Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
An oracle product? A mess? Never. Never.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Takes No Damage posted:

Are there any cool and good distros that are roadmapped to continue supporting 32bit? I've been putting Lubuntu on all my old hardware for a while now, and just tried installing 18.10 on a hand-me-down Toshiba laptop I just inherited. But it seems that 32bit, while claimed to be supported for this release, is a bit busted (at least on this particular hardware). Additionally, they've announced that they're sunetting i386 from 19.04 forward. I could reinstall 18.04 with is LTS until 2021, but after that I'm in the wind.

I'd prefer to stay with a *buntu/Debian descendant just because it's what I'm most familiar with, but for this old tossaround laptop I'm not particularly married to it (although I guess with Ubuntu itself dropping 32bit any derivatives would soon follow?).

What's your motivation for staying purely x86?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mystes posted:

Your laptop isn't going to have a 32 bit processor in 2019. Even if it came with 32 bit windows because it only has 2gb or ram and even if it only has 32-bit UEFI it will still run 64 bit linux fine.

You probably just downloaded the wrong installer.

Unless the machine he got is that old, which scares me :ohdear:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hollow Talk posted:

Everything newer than the Core 2 supports x86-64, as do some older things. This should be fine.

True. I picked up a cheap Lenovo Thinkpad with Quad AMD for like $90 for my InfoSec class, and its fully x86-64, and fully VTd comliant.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VostokProgram posted:

Bit of a strange question but, if I built a computer without a GPU what could I do to actually install and configure Linux on it? Obviously once the network is up you can ssh in and do whatever but how do you get it to that point? On an embedded board with no screen I would connect to a serial port to use the shell, can I do something similar on a PC?

Context being I want to set up a server at home and it seems silly to spend money on a GPU just to run the installer. I know some motherboards have IPMI that solves this problem completely but I don't know if I'll actually end up getting one of those.

http://www.sundby.com/index.php/install-ubuntu-16-04-with-usb-stick-and-serial-console/

Built out PfSense boxes via this method. As long as your BIOS is set to boot off whatever is plugged in, it should work.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

apropos man posted:

Interesting. Thanks.

Meanwhile, in Red Hat land, anyone know what the official line is in configuring network interfaces now that Fedora have decided to remove ifcfg scripts? I used nmcli to sort out my bridge, but I don't know what the suggested method is.

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/networking_guide/ch-configure_network_bridging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

other people posted:

When a NIC driver loads, kernelspace assigns a name in the format ethX where X is the lowest currently unused number. The kernel is inherently stateless and there is no guarantee drivers will always load in the same order so the kernel-assigned ethX names cannot be expected to be consistent across reboots ( though if you only have one interface or they all use the same driver it probably will be 99% of the time). So for consistency, an OS must havr some userspace component to rename the interfaces when they appear. For most (all?) current distros this is some set of udev rules/scripts/helpers. net.ifnames is a setting recognized by systemd-udev to enable/disable the enoX/ensX/enpXsY style naming; it means nothing to the kernel itself.

Most distros seem to have persistent-net enabled in udev, especially Server distros.