Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
not linux but FreeNAS will do what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

kubuntu? =O

There's also Fedora and a few others.

also in regards to ram: I have 2GB on this and more than half that is buffers, I run several services bound to 127.0.0.1 and compiz-fusion.

deimos fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 23, 2007

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

sund posted:

I want to do mpd, asterisk and maybe myth-backend on the same machine eventually, so a general purpose distro would be better suited. Thanks though.

Then Debian, for this probably unstable since it'll have the newest packages for mpd/myth/asterisk.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

thenameseli posted:

And please don't spread misinformation about distros. Debian certainly has nothing resembling 'dependency hell,' nor to my knowledge did it ever have a reputation for such in the past. The rpm-based distros you mention certainly had problems a few years ago, but from what I understand the situation is much improved now. I'm glad your setup works but he said he didn't want to build everything from source.

Debian unstable has had dependency problems, but generally speaking they were very mild. Gentoo unstable (or whatever the unstable branch is called) has crippled entire computers before with a long rear end recovery process.

edit: thinking further on the whole what OS to use on my NAS box, if opensolaris can run all the programs you need that's probably your absolute best bet ZFS :fap:.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

dfn_doe posted:

And this is just plain stupid. Why on earth would you run anything called "unstable" and expect anything less than exactly that!??! A vanilla gentoo build is one of the most stable and easy to manage systems available. And the aforementioned lack of unneeded dependencies is one of the reasons why.

Unstable is not the testing branch, but some developers thought it was a good idea to publish directly to the unstable branch and break everything for a lot of people.

Also, dependency hell does not generally mean what you think it means, as posted above.

quote:

Point being, for a headless network sever running off a very small flash based root you don't want to add an extra several hundred megs of libraries that aren't ever going to ever have their associated functionality used. Likewise your executables will have a smaller memory footprint if they aren't built against all those libraries to begin with.

If it's a headless network server running off a very small flash based root, why should it be dedicating most of it's CPU power to compiling instead of disk management like a good headless system should?

Also if you can't install vim without x11, you should stop using an apt-based distro, because you clearly don't get it.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Crush posted:

Has anyone ever had luck running or compiling zdoom on their Ubuntu machine? I have tried several tutorials and HOWTOs on how to do so (for Linux distros in general, not particularly Ubuntu) and they always fail somewhere during compilation.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong soa ny insight would be appreciated.

did you apt-get install build-essential ? (also hermes1-dev )

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Bonus posted:

Thanks, I installed compiz fusion and it's working very nicely now. That expo stuff is excellent.
Although, if I restart X (so I'm guessing that will happen when I boot up Ubuntu, I haven't rebooted yet), I have to run 'compiz --replace' to turn it on. How could I automate this so that it's on everytime Ubuntu boots up?

System->Preferences->Sessions

and add an entry for: compiz --replace

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

I am not at my computer, but I am having problems with it's clock going fast, I boot it with the noapic option but I still get severe clock drifts (about a minute or so gain an hour, maybe more). Without noapic I am pretty sure the drifts were worse.

What are the diagnostic steps I can take to see what's up.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

ChlamydiaJones posted:

:words:
code:
su
results in a password request for root that has no password.

Boot into single user mode with init=/bin/bash
1. Reboot your machine; press 'Esc' to get to the GRUB menu; select your image; press 'e' to edit; select the Kernel line.

2. Press 'e' to edit the kernel line. Edit the line to get rid of quiet and splash; change 'ro' to 'rw'; and add 'init=/bin/bash'.

3. Press 'enter' then 'b' to boot with these new settings.

Voila, root. Do a passwd or a visudo now.

Also,

teapot posted:

Also please don't forget that there is one build environment on Linux and Unix-like systems, and it's called "make". Most editors have various ways of calling it without actually being a "development environment" in themselves, and [X]Emacs can use compilers' error messages to jump to the mentioned lines/files.

Can you recomend some good reading to learn the GNU toolchain?

deimos fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 25, 2007

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

No problems here:
code:
05:01.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)
It's pretty drat stable all things considered (my house is a loving interference nightmare). I am not sure if I have a DWL 510 or 520.

Did it work before switching to Linux? Maybe it's a dd-wrt power setting. Try flipping the antennas from the router to your adapter.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

I used G4L / Ghost 4 Linux today, and Hard Drive performance from a 5400RPM ATA33 IDE drive was about 17 megabytes/second for reading.

Under Windows, this drive benched 30 megabytes/sec sustained over USB2.

Does anyone know if G4L has performance issues? I tried direct to disk copying, and from the disk to the network (just to make sure it wasn't an issue with the system writing to the other drive). It would not get past 17 megabytes/sec.

did you use both through USB2 or did you plug it in to IDE on Linux? Maybe you used a 40 cable ribbon instead of an 80?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

or:
nohup gmail-nofity &> /dev/null &

edit: technically speaking the post above should've been 'disown -h' I think.

deimos fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 3, 2007

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

teapot posted:

Another way to keep a background process running is running it with nohup -- nohup redirects program's output to a file nohup.out, and disables SIGHUP.

This is only the case if you don't already redirect the output (at least from my experience), nohup does not even create nohup.out if you redirect.

code:
deimos@erebus:~$ nohup ps aux &> /dev/null
deimos@erebus:~$ cat nohup.out 
cat: nohup.out: No such file or directory
deimos@erebus:~$ nohup ps aux
nohup: appending output to `nohup.out'
deimos@erebus:~$ cat nohup.out 
USER       PID %CPU %MEM    VSZ   RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND

deimos fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 5, 2007

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Bubba Ho-Tep posted:

I'm not really sure, but it's a Dell Inspiron 8600, so I'm hoping it's a fairly common one.

Probably a Broadcomm :barf: it'll most likely be supported through ndiswrapper. Which is fairly standard now a days.

Both my Linux computers run wireless out of the box but that's because I knew what I was buying before I did. My Vostro 1500 I ordered with the Intel adapter and I got a specific D-Link PCI adapter for Atheros goodness.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Deezul posted:

I have Ubuntu installed on a slave IDE, Windows on a SATA. By default the first boot device is the IDE slave, how would I add the windows onto grub, and make it always ask which to boot from?

Add:
code:
title           Windows NT/2000/XP (loader)
root            (hd0,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader     +1
to /boot/grub/menu.lst near the end, then run update-grub. Grub should already ask you for which kernel to use. If it doesn't, menu.lst is fairly well commented on Ubuntu.

Deezul posted:

The Ubuntu install is hd0, and the Windows is on sda0, should the root be sda0,0 for the windows title?

No, grub doesn't care about whether it is IDE or SATA, just the order of booting.
/dev/sda will most likely be hd0 and /dev/hda will be hd1. Remember this because if you install another SATA HD you might have to fix your menu.lst.

deimos fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 13, 2007

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

teapot posted:

GRUB uses BIOS disk numbering (hddevice,partition) with device and partition numbering starting from 0, so no. Depending on the BIOS handling of IDE and SATA one of the devices will be hd0, the othe hd1, so if your entry for Linux has (hd0,partition) , entry for Windows should be (hd1,0) , and if (most likely) it's (hd1,partition) , Windows is on (hd0,0) .

Ohh yeah, about this, if I am mistaken and hd1 is Windows, then yo might have to map the drives or Windows will get mighty confoozled (grub with Windows involves a lot of trial and error).

My entry above with mapping added:
code:
title           Windows NT/2000/XP (loader)
root            (hd1,0)
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader     +1
Again, this is only necessary if you boot windows from grub after configuring it and it just craps up on you for no apparent reason.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Zuph posted:

uTorrent works amazingly well in Wine. And I don't mean "amazingly well" as in "it works kind of sort of after installing layer after layer of hack and installing a special version of wine from source," but that I have yet to find a distro or system running any reasonably recent version of wine that did not run uTorrent as well as native windows.

My uTorrent stopped working after a while, and by stopped working I mean it stopped displaying it's windows, not sure if it's utorrent, wine or compiz causing it, but I am angered by having to use rtorrent.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Vanadium posted:

It occasionally does that for me until I click the systray icon twice. I think it believes it is minimised or something.

I know about that one, but not too long ago it started refusing to come up. I think wine is actually drawing a window, but I can't see it because there's an area where the cursor changes to the default wine cursor. I'll spend some time on it tonight I guess.

deimos fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 15, 2007

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Silvyn posted:

I'm a huge fan of rtorrent running with screen. It's super lightweight, has all of the features you could want in a torrent program (encryption, global throttling, per-torrent throttling, setting priorities on files), and runs on a ncurses-based user interface accessible via SSH. By SSHing into your machine you can fully control it. I have mine set up to watch a directory so starting a torrent is as simple as putting the file in there.

UPnP and DHT are the only things I miss out of uTorrent. Mostly because I forgot my router's password and can't forward the ports and don't want to re-flash it. =O

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Harokey posted:

I'm trying to get a computer lab set up that is dual booting.

I'd like the machines to remember which OS they last booted into, and reboot into that OS.

I have this working on my laptop in Ubuntu, but the Computer lab is openSUSE 10.2

Here's the grub menu.lst:
Now we just edited that file by hand, I've tried poking around in Yast and I can't figure out the setting anywhere in that GUI. Any Ideas?

Edit: Linux Always boots.

did you grub-install?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Evil Robot posted:

So WTF is up with rtorrent and ntfs-3g? Why must they hate each other?

(Still have an external drive formatted NTFS, why must I still boot into a graphical interface to use uTorrent when I could be using the bliss that is screen and rtorrent)

Not really rtorrent's or ntfs-3g's fault but NTFS's fault exacerbated by rtorrent's lack of pre-allocation.

edit: you could download into / and transfer into your external automatically from rtorrent's config.

deimos fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 17, 2007

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

dorkface posted:

I assume I didn't do that right?

Does not seem like you restarted X after changing Xorg.conf. (Ctrl+Alt+Backspace or /etc/init.d/gdm restart)

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

dorkface posted:

I looked through the /etc/init.d/ directory, and gdm is not in there for some reason.

Doh, cause you're using Kubuntu, I meant kdm.

dorkface posted:

Also, I just found out if I change "nv" to "nvidia", if I have to shut down the system for some reason, it will not boot completely; it gets stuck trying to initialize a script or something. After fiddling with recovery console, and changing "nvidia" back to "nv", it works fine.

you do realize that nvidia-glx are not the drivers for 8800, right? you want nvidia-glx-new. Make sure that you remove nvidia-glx first.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

dorkface posted:

Thank you! That worked perfectly! :D

And, no, I didn't know that the 8800gts needed the new drivers. :o

Glad to help, I should've caught that from your first post but I didn't read it, just read your step by step and answered that.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Col posted:

With that caveat in mind, the wine project has made huge strides in getting your favourite programs to run (fairly sure photoshop is on the list with the very latest versions) although expect a quirk or two.

ShadowHawk may correct me but wine supports upto CS2 not CS3.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

DMLou posted:

Okay, I've been trolling official forums, IRC chat rooms, etc., trying to figure out how to get this to work. Goons, you are my last hope.

I have an IBM ThinkPad T42 with an Atheros wifi chip. Way back when I first installed Ubuntu Feisty, wireless worked great. However, some time later (I don't know what/when exactly), wireless stopped working. I upgraded to Gutsy (slightly early...), hoping that Gutsy fixed the problem. No dice.

I've gone through the various troubleshooting howtos and can get it to the point where the driver loads and recognizes the card and can even see the various SSIDs being broadcast in my general vicinity. However, it refuses to associate with an AP, get an IP address, etc.

Can anybody out there help me? :)

Sounds like a job for the Linux thread! Might wanna start by posting the result of dmesg | grep ath

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

hooah posted:

Edit: Nevermind, after doing a number of dir commands, it seems terminal wants directories that have more than one word to be entered in the form "word1\ word2" Strange.

Tab completion would've solved that, and would've saved you a ton of time.

/me{tab}/W{tab}/Pr{tab}/Fin{tab}/FIN{tab}E{tab}

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

astr0man posted:

Is it worth it to upgrade to Gutsy? I'm running Feisty right now, and I've got a nice setup with beryl and all kinds of other poo poo that I would rather not have to go through again.

My upgrade was rather flawless, and I had 3v1's compiz-fusion. All I did was remove 3v1's (basically remove 3v1's repository then apt-get install apt-show-versions then apt-show-versions | grep 3v1 and remove compiz/config/plugins then reinstall) then upgrade to gutsy. I actually fixed the 3v1 problem post-upgrade.

Is it worth upgrading? I don't know, Gutsy seems to be a more refined Feisty, way more refined. From big things like smoother driver transitions down to the little details like per-application keyring settings.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Today I found out that a job that moves some files to one of our servers has been writing them with the wrong permissions. The files contain sensitive data and are in a world readable directory but the files themselves have 062 permissions, meaning they are world writable but not readable. Outside of the obvious 'cat /dev/null > *' which is pretty bad, is there anything I should be worried about that users may have been able to do? Or are they pretty much restricted to wrecking the contents of the files? My main concern is if people somehow gained the ability to read the contents of the files. Is there anything screwy that can be done with those permissions to allow someone access to read the contents?

Obvious question, why can't you `chmod o-w -R *`?

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I can and the permissions issue has already been resolved. My question is whether or not anyone would have been able to somehow weasel their way into the files to read their contents with only write permissions. Because they were in this bad state for a few weeks, I'm concerned that this could have happened. I can't think of anything off the top of my head but figured I should ask anyway.

You're pretty much safe, except for possible data deletion/modification.

deimos fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 1, 2007

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

1. make one of the 160s the C drive (this is for catering to lovely windows apps that assume there's a c: drive)
2. install window to the 160
3. install ubuntu to the 80
4. ???
5. Profit?

Ubuntu should automagically set up grub to boot both Windows and Ubuntu regardless of what drive they're installed in.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

I am having an annoying problem sometimes with Gutsy on my laptop (Vostro 1500). I am not sure it has 100% to do with Xorg or compiz and not 100% sure it has to do with booting into battery but seems to exacerbate it if I do so.

The problem: sometimes when I boot into gutsy, it's really slow to respond. This is exemplified by the fact that if I click and drag to select icons on my Desktop it really really lags. I am running a top right now (plugged in to wall) with firefox also open and it shows firefox-bin at 19-25% constant CPU (edit: flash was running), compiz at 5% and Xorg 2-6%. My CPU is fluctuating 800MHz to 1600MHz. When I click and drag on the desktop Xorg jumps to 85-90% usage. (CPU usage is from having booted into battery then plugged in)

This is mostly a minor annoyance because I can just restart X (ctrl+alt+backspace) and it fixes itself most of the time. But I'd like it to not happen. There seem to be no errors on Xorg.0.log, the nvidia driver seems to load correctly including:

code:
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling RENDER acceleration
(II) NVIDIA(0): Support for GLX with the Damage and Composite X extensions is
(II) NVIDIA(0):     enabled.
..snip..
(II) Loading extension NV-GLX
(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA 3D Acceleration Architecture Initialized
(II) NVIDIA(0): Using the NVIDIA 2D acceleration architecture
Cpu: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5470 @ 1.60GHz

If you need anything else, let me know.

P.S. Also, does anyone know how to make loving touchpad less spazztic click-wise? edit: I think I solved my own problem.

deimos fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 9, 2007

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Toiletbrush posted:

Random question:

Is it possible that different compiler versions may just break applications in non-obvious ways?

I've compiled WINE with gcc 3.4.3 and while simple Windows applications work, for instance trying to get a game working (EVE), just results in WINE exiting with code 255 and no output.

Applying some recommended CFLAGS actually breaks the compilation, too.

I'm compiling gcc 4.2.2 now, though it's unsupported, since it supposedly introduces various bugs in applications compiled for Solaris.

Is this a linux or solaris question? Are you using the directions for solaris for installing wine?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Since it was one of the last posts of the last page, anyone have any ideas for my problem?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Jo posted:

92 processes (omg)

HAH, 92, weak.

code:
$ ps aux | wc -l
Only using 1GB or so too.

code:
$ free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:       2075560    2012288      63272          0     192960     713452
-/+ buffers/cache:    1105876     969684
Swap:      2241028      58032    2182996
most of that is firefox :cry:
code:
deimos   12349  2.8 21.3 581564 442960 ?       SLl  Nov13 144:12 /usr/lib/firefox/firefox-bin
yes, that's a three day old firefox :monocle:

edit:
After restarting firefox and pidgin:
code:
$ free
Mem:       2075560    1411368     664192          0     194560     721968
-/+ buffers/cache:     494840    1580720
Swap:      2241028      58032    2182996
I get the feeling you just don't know how to read the output of ps and free

If you're really paranoid of that huge amount of stuff you have swapped run:
code:
echo 20 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
That'll make stuff less swappy.

deimos fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 17, 2007

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Jo posted:

I'd like to think I do. It just didn't seem normal to see so much taken up.

If I'm connected via ssh I use pa (aliased to `ps aux`) and free. Otherwise I'll fire up KDE system guard and look at the pretty graphs. :downs:

alright, quick runthrough:
code:
$ free -m
Mem:          2026       1409        616          0        191        715
-/+ buffers/cache:        502       1524
Swap:         2188         56       2131

I have 2 GB on this machine (it reports slightly less because it doesn't report some that is taken by the kernel), 1409MB is what I am using including buffers (file and otherwise), the 616MB is completely unallocated memory.

The -/+ buffers/cache line is the important one, means that it's the actual numbers without taking caches into account, so my programs are using 502MB and I have 1524MB free, but 715 is allocated in caches and 191 in file (file is misgiving, because the linux kernel treats pretty much everything like a filesystem) buffers.

Swap is self explanatory.

deimos fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 17, 2007

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Does anyone have any experience with Arch linux? I want to set it up as a personal dev server (git, lighty or apache, django (svn), couchdb, postgre) to play around with some of the bleeding edge stuff out there like couchdb, but need it to be less compile-intensive than gentoo because it'll sit on a VPS. Is Arch good/stable enough for this?

I don't need it to be 100% stable but good enough that an update won't cripple my system, I know this is always a risk with rolling release distros.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

m3jsh posted:

Are there any webgui torrent clients that are less buggy than torrentflux/torrentflux-b4rt? rTorrent really isn't for me. Also, I'm running debian on a headless fileserver.

http://mldonkey.sourceforge.net/ or http://btg.berlios.de/

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

atticus posted:

But moreso something like this:

code:
[butts.desktop ~]
So far in my research I've found I can use \h which provides the short hostname or \H which provides the too-long FQDN, but what about something to get me the hostname + subdomain? I've done research on the PROMPT_COMMAND variable but that really hasn't gotten me anything useful.

I'm a network engineer, and pretty retarded when it comes to Linux type stuff; I know enough to get me into trouble and that's pretty much it. Thanks for your help here.

code:
gawk -F'.' '{for (i=1; i <= NF-2; i = i+1) {printf $i; if ( i < NF-2) printf "."} }'

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Scaevolus posted:

Why not just
code:
${`hostname`%.*}
(bash, deletes the shortest match of .* (not regex, glob) from the end of the string)

Cause I've been learning awk and it's all I could think of. :v: (TWBP's solution is what he wants, not what I quoted.)

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Ericcorp posted:

I don't mean prompts with in asterisk, but just command line prompts. For example:

apt-get install -y gcc

returns

Please insert the Ubuntu CD Version Flippity Flop 6.08
Press [enter] to continue...

Well, I don't have the Flippity Flop disk. But, it did infact download the package, but that's beside the point. It's waiting for me to push enter, but I don't have the disk. When I press enter, it just keeps asking over and over. I just need a way to quit the prompt and get back to a root shell or whatever the basic command prompt is.

remove the CD ROM entries from /etc/apt/sources.list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Casual Racist posted:

Can anyone tell me how I can set up sshd to only allow people from my local network to access it, ie 192.168.2.xxx? I know I need to add some lines to the hosts.allow and hosts.deny, but I'm not sure how to add IP ranges.

this is really a job for iptables, not ssh