Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There's an ubuntu package for flash, which makes it mind numbingly simple. I think it's flash-nonefree or something. All it does is wget the Adobe labs thing, but it will get a new one automatically when/if a new version is released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Just a quick question about Symlinking

I have a server that is doing call recording to /var/log/asterisk/spool/monitor/
The client installed a 1TB USB drive for me to record on. For a variety of reasons I can't change the programs config, so I'd like to sym link the old recording folder to the new one.

That's not hard to do, I realize, but the old path has a few gigs of recordings already in it. When I symlink it to the other path, how will it treat the files in the old path? Will the suddenly vanish?

They will dissapear I'm pretty sure, and only be recoverable by doing some file system level inode stuff. That's assuming ln will even let you do that. I think it will just say 'folder exists' an die out. You'll need to move the monitor folder onto the new drive and then create a symlink in spool. So you'll have to stop recording for a couple of minutes while the old recordings copy over.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

GregNorc posted:

Is there a way to boot to a partition on an external USB drive?

BT4 is currently a 1.4GB image, and my main USB drive is only 1GB.

I need BT4 for certain stuff. I have a 500GB drive which I partitioned off 8GB on with gparted and then installed BT4 on the partition with unetbootin, but I still can't get my 1008HA to let me select that partition (I boot up, hit escape to enter the menu, the only options are the large, non BT4 parition on the 500GB, or my internal hard drive, no third option for the BT4 partition.)

Did you make the BT4 partition bootable in gparted? As far as I know the BIOS can only boot from a drive, and from there can only pick the 'bootable' partition.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

thelightguy posted:

The bios can boot from any device that provides a boot ROM, be it a SATA controller, a network controller, or even a PCI card with an operating system on ROM. In the case of the a hard drive, it reads the MBR, and loads the code there. What it's giving you the option of is booting from that particular USB device, which it'll treat exactly like any other hard drive.

What you're thinking of is that the DOS MBR uses the bootable flag to find which partition contains command.com, and the NT MBR uses the bootable flag to find which partition contains NTLDR.

Won't GRUB/LILO use a bootable flag to determine which partition it should be booting from?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

The Merkinman posted:

Back in June my brother purchased a Vostro A90 with "Dellbuntu" 8.04 installed. For Christmas he got an external DVD drive.

He can play mp3 files fine (via the included Fluendo codecs)
He can rip CDs to ogg fine
However He cannot rip to mp3, as that option is grayed out in such applications as Rhythmbox.

Calls to Dell Support have sent him in circles with transfers.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CDRipping#MP3 Encoding

Since MP3 encoding techincally requires some kind of license, it doesn't come with Ubuntu by default.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

sonic bed head posted:

I have two questions:

1)Is there anything like Freexer for the mac? I don't know what exactly you call what Freexer does. Is that X11 forwarding? I don't need a full desktop environment, I just need to be able to run graphical things like gedit.

2)Is there a way to open up a directory in your home directory completely to another user without access to root? I have a SVN repo in my home folder ~/svn. I am trying to give my partner access to it so she can check in and out. I've chmod 777 ~/svn -R and she gets an access is denied error. Any idea of what to do? Do you have to have ownership of a directory to check out from SVN?

Thanks!

You should make a group for you two so you can set it to 770 instead of 777. Second, your home directory needs to be executable by her too. If you still want to go world readable, you need something like 701, or if you only want it group readable, 710 will work.

And I'm pretty sure Mac has an X11 client built in or that can be installed from the disc.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

sonic bed head posted:

I can make a group without being a super user? Also, why does the actual home directory need to be executable by her?

Do you know how I could find out if I have that client? I don't know how I'd use it. Just using the regular terminal, I get (gedit:13702): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: . Thanks for your help!

Is this a personal machine of yours, or a public machine (like at a University?) If it's at a University or something, talk to your support staff and they'll help you set something up. If it's your own machine, then why don't you have root access?

The reason the directory needs to be executable is that when a directory is executable it means you can cd into it. Try it yourself, create a directory, give it 777 permissions, cd into it, and then go back out, change it to 666, you won't be able to get in.

As for the Mac thing, I have no idea. Google OSX X11 forwarding or ask in a Mac thread I guess.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

sonic bed head posted:

Ah I see! It is at a university. I am emailing the system admin now. Thanks for your help!

I just checked my queue to see if you go to the University I work at...:ohdear: Looks like not.

Depending on how curmudgeony the neckbeard running things is, you might run into problems. Here's the way we do it, so you can offer it as a suggestion if the just flat out say 'no'

We create a group for the users, and then we have a separate partition (/class) where you can store your files or make an SVN repository.

Since you're at public machines, you don't want your home directory to be world readable by anybody. Especially if this is homework, if you have your svn directory wide open, anybody can go in there and read you homework (and since you're also granting write permission, they can change it too!)

And depending on how their partitioning scheme is, your partner may not even have a quota to touch files on your file system.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
You could even go nuts and use Xubuntu.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Misogynist posted:

I realize obviously that Solaris isn't Linux, but I didn't think this was worth posting its own thread for. I'm also not positive if this is kosher, since Sun's actual licensing is vague on this, so if the license says this is against the rules, consider it dropped.

I'm trying to pick up some Solaris experience, so I'm looking for some Solaris 8 and 9 ISOs, mostly to make sure I'm comfortable with upgrading Solaris 8 or 9 systems to Solaris 10. Unfortunately, these ISOs seem goddamn impossible to track down, even on torrent/file-sharing networks, and I'm not in the mood to start ordering media off of eBay. Does anyone know where I might pull up a copy? Both would be awesome, but either one or the other would suffice.

Do you know what the license is for 8 and 9? I could probably dig up some some 8 ISOs at work, though I'm not sure if you're allowed to have it or not without paying Oracle through the nose.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've got 5 Unix hosts at my house nowadays, and I'm thinking it's about time to stop having local accounts on each one of them.

I'm trying to choose between LDAP and NIS. We use NIS at work now, and I understand it. It's also apparently horribly outdated. It's also stupid simple, since all I need out of it is passwd, groups, and autofs.

On the other hand, LDAP is hard, but it's "the thing." We'll also be setting up some LDAP stuff here at work, and I was hoping my server at home could be a bit of a learning experience, but so far it's just so drat hard. I'm going to learn this stuff eventually, but I've got a few months and a VM server to play with at work.

So should I force myself to learn LDAP at home because it's better, or will NIS be good enough for me? What are the disadvantages to using NIS?

Also, if it matters (I suspect it does) my main server is OpenSolaris, and all my clients are Ubuntu. The Solaris version of the ldap* commands seem to not work the same way as they would on Linux.

All the guides I'm finding start out creating people directories, but I don't really want that, and all the guides for setting other stuff assume I have some idea what I'm doing (which I don't).

Uh, basically, help?

E: Also, not totally adverse to the idea of making one of my Ubuntu machines an LDAP server, if that will make this easier.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

General_Failure posted:

That is absolutely idiotic. I must have had a 'dead' firefox resident that spawned the new window then.

So this wonderful "feature" prevents a user from running firefox on a remote computer via X tunneling in ssh if there is a local version running. But the programs aren't even executing on the same machine. Now I have to experiment with other programs which do the already running instance check.

If I issue a command in SSH I don't want it to be hijacked by the local system. Thanks, Firefox.

firefox -no-remote

If you're also using an NFS mounted home directory so that each instance of firefox would be using the same profile, you'll need to launch firefox -P -no-remote to create a second profile.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Modern Pragmatist posted:

At work we use an NAS and there are several cases where a dynamic link would be ideal. Normally I would SSH into the box and setup the links; however, there is no shell access to the box. Is there any way to generate the equivalent of a dynamic link of a file without shell access?

The underlying file system has to support it first of all, and if it does you can just mount the file system on *nix client and make the links there.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Carthag posted:

Adding MAILTO=whatever@example.com at the beginning of a crontab will send the stdout/err to that address (if the host knows how to send emails that is). Use it at work for all our jobs, it's very quick to see if something failed and why.

Without that it will send to the user the cronjob runs on, which depending on your environment might be nothing.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Hydraulic Edwardian posted:

Dumbass Linux newbie question:

I love the cp command. It's retard powerful and no text command has any business being this useful. I've started using cp -Ru to backup all my documents to my Dropbox folder and my external HDD. I've set up an alias so that I can just type backup_docs into terminal and watch my backups get neatly archived. However, I still have to do this manually.

I know there is a way to get BASH to automatically execute commands on login/logout. My goal is to get cp -Ru ~/Documents etc. to execute every time I end a user session, so that if the unthinkable happens I always have a current backup.

Anyone know what the best way to do this is?

edit: Running Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I think something like .bash_login and .bash_logout (just read the man page, those are correct) get exectued at login and logout.

And for maximum mind blowing, checkout rsync. You should just be able to replace the 'cp' part of your command with 'rsync' and everything will keep on working. Except it will run a hash on the files on both sides and only copy stuff that has changed, saving yourself a nice chunk of time.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Hydraulic Edwardian posted:

Thanks. I will. Right now my documents folder is pretty small, so I can afford to just raw cp it. Once I start working on backing up my Music and such I'll get on that.

Would putting a command in .bash_logout also work?

The whole thing about .bashrc and .bash_login (and .profile) is a little confusing:

man bash posted:

When bash is invoked as an interactive login shell, or as a non-inter‐ctive shell with the --login option, it first reads and executes com‐mands from the file /etc/profile, if that file exists. After reading that file, it looks for ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, and ~/.profile, in that order, and reads and executes commands from the first one that exists and is readable. The --noprofile option may be used when the shell is started to inhibit this behavior.

When a login shell exits, bash reads and executes commands from thefile ~/.bash_logout, if it exists.

When an interactive shell that is not a login shell is started, bash reads and executes commands from /etc/bash.bashrc and ~/.bashrc, if these files exist. This may be inhibited by using the --norc option. The --rcfile file option will force bash to read and execute commands from file instead of /etc/bash.bashrc and ~/.bashrc.

So when you login to the GUI, or SSH in, That's a login shell: .bash_profile, .bash_login, or .profile is executed, whichever it finds first. And when your GUI or SSH session ends, .bash_logout is executed. If you open a terminal from within your GUI enviroment, or I suppose launch an xterm from your SSH session, that's an interactive session. In that case, .bashrc is read.

The way Ubuntu (and I assume Xubuntu) does it by default is it creates .profile and .bashrc, all the good stuff goes in .bashrc, and .profile just executes .bashrc (and also puts ~/bin in your path). I think you would want to put your backup command in .bash_logout, since it makes sense that you'd want to backup on exit.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

HFX posted:

rsync is a terminal command.

Yeah, and about a zillion times more powerful than cp. Just try replacing the 'cp' in your alias with 'rsync' and see how that goes for you.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

rt4 posted:

My suggestion is to forget about VNC and use NX. It's the fastest remote desktop thing I've ever used. In fact, I'm posting from it right now.

If you already have a working sshd, then all you need to do is install the Ubuntu packages from nomachine.com and it's ready to go.

Yep, it is basically awesome.

I've got it setup on my server to start a session on boot of the machine. It's a bit of a hack, but I can post the script if you're interested.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

rt4 posted:

Why do you start an NX session on boot? Couldn't you just start whatever session you want when you connect?

I have GUI programs that I want started at boot.

And here's how I did it:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1034807
(that's not me)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

enotnert posted:

Easiest way for someone relatively new to do it, is make sure it's running, and when logging out make sure you have "save session" clicked (I haven't used fedora 12, I know in previous fedoras it was actually in one of the settings under system-preferences or something). Log out, log back in, then uncheck the save session.

That's kind of a dirty hack. I think you can specify programs that get run when you login. I don't think you actually want that to run at login, not start up. Having a GUI problem run at boot doesn't make any sense, because at boot there's no GUI to put it in.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

SynVisions posted:

This is all understandable due to Gentoo's choice to compile everything from source, but I feel that it gives users a poor impression of what Linux can be like. Maybe you'll learn the basics hacking away at source packages to try to get them to compile, but it's not really an environment conducive to usability. Just because your primary package management system doesn't force you to compile everything from source doesn't mean it's not suitable for your advanced needs.

Compiling everything from source can be pretty powerful when you realize that the binary package might not be compiled with all the options you want (ssl support comes to mind). Then you realize that this is 2010, not 1990, and my system is powerful enough to load the OpenSSl libraries even if I'm not using them, and then compiling everything makes no loving sense again.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Bob Morales posted:

Then again, todays systems can compile most poo poo in like 2 minutes.

I meant in the runtimes. The only reason I would want to compile binary without SSL support or whatever, since I can turn that feature off in the configuration, is because I don't want my binary to load those libraries and slow down the program. But hardware is fast enough that it doesn't matter.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

GregNorc posted:

Yeah, all of them seem to rely on random linux programs though :(

Well the write just finished at least. Now I can do it again, since I just realized I should have used the 64 bit version.

If you send a USR1 signal (kill -USR1 <pid>) it will display how much bits dd has copied, though in base 10 instead of base 2. As long as you know about how big the source file is you can get an idea of how far it's gone.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Keito posted:

Yeah, unetbootin can be pretty unreliable. Images I create under Linux will never boot, while images produced the few times I've ran the program in Windows would occasionally work.

I haven't used it in a while, but my experience has usually been that the Linux version will die horribly while the Windows version works just fine. It's sad that they manage to gently caress up such a useful program.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

JHVH-1 posted:

If you are getting so far that you actually get sounds from the OS, its booting properly and it probably just didn't auto-detect your video card or display settings. If you do ctrl-alt-F1 or other F keys you can switch between virtual terminals and see if you can get into the system.

Most installers have some sort of text based install option that wouldn't require X.

Yeah, this. You might have to grab the Ubuntu Alternate install CD which does a text install. Then you can get installed and mess around with X.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Question about running X programs from a remote server:

Is the graphics card used at all on the remote server? My server has the cheapest PCI video card I could find (some ancient 8mb ATI junk). It's not even powerful enough to run the Xserver on the machine itself, but I didn't think that mattered. But when I try and X forward anything on my desktop the program basically freezes, and even my terminals freeze. Although file sharing through Samba continues to work. Would a beefier graphics card solve this, or does this sound like another problem?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

ShoulderDaemon posted:

Nope.

Something else is going on. What commands are you running?

Well actually this is a Solaris box. My next guess is network, because I see this in the logs occasionaly:

Apr 18 00:36:19 terpestorage mac: [ID 486395 kern.info] NOTICE: e1000g0 link down
Apr 18 00:36:21 terpestorage mac: [ID 435574 kern.info] NOTICE: e1000g0 link up, 1000 Mbps, full duplex

Also whenever it boots I have to manually restart networking services before I can actually reach the machine. The terminals sometimes hang when I'm not X forwarding anything.

I'm running Azureus (to get it configured before I start it headless) and virt-manager (used to control the XVM virtual machines).

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

GregNorc posted:

Someone suggested I use the alternative install cd, so I used unetbootin to put that iso onto my usb drive. This worked.

However, I only have command line access to ubuntu right now... how would I go about adding the various graphical elements? I have a Thinkpad X201, with the following hardware specs:

Intel® Core™ i5-520M
500GB 7200RPM 2.5" SATA
4GB PC3-8500 RAM
Intel HD graphics

The alternate install should have still installed the desktop. Run this command:
aptitude search ubuntu-desktop

If you have a desktop installed, you'll see something like this:
p edubuntu-desktop - educational desktop for Ubuntu
p edubuntu-desktop-kde - educational desktop for Kubuntu
p kubuntu-desktop - Kubuntu desktop system
p lubuntu-desktop - Lubuntu Desktop environment
i ubuntu-desktop - The Ubuntu desktop system
p xubuntu-desktop - Xubuntu desktop system

If you don't see any 'i' then you don't have a desktop, in which case you would 'sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop' (or sudo aptitude install ubuntu-desktop, if you prefer aptitude). If you do have the package installed, try and X11. If you're using xubuntu or ubuntu, it'll be 'sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start' or for kubuntu I think 'sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start'. If those fail, X11 should give you some debug info, and there should be a log file /etc/X11.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

waffle iron posted:

code:
apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment

That looks like it will install the official Gnome without any of the Ubuntu changes. Looks like it's a carryover from Debian. Depends on if that's what you want or not. I don't have that package installed on my Ubuntu system, but it looks like it just 'requires' all sorts of Gnome stuff, so I probably have most of it installed already anyway.

E: That package actually isn't installable. It fast-user-switch-applet, but that package can't be installed because it's been replaced with gdm. So don't go that route.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 18, 2010

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

waffle iron posted:

Yeah, I said I was guessing pretty hard. My Google-fu isn't strong enough.

I only figured it out by trying to install it on my Ubuntu system.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

rt4 posted:

If you want a game server and it has a native server binary, just run it! Don't beat your head against the wall trying to learn something you don't care about. Run whatever you want, see how bad you gently caress it up, then reinstall because you don't have any important data on that partition. Eventually you'll learn how to fix or prevent your mistakes and you'll feel like a wizard until you meet someone else in person that does it better.

That's how I learned, anyway.

And then you kill them and feed of your power!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Hard thing about 'learning Linux' is that you need a goal in mind. You can't just install it and then hope for the best. You need a specific goal in mind. Install a web server and get some simple pages going, set up Samba to share some files, get a game server going, etc. If you're really brave, your goal can be to use it as your primary system. Use it for web browsing, chatting, mail, etc. When something doesn't act like you want it to, try and fix it.

BTW, not really directed at anybody in particular, just my experience with learning Linux. And Solaris. And LDAP. And NIS. And Kerberos. And etc etc etc.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Riso posted:

Except in Ubuntu you do it the Debian way, using make-kpkg instead of simply make.

Also you can update kernels in Synaptic.

Yeah, sudo apt-get dist-upgrade should pull the latest kernel, along with everything else. If you're weird and don't want to update any other packages, if you just install 'linux-generic' and 'linux-headers-generic' you'll get the latest kernel.

On my 9.10 box I'm currently getting 2.6.31-20. On a 9.04 box the latest looks to be 2.6.28-18. hth

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Zom Aur posted:

And the latest stable on kernel.org is 2.6.33.

What I'm saying is that if his hardware isn't supported or is unstable on the latest kernel in ubuntu he's gonna need some other source for the kernel. Either an unstable repo (which I don't know any) or compile it himself from source.

There were some major changes in the intel driver between .32 and .33, so it could be a good idea to try that kernel.

OK, I wasn't sure if he'd run any upgrades or not. First step is get Ubuntu's latest kernel, and step to can be the PPA for kernels.

Now, onto my problem!

I've got a multi-monitor setup, with a monitor above my main monitor. I'm also running Gnome, with a toolbar on the top of my main monitor. For a maximized window on that screen, and for some other windows, the windows open up against the top of the screen, not against the top of the toolbar, like they would if I didn't have a monitor above the main. Right now my dirty hack is to use the 'hide toolbar' option to get it to slide to the side, then I can touch my menu bar.

This almost isn't even a problem because I don't maximize things on that screen, and for most things I can right click on the window's icon and choose move, but that doesn't work for rdesktop, so I'm stuck with my loving rdesktop windows humping the top of my screen, immovable.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

GregNorc posted:

Basically, my particular processor (i5) has an integrated graphics unit that apparently needs 2.6.33, I found a tutorial online to get the .debs needed and installed.

The other thing is apparently I need to make sure that I have the Intel Xorg driver 2.10 or newer.

Running "apt-cache search xorg | grep intel" brings up an entry titled

"xserver-xorg-video-intel", but when I went to run it, apt told me I'm at the latest version.

I know my kernel is actually higher than the stock Ubuntu 9.04 (2.6.33), so I'm worried that what Ubuntu considers "current" is not actually the latest driver... however it's not mentioning a verson number, if anyone knows how I can verify I'm running Intel Xorg driver 2.10 or higher, I'd appreciate it, I wanna try and do both before restarting.

Thanks for all the help so far BTW :)
aptitude show xserver-xorg-video-intel

Also, why are you running 9.04? Especially since you're having bleeding edge hardware problems, I'd think the latest distro would be the best idea. Hell, the 10.04 RC is out, give that a try.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

wolrah posted:

Two X related questions:

1. I know how to tunnel X over SSH, but what if I want to launch an app on the machine's local X display while logged in from another machine over SSH? For example, starting XBMC on my HTPC from my laptop on the couch.

2. Is there something like screen for X? Some way I could connect over SSH, launch some X apps, disconnect, then reconnect or go to the local console and "restore" those apps current state just like I can with CLI/TUI apps?

1. I think if you set your DISPLAY variable it might work
2. FreeNX.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Thoom posted:

I just installed the Ubuntu Lucid RC on my new laptop via a rather convoluted process, as the install CD just gave me a black screen. I started by installing Intrepid, then upgrading to Jaunty/Karmic/Lucid via the update manager.

First of all, is this going to screw me over somehow? I know I'm missing GRUB2 and stuck with ext3 as a filesystem, but is that actually worth worrying about?

Second, due to these repeated release upgrades, I have 4 different kernels in my /boot directory. Since the Lucid kernel (2.6.32-21-generic) seems to work, is it safe to simply delete the older ones and run update-grub to clean up my boot menu, or is there some preferred way to do this via automated tools?

You should be able to use an alternate install CD to install without the GUI. That sounds like an X issue in the Live CD that obviously isn't present in the full on system, so bypassing X in the install should get you up to speed with all the spiffy new stuff.
All the way back to 8.10? Really? 9.10 didn't even work?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

GregNorc posted:

Yeah, this worked, I can boot and start to install the 10.04 RC cd I made, however the final release CD I have boots to a black screen, no way to edit boot options.

I'm gonna just settle for the RC at this point and hope someone else has the same error, or maybe wait a couple weeks til they update the Fedora USB creator and try that... there shouldn't be any major issues from running the RC right?

Edit: If I do an upgrade from the RC to the final release, will it save my edited grub or hose it and thus brick the machine?

If you run 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade' you'll be off the RC and onto the final. And in fact 'sudo apt-get upgrade' will do. I just checked on my RC machine, only 60 packages, about 100 MB, to update.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

GregNorc posted:

wlan0 802.11bg ESSID:"fleshlight" Nickname:"rtl8191SEVA2"

Heh. Have you run the 'Hardware Drivers' tool yet? It's in either Administration or Prefrences. If there's a package needed to run that wifi card, that tool will find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

GregNorc posted:

Just posting to say I found a fix... if you have a Realtek 8191SE-VA2, install this .deb

https://launchpad.net/~matt-price/+archive/mattprice/+files/rtl8192se-dkms_2.6.0015.0127.2010_all.deb

(install it by entering dpkg -i (filename) in the directory you DLed it to)

Restart, then enjoy sweet, sweet wifi.

On another note, while I disdain transparency and other uneeded CPU drains (probably a side effect of learning on lovely hand me down hardware until I was in college), I really, really, love OSX's Expose and spaces features...

1.) Since I had to disable KMS, I cannot turn on any visual effects (such as "real" transparency), so I guess the linux equivalent of expose is out of the question?

2.) I'd like to be able to mimic spaces in Linux. Not so much the whole "Hit F10 and get a set of all your workspaces" but I've noticed that Ubuntu treats each desktop as seperate.

If I have desktop A with Firefox open, desktop B with a bunch of terminal windows, and desktop C with Rhythmbox and Empathy open, if I am on desktop A and hit ALT-TAB, all it seems to see is firefox, whereas in OSX I would be able to hit ALT-TAB and select say, the terminal, and my desktop view would switch to the appropriate desktop. Is this possibly in Ubuntu?

Alt+arrow key can switch between work spaces. Up, down, left, right, depending on how your desktops are laid out.