Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Alfajor posted:

Why is Gparted not letting me resize my NTFS partition? I have about 10Gbs of unallocated space that I need in the Windows partition... I thought it'd be easy to do this, but not so much when I can't click on "resize" :v: What am I missing here?

Last I checked Gparted wasn't able to write to NTFS partitions, just read them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Stevor posted:

I'm trying to get the intel chipset drivers working on my laptop and I'm following the guide at intellinuxgraphics.org. I'm having trouble understanding how to install agpgart. Apparently I have to patch the kernel. I've downloaded the latest source for the linux kernel and I plan to recompile and reinstall agpgart and the new kernel source to have agpgart and the 2.6.something kernel. I have the source for the patch, but I can't copy it into /usr/src. It comes as a bzip, but I I'm denied permission to copy it into that folder. I know this has something to do with admin privlidges but I can't get it working right...

First off, which distro are you using? I'd be surprised if any up-to-date distro didn't include this module by default, or at least in an easily accessible package.

Regardless, you can only write to /usr/src as root, and as you're building a kernel I assume that you do have root priveleges. Either way, it's not necessary to put the kernel source in /usr/src, just customary. You can build straight out of your home directory if you'd like.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Pididdle27 posted:

Another quick question:

Still Trying to install Debian, I am trying to unmount something and I get this weird error. It looks something like this:
code:
debian:/mnt# umount new_boot
error writing /etc/mtab.tmp: Not enough disk space
Thanks again

Try this:

code:
$ df -h
What's your local disk space look like for /?

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Pididdle27 posted:

100% is used! How do I correct that without loving things up?

Edit: There are other directories that are only like 7% if that helps. And I have 2 drives hooked up to it.

Delete stuff. You're out of harddrive space, so however you decide to fix that is up to you really. If your /home is mounted on the same partition as / then go ahead and remove some stuff from there for starters.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Stevor posted:

Simple answer to a stupid question... thank you. I really have got alot to learn. I'm using Ubuntu by the way. Does that include agpgart?

It should. Just do a
code:
modprobe agpgart
as root. Though what I would suggest is you add the correct driver you're looking for your your Xorg.conf, then reboot. That should load up agpgart automatically if it isn't already (type lsmod and see if it's listed there).

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Twinxor posted:

Incidentally, it's included with Ubuntu's kernel, like most other widely-used modules.

Aye, and given Ubuntu's hardware detection I'd be surprised if it wasn't loaded already. Can't hurt to try manually though.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

derdewey posted:

I've been running ubuntu for 2 years now and I'd like to know why it always feels faster when I go back to windows. Minimizing, unminimizing, moving windows, switching tabs in firefox, all 'feels' better in windows. It always feels like there's some kind of lag.

Is this because of X? The nvidia binary drivers? Gnome?

My computer parts:
AMD Athlon64, S939 3200+
Fast (ricer) overpriced memory, 1 gig
MSI k8n Neo2 platinum mobo (neforce3, I think)
nVidia 6600GT AGP, 128mb

I love linux, I'm attached to my terminal, gnu utilities, and all the great tools built in to gnome, but I really like the responsiveness of windows. Any tips?

You're not alone here, I've always felt the same way. I guess it's the consistency of Ubuntu (Linux) being slightly lagged as compared to Windows getting laggier over time that makes it easier to keep running. If you were using something like Slackware or Gentoo where you had more control over your libraries I'd say maybe you have something you could improve on, but in my experience, you're stuck in the same spot I am.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

derdewey posted:

I don't like that answer :argh:

I am very happy with ubuntu on the terminal side of things, the scriptability, ease of use with remote servers, and default toolset are far beyond what I could imagine on windows. But still, it'd be nice to have a responsive gnome desktop.

AIGLX does make things faster (must faster, even) but I don't like the way it changes the windowing behavior. I've tried just turning off all the effects but it's still flakey (title bar acting screwey when maximized, etc).

Yeah I don't like my answer much either ;)

One thing you could try is rolling your own kernel. Customize it a bit, and see if you can configure it to be a bit more snappy. I used to do this regularly, but I found it just gets tedious. A good friend of mine is a total kernel guru, I'll try and get a hold of him today after work and see if he has any tips on making the desktop feel more "snappy."

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

mo- posted:

Are there any gnome apps simillar to Network-Manger? I cant get it to compile. I really need to get this working and running out of options.

What's the compile error? What distro are you running?

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Toiletbrush posted:

Is it possible to selectively change/remove window borders in X11?

Basically, I'd like everything as it's supposed to be, except on the terminal window, where I want thin or no borders apart from the title bar.

I don't believe so. Though (it's been a while since I've used it) I believe that Konsole has a feature to turn off borders entirely. If you're gung-ho and you use a pure WM like Fluxbox or Openbox, they typically have an option to turn off the WM for a specific window as well, but that's as close as I can think of to what you're asking.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Twinxor posted:

Indeed. I use Konsole under GNOME, and I'm unhappy that it seems to launch a bunch of KDE crap that's not getting used by any other program.

Definitely. I typically refuse to install a KDE app unless it's absolutely necessary. I'm 99.9% positive that GNOME Terminal doesn't have this feature, unfortunately.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

radarwolf posted:

My distro is ArchLinux. It works perfectly on my hardware, and it is the fastest one I've used. It installed in about 10 minutes, and after that all I had to do was pacman -Syu and pacman -Sy nvidia ndiswrapper fluxbox slim rox ntfs-3g, edit my rc.conf, wpa_supplicant and xorg, and I have a fully working system in under 45 minutes. I like Fluxbox because of its simplicity and speed, and the fact that it can be used in conjunction with Xcompmgr to provide true transparency, fade in/out, and menu themability.

Arch is a great distro. Back when I used the dirtier distros, that was my ultimate pick. My college roommate and I actually set up a local repository right in our apartment. It made those occasional 400mb updates way faster.

radarwolf posted:

Why use Windows ever again?

Not going there ;)

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Twlight posted:

Is there a way to show in Fedora 5 what directories are taking up what space on the hard drive? I've got a syslog server thats at 100% Use, even after clearning up some of the older logs.

Try using the "du" command. It's similar to df in usage.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

dfn_doe posted:

I'm still confused about this. Rebooting, compiling, all the rest of the gentoo-isms don't do anything that would be broken inside a VM.. did you perhaps have the wrong target arch selected or something?

I tried a stage one Gentoo install way back when as well and I had the same results. Something about it just didn't stick with VMware.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

DeathChill posted:

I was just curious if it's just me or are Linux developers much more expensive? I'm trying to get a Linux project started and it's simply an application set that actually utilizes existing open source Linux projects. I tried the exact same project for Windows and got quotes around $450; the Linux version had quotes of $6500+ for the EXACT same thing.

A guy from my local LUG was recently complaining about this same issue on our mailing list. Good Linux developers seem to be few, and given that if you're a Linux developer you're a hot commodity to the right customer you can tend to overcharge.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Twinxor posted:

Emacs 22 is finally released - the first major release in six years. The most notable feature is Gtk+ support, and there's a lot of nice features (more Unicode support, decent fonts under X, the god damned mouse wheel works) - see this overview. I got it to build from source fine, and there's a a Debian repository here that seems to work fine for Ubuntu as well.

I've been using the unstable version of this for some time to get the font anti-aliasing. It looks great and really cleans up the interface.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Twinxor posted:

Unfortunately, I think that branch is going to be Emacs 23, and the anti-aliasing isn't in 22. I spent a while trying to build that, and couldn't get the Xft support to work, but I found a good unstable snapshot here.

You just shattered all my hopes and dreams. But on the other hand, Xft still seems to crash Emacs for me with some regularity. Loading up my C# mode almost guaruntees a crash.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Chuu posted:

I am trying to get a directx app working in a VM. It uses a ton of features not supported by VMWare's DX compatibility so that's a no go.

I am wondering if the way wine works -- it is theoretically possible to run it under Wine and whatever DX compatibility methods Wine use will allow it to render. I know the FPS will probably be well under 1, but just getting it to render is the goal.

If so, can someone suggest the absolute smalled distro that would be suitable for this? Preferably something debain based (I love apt-get) with almost nothing besides X and a lightweight WM installed.

You could just do a barebones Ubuntu server installation without any actual server software (it lets you choose during install) and install the WM setup you need.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Chuu posted:

Thanks for the advice, downloading ubuntu server now to test this out. Can you recommend the best lightweight WM? I actuality really liked twm from my Solaris days but I don't see it supported by Ubuntu.

TWM is nice and hardcore if you're going for super lightweight. If you're a bit more lenient and can deal with more than two colors on your desktop try: Window Maker, IceWM, Fluxbox, or Openbox. Really though, if you're looking for the bare minimum twm is in Ubuntu and that'll suit you just fine.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Edit: Nevermind that.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Cucumbers posted:

Is there any way to download an .iso (preferably the new openSuSE) and install it through Windows?
Instlinux isn't an option, because I can't use my Wireless USB through the installer.

Ubuntu's current alpha (Hardy) has a method of doing this but it won't be in stable condition until the end of April I believe.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ashex posted:

Can someone verify real quick the proper way to chroot into a system?
Is it such:

mount -t proc proc /chroot/proc
mount --bind /dev /chroot/dev
chroot /chroot /bin/bash

You're doing it all fancy like, I do it this way:
code:
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/chroot
chroot /mnt/chroot /bin/bash
You might be doing the same thing your way, but that's how I do it.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
While we're on the topic of iPods and Linux, let me throw out there that Floola is an awesome iPod management app for Windows/Mac/Linux that runs straight off the iPod. No need for any synchronization or whatever. :eng101:

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

parasyte posted:

So last I checked, syncing Windows Mobile phones is kind of a major pain in the goddamn rear end in Linux. I *was* using Outlook 2007 I got with a free license of Office, but I'm switching over to Linux almost entirely and this is one of the few things that hasn't been a seamless transition.

What's the state of syncing Windows Mobile stuff, particularly WinMo 6.1? And will I still have to boot Vista to run ROM updates?

Last time I tried syncing Windows Mobile to Linux it was through a program called SynCE which can interface with Evolution via something called Multisync. It was lackluster at best, but did the job. Mind you, this was Windows Mobile 2003. Since I've been running Windows Mobile 5 I haven't tried, much less Windows Mobile 6.1.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

This is kind of on topic. 2.6.25 kernel released today.

I got into Linux about 6 years ago. I guess a year or two in I started rolling my own kernels almost daily on Gentoo and patching it with whatever super cool new patch was out. Man I'm glad I'm not doing that anymore :)

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

tehk posted:

Banshee 1.0, it is in alpha but is already amazing and stable. It is designed to work fast with large music collections(unlike the earlier version). Other then that amarok.

Edit: The best thing about banshee 1.0 is filters. I have a 30k+ song library and I can easily filter songs in seconds. Banshee1.0 also starts fast, atleast compared to amarok, rhythmbox, and old Banshee.

There is a PPA for ubuntu, 1click install for suse, etc..
http://banshee-project.org/Releases/0.98.3 <-0.98 = 1.0 alpha
http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2008/03/13/banshee-1-0-alpha-1-released

I've been using this for some time, it really is fantastic. It's still not as fast as Rhythmbox, but Rhythmbox almost looks archaic anymore even with it's recent UI modifications.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Slow is Fast posted:

That sounds like what I want to do. I'm just not sure how to do it. Which directory is the apache directory and how would I hit the html page from a networked computer?

This tends to change from distro to distro. Try reading through /etc/apache/httpd.conf and seeing if you can make sense of where it might be.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Coupon Wizard posted:

Can you just run "rm -rf /"?

I believe this may be the only legitimate use of this response I have ever seen.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Kaluza-Klein posted:

:words: gentoo :words:

I used to use Gentoo as well for the same reason. The forums are really great, as are the wiki articles. Ubuntu is my desktop of choice anymore just because it's so easy and I don't have the patience for stuff like Arch or Gentoo anymore. Back in my early college days I would literally recompile my kernel almost daily, using a variety of patchsets and squeezing that last ounce of performance out of the thing. You're not missing much on the Ubuntu forums unfortunately. Along with Ubuntu's popularity comes a lot of dumb users. It's basically GameFAQ's for Linux these days.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So given my lovely knowledge of the detailed inner workings on file containers I figure I'll explain my predicament and maybe some of you guys can shine some light on this for me.

I used Handbrake to rip nearly my entire DVD collection down to H.264 encoded mp4's so that I could stream them easily to my Xbox and use that as a media center. All is well and then I decide running Zune network share on my PC is way too much work, so I push those movie files off onto my Ubuntu server. I got TwonkyVision installed and running last night and the only H.264 vid it ran was the one I accidentally ripped to an mkv container. So I poked around a little, and found that simply changing the extension of the mp4's to mkv will fix the problem. This worked for about 50% of the files. The others don't seem to be in a format that the Xbox can read (they all streamed fine as mp4's).

So my first question is: would finding an app to convert mp4 to mkv do the trick here? And also: is there a Linux based app that would do that? (a batch operation would be tits)

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

kujeger posted:

Does anybody know of a program that will seamlessly magnify another program's window?

I have an older game I want to play that only runs at 640x480, which when windowed on my 1920x1200 monitor is very small but it's also blurred to hell if I try to run it fullscreen. I want something that can simply double each pixel and let me play it as before.

I've tried using xzoom, but that needs to sit seperately from the game, and it can't overlap it either (or it will zoom itself).

I'm not sure this is exactly what you're looking for, but would the compiz zoom plugin do the trick?

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Last I tried Arch Linux it was pretty minimal and had a really fast package manager. Pretty slick distro. Also, an Ubuntu server installation would be super minimal but I believe adding the desktop to that would bring back all the bloat you're trying to avoid anyways.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is there any way to have GDM log straight into a Windows domain? I'd like to move my work machine over to Ubuntu, but for PCI compliance I need to be logged into the domain at all times. I know that Samba can register onto a domain, but I'm needing the entire login process to go through Samba as well.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

chizad posted:

If you're using Ubuntu (or another distro that has packages for it), you can install likewise-open and use that to join your machine to the domain. It handles all the behind the scenes stuff chryst was talking about, plus UID/GID mappings and all that other fun stuff. In my limited testing, it really didn't work any differently from logging on to a Windows box.

This would be ideal. Thanks for the pointer!

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

GregNorc posted:

Is there a way to force Fedora to install the latest kernel?

yum update kernel just got me 2.6.27 and I need the wifi features added in 2.6.29 for a project.

I haven't used Fedora in a while (years) but I'd assume that the only updated kernel you'll be getting for your Fedora version is whatever kernel it shipped with. Typically if you want to get a different kernel on your distro you'll want to either compile yourself, or find somebody who provides an RPM package.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What's the consensus on Gentoo these days? It looks like the main installer hasn't been updated since early 2008, and I know the main guy left some time ago. Is it's still a decent distro? I used to love it years ago. The only reason I stopped using it is because I would always emerge something that was hardmasked because I'm totally impatient and want updated packages asap.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

LiquidRain posted:

You can pretty much get all of that in Ubuntu these days without the compile times. Most popular packages (kernel, X drivers for Intel, Firefox, or in-development apps like Chrome) all have package repositories you can add to Ubuntu's package manager and then just download the latest version/latest nightly and install it.

I know I've had plenty of package updates on my Gentoo server for what I have installed, but I don't pay too much attention (plus it's got no desktop apps) so I can't really say how thorough a job the package maintainers are doing.

Yeah, I've been using Ubuntu since 4.10 which is right around when I phased away from Gentoo. I've just had the craving for a more hands-on distro lately.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Lucien posted:

Arch linux is a very hands-on binary distro with a decent package management.

Arch was my other favorite from way back when. Pacman is definitely the fastest package manager I've used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

juggalol posted:

I have very little experience with yum/rpm, but I'm a big fan of apt. Portage is the reason I eventually ditched Gentoo in favor of Ubuntu - it just didn't make sense to keep using a package manager that required me to spend so much goddamn time compiling code and fixing broken dependencies. I mean, isn't that the whole point of a package manager? To avoid having to do that poo poo?

The idea behind Portage is great - you're able to specify system-wide options for software builds & installs. In my experience, the problem with Portage is that it gives you miles and miles of rope to hang yourself with. With the amount of customization and tweaking you can do with Portage, it's impossible to thoroughly test all of the software packages available - which guarantees that even 'stable' packages will be outdated and prone to build errors.

I dropped RPM's after the 5,000th time I would do something trivial, like uninstall Gaim, and have it try and take Apache or some other totally completely unrelated package with it. Granted, this was back in the Redhat 9 days. But either way, it discouraged me for a lifetime. Apt has been very good to me, and I'm a huge fan of "apt-get build-dep".