up not on. A visual inspection of the dongle also confirmed no lights on it. I suppose I should try passing a command to turn it on to see if it responds.

I think I may buy a PCIE Bluetooth card, I found some on Amazon for about 25 bucks, and see if it will properly initialize that when it won't with the usb dongle.

First thing you need to do is pick a text editor. Linux is a lot of editing configuration files.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Cheese Thief posted:

First thing you need to do is pick a text editor. Linux is a lot of editing configuration files.

I installed nano for stuff I have to run and edit via terminal and Kate for other stuff since it's like notepad ++. My terminal said nope when I tried to open a config file with the latter, so that prompted the install of nano for those instances.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Oh yeah, the standard for switching terminals is ctrl-f1-7, ctrl-alt to break out of xwindows which is on f7. Ive run into one distro that put xwindows on f1 instead, which was confusing when I tried to break out. This behavior is defined in a text file somewhere in /etc(can't remember the filename, inittty or something similar)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

the people on the forum for my Linux distro are just giving me smarmy links to the Arch wiki and telling me to figure it out, so not a lot of help over there.
Welcome to the opensource experience.

RFC2324 posted:

Oh yeah, the standard for switching terminals is ctrl-f1-7, ctrl-alt to break out of xwindows which is on f7. Ive run into one distro that put xwindows on f1 instead, which was confusing when I tried to break out. This behavior is defined in a text file somewhere in /etc(can't remember the filename, inittty or something similar)
X or Wayland belong on ttyv8. :colbert:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Nitrousoxide posted:

I literally just switched over to Linux from Windows having never used the former, and have no scripting or programming experience

An Arch-based system is not ideal for this type of user. Granted a lot of the minefield is covered by Manjaro, but they're all still known for living on the bleeding edge of pushing out newly-released codebases that often are hacky for people who like to hack. It's sort of like running a developer channel copy of Windows without having any background or experience in loving around with the registry. I'm not sure how you got there, but if you're like me on my first experience and you're like "What drive is /usr? Where are the letters?!?" you probably should not be using an Arch-based distro.

That you're getting lovely replies on Arch forums isn't a surprise, it's sort of part of the distro's reputation at this point that they are not interested in "new to linux" questions. (They still put out a lot of good support issues for bugs and things that are above the level of new user familiarity.)

If for some reason you need to run a nightly kernel or whatever, I bet I can satisfy your need with Fedora and you'll still have a lot less weirdness. Otherwise, explain what you expect/want from your computer (if you want a graphical interface, what kind of interface do you want? What kind of programs do you run? What hardware do you have? What do you plan to do?) and I can try to help.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 24, 2021

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

X or Wayland belong on ttyv8. :colbert:

I think I'm going to start putting mine on 3, with 2 vts to either side so it goes up to f5

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

An Arch-based system is not ideal for this type of user. Granted a lot of the minefield is covered by Manjaro, but they're all still known for living on the bleeding edge of pushing out newly-released codebases that often are hacky for people who like to hack. It's sort of like running a developer channel copy of Windows without having any background or experience in loving around with the registry. I'm not sure how you got there, but if you're like me on my first experience and you're like "What drive is /usr? Where are the letters?!?" you probably should not be using an Arch-based distro.

That you're getting lovely replies on Arch forums isn't a surprise, it's sort of part of the distro's reputation at this point that they are not interested in "new to linux" questions. (They still put out a lot of good support issues for bugs and things that are above the level of new user familiarity.)

If for some reason you need to run a nightly kernel or whatever, I bet I can satisfy your need with Fedora and you'll still have a lot less weirdness. Otherwise, explain what you expect/want from your computer (if you want a graphical interface, what kind of interface do you want? What kind of programs do you run? What hardware do you have? What do you plan to do?) and I can try to help.

I installed https://garudalinux.org/ because it had the BTRFS file system and all the apps needed to run windows games pre-installed already. I figured with BTRFS if I hosed something up with the terminal or something I could just roll it back right away so it was supposed to be a safety measure for me, a new babe pulling out the radiator of the engine or something without realizing it.

I actually have everything I need running on there, except for Byond for Spacestation 13. All my work stuff works, the games that don't use anti-piracy stuff *cough cough*Ubisoft*cough cough* seem.to more or less just run through Lutris or a surprising number have native linux builds.

Microsoft even has a linux build of Teams that is visible on the built in repos which I needed for work.

Really the only things that are game breaking now are:
1: Get the bluetooth thing fixed, though I'm using a workaround for now of a USB keyboard so I can log in
2: Get Spacestation 13 working, since that's what I play like 90% of the time when I play games. Maybe I'll have to try a virtual machine of windows there.
3: De-gamerfy the theme because the "Dr460nized" is hideous.

I assume if I was to switch to a Debian based system people would suggest Pop OS? That's what most of the stuff I've read online suggests.

I'm not like super deep or anything in this system, so I'm not really averse to just chucking this install in the trash if I need to.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Nitrousoxide posted:

I installed https://garudalinux.org/ because it had the BTRFS file system and all the apps needed to run windows games pre-installed already. I figured with BTRFS if I hosed something up with the terminal or something I could just roll it back right away so it was supposed to be a safety measure for me, a new babe pulling out the radiator of the engine or something without realizing it.

I actually have everything I need running on there, except for Byond for Spacestation 13. All my work stuff works, the games that don't use anti-piracy stuff *cough cough*Ubisoft*cough cough* seem.to more or less just run through Lutris or a surprising number have native linux builds.

Microsoft even has a linux build of Teams that is visible on the built in repos which I needed for work.

1: Get the bluetooth thing fixed, though I'm using a workaround for now of a USB keyboard so I can log in
2: Get Spacestation 13 working, since that's what I play like 90% of the time when I play games. Maybe I'll have to try a virtual machine of windows there.

I assume if I was to switch to a Debian based system people would suggest Pop OS? That's what most of the stuff I've read online suggests.

I'm not like super deep or anything in this system, so I'm not really averse to just chucking this install in the trash if I need to.

Use Fedora, its gonna have most of your stuff, but isn't arch based so doesn't have quite as toxic a userbase.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Nitrousoxide posted:

So I've got a couple thoughts:

1) Most Linux users never get it right the first time they install and figure out what's going on. Understand there's no fault in deleting everything and starting over, no reason to accept mediocrity in most circumstances, etc. Few people pick the distro they'll swear by the very first time, at least since Ubuntu's large installbase frittered out into other projects about a decade ago. Ten years ago, I was an Ubuntu fan. Then I spent a few years with Debian. Then I stopped using Linux for a while and now I'm starting a third year of Fedora. People move around as their needs change.

2) Linux supports a huge number of partition types. Most major distros default to ext4. Fedora recently defaulted to BTRFS for it's system (though if you play with the partition manager you can install into ext4 if you wanted) and BTRFS has a few nice features namely snapshots for people who care about that sort of thing, and easier virtual volume configuration than Logical Volume Manager (LVM). There's another partition type called XFS that is default in some server and serious business distros like Red Hat Enterprise, because of limitations in the design of ext. That said, every format except for ext4 has it's advocates and it's "never again" horror stories where someone lost a whole bunch of data. ext4 by contrast doesn't have enthusiasts but doesn't have the horror stories. Generally speaking, if you use ext4 for all your partitions in your first desktop you'll never go wrong. Just look into alternatives before you run a huge datacenter on it.

3) You sound like a gamer. Keep least have one ext4 partition and install your games onto it because some games misbehave on other partition types. Don't know why, it just is.

4) You can worry less about backup by putting /home on a different partition (some distros do this by default). If you haven't noticed, Linux doesn't have drive letters but instead has one universal folder structure that can be stored across a variety of devices, so unlike Windows where a device ID is the very first part of a path (D:/whatever/) you can open a folder on one hard drive and it's a gateway to a location on a different hard drive so long as you set mount points for it. Some popular distros don't do this by default sadly (including the Ubuntu family), but if you can store /home on a separate partition from the main system it can be safe to wipe/reinstall your OS without losing your personal documents, your preferences, your games, etc. The system partition will store the system, and programs you download from the package manager, but the settings and customization you make in those programs are saved in your user's home directory. So if you do have to reinstall and can preserve the /home partition, you could for example redownload your email app on a new install and open it up to find your server settings and reader layout is already there. This doesn't often work across distros, sadly, but you can use it for reinstalling the same distro and minimizing time lost reconfiguring.
(EDIT: You would also want to save a copy of /etc/fstab somewhere in your home folder, because that file dictates where in the folder structure to put a mount point to another location. You can refer to your backup if you need to reinstall)

5) I don't know what desktop interface you're using, or what kind of desktop you'd like. But Linux has stuff that looks like Windows, stuff that looks like Mac, stuff that looks like neither, stuff that replicates the look of Linux from ten years ago, and even weirdo non-desktop things where programs run fullscreen and then autoresize to arrange themselves.

I realize I claimed up top to be a Fedora stan, but if you did switch I would make the case for Fedora because they push newer kernels than the Ubuntu family and make some good gamer-targeted inclusions like sticking the gamemode package in the default install and patching the distro's default WINE with the 'wine-staging' patches that are recommended for Windows-compatible gaming whereas I think on Ubuntu and Debian you still have to add the WineHQ repo and use those.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 24, 2021

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I installed regular Arch it is just a lot of reading the wiki and googling but it's good for personal use

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cheese Thief posted:

I installed regular Arch it is just a lot of reading the wiki and googling but it's good for personal use

arch is fine if you don't mind spending all day googling to install it, and then spend a few hours every month googling to fix it. I enjoyed that kind of thing back in the day, and its why I am good at googling these issues, but nowadays I just want something that holds my hand, so I use OpenSUSE. Between YaST2 and whatever that online database of every package ever is called the only thing I want for is a laptop I didn't already nuke

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

RFC2324 posted:

arch is fine if you don't mind spending all day googling to install it, and then spend a few hours every month googling to fix it. I enjoyed that kind of thing back in the day, and its why I am good at googling these issues, but nowadays I just want something that holds my hand, so I use OpenSUSE. Between YaST2 and whatever that online database of every package ever is called the only thing I want for is a laptop I didn't already nuke

The hardest parts of the install for me was the NVIDIA drivers and installing without ethernet but l haven't had any real issues. Ubuntu gave me more poo poo than Arch, on at least 3 occassions the system failed to upgrade and I lost everything.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Once you've installed Arch once or twice you can do it from memory and have a much better understanding of the underlying system. This is why there's a wiki page with brief point form instructions (for experienced people) that link to super detailed pages for beginners. And all the information you need is on the Arch wiki, to the extent that if you are googling stuff, the links will just be to the Arch wiki. It's a valuable experience.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

xtal posted:

Once you've installed Arch once or twice you can do it from memory and have a much better understanding of the underlying system. This is why there's a wiki page with brief point form instructions (for experienced people) that link to super detailed pages for beginners. And all the information you need is on the Arch wiki, to the extent that if you are googling stuff, the links will just be to the Arch wiki. It's a valuable experience.

only for people who want to poke at the system. not everyone does, and for them the recommendation to start with arch teaches REALLY bad habits. Specifically, it teaches them to go to a wiki and blindly copy/paste a command without really understanding what it is doing, which is a really bad idea on the level of wget 'http://script.com/randomfile.sh' | bash

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry I jumped into the convo late, I agree with you with more context.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I found a couple pages regarding running SS13 on Linux, including a Reddit post I think you might have posted yourself, but am including just in case:

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/l2p8c3/byond_and_linux_arch_based_specifically/
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17153

I also checked Steam, and it looks like Space Station 14 is free and has a Linux version, if that is an option. I'm not familiar with the original game, much less ones based on it.

As far as alternate distro, my personal bias is for OpenSUSE. After years of distro-hopping I've been running OpenSUSE since 2012 or so, and it makes life easier.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

RFC2324 posted:

only for people who want to poke at the system. not everyone does, and for them the recommendation to start with arch teaches REALLY bad habits. Specifically, it teaches them to go to a wiki and blindly copy/paste a command without really understanding what it is doing, which is a really bad idea on the level of wget 'http://script.com/randomfile.sh' | bash

Yea Arch is i think of as a Hobbyist distro, but it's just convenient having pacman/aur to easily get in software, compared to Debian which I used in ernest for over a year customized to hell with i3, but it was so much trouble installing software. There is NO reason Debian repo should be on Emacs 26.1.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Spending a few hours each month because it breaks is hyperbole. Arch has been my most used daily driver for years and I've maybe had to fix two things that I can remember in the past two years. What does break is almost immediately posted to their forum with the fix listed if it's not in the frontpage blog already.

I run a minimal, fairly stock setup, FWIW. It's bleeding edge, but unless you are running some wild configuration it's solid as can be expected.

You still should develop a good habit of checking the homepage before you blindly Syu.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

tjones posted:

Spending a few hours each month because it breaks is hyperbole. Arch has been my most used daily driver for years and I've maybe had to fix two things that I can remember in the past two years. What does break is almost immediately posted to their forum with the fix listed if it's not in the frontpage blog already.

I run a minimal, fairly stock setup, FWIW. It's bleeding edge, but unless you are running some wild configuration it's solid as can be expected.

You still should develop a good habit of checking the homepage before you blindly Syu.

I've been running OpenSUSE Tumbleweed since April, and while not bleeding edge it is probably cutting edge, or not-quite-in-need-of-sharpening edge, and it's only had a couple minor hiccups. That's with running the proprietary Nvidia drivers.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cheese Thief posted:

Yea Arch is i think of as a Hobbyist distro, but it's just convenient having pacman/aur to easily get in software, compared to Debian which I used in ernest for over a year customized to hell with i3, but it was so much trouble installing software. There is NO reason Debian repo should be on Emacs 26.1.

https://software.opensuse.org/

this site is amazing, and if you find a package you just scroll down til you find the link to install it for your distro.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

only for people who want to poke at the system.
Nothing I've seen in the last 20 years running FreeBSD, nor the last quarter century of being a computer toucher, and not even in the last years when "Linux on the desktop" having been pushed hard by people, convinces me that anything is for people who don't want to poke at systems.
Not FreeBSD. Not Linux. Not Windows. Not macOS.

The only notable difference between computer touchers and non-computer touchers is that computer touchers don't notice all the small issues that non-computer touchers deal with, because we're busy dealing with relatively issues that would also stump non-computer touchers.

It's also just degrees of poo poo, and you get to pick your poison.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Nothing I've seen in the last 20 years running FreeBSD, nor the last quarter century of being a computer toucher, and not even in the last years when "Linux on the desktop" having been pushed hard by people, convinces me that anything is for people who don't want to poke at systems.
Not FreeBSD. Not Linux. Not Windows. Not macOS.

The only notable difference between computer touchers and non-computer touchers is that computer touchers don't notice all the small issues that non-computer touchers deal with, because we're busy dealing with relatively issues that would also stump non-computer touchers.

It's also just degrees of poo poo, and you get to pick your poison.

and to be fair to arch, part of the reason it tends to break is because the people who are inclined to run it are the kind who like to turn dials just because they are there. You fiddle with the knobs in any OS and its gonna start having issues. Arch just attracts people who are gonna do it because it exposes so many of them

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

tjones posted:

me too, I only had a problem once and it was with Antergos+NVIDIA drivers, and once you set it up once backup all your dot files then copy and paste into whatever new system you need.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

and to be fair to arch, part of the reason it tends to break is because the people who are inclined to run it are the kind who like to turn dials just because they are there. You fiddle with the knobs in any OS and its gonna start having issues. Arch just attracts people who are gonna do it because it exposes so many of them
Ah, so it's the Gentoo of the modern age?

..says the FreeBSD user who's building his own version of the OS and third-party packages for each of his machine, while posting this. :v:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I gotta say, I'm appreciative of the BTRFS filesystem in my Arch-Based system right now. I was trying to install AMD video drivers and for some reason it failed to boot after that. It was as simple as choosing another snapshot from GRUB literally right before I tried to install it and everything was back to exactly as it was before.

I set it to even exclude /home from the snapshots so it doesn't even undo any downloads or files. Just restores the system to before I hosed it up.

Now ideally installing the video drivers WOULDN'T cause that failure to boot, but hey, whatever.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 24, 2021

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Last time I was reinstalling my system BTRFS had a bug where you shouldn't have virtual machine images (and swapfiles) on btrfs. Is that safe now?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe this helps? https://askubuntu.com/a/1206161

You should still probably use a swap partition rather than file

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

To alleviate boredom, I typed this and you can read it or not.
In case it isn't obvious, using swap files instead of swap partitions/disks, is less than ideal because many of the things that make swap a little faster (such as read/write offsets, IO_ADVISE, data holes, sparse writes, and many other tricks that're used when dealing with disks, will need to make an extra trip through the filesystem code, rather than going directly on-disk.
In addition, there's a whole bunch of features which, like with iSCSI file extends vs iSCSI device extends, don't propagate properly through the filesystem, because they only tend work at the device layer and aren't meant to be used on a filesystem.

Similar reasons exist for avoiding block devices for swap, filesystems, and.. anything else, really. Which is why FreeBSD got rid of block devices.

So, can you? Sure. Should you? Not if you can avoid it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

RFC2324 posted:

https://software.opensuse.org/

this site is amazing, and if you find a package you just scroll down til you find the link to install it for your distro.

Big fan of https://pkgs.org for this. Especially since for Fedora/Red Hat users it integrates RPMFusion etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

If anyone cares, I finally got SS13 working by following this guide.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SS13/comments/jqkovw/a_stepbystep_guide_on_running_space_station_13_on/

Not the best performance, but waaaaaay better than doing it in a virtual machine.