Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

wolrah posted:

I have to be missing something here:

If I have two mysql processes each hitting over 90% CPU usage, how do those add up to one core at 100% and the other three idle?

That's a good question, but a better question is what's the sweet program that displays usage per core like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

rt4 posted:

I've been suing Ubuntu 64 for the past year and I haven't had any problems with Flash or 3D or anything else that I usually expect to go wrong on Linux.

Java and Flash were always the two stinkers. Now there's 64 bit Java, and a 64 bit Flash beta. Also the 32 bit flash runs with NDISwrapper, and there's even a package for it (do 'aptitude search adobe' to find the exact name, it changes).

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

NZAmoeba posted:

I ended up testing on a spare desktop, and it doesn't like the arguments from the shutdown command.

Turns out it's easy enough to just make a shutdown.sh which has the text 'shutdown -r now' and getting at to run that with:
at -vf shutdown.sh friday 02:00

(just make sure shutdown.sh is executable with chmod 770)

thanks for the advise.

It might work if you put the shutdown command in single quotes, so soething like this: at -vf 'shutdown -r now' friday 02:00

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

NZAmoeba posted:

My work really needs to send me on a scripting course...

I got a list of 55 names I need to add as new users to my bastion server. To make things easier I have a csv file set up so that it goes:

username,Human Name,password

my typical useradd process goes like such:
code:
root@server:~# useradd blah
Please enter the users full name: Blah Blah xxx
64 blocks
root@server:~# passwd blah
New Password:
Re-enter new Password:
passwd: password successfully changed for blah
root@server:~# passwd -f blah
passwd: password information changed for blah
The 'xxx' in the users full name is the company name, which for all users is the same.

I have a feeling the script to run through this would be pretty simple, but I've barely dipped my toe into scripting and wouldn't know where to start.

This is why I :heart: Python.

First you've got to get all those commands to run on one line (if you don't this becomes much harder). Splitting up those lines of text are pretty easy, open the file, read the line, split it on the comma character. Then for each line in the file, execute the commands.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

ToxicFrog posted:

Also, if you started something with '&', it will have given you a job ID you can use later:

code:
$ sleep 60 & sleep 120 &
[1] 30734
[2] 30735

$ jobs
[1]  running           sleep 60 &
[2]  running           sleep 120 &

$ kill %2
[2]- terminated        sleep 120 &
You can also use 'fg %foo' to foreground a job (ie, have it take control of the terminal), and 'bg %foo' to resume a paused job in the background. Google up 'bash job control' for details.

disown is a good one. I think by default it will remove any jobs that show up with 'jobs' from the context of your current shell, so you can safely close the shell without killing your jobs.

And speaking of ps and grep, why in the gently caress doesn't pgrep take the same options as ps? I'm tired of having to mentally find the grep process that always shows up when I pipe ps into grep. I want that same output, with one command, that doesn't show me extra useless poo poo.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

NZAmoeba posted:

sunos 5.9, and annoyingly this server doesn't have man.

useradd on it's own spits out: Usage: /usr/sbin/useradd [username]

any attempt to put a modifier in there just tries to create a username called '-c' or something.

Wow, you're install blows.

I just checked on a 5.8 and a 5.10 machine at work (no 5.9)

This is what I get on 5.8:
code:

UX: useradd: ERROR: invalid syntax.
usage:  useradd [-u uid [-o] | -g group | -G group[[,group]...] | -d dir |
                -s shell | -c comment | -m [-k skel_dir] | -f inactive |
                -e expire | -A authorization [, authorization ...] |
                -P profile [, profile ...] | -R role [, role ...]]
                -p project [, project ...] login
        useradd -D [-g group | -b base_dir | -f inactive | -e expire
                -A authorization [, authorization ...] |
                -P profile [, profile ...] | -R role [, role ...]] |
                -p project
And on 5.10:
code:

UX: useradd: ERROR: invalid syntax.
usage:  useradd [-u uid [-o] | -g group | -G group[[,group]...] |-d dir |
                -s shell | -c comment | -m [-k skel_dir] | -f inactive |
                -e expire | -A authorization [, authorization ...] |
                -P profile [, profile ...] | -R role [, role ...] |
                -K key=value | -p project [, project ...]] login
        useradd -D [-g group | -b base_dir | -f inactive | -e expire
                -A authorization [, authorization ...] |
                -P profile [, profile ...] | -R role [, role ...] |
                -K key=value ... -p project]

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

axolotl farmer posted:

something incredibly useful I learned in one of these threads is that bash can treat a redirected output stream as a file. works for commands that can't take a stream as input.

sort -u <(grep a_regexp myfile.csv)

This is great for diffing the output of two commands (like an ls)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

NZAmoeba posted:

welp I tried a test run with the above and a 3 line csv file without much luck. It just hangs with no output, what's a good way to find out where it's screwing up?

I take it I'm supposed to change the CSVFILE part into the filename of the csv I want it to run through right?

I'm guessing you give it the name of the CSV file as the first paramter, I think that's what 'read CSVFILE' does.

So run it like this:

$ script.sh /path/to/file

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

NZAmoeba posted:

I'm confused as to why useradd is throwing an error as that code is taken directly from our useradd wrapper which works fine, this is the wrapper code:

useradd.orig -g 500 -d /export/home/$1 -s /bin/bash -c "$fullname" -m $1 chmod -R 700 /export/home/$1

edit: man I'm dumb again, didn't realise that chmod was on a different line, not a space :downs:

so it's creating the users, but I'm still getting passwd throwing out that invalid option -- -

I think it's the --stdin part it doesn't like, how do I fix that?

Actually I'm not sure any of that passwd stuff will work, the password is asked for on multiple lines twice right?
root@server:# passwd testuser1
New Password:
Re-enter new Password:
passwd: password successfully changed for testuser1

It looks like solaris passwd is a pile of poo poo and won't work with what you're trying to do. Scroll to the bottom of this: http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1348695&page=7 and somebody wrote a script to change the password for a Solaris machine by directly changing the /etc/shadow file (where the passwords are actually kept). The only part that worries me looking at the script is this:
code:
 mv /tmp/shadow /etc
should be
code:
 mv /tmp/shadow /etc/
(notice the trailing slash). Would hate to have that script blow up your /etc directory.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

ToxicFrog posted:

^^^ Is there any implementation of mv that, if passed an existing directory as the destination without a trailing slash, will silently erase that directory?

We're talking about Solaris. There be dragons there.
So not sure if mv would do that or not, but I wouldn't be surprised on Solaris, and wouldn't want to risk it.

JHVH-1 posted:

I think stdin has to be piped so try something like this:
echo "$passwd" | passwd -f --stdin $userName

Also, doesn't the useradd command have a password setting flag to do it all in one line?

Again, Solaris. Throw out everything you know about a Unix system that makes any loving sense.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

NZAmoeba posted:

Well, SunOS, which is slightly different again

Not actually, it's all marketing Hocum. SunOS was BSD based for releases 1-4, for SunOS 5 they teamed up with AT&T to make a System V based Unix. SunOS4 was rebranded as Solaris 1 for marketing, and SunOS 5.0 became Solaris 2. SunOS 5.1 became Solaris 2.1, up to SunOS5.6 being Solaris 6, then at SunOS5.7 they made it Solaris 7, and the continues now with Solaris 10 being SunOS 5.10.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solaris_(operating_system)#Version_history

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm pretty sure Ubuntu does all that stuff for you when you install the packages.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Ashex posted:

I'm working on a project and have run out of Sata ports so I'm in need of a PCIe Sata expansion card.

Can someone suggest a card that will work with linux? I've been looking around and so far I've just found this one:

SYBA SY-PEX40008 PCI Express SATA II Controller Card.

That's about the price I was aiming for, but lack of reviews don't strike me with confidence. I don't need raid as I'm using LVM/mdadm.

I can speak from experience and say that this works:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124027
It's only 2 ports, and I guess a slightly different chipset than what you linked, so it's not really helpful at all. The chipset on yours is SIL3124, so look into that. Mine was SIL3132. I'd bet that since mine worked, yours would work too.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Keito posted:

Tried roxterm? With a little configuration it's become my favorite terminal, and has been working great in awesome on my end.

What the hell is roxterm? I saw it recommended somewhere else, installed it, said "Hey, this looks and acts exactly like gnome-terminal! I checked the website, and the author said it started out as a bloat free alternative to gnome-terminal, but over time it has become equally bloated, so what is the point?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Keito posted:

It's feature-rich, not bloated. There is a difference between those two terms.

http://roxterm.sourceforge.net/ posted:

ROXTerm is a terminal emulator intended to provide similar features to gnome-terminal, based on the same VTE library. It was originally designed to have a smaller footprint and quicker start-up time by not using the Gnome libraries and by using a separate applet to provide the configuration GUI, but thanks to all the features it's acquired over the years ROXTerm can probably now be accused of bloat. However, it is more configurable than gnome-terminal and aimed more at "power" users who make heavy use of terminals.

I've never hit a situation where I wanted to do something that gnome-terminal couldn't do, and I don't feel "weighted down" by gnome-terminal's bulk. I guess if I didn't use gnome roxterm would be good, not requiring gnome libraries.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Zom Aur posted:

Yep, both grub and grub2 supports this by default, but distro defaults may vary.

Not quite the same way that bootcamp does. With bootcamp you're holding down a key while the machine boots. With Grub you need to press a key at a certain time to activate the menu.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

rt4 posted:

Not if you have the menu set to show by default and automatically boot a certain selection after the timer expires, which is the default for many distros.

I'm talking about the comparison to bootcamp. The way bootcamp works is if you leave it the gently caress alone it boots something without asking you any questions. If you hold down a key while it boots, it brings you to the bootcamp menu where you choose what to boot into.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Zorak posted:

Ok, I am terrible at anything and everything involving Linux, just a fyi

Using Fedora, I'm having an annoying issue I can't figure out to solve involving passive FTP in the terminal.

Basically, to upgrade a research application, I have to use a c-shell script executed via the terminal that upgrades the application. But it... doesn't seem to be working, no matter what I do.

Without admin access, I get this:

===== passive=1 ============
Generating ftp transfer script
/usr/local/ssw/offline/swmaint/script/getins.ftp: Permission denied.

After su'ing up, I instantly get this

===== passive=1 ============
Generating ftp transfer script
Starting ftp transfer of installation package: ssw_install.tar.Z

Followed in a half second by

Passive mode off.
?Invalid command

I'd... think this means that it's running in the background, but that doesn't seem to be the case? I actually manually checked to see if there was any download activity going on ANYWHERE in the background, and I didn't see a thing.

Is there a way to get around this? Perhaps an alternative way to run this c-shell script :allears:

I'd guess that your c-shell script is generating a bad FTP file? See if you can figure out what it's doing (look at /usr/ssw/offline/swmaint/script/getins.ftp if it exists) and figure out what that's doing.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Zorak posted:

All that's in there is

open sohoftp.nascom.nasa.gov
user ftp name@place
passive on
epsv4 off
binary
cd /solarsoft/offline/swmaint/tar
get ssw_install.tar.Z
bye

The issue I suppose might be something to do with the current install of the application, but no idea.

Try and run that script yourself (maybe ftp <scriptname>, never seen an ftp script before) and see what that does, or the script manually (run ftp, paste in the first line, paste in the second, etc). I'm wondering if that ?Invalid Command comes from the FTP script or something else.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Harokey posted:

Basically this. Once you're really familiar with using it, you can do everything without ever touching a mouse. This allows you to navigate through and make changes to files in the time it would take to grab your mouse and navigate to the appropriate menu.

Of course it takes a while to get to this point, and graphical editors have a much lower learning curve.

Being a CJ I don't think I'd ever do enough with vi to justify the learning curve. I do my script writing in Geany. I'm good enough with vi to edit something on another machine. And if i want to do something funky, I just ask my coworkers, some of who are vi experts.

I do use vi search & replace a lot though, to edit /etc/apt/sources.list (hooray local mirror!).

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

LittleBob posted:

My small business has just purchased a server for uploading our rather large video files to. I chose a server with 2TB of space so that each surveyor could have 100GB or so each, but the Ubuntu install on it has the 2x 1TB in RAID. At least, I assume it has, since df -h says 913GB or so available on /.

The company I'm using doesn't seem to provide a way to unraid these drives through their install page, so is there a way I can do this after a fresh install through SSH or anything?

It's most likely hardware RAID, so you're not going to be able to do anything without going into the BIOS and then reinstalling.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I have perhaps an atypical but interesting use case. Often times for work I'm running various scripted jobs 24/7 and they have the tendency to occasionally fail for whatever reason. When they do I get an SMS.

My phone has a QWERTY(ish) keyboard and an SSH client. Since I do all my script editing with vim in a remote screen session, it's fairly trivial for me to pull up the session on my phone, hop in vim, and quickly search down to whatever needs to be fixed and plug it. The fact that I can do it from my phone is a huge convenience because it means I don't always need to be near a laptop/workstation, and it means my jobs can continue running without nodes being idle all the time. Few other editors would really let me do this because they would either require a mouse, or chorded keystrokes that are really difficult if not impossible to do on a phone keyboard.

Perhaps the right answer is to have a job where I don't have to carry the pager all the drat time. But I'm a PhD student and I have a huge incentive to see that the experiments I run complete in a timely manner.

Things like this are why I love vi and why I'm glad it exists. I just don't want to use it for all my coding needs (which are limited).

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ubuntu has builtin desktop sharing using VNC, called vinagre. That let's you share your existing desktop RDP style. There are others that create new desktops, like NX, or other versions of VNC.

There's no good RDP server for Unix that I'm aware of. The one that does exist basically just translates VNC stuff to RDP.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

ToxicFrog posted:

Er? It's not quite one-click because there's multiple packages to install, but they offer it in both deb and rpm format - just download from the site, install nxclient, nxnode, and nxserver, and you're done.

(disclaimer: I've only ever done this on Fedora and OpenSUSE, both of which are RPM based. For all I know the DEB packages will rape your dog.)

The deb package is a one click install. Download the deb, double click it, you're done.

(disclaimer: I've used the deb package on a couple of machines so I know)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Sepist posted:

Having an issue wth NIS, wondering if anyone can help. Our last unix admin left without telling anyone that our NIS configuration is a little wonky so since then we haven't been able to add anyone to it, we're tyring to fix this.

We have 1 master and slave both running freeBSD 2.6.18-128.4.1.el5

We've added the users the normal way explained in every documentation and did a make on the domain - if you ypcat the 2 new users they show up as being in passwd correctly and proper groups - however when we try to log in to any machine with their credentials we are getting access denied.

We've restarted ypbind on both machines and yppush from master, a ypwhich on the clients shows they're connecting to the slave. One minor thing I noticed - I don't know if this is normal, is that a ypwhich -m on the slave shows that the slave is binding to itself and all of the maps are on the master. I'm not sure if the binding is supposed to be towards the maste but I don't think this is a problem because ypcat is correct. We have plenty of users in passwd so I know it was working, they just didn't explain what they did. A history lookup doesn't show that we did anything differently.

One last note, the master/slave have been rebooted since the admin left (but not after adding newusers), and ypserv has been restarted, all of the proper services are running. I can't do anything as root right now but if you have any thing I can check without elevated provledges I can do so.

Can you use the 'getent passwd $user' command to return their proper entry? Are your new usernames in the same groups as existing users? What does your /etc/nsswitch.conf look like? Do either the passwd or group entries list 'compat' as the type? If that's the case, you'll need to look at your /etc/passwd or /etc/group file on the machine you're logging in to.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I get this straight from NoMachine:
http://www.nomachine.com/select-package.php?os=linux&id=1

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

ToxicFrog posted:

^^ That one. I've never tried freenx, precisely because of stories like yours. The official packages, however, have always worked fine.

I was referring to the fact that there's three seperate packages and the server needs all three installed, not the difficulty (or lack thereof) of installing each individual package.

What? No it doesn't. All I do is install that package, then I can use an nxclient to connect to the server.

Unless I'm really misunderstanding what you're saying here.

E: Nevermind, I do have all three packages installed on my server.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 30, 2010

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Sepist posted:

There is no /etc/nsswitch.conf on the FreeBSD client machine but on the Red Hat slave/master servers (I originally thought these were freeBSD also) I have this in nsswitch.conf:

passwd: files ldap
shadow: files ldap
group: files ldap

getent on the slave returns nothing, on the master it returns his info and doing an id $user on the client returns no such user (although a ypcat passwd will output the user)

We only have one group for all users with basic permissions, they are part of this group. Checking permissions against a working user in comparison of a non-working user yields th same result.

It really looks like the slave server is not updating with the master as the master is correct, but a yppush isn't doing poo poo.

Uh, are you sure you're using NIS? According to whats on your servers you're running LDAP.

You're right, your setup is hosed.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My one BSD machine I have at work (FreeBSD 8.0) has /etc/nsswitch.conf. Maybe try the BSD thread, you should be able to find some neckbeards there that might know better.
E: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2798970

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 30, 2010

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Gparted should be able to take care of most of this. Download a Gparted live CD, and have it copy and resize the old drive onto the new. After that you'll most likely need to manually edit the fstab like everybody else is saying, but you might not need to modify grub. You'll also still have to dd the mbr onto the new drive.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

MadlabsRobot posted:

Hmm, neither seems to work. This is what the [allusers] part of my .conf-file looks like;

code:
[allusers]
  comment = All Users
  path = /home/shares/allusers
  valid users = @users
  force group = users
  create mask = 0660
  directory mask = 0771
  writable = yes
  available = yes
  browsable = yes
  public = yes
  guest ok = yes
Does it look ok?

I believe you'll also need force user = your username here

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Waltzing Along posted:

ll *\.*a*

is the answer. I don't really understand what it means, though. Well, I sort of do, but there are so many * in there that I am a bit confused. In any case I finished the stupid assignment.

Thank you for your assistance.

It's a regular expression. It matches a string that has 0 or more occurrences of any charter, then a period (it is written as \. because the period is escaped, a period means something special in regex so escaping it, or putting that slash in front, tells the shell to just treat it as a character, and not apply its special meaning), then 0 or more occurrences of any character, than an a, then zero or more occurrences of any character.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

MadlabsRobot posted:

Ok, seems like I managed to solve it by doing

# chmod -R a+rw /home/shares/allusers

which, if I understand the man-page for chmod correctly, gives all users the right to read and write to the folder. Is this a terrible unsafe thing to do? I might like to make that folder accessible from the outside through ftp later on.

You should make the folder group readable and writable by the group that guest users get mapped to.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Our Linux machines authenticate against Kerberos. But I can't create local users without manually editing passwd, group, and shadow. If I use 'adduser' or 'passwd -r FILES' it just wants a kerberos principal.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Syslog is dumb.

Apparently ldap logs to local4, so I setup a log level in slapd.conf, and edit syslog.conf to log local4.* to /var/log/slapd.log. Restart everything, and the log file is empty. Wut?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Misogynist posted:

logger -p local4.notice "I am testing that my syslog works."

You did restart your syslogd in addition to OpenLDAP, right?

Yep, restarted both. It looks like syslog is the problem, because that test didn't output anything.
code:
local4.*                                        /var/log/slapd.log

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

JerikTelorian posted:

I've set out to build myself an Ubuntu server for hosting Mumble, Minecraft, and an SSH tunnel for me to remote desktop to my machine. Those three things I now have working decently well, and am trying to set up an FTP server to facilitate easy management of the Minecraft server as well as a good place for me to back up my thesis data.

I followed the Ubuntu server FTP guide but am having issues actually connecting to the thing. I've got a connection log from FileZilla here: http://pastebin.com/kwrmqKcY

It seems that it can connect but I cannot get the directory listing. I'm not sure what the problem is. I set a passive port range and forwarded those to the server, but I can't seem to actively (or passively) connect. I purged vsftpd so I could try again with a fresh config, we'll see how it goes. Any advice would be appreciated.

Did FTP and use SFTP or SCP, both of which are already provided by your SSH daemon.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Alowishus posted:

What syslog daemon? It could be buffering...

This is actually on a Solaris 10 machine. I just checked, still nothing in the log file...

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

JerikTelorian posted:

This worked great, thanks. One thing though: I had to create a new user for FTP since my admin account uses a password protected RSA key. Filezilla won't let you use passworded RSA keys, so I need one that is not secured.

How do I secure the new user account to give it a bare minimum of capabilities (just enough to read and write FTP, but no ability to execute or change things not explicitly owned to it)? Is this something I'd need to do or is Linux inherently secure enough to limit this risk? I tried disabling the shell for the ftp account, but then it simply fails to connect entirely.

When I said "Did FTP" I meant "Ditch FTP." Meaning don't use FTP at all.

For SCP and I believe SFTP also requires the user to have a valid shell. THe account that makes the connection will, by definition, need to be able to login and execute commands and whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

caiman posted:

Question for all you experts:

I currently have the 32 bit version of Ubuntu 10.4 installed on my computer (dual booted with Windows Vista). When I downloaded and installed Ubuntu I didn't give enough thought, and I got the 32 bit version even though I have an Intel Core2 Duo processor. Now I regret that and I want the 64 bit version.

So what do I need to do? is there a way within Ubuntu to do an upgrade, or do I need to completely reinstall? If that's the case, can someone briefly walk me through the process? I already have an Ubuntu 64 bit CD ready to go, I'm just a bit worried about proceeding until I get some expert advice. Will I have to uninstall Ubuntu 32 bit before reinstalling the 64 bit one? Thanks.

Unless you have more than 4GB of RAM it literally does not matter.

That being said, you can't upgrade to 64bit, you'd have to do a reinstall. It's not all that bad actually. You can back up your entire home dir to a tar file, then dump it into your new install and you'll be exactly where you were before, minus an programs you installed into the machine (sudo apt-get install your-butt)