Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
Imagine the noise the Linux-newbies would make when the apps installed to their $HOMEs fail to run at all after an upgrade because they're trying to reach incompatible versions of libraries that are installed globally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

tehk posted:

I have never used vista but I like dialogs to unlock and perform operations that require administrator level permissions.

This "because you use it often it looses its seriousness" point of view is flawed. Most users should never need to use the command line or even know what sudo is, so they are greeted with a graphical explanation and a way to unlock and perform the operation. Most users do not install applications every day and most users should do not need to change things that require root level permissions often - if ever. Those users who use the command line and think sudo is just a hassle, or normal every day thing, misunderstand why it exist and when to use it. So the problem is not with sudo, it is with the user.

You can make an argument for peruser applications but the former point of view is not one of them.

I've made plenty of other arguments for them, which are never being addressed. The sudo thing is lovely, but it's continually used as an argument.

Your Japanese Dad posted:

Not to mention that per-user installations are a pain for a desktop system. It's much easier to just simply globally install an application and let it put the configuration file in the users home directory.

On top of that, dealing with shared libraries is going to make it even more difficult.

So, your answer is "You shouldn't want to"?

That's a pretty lovely response. There is absolutely, positively no reason why installing Finch should require root privileges. None. There's no reason I should have to use something beside the advertised function to do so.

If anyone has an actual answer for why this isn't possible, please come forward. But "It might be hard" or "You shouldn't want to" are not valid responses, because there are plenty of other things that are difficult to program that were added because they have a purpose.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

tehk posted:

I have never used vista but I like dialogs to unlock and perform operations that require administrator level permissions.

This "because you use it often it looses its seriousness" point of view is flawed. Most users should never need to use the command line or even know what sudo is, so they are greeted with a graphical explanation and a way to unlock and perform the operation. Most users do not install applications every day and most users should do not need to change things that require root level permissions often - if ever. Those users who use the command line and think sudo is just a hassle, or normal every day thing, misunderstand why it exist and when to use it. So the problem is not with sudo, it is with the user.

You can make an argument for peruser applications but the former point of view is not one of them.

I've made plenty of other arguments for them, which are never being addressed. The sudo thing is lovely, but it's continually used as an argument.

Your Japanese Dad posted:

Not to mention that per-user installations are a pain for a desktop system. It's much easier to just simply globally install an application and let it put the configuration file in the users home directory.

On top of that, dealing with shared libraries is going to make it even more difficult.

So, your answer is "You shouldn't want to"?

That's a pretty lovely response. There is absolutely, positively no reason why installing Finch should require root privileges. None. There's no reason I should have to use something beside the advertised function to do so.

If anyone has an actual answer for why this isn't possible, please come forward. But "It might be hard" or "You shouldn't want to" are not valid responses, because there are plenty of other things that are difficult to program that were added because they have a purpose.

jegHegy posted:

Imagine the noise the Linux-newbies would make when the apps installed to their $HOMEs fail to run at all after an upgrade because they're trying to reach incompatible versions of libraries that are installed globally.

So every time a user might make a mistake, the feature that lets them make the mistake is removed?

I'm not advocating making it the default. I'm not advocating that everyone should install to $HOME. I'm advocating that it should be an option.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
Go ahead and code it into dpkg apt. Obviously if it's not in it by now, there wasn't enough demand for it, or there are more important things on the road map than that feature.

crab avatar fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 19, 2008

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Casao posted:

The whole point is NOT global installations. How are most apps global installations under linux? Why on a "true" multiuser system is it so hard to get per-user applications. I want to install a few apps that should not in any way require admin access, yet I can't just "apt-get install" it... I have no idea why.

rpm and dpkg support it, frontends such as apt-get/yum/up2date don't because of a lack of interest. Most people who have any interest in using a different flavor of software spend 20 minutes learning how to build it themselves.

Of course, if you did fine some point-and-click facility to install within your homedir, you'd be upset that kde didn't know where your private copy of firefox was, or that you didn't want to have 10 copies of openssl libs on your system, or that linux used too much disk space.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Casao posted:

why can't I install finch to my home directory without root credentials?
Installing Finch to your home directory doesn't require root. Just grab the source and compile it, or look for a binary tarball. Installing the Debian package DOES require root because that is how the Package Manager is written to work. If you don't like the way it works and you don't want to install it by hand, either submit a request for install-to-home-directory functionality to the maintainers of the Debian Project (and being volunteers, they will implement it in their own sweet time, if ever), write and submit a patch yourself, or just realize that maybe the Unix way of doing things just isn't for you.

Solaris RBAC actually does have a "software installation" user attribute to allow users to globally install packages without root level access. Are there any attempts to implement RBAC in Linux?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 19, 2008

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

covener posted:

rpm and dpkg support it, frontends such as apt-get/yum/up2date don't because of a lack of interest. Most people who have any interest in using a different flavor of software spend 20 minutes learning how to build it themselves.

It's not just a lack of interest. Creating a commonly-usable, easy way to install programs as your normal user means that programs will be installed as your normal user. Because the program files wind up owned by the normal user account, random malware and security vulnerabilities would be able to exploit that and overwrite them, and misconfigured programs could trample over eachother; the situation winds up almost exactly the same as if the user were running as root all the time. The system should be setup such that normal operation cannot break it - in order to achieve this goal, software installation is elevated to a privileged operation and requires a password.

The "correct" solution, of course, is something like an SELinux policy which allows certain programs (such as the package manager) to manipulate the whole filesystem, while normal day-to-day-use programs are restricted to only those files that they need to access. With a complete enough policy, the special rights assigned to UID 0 go away, because all sysadmin tasks are handled through roles. In practice, such a policy rapidly becomes unmaintainable, and the root user is a compromise that most people can easily live with.

There is also the minor technical problem that many programs have various paths compiled-in, and the resulting packages cannot be installed to anywhere but / and still maintain full functionality, but presumably you could either fix the programs, or compile in recognizable placeholders and perform install-time binary patching to fix everything up.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

ShoulderDaemon posted:

It's not just a lack of interest. Creating a commonly-usable, easy way to install programs as your normal user means that programs will be installed as your normal user. Because the program files wind up owned by the normal user account, random malware and security vulnerabilities would be able to exploit that and overwrite them, and misconfigured programs could trample over eachother; the situation winds up almost exactly the same as if the user were running as root all the time. The system should be setup such that normal operation cannot break it - in order to achieve this goal, software installation is elevated to a privileged operation and requires a password.

That's an excellent point.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Can anyone recommend an application that runs in cli mode without the need for X11 and can capture individual frames from a V4L source, in this case a Hauppauge HVR-950 USB tuner.

I've been tasked with making a small appliance for a lab experiment that basically takes frames from a video feed of an experiment and makes them available via HTTP. I'd rather keep this headless and eliminate the need for X.

Sorry if it's a dumb question. It's been about ten years since I last did anything with Linux in this capacity, and googling hasn't revealed much of interest.

Edit: Bonus points if someone can recommend a solution which would stream video as well, but that is going way beyond the scope of my original project. I've looked up VLS and VLC, but I think both require X :smith:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 19, 2008

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
You might want to look at security software for webcams and such. I tried setting something up like that but my crappy hardware panicked and prevented me from going any further so I have nothing else to add to that.

http://www.linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/Webcams

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks! A quick check through that site pointed me at fswebcam which seems to do exactly what I want. I'll try it out on Monday when I get back to the lab.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
I am trying to find how much space my flac files are taking up, but du returns "too many arguments" :argh: ( du -sch `find . -name *.flac` )

are there alternatives?

alo
May 1, 2005

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

I am trying to find how much space my flac files are taking up, but du returns "too many arguments" :argh: ( du -sch `find . -name *.flac` )

are there alternatives?

Try this:

code:
find . -name '*\.flac' -print0 | xargs -0 du -k | awk '{S+=$1} END {printf "%.2f MB\n",S/1024}'
or alternatively (if you're not using Linux),

code:
find . -name '*\.flac' -exec du -k {} \; | awk '{S+=$1} END {printf "%.2f MB\n",S/1024}'

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

amerrykan posted:

Ubuntu 8.04 desktop. I'm installing rTorrent and rtGui. Everything is installed, and I've sufficiently fussed about with the .rc file to get rTorrent beyond complaining about my custom paths and start complaining that XMLRPC isn't installed. Except that it is. I followed these directions.

What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: I just compiled rTorrent/libtorrent from SVN and still have the problem.
EDIT2: If I nuke .rtorrent.rc, rtorrent fires right up, but that doesn't help rtgui talk to it. I'm missing something obvious and I don't know what.
Any thoughts on this? I'd really like to get this working, but don't know how to proceed.

SynVisions
Jun 29, 2003

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

are there alternatives?

If you're running X I believe you can get the information (and much more) from this: http://kdirstat.sourceforge.net/

It's a really great way to visualize disk usage.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Hey Casao, do you find an Add/Remove applications button that can actually add software infuriating and perplexing too?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
How do I unblock a port on a Fedora Core 7 box?

foghorn
Oct 9, 2006

Haters gunna hate.
Anyone know where I can get the flying toasters screensaver for Fedora? I remember it shipping with Ubuntu, and I miss it now that I've turned to the light side...

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Is there a way to make the Windows key function similarly to how it does in Windows? That is, no action is taken on key-down, but as soon as you depress another key, it becomes a Win+<key> combo. Alternatively, if you hit no other key, it registers as a Windows key keypress upon key-up. I've managed to get it to act as a modifier and as a regular key, but not as the sort of hybrid behavior I would like.

adante
Sep 18, 2003
hello

I just installed ubuntu on my new t61p. It is great and 98% of it 'just works'. The other 2% is being a real pain.jpg.

Firstly: The Fn+X buttons on my laptop do great things, like let me enable/disable wireless, change brightness, suspend, bring up battery information etc. What the heck controls this? I thought it might be acpi but these events still happen when I disable the acpi daemon. Are they configurable or disable-able at all?

Secondly: I just spent 3+ hours fiddling with twinview. How can I make it so that I can enable/disable screens without having to start X? I figured this would be doable using the metamode option, so I tried defining several metamodes:

Option "MetaModes" "1920x1200,1920x1200; 1920x1200,NULL"
Option "MetaModes" "DFP-0: 1920x1200, CRT-0: 1920x1200; DFP-0: 1920x1200, CRT: NULL"
Option "MetaModes" "1920x1200,1920x1200; 1920x1200,NULL"
Option "MetaModes" "1920x1200,1920x1200; 1920x1200; 1680x1450"

edit: extra info
however, the xlog (below) says "No metamodes defined" (line 615). So when I run xrandr all I get is a single mode:

$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 3840 x 1200, current 3840 x 1200, maximum 3840 x 1200
default connected 3840x1200+0+0 0mm x 0mm
3840x1200 50.0*

anybody know what's going on? How do I define metamodes? :psyduck:

conf here and log here

edit: server being funny paste is here

adante fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 21, 2008

cocaine
Apr 12, 2008

fourwood posted:

Is there a way to make the Windows key function similarly to how it does in Windows? That is, no action is taken on key-down, but as soon as you depress another key, it becomes a Win+<key> combo. Alternatively, if you hit no other key, it registers as a Windows key keypress upon key-up. I've managed to get it to act as a modifier and as a regular key, but not as the sort of hybrid behavior I would like.

Depends on the program you're using for keyboard shortcuts. Some differentiate between the two, some don't.

Most consider the window a modifier only (that means no doing stuff by itself).

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

cocaine posted:

Depends on the program you're using for keyboard shortcuts. Some differentiate between the two, some don't.

Most consider the window a modifier only (that means no doing stuff by itself).

Whoops, forgot to mention that part. I'm using the stock GNOME keyboard shortcuts in Ubuntu. I'm using Hardy at the moment, but it's been the same for the last few releases of Ubuntu/GNOME. By default it treats it purely as a modifier. In the past I've been able to change it to act as a standard key, although I forget how... xmodmap maybe? Something like that. I'm pretty sure this was the case back when I was using KDE and its bindings configuration, too.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

What separator should I be using so Quod Libet doesn't clutter up the People list? I have a few albums tagged where different permutations of band members are credited for writing the song, making a single album add 10 entries to the People list. Commas, semicolons and slashes don't seem to work.

Boody
Aug 15, 2001
Two questions, I've been running linux since 1993 and tried most popular distros over the years but never played with LVM or Virtualisation until now. I recently got my hands on a Dell poweredge SC440 server which I'd like to use to consolidate all the stuff I run here and keep a split between personal/development/toying around and general/backup/management stuff. Currently not sure whether to use LVM or not or whether to go with Xen or VMWare.

Hardware I think I have covered, can get a second sc440 if needed and have 8gigs of ram and a old SCSI enclosure with 6 removable sata drive bays (3 x 2 drive USB/e-sata bridgeboards). So with 8 gig and 10 possible sata connections, should have more than sufficient memory/storage.

Currently, I have CentOS 5.1 installed, mainly because it's been a while since I've run Red Hat and positive press. By default it setup a LVM for the drive it's installed on and after reading up on LVM it seems useful but not sure how it deals with removable drives/recovery. I don't mind being careful with volume groups and striping to ensure that I can remove drives if needed but in a disaster scenario will using LVM restrict what tools I can use to recover data?

Xen comes as an install option with CentOS and seems easy enough to use but does it have any advantage over VMware server except it's licence? From my brief play, it seems to be restricted to what can be a guest OS (although still good range), installation of guest OS can be a pain, little virtual appliance support and seems to have performance issues if running from a file. Are there advantages to Xen that I've overlooked?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Does anyone else have similar issues to this?

I've finally bothered to update Ubuntu again today, worth 250MBs of updates. With the update came Firefox 3 final. What I'm having is that Firefox (most used application), seems to lose focus of the address and search field at random. That's pretty annoying. What could it be?

Also gently caress Ubuntu screwing with the xorg.conf on every goddamn update.

--edit: Well, this was on my laptop and turns out that the loving updater hosed some more with my xorg.conf and changed the input driver for the touch pad from synaptics to mouse. Maybe that was the problem.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 22, 2008

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.
What would be a torrent client that would allow me to have /home/share/ as the default folder and allowing me to select subfolders to place the files in while still seeding (video, audio etc).

I've been running TorrentFlux but since it has users and can't handle placing the torrents anywhere except the user folder it doesn't work for me so well. Azureus can do this but the web interface isn't the greatest and its a bit heavy on my system which also runs an audio streaming service.

Running Ubuntu on a P3 866 with 386mb.

Edit: Or if there is a way to get Torrentflux to throw the files into /home/share/ by creating a user named "share" AND being able to sort the files into different folders that would be just fine. Haven't found anything that would this at the moment.

Bensa fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 23, 2008

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
Hey everyone:

I created a quick bash script that has a long command that I execute a lot. I've added the command name to my bashrc but what other steps do I need to allow it to be ran from all across the file system?

SynVisions
Jun 29, 2003

Twlight posted:

Hey everyone:

I created a quick bash script that has a long command that I execute a lot. I've added the command name to my bashrc but what other steps do I need to allow it to be ran from all across the file system?

I assume you mean ran across all users? Take it out of your bashrc and drop the script somewhere in your $PATH. i.e. copy/symlink the script to /usr/bin.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

SynVisions posted:

I assume you mean ran across all users? Take it out of your bashrc and drop the script somewhere in your $PATH. i.e. copy/symlink the script to /usr/bin.

Thanks! You're right I meant to say users :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Can anyone recommend a stripped down Linux distribution which includes V4L drivers in its basic kernel? I'm looking for the smallest footprint I can get, and I don't want gcc or anything installed.

End result is that I want to be able to fit this stripped down distribution on a USB stick. I know there are several small USB-stick enabled distributions already, but they're all dolled up with fancy GUIs and apps that I don't need.

I'm ready to do the work in cleaning up a more featured distribution to fit, but I'm just looking for recommendations first. Again, the only requirement is that V4L modules are present in the base kernel without any compilation necessary.

Edit: I have to say, after using MacOS for the past half dozen plus years, coming back to Linux doesn't feel as awkward as I thought it would :)

albedoa
May 3, 2004

Stupid question! According to the Xubuntu website:

quote:

Xubuntu uses the Xfce desktop environment, meaning that it will run fast while still delivering a user-friendly interface. Older computers feel lively again, while newer ones will run faster than ever before!

Given this, why would someone choose Ubuntu over Xubuntu? What are you sacrificing for the added speed?

Is it just that Xfce is really ugly?

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
No, it's just got less features / applications. KDE and Gnome are really more like mini operating systems of their own, in that they provide a large base of libraries + docks + window styles + etc, so lots of applications and utilities and so forth are built on top of them.

In other words, Xfce != KDE or Gnome; it is not at the same level, so asking "if X is faster why does anyone use Y?" doesn't make sense.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.
Actually I think it looks pretty nice. It's less well-documented, so if you find out you install it and your volume button or power management or something don't work, it's harder to find help.

You don't get Nautilus (you can still run it, but it automatically starts big chunks of Gnome along with it which defeats the purpose of a lightweight desktop). The Xfce file manager, Thunar, doesn't have as many features - I don't know the details, but I'd guess it's harder to browse Windows network shares and things like that.

I actually think Xfce looks really nice, and I like the fact there's not as much crap I'll never used stuffed into it.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Xfce is great. It has a lot nice touches that I miss when I don't get to use it.

I use Rox Filer (http://roscidus.com/desktop/ROX-Filer) instead of Thunar. It is much more powerful than it looks.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES
Anyone have any suggestions for really lovely hardware?

Specs:

Pentium III - Dual processors
512 MB RAM
18 GB HDD
CD-ROM ONLY (DVD is NOT supported, neither is USB booting)
lovely ATI Mach

What happened was I had the box setup running RH9 using YUM to update. Everything was fine until my boss demanded a file server be setup ASAP and use the current hardware. I wasn't around that day so he gave the job to another worker who has no experience with linux and simply ran commands (he found on the internet) while logged into root. I came back and the machine wouldn't boot properly and was basically totally hosed. We have backups so we are okay.

Only things needed are: VNC, SSH and KDE. It needs a GUI simply because a certain software package we use (theoretical chemistry calculations) only works in linux (actual req. say RH 6.2 or greater, Mandrake 7.0 or greater, SuSE 6.3 or greater, Generic Linux [kernel 2.2, XFree86 3.3, glibc 2.1]). Though the software is dated it has one feature that out does all the new web based setup we have so we would like to keep it around.

I'd rather not run RH9 anymore as it is dated fairly badly so any suggestions towards something minimal would be appreciated.

--
Edit: KDE is preferred over GNOME because of how the program visualizes and allows for multiple VNC sessions by different users using the same program. It is restricted to local so vnc security isn't a huge issue.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Last I tried Arch Linux it was pretty minimal and had a really fast package manager. Pretty slick distro. Also, an Ubuntu server installation would be super minimal but I believe adding the desktop to that would bring back all the bloat you're trying to avoid anyways.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES
If we didn't need a GUI it would be nice but the part that worries me is I have no clue how this is going to behave on other distros other than RH9. The machine is drat well aged and replacement just won't happen due to frugal bosses.

Harokey
Jun 12, 2003

Memory is RAM! Oh dear!

NerdPolice posted:

If we didn't need a GUI it would be nice but the part that worries me is I have no clue how this is going to behave on other distros other than RH9. The machine is drat well aged and replacement just won't happen due to frugal bosses.

If you want a new os, your best bets would probably be CentOS and Fedora, as they'd probably be the closest to RH9 from new OS's. I'd be concerned though, because IIRC, RH9 is a 2.4 kernel system, and any of these newer systems are 2.6, You could try setting them up in VM's first and then seeing if this program of yours will run on them.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES
Registration key fuckery makes that pretty impossible. It is generally a pain in the rear end anyway. Tried Fedora Core 5 (old discs I had lying around) but there seemed to be an issue with the video drivers (ATI bullshit) giving blank screen upon starting x. Tried a bunch of possible fixes and no luck.

Worst part of it is the drat CD drive. Each takes like 5-6 CD's where if it was a DVD you would only have a single disc.

Tried Arch and it didn't seem to want to setup very nicely (random freezing during setup (not just hanging, full on freezing that left for hours would do nothing) and generally not being cooperative. Might just bite the bullet and try Fedora 9 and see if it will play nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud
Do you need local GUI, or just GUI via VNC? Remember that a headless server can run remote VNC sessions... so if possible, save your memory by not running X on the server's display.

Also be sure your app works on a more recent distribution... if it's old enough to list kernel 2.2 and glibc 2.1 as its requirements, a 2.6 kernel and glibc 2.5 might piss it off.

Assuming it's happy with modern distros, I'd probably try Debian. A basic install can be done from one CD, and then you can add KDE and stuff through apt. Fedora 9 is going to be tight.