Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
The only thing keeping me from completely switching to Linux (Ubuntu) is 3ds Max.

I take it that even with WINE this still isn't possible? I don't see any WINE test results for 3ds Max 9 on Feisty Fawn, but I'm guessing it's still 'garbage'.

I was looking into VMWare, but that apparently doesn't yet support 3D graphics cards

Is there ANY way to run 3ds Max (not Maya/Blender) in Linux?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

teapot posted:

Apparently, Autodesk is Broadcom of software -- nothing that it made runs on Linux. Nevertheless, you can try to check if it works with VMWare 3d acceleration support: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=84344

I would try that but...

Me on ubuntuforums.org posted:

Well I made a big mistake and closed the terminal before it was done installing, I thought I made a mistake so I figured I'd close it and retype ./vmware install.pl unfortunately when I do:

code:
A previous installation of VMware software has been detected.

The previous installation was made by the tar installer (version 3).

Keeping the tar3 installer database format.

Uninstalling the tar installation of VMware Server.

Unable to find the answer INITSCRIPTSDIR in the installer database 
(/etc/vmware/locations). You may want to re-install VMware Server.

Execution aborted.

Failure

Execution aborted.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

So I actually have Internet included where I live. I was given a Linksys WUSB54GSC nub to connect to the Internet. It works fine in Windows, which is where I'm currently posting from. However, I also dual boot in Ubuntu 7.10 and cant' for the life of me get it to work. I've tried looking at ubuntuforums.org and even making a thread, but it just gets pushed down pages from everyone else having wireless problems.

I tried this long ndiswrapper tutorial but when I run ndiswrapper -l it says invalid driver.

I'm thinking of reformatting/restructuring my ext/ntfs partitions, so if someone's advice is to start with a reinstallation of Ubuntu from scratch, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

teapot posted:

What is it with people and reinstalling the OS whenever they so anything wrong?
I've never done that, but I'd heard that suggested for other people in the threads on wireless I've seen.

teapot posted:

Why don't you just reinstall ndiswrapper, and this time give it the Windows driver for the USB wireless adapter like the countless howtos tell you to do?

I did, I tried drivers supplied in some howtos, drivers from Linksys' site, and drivers from the CD that came with the adapter

teapot posted:

Or get a supported wireless adapter?

Because like I said, I didn't buy this adapter in the first place, and I'd like to see if I can get this one to work before buying another one.

teapot posted:

Or post, what hardware do you actually have?
I'm terribly sorry I'm not omniscient in Linux and realized that all of my hardware needed to be listed.

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Mobo
AMD Athlon 64+ 3200
1GB RAM
2 IDE HDs, 160GB Maxtor, 160 Seagate

teapot posted:

Seriously, what the hell? I understand that "How to install a driver for Linksys WUSB54GSC wireless adapter?" it's a legitimate question, however the way you have expressed it sounds more like "I have installed Ubuntu, and it doesn't automatically detect a piece of hardware, even though I didn't even give it a driver disk -- this Linux thing is not working out for me, I want to post how much it sucks, and how I am going to not use it anymore!!!!111ONE!".

Did you really expect Ubuntu forums to copy the answers into a separate thread to each and every person who did not bother searching for ndiswrapper installation instructions?

I don't know where all that aggression is coming from. I'm pretty sure I mentioned I did try some howtos, which, as you know would entail getting drivers. I also never went on some rant about how much Linux sucks or that I'm not going to use it anymore. If that were the case, I wouldn't bother asking for help to get the wireless to work.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I went to NIDSwapper's site and scrolled down to WUSB54GSC for instructions.
Followed the howto linked on that page
When that didnt' work, I tried this which is in the troubleshooting section of the second link

Currently /etc/nidswrapper/wusb54gsc contains:
rndismpk.sys usb8023k.sys wusb54gsc.inf

and
code:
merk@ubuntu-desktop:~$ sudo ndiswrapper -i WUSB54GSC.inf
[sudo] password for merk:
driver wusb54gsc is already installed
merk@ubuntu-desktop:~$ ndiswrapper -l
wusb54gsc : invalid driver!

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

teapot posted:

:words:

So I was finally able to try it all out. It worked, thank you! I just have a few questions

do you still want the output of dmesg?
what do you think caused it not to work in the first place?
will I need to do anything special when/if I upgrade ndiswrapper or the kernel?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

My current partitions:
code:
  Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *          63    65529134    32764536    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2        65529135   312560639   123515752+   f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5        65529198   312560639   123515721    7  HPFS/NTFS

/dev/sdb1              63   163846934    81923436    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sdb2       163846935   316191329    76172197+  83  Linux
/dev/sdb3       316191330   320159384     1984027+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
I'd like to just replace the Master (sda) with Ubuntu, having a seperate partition for Home. The Home partition I'd like to contain everything from my existing home as well as the contents of sda5 (or sdb1 they are the same files). I don't really care about sda1. In the end I also don't care about the Slave (sdb) Drive, since everything will be on the Master.

I'm guessing I could just pop in the install CD and format the Master Drive. However, what would happen to GRUB? Would it try and let me boot both drives? Would I be able to mount the slave drive to transfer /home on sdb2 and the files on sdb1? Can I even just copy /home from one to another or does Linux not work that way?

The Merkinman fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 17, 2008

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I'm running Ubuntu 8.04.1
What can I use to let my friends using AIM* view my webcam?

My webcam is some Logitech version, I think Communicate STX. The cam itself works fine in Linux as I can see myself when I run camorama.

Pidgin doesn't (and probably never will) have webcam support
I've tried Kopete, and while it finds my cam I can't find a way to start a view, and recieving doesn't work either
I've tried Windows XP in Virtualbox, but I can't get it to detect my cam.
The Linux native AIM is a pitiful version 1.5
I tried AIM in WINE (1.1.6) and that wouldn't run at all.

*telling me to tell them to download use some other program like Skype is not an option.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Ever since I installed the minor updates after 8.10 my wireless mouse is jumpy. It keeps getting reset to just left of center, and as I type this I can see it twitching there all by itself.

Things I've tried:
Restarting the computer
Changing the batteries
Using a wired mouse (taking the batteries out of the wireless)
Using a different USB port with the wired mouse.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I'm trying to get my webcam to work in Skype under Ubuntu 8.10
The webcam is a Logitech I think communicate STX
It works in aMSN, and Cheese, but not Camorama nor of course, Skype.

If I try to test it in skype it looks like static but greenish.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

jegHegy posted:

My lovely Genius camera does that (except I haven't tried Camorama). It would display green noisy garbage when I test it but it actually works during a conversation. Maybe the test thing is trying to request a resolution that's too low or something. Try it!

After more seaching I found this and tried
code:
$ sudo gedit /usr/local/bin/skype

and paste the following 2 lines:

#!/bin/bash
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skype

$ sudo chmod a+x /usr/local/bin/skype

Which worked, but now it seems I can't see the other person. It just shows the same color as the window.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Is there any audio player for Linux that has the album art view of Windows Media Player?
For those unfamiliar with what I'm describing, here is a picture.
http://www.microsoft.com/library/media/15369/hk/windows/images/windows-vista/discover/Web_MediaPlayer_album02.jpg

Not shown in the picture: If you group by artist, and there are multiple albums by the same artist it also stacks album art in a fan like orientation.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

juggalol posted:

I don't know about the stacking view, but Amarok supports album artwork and allows you browse through album cover photos to pick what you want to listen to.

Is this in Amarok 2? I tried 1.4 (Ubuntu 8.10) and I don't see that option anywhere.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

juggalol posted:

For me, it's in Tools -> Cover Manager. Brings up a window with all of your album art, scroll through, double click for the one you want to listen to.

Oh I see, it's sort of hidden. Is there some way to get that view in the main window instead of its own?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

cannibustacap posted:

Just got the following error when using Ubuntu 64bit...

More familiar with VirtualBox myself, but, how did you go about making the Ubuntu machine? Unless you downloaded a premade virtual machine, you have to download and then mount the .iso and install the operating system.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

cannibustacap posted:

So now my goal is to install the nVidia drivers for linux becuaes my only options for screen resolution is 800x600 :(

Anyway, for some reason I have "no privledges" to put the nvidia install file in the "/" (root) directory.

I also am not allowed to log in as "root" through the normal log in screen.

There has to be some getting started guide to linux. It seems like you need a degree in IT to get anything done :(

So my question is: How do I give my self full permissions? I am using a viritual machine and I do not care about security or any of that, I just want to be able to use the thing.

If you're using VirtualBox you have to install the virtualbox addons

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

This is more of a general hardware question, but Ubuntu 9.04 is my main OS.

My Kingston Traveler 16GB drives keeps randomly unmounting. Now it doesn't seem to mount at all and lsusb says it's a CompUSA 128 Pen Drive.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

A family member has an infected computer running Windows XP. I need to back up her pictures and then flatten it to install Windows 7 or Ubuntu 9.04. If I have my choice, it will be Ubuntu for the very reason that she always gets viruses.

Anywho, I'm worried about plugging my external USB drive to her computer and get that infected as well. I read somewhere that I can pop in a Ubuntu 9.04 CD, run a LIVE session and backup the files that way. Will I be able to access pictures that are on a windows partition and move them to an external usb drive if I'm running a LIVE session?

Simply put, yes, as I've done this.

Also I managed to reformat my 16GB drive on a work computer.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Xinlum posted:

I'm finding my way around Xubuntu and I'm loving it. If my games ran I'd switch my main desktop in a heartbeat.

You know of WINE correct?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Back in June my brother purchased a Vostro A90 with "Dellbuntu" 8.04 installed. For Christmas he got an external DVD drive.

He can play mp3 files fine (via the included Fluendo codecs)
He can rip CDs to ogg fine
However He cannot rip to mp3, as that option is grayed out in such applications as Rhythmbox.

Calls to Dell Support have sent him in circles with transfers.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I know about all how Canonical can't legally include them and ubuntu-restricted-extras, but shouldn't that have been included in the Fluendo Codecs?

If I tell him to install ubuntu-restricted-extras will that conflict with the Fluendo Codecs?

Basically I know on a normal stock install I'd do ubuntu-restricted-extras. I'm just wondering that since he purchased it from Dell with the Fluendo Codecs:
  • Shouldn't ripping to mp3 be included as well?
  • would the meta package conflict with the existing Fluendo package(s)

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I asked in the Ubuntu 10.04 thread, but maybe someone here would have an answer:

So as a gift I got the Lexmark x2670, but I have been unable to install it in 64bit Ubuntu 10.04.

I went to download the drivers from the website, but I see they are 32bit only. I figure I'll try them, so I had to run the .sh file in a terminal since it wanted root access. The terminal reads:

quote:

/usr/lib/gio/modules/libgvfsdbus.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgvfsdbus.so
Then the installer comes up anyway. I hit next a few times, then it just says installation failed, it does not specify why and the window cannot be resized or copied so I can't see the readout of how far it got.

I try to do it manually with CUPS, but I do not see the specific make/model listed that the instructions mention (2600 series).

I tried simply through System > Administrations > Printing > add printer, but again the same problem of it not listed.

The instructions mention a PDD file, but that is nowhere to be found and Google only results in threads in forums of someone else looking for the same thing.

I tried forcing the installation using this, now it shows up but documents just stay in the queue as processing.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Tsarbomb posted:

Since you are using 64 bit linux it won't have the 32 bit version of glibc installed by default. That is what usually causes that error. I know in Fedora the package is called glibc.i686 for the 32 bit version and is probably similar in Ubuntu.

Don't see that package in Ubuntu's repositories

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Keito posted:

You should try harder.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/libc6-i386

Thank you

I'm terribly sorry I was told to look for "glibc.i686" and should have downloaded "libc6-i386". Which, as it turns out, I already have.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Tsarbomb posted:

Sorry about not being more specific, like I said I was only familiar with the fedora/redhat package name. Anyways the c lib thing was a shot in the dark. That script that brings up the installer is referencing some libraries and expecting them to be 32 bit.

Also, your environment variables are probably all set up to look for the 64 bit versions of everything. You might already have the correct 32 bit libraries installed and the fix could be as simple as adding their paths to the correct environment variables. You can also try checking which binaries that script needs by inspecting it in gedit/vi/emacs.

The dig was for Keito, not you.

What file do I open in gedit?
I tried opening in gedit the lexmark-inkjet-08-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh that I downloaded, but running that in gedit gives me an error "Please check that you are not trying to open a binary file.
Select a different character encoding from the menu and try again." (tried Automatic, Western, and UTF and they all gave that error)

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

:siren: Ubuntu 18.04 to ship with GNOME, not Unity

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

YouTuber posted:

Hopefully the community takes over Unity 7 development and makes it distro agnostic. I prefer the Unity environment much more than the Gnome environment. Most of the other environment are just spins off the classic taskbar look.

How many projects has Ubuntu scrapped in the past 5 years? Ubuntu One, Mir, Unity, Ubuntu for TV, and Ubuntu Phone. Though some of those projects are sub projects of each other.
There was also Upstart. Who knows what'll happen with Snap?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I have a problem with the unholy trifecta of Linux, Bluetooth and Audio.
I got a Bluetooth adapter, as my old computer running Ubuntu 19.10 didn't have one, as well as these headphones. While the headphones do claim to connect, and they are selected in settings, no sound comes from them. Well some occasional static does, but not the audio that should be coming from them.

EDIT wtf, I switched it to (a2dp sink), walked away to do something else while wearing the headphones, they eneded up disconnecting due to distance, and the when I walked back they reconnected and worked??

They do cut in and out a little so maybe some interference.

The Merkinman fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 4, 2020

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I've noticed a bug, but I don't know if the problem is Firefox, Slack, Ubuntu or what....

I have Firefox as my default browser on Ubuntu 20.04. When I open a link in the Linux native version of Slack, it opens up in Firefox... but...the launcher on the side treats it as another open window of Slack. Also, if I then use said launcher to open Firefox, it acts as though another window in Slack is being opened.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

My custom built computer is going to need to use wifi soon instead of the ethernet it currently is using. Any recommendations? USB? Card? It's an over 10 year old ASUS m4a78 pro motherboard.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I'm running Ubuntu 20.10, I thought I had posted that, but must have been an earlier draft.
The kernel is 5.8.0-41-generic. I do have some PCIe slot(s) open as it looks like the only one being used is the blue(?) PCIe 2.0 x16(?) one for my video card.

Maybe not necessary for this use case, but is it time I look into upgrading/replacing my tower?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Running Ubuntu 22.04, I've had the same computer for probably a decade now. Lately it's been saying my Filesystem Root is low on space. I do have /home on a different partition. Any way to clean up the filesystem? Maybe removing stuff I don't need after so many upgrades?

I know I could probably just fresh install Ubuntu 22.04, but I'd rather not go that route if it can be avoided.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I noticed I had a lot in Snaps. I don't want to get into if they are good or bad or I should use Flatpak instead of whatever.

I do see 5 different GNOME in there though:
GNOME 3.26 runtime
GNOME 3.28 runtime
gnome-3-34-1804
gnome-3-38-2004
gnome-42-2204

Do I need any of them? Just the last one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I have hardware compatibility question:
So I used to use a custom built desktop, with parts over a decade old. The motherboard is an ASUS M4A78 Pro.
Because of the Pandemic I got a webcam: Logitech, Inc. C920 HD Pro Webcam.
It worked fine with my desktop and its ancient motherboard, but I don't recall if I had to do anything other than plug it in.
As the desktop is quite old, I got a Dell XPS 9310 (2020? 2021?), which has since been upgraded to Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS.
Unfortunately the webcam doesn't seem to work properly on the laptop. At first I thought it was the ThinkPad Dock I was using, but even plugging the webcam into the laptop directly, albeit with a USB-A -> USB-C converter, it has the same issue. I see video through software in something like Cheese, but the preview appears as though it takes like the first second and loops it. If I record video it just comes out as a still image.