Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I am pretty sure I am already screwed, I found evidence my system (quad core 4GB RAM 500GB HDD) should not be working, but my pc is still booting. I installed Arch about three days ago, I have only one large btrfs partition and a swap partition, I used Syslinux bootloader. According to the arch wiki page for syslinux, this is a problem because syslinux looks for a hard coded sector with ldlinux.sys, and btrfs is free to move files around to different sectors if it so chooses. My google fu is not showing up any mention of this problem anywhere else, but that could simply mean I am the only person dumb enough to attempt btrfs + syslinux. I am sure someone is bound to ask, I chose to use btrfs and syslinux because I thought they were the "hot new trendy" things to do in Linux.

How screwed am I? This install has been updating, installing software and rebooting quite a bit the past few days and so far syslinux has not lost track of ldlinux.sys. Would it be a bad idea to downgrade my hole install to btrfs to ext4? I am still early enough in my install that it wont hurt too bad to start over from scratch if necessary.

On a related note, is it a bad idea to just use one partition instead of separate boot, root, home and whatever else? I simply cant see much advantage to slicing up my hard-drive into several chunks. I am really tempted to try using a swap file instead of a swap partition - is that a good/bad idea?

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Find whoever told you that syslinux is "hot new trendy" and beat them. It is an old and extremely basic bootloader, primarily useful for livesystems (liveUSB and like) or booting on systems with ancient BIOSes.

On any modern (read: made in the last decade) system you should be using GRUB unless you have a specific reason not to.

My reason for switching to syslinux was thinking it was newer, but also because I had a previous Arch install with grub, I installed a iogear 2 port usb/vga KVM (any recommendations on a good USB/DVI KVM for windows, Linux, and Mac?) and then my keyboard was no longer usable with grub. My keyboard with KVM lets me get into the BIOS but not grub, I could have looked into this issure farther but my I had also accidentally destroyed my Arch install (the system acted as if the root password was changed, would not let me login as myself or root).

spankmeister posted:

I like Arch well enough to keep using it, but the manually diffing and merging of
config files and the whole rc.conf deal does annoy me.

I am enough of a Arch noob to not know about this problem. Personally, I like the idea of rc scripts because my understanding is all the boot config should be in that one file making it easier to track down issues during booting. Speaking of which, my arch install is currently pausing for like 30 seconds when udev looks for device sr0, I have no idea what an sr0 is. But I am probably going to just start over from scratch with this install later today anyways so hopefully that little issue won't come back again.

I chose Arch Linux because I I want to learn Linux, I wanted a minimal install, and I really hate Gnome. It seems like most distros I looked at offer Gnome as their primary desktop manager, I simply cant force myself to use an older "out of date" 2.x gnome, and there is no chance at all of me learning gnome 3.0. Thats my somewhat stupid reason for liking Arch.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
What is the status of watching online TV on Linux? I no longer subscribe to Netflix and have never been able to find anything interesting on hulu, but I occasionally like to watch shows that I (or my DVR) missed from ABC, NBC and FOX online. Guess you could throw CBS online in there too but I never watch CBS so don't really care if I cant watch it on Linux. I cant think of a good reason why, but is there any specific distro that might perform better for watching TV online?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I don't see how unity is a good "tablet" OS. When I look at it, all I see is OS X but with a crappier dock on the side instead of on the bottom. Seriously, the Ubuntu devs have too much an Apple fetish and it shows. I like OS X, I don't like it enough to give up Windows or Linux, but I like it enough to choose OS X over Ubuntu. Ubuntu being a copy of OS X just seems more like a poor man's version of OS X for PCs.

I have only played with Ubuntu 12.04 in a virtual machine, and yes I had it set for full screen. However, I could not figure out basic poo poo like resizing windows, and the scroll bars are terrible.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Crush posted:

Whats is the purpose of a while read loop?

It reads lines repeatedly until it reaches the end of a file. So long as read line returns true (there is a non empty line), the while loop continues, and you get to process each line of the file individually.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

standardtoaster posted:

Other than learning how to use the terminal, is there a simple source that will explain what the gently caress I'm doing with Linux. Like what the file system is, how to install things, where to find them after I install, or how to extract and install a .trz file?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+use+tar

Use the manual. At a console type "man some-random-command" and it will bring up a page about how to use that command.

Or visit The Linux Documentation Project: http://tldp.org/
http://www.linuxnewbieguide.org/ also looks promising.

If you really want to learn, I would recommend setting up a virtual machine and installing Arch Linux, it forces you to do some of the config on your own and basically teaches you a bit about how to use a Linux operating system.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

To be fair they did add quite a bit of functionality that is useless to te average user, while changing things dramatically from the old GRUB.

Then again, I've never had a issue I wasn't able to fix with googling the GRUB2 docs.

"GRUB 2 is an operating system looking for a bootloader" - Some random forum which I can no longer find.

I tried to manually setup GRUB 2 with a GPT partitioned hard-drive, never again. I will wait until GRUB 2 has better GPT support, or just use Syslinux.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

The Geforce4MX is the mobile version. Both machines are laptops with no way to change out the graphics.

All I know is that xvesa in tinycore is fast enough. I can playback 720p 24-30fps without dropping frames provided the CPU can push out the pixels. Moving windows around is much much faster too. I kinda just wanted that kind of performance with a more rounded distro.

I know they are probably turd slow laptops not worth spending money on, but is there any chance to add like a PCMCIA GPU? I ask not because I actually think you should do this, but I am simply curious if you can do it.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

I really like how NASA still uses UNIX/Linux of some sort

You can see the 1990's style Xwindows and then you can see a more modern looking GIMP window in the background

That is pretty cool to know. I imagine most of the reason they are using UNIX/Linux is probably because of stability or the fact that most of their software is probably custom wrote for embedded hardware. I mean I am pretty sure it's a bad idea to run a satellite in outer space or a mars rover on Windows.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

deoju posted:

I hope this is the right place to ask this. I am a total noob to this sub-forum and to Linux.

I wanted to fool around with Linux for the hell of it and to see if I could teach myself something so I installed Ubuntu 12.04 on a usb drive to use with my old netbook and it is slow as molasses.

I am working with a Dell Mini 10 with the following...
992.1 MiB memory
intel atom cpu n270 @ 1.60GHz x 2
32-bit OS

Which should meet the minimum requirements, right? So what gives? I don't even know where to start.

Thanks for any help. :)

I have an Asus Eee PC currently running Win 7 Starter. It specs are: 1.6GHz Atom, Intel integrated graphics :lol:, upgraded to 2GB RAM, it is also slow as poo poo. I would highly recommend upgrading your RAM to 2GB, I assume your netbook most likely requires DDR2 like mine, I found my RAM on Craigslist for $10.

As soon as I get home from vacation (Monday) I fully intend to install Xubuntu on this thing, in my opinion Xubuntu has an appearance very similar to a Gnome 2 interface. I simply cant stand Unity or Gnome 3, and I am certain they require a lot of resources.

The only feature I am worried about loosing when switching to Xubuntu is two finger scrolling with my track pad. Does anyone know if this works in Xubuntu, on an Eee PC (1001P) with Firefox (and other apps to, but firefox is the big one)?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

KetTarma posted:

I have an installation problem.

I took on an old Compaq Presario 6430NX as a project computer that someone was throwing away. I mainly wanted to have a computer to play around in Linux with to help learn things I wouldn't do to my own computer. Here are the specs. Powerful, huh?

After replacing the optical drives, I set to installing Ubuntu 12.04LTS. That installation failed and I was dumped to the LiveCD screen. That installation failed due to an "unknown error." I tried this a few times with no different results.

I burnt a copy of Ubuntu Minimal 12.10 and installed that. After CLI/tasksel installing GNOME and everything I wanted, I tried to load GNOME. This led to a corrupted display screen. I could see my mouse and keystrokes doing -something- but I couldn't tell what. I could still get to the CLI. The LiveCD displays fine. My integrated graphics chip manufacturer says that they don't support Linux. Go figure.

I tried reinstalling GNOME, running updates, and then finally starting from GRUB and doing a safemode file fix. This hung up after an hour and now my harddrive won't mount. Googling around led to someone saying that I needed to reinstall my operating system.. so I tried that from the 12.04LTS CD which is giving me the same problems as before.

Right now I'm staring at the LiveCD after the installation has run its course with a spinning hourglass that's been there for 20 minutes.

Any thoughts?

So specs are an ancient Socket A Athlon (2.13GHz), 512MB DDR RAM, a Via "ProSavageDDR KM266" chipset, and S3 ProSavage8 video. The good news is (despite being practically non-existent today) VIA was a pretty popular chip maker back then. The bad is 512MB RAM (which apparently can be doubled for about $20, assuming the MB supports more RAM) and S3 graphics just plain suck, but your system does have an AGP port so you could try to find an older, better graphics card.

If I had that PC, I would first attempt to run either Xubuntu (looks almost identical to Gnome 2, I use it on my netbook!) or Lubuntu on it. If both of those still fail, hit up craigslist/ebay for an AGP video card, Nvidia prefered for Linux drivers but IMO ATI is acceptable too.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Would it be realisitc to install Chromium OS on my Eee PC? I think 1.6GHz Atom is about equal to a 1.5GHz Celeron, and I have 2GB DDR, so I think it's specs are kinda similar to a chrome book, although their screens are higher res. My biggest concern is Chromium just doesn't look user friendly, I mean the quick start guide talks about setting up and syncing a repository on your Ubuntu PC before installing, so I am pretty sure this is more a developer only OS. And apparently Chromium does not come with flash, which I think would be kinda necessary?

I want to play more with Chrome OS, but I am not quite ready to shell out $200 for a chrome book.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I want to make my XFCE look more like the OS I am familiar with, windows 7. I dont care enough to go off and install a windows theme, just want similar button placement. I arranged the panel and have something similar, but is there anything similar to a 7 style dock/application switcher? Also, what about a menu similar to 7?

**edit** I discoverd DockbarX, and apparently it should work with XFCE. I am running Xubuntu 12.10. I installed dockbarx, and when I choose it from the menu it will load vertically along the left side of my screen, but that is not where I want it. I can not figure out how to add this to my panel.

edit #2 - I think the problem I am having with DockbarX and XFCE might be related to running XFCE 4.10, I really don't know yet. I just know when searching for XFCE 4.10 and DockbarX google doesn't return much of anything, but it does return a bit for XFCE 4.8 + DockbarX. So, is it possible/realistic for me to downgrade to XFCE 4.8?

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 24, 2013

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Kire posted:

I want to pick up some magazines about Linux like I see at Barnes&Noble, (even the $19 ones), because I think it would expose me to a lot of bash scripting and cron stuff and so forth but be in the small chunk style of a magazine, not a huge book. Any recommendations for quarterlies or linux related magazines that cover a wide variety of topics?

The Linux Journal is the magazine I used to remember seeing, however they went all digital a year or two ago, comes in pdf, epub or mobi format. Also, if you subscribe, you can get access to the backlog of digital magazines from a few years back, I think it's well worth subscribing.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Another option I have used in the past (because all two dozen of my burners failed to work with Memorex dual-layer media) was to use a second hard drive. Plug it into a second PC, then use Universal USB Installer and check the show all drive letters option to select the hard drive. It might even be possible to do this with only one hard drive and some wizardry, but that I have never attempted to do so.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Too easy, most of the PCI wifi cards these days are half height and include low-profile brackets. I have a B/G Rosewill PCI card that works great, here is rosewill B/G/N for $15: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166060

Or $20 for one that does N 300 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166054

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

evol262 posted:

Bravo to Shuttleworth for not being a sore loser.

Now if only there were similar posts for Unity, Mir, Ubuntu Phone, Ubuntu TV, etc.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I too hate blurry unreadable UIs.

But I think that interface would be at home on a smartphone or tablet where there would not be enough space to display all the icons and menus.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Just curious, what happens with NTFS?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Love Stole the Day posted:

:goonsay: O great masters of Linux,

• Why have the majority of game companies over the years, except for Valve most recently, collectively not bothered themselves with adding linux support? Is it because of the low market share that Linux support gives not being worth the effort? Is it because adding linux support involves just too much effort and people can't be bothered anyway? Is it because linux games could somehow be more "hackable" or something?
Low market share, difficult to support, multiple options to support (just look at sound, you have ALSA, pulse audio, Jack, etc), and drivers are not always the best. AMD/ATI and and Nvidia don't always release very good video drivers for Linux. Only Netflix is playing the "hackable" card which is just their way of saying they are too loving lazy to try. Android runs the Linux and it is secure enough for Netflix so I find it hard to believe Linux is not secure enough for Netflix.

• Also, as a newbie to this whole Linux thing: on Windows and whatnot, there are a dime dozen malware protection, antivirus, registry cleaner, etc programs out there... but I've never heard of anything of the sort being for linux in all of the newbie guides that I've read. Have I just been blacking out when I get to those parts of the "welcome to linux!" guides or is this OS somehow more secure in general? (I'm aware of things like bsd and redhat being super secure by comparison, but nothing about the other distributions in general for comparison sake) [/quote]

There are significantly more AV and malware apps for Windows because there is a much larger user base. First, Windows is a better target for virus writers since you can effect more people and steal more credit cards, but also because everyone including the non tech savy people run Windows. Windows tends to have the dumb assess willing to click OK when IE pops up a window bouncing around screaming "YOUR WINDOWS CAN HAS INFECTION!!1 GIVE MONEY NOW!!".

Bobby Deluxe posted:

So is that the sort of thing Steam could solve? I mean, if instead of each game having to target each different distro for compatibility, they target Steam and then each distro works on making itself compatible with the steam libraries.

Kind of like how Direct X is supposed to work under windows. I thought OpenGL was already supposed to be doing this but then I haven't really paid attention for a looong time, and then only from the windows side of things.

OpenGL needs good video drivers. OpenGL also only handles video, DirectX handles video, audio, input, probably even networking and other poo poo too.

• Not Wolverine
    Jul 1, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

What I've been doing for the last year has finally come to fruition: https://endlessm.com/

It looks like a headcrab. You said your testing showed people didn't like square boxes, I assume you also tried other simple geometric shapes like a dome, disk, or Apple style trash can?

I think it is strange to have a VGA port, I think a DVI port would make more sense. I don't know what kind of adoption your target market has, but I think older LCD TVs have DVI ports and you can include a passive DVI-VGA adapter. If only DVI had audio, then you could have just one DVI port and an adapter for VGA and another for HDMI (which you could still do with a pig tailed adapter).

What are you using for the offline encyclopedia? Are there any plans to release just the OS?

Not Wolverine
    Jul 1, 2007
    Tha,ks for answering my questions, but how are you doing the encyclopedia? Also, why is the power button on the side with all of the ports? Seems to me it would make more sense to have the power/video and other permanent cables on the back and the power button and a single USB port in front similar to how all desktop PCs are designed.

I would love to see a few renders of other designs if they are interesting.

Not Wolverine
    Jul 1, 2007
    Can anyone what tell what version of Red Hat this video is likely to be using? I think it looks like Gnome 2 but I am a KDE fan so for all I know it could be Gnome 3 with a skin. If I want to follow this series of tutorials, should I look for an old version of Red Hat or use Centos or another distro?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG0mMOteVR8

Not Wolverine
    Jul 1, 2007

evol262 posted:

I would guess its Red Hat 7.2 (not RHEL 7.2, which isn't out yet). Maybe 8. You should follow a modern LPIC guide to start with

I know it's not a good tutorial by any means, it was just something related to a video I watched so I clicked it and it looked interesting.

Yeah I thought it was pre RHEL, but the video was published November 2014, so why would they use a version 10 years old? The only thing I can think of is that is a re-upload of an older video.

Not Wolverine
    Jul 1, 2007
    Well, if you google the water mark in the video, 'they' are cbtnuggets.com, an online IT video training service. :v:

Not Wolverine
    Jul 1, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

Oh weird, the problem fixed its self after rebooting the last time. I guess I just need to stay the hell away from Linux until I figure out what I'm doing? I imagine this happened because of something I did.

No, it means you need to stay away from computers. :v:

Honestly it is unlikely that Linux did anything to your video card, it's more likely that your power supply could be having issues providing enough power to the GPU or the GPU is on its way out. If you really want to tee this, find a spare PC worh of pars, or use a Linux live CD and cross your fingers.

Not Wolverine
    Jul 1, 2007

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Alternatively, is there any way to install Lubuntu directly from within Ubuntu without booting off external media first?

sudo apt-get install lubuntu-deskop

Not Wolverine
    Jul 1, 2007

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Finally got Lubuntu installed and Wine is failing to run an EXE on it that worked perfectly on Ubuntu. The program's installer runs all the way to the end and the tells me the installation failed.

I get that they're different distros so I might just be hosed, but maybe I'm just missing some dependencies or something?

Ubuntu and Lubuntu are really not different distros, just different desktops. It is true there will be a lot of different software choices but that is usually only things like a GTK based app instsad of a QT app. Under the hood, they should be the same. As proof, you can take your old Ubuntu install and install the "Lubuntu-desktop" package, which would install LXDE and a few other LXDE apps into a stock Unity based system. The end result would be you could choose to run Unity or LXDE whenever you want.

In other words, if the exe worked on Ubuntu it should work on Lubuntu as well. What is the exe and what is the error message?

Not Wolverine
    Jul 1, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

Kubuntu 15.04 is ugly as sin(it looks like win8)

And when I tried to reinstall 14.04 and restore my backup over it, it will not boot correctly. :cry:

I for one like the new Plasma 5 flat look, I miss KDE 4's look but I would hardly call it Windows 8 bad. Do you have the traditional desktop or KDE's small screen mode?

https://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/Netbooks

I have only witnessed KDE's small screen mode one time when I installed it on an Eee PC and it does highly resemble a Win8 desktop, but I'm pretty sure it can be disabled even on small screen devices.

Not Wolverine
    Jul 1, 2007

reading posted:

Did Netflix finally switch to HTML5? Because I still can't use it on Linux (Xubuntu).

Question: Is there a utility that scans your system for any files with permissions set to 777 and lists them so that one can do a security audit of one's system? In the past I played pretty fast and loose with sudo chmod 777 because I didn't understand chown or chmod +x and I'd like to go through and take a second look at any system files I left laying around with 777.

Just covering the basics, what browser are you using? It should work by default in Chrome, I suspect you might need to install additional packages to make it work in Chromium. I used to watch Netflix in Linux by using Firefox (with user agent string set to Windows) and a wine wrapper for silverlight, I think the package was called pipelight.

reading posted:

Thanks!

Different question: Why are folders 4.0kB (I think I'm using exFAT)? If a folder in the linux filetree is just a file that consists of links to all the files "in" it, then why doesn't the size change based on the number of files "in" it that it has to link to?

File system block size. Someone else can probably explain this better (like the reason for why it's done) but modern file systems don't try to address every last bit of a hard drive individually, they group them into blocks also known as chunks, clusters, pages, etc. I believe it provides better performance when using the file system but that is the part I don't know a lot about.

4KB is the default size for exFAT and I am a bit surprised you are using exFAT, unless the file system in question is a flash drive?

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 18, 2015

Not Wolverine
    Jul 1, 2007
    I am running Kubuntu 15.04 Plasma 5 on an HP DM1z, it identified the GPU as a Radeon HD 6310. The default driver is xorg but I want to know if I should switch to the proprietary drivers. I noticed in Chromium I am getting some screen tearing when I scroll with the mousepad, but I don't notice it when scrolling with the keyboard, I assume the keyboard is either slower or smoother scrolling. I also noticed some screen tearing just when moving windows and other OS tasks. I noticed in Chromium's settings "use hardware acceleration where available" is checked but does that accelerate only video text websites too? I have no intention of playing 3D intense games on the DM1z, at most I might try to play Minecraft, I just want the best driver for Youtube, Netflix, and playing local video files.

Not Wolverine
    Jul 1, 2007

Odette posted:

Even their Ethernet offerings? I've been looking at motherboards & Realtek is the most common chip, it's a bit shocking.

I'm not afraid of Realtek Ethernet chips, I have never tried a Realtek wireless chip. They use a few more precious CPU cycles than an Intel LAN but they have worked fine for me. That said, I am afraid of anything D-Link.

Not Wolverine
    Jul 1, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

So, some hack to fix a bug stopped working when the bug was finally fixed. Maybe.

Arch_Linux.docx

Not Wolverine
    Jul 1, 2007
    I installed Kubuntu 17.04 in a VM (host Windows 10), everything ran pretty good until I installed the VBox guest additions. After installing the guest additions my system was essentially bricked, the launch panel disappeared. I would see it present for a second or two after rebooting, then it would just vanish. . . It was still running since I could click in the general area like the bottom left to open the launcher menu and the panel would flash into existence for a second before disappearing. I even tried to open a window but it also only flashed into existence for a second. I suppose it might have been possible to recover this somehow by like switching to a terminal but eh it was a fresh install on a VM so I just deleted it. But what the hell happened? I suspect this is most likely some sort of video driver issue, especially since it started after installing VBox guest additions. Is this going to be just limited to Kubuntu or should I be careful on Ubuntu and Xubuntu as well? Should I avoid the guest additions all together? Is it possible this was caused by enabling 3D acceleration in the VBox settings?

Not Wolverine
    Jul 1, 2007
    It's true my current os is Win10 but I am hoping to do a trial to see if I could switch over to Linux, in the past I have liked KDE and XFCE but I might just be tempted to try stock Ubuntu if Gnome 3 is any better than it used to be. I enabled 3D support since I assumed it would be safe, and a YouTube video said to enable 3D but not 2D. Overall, it looks like the 3D setting is probably not necessary. That said, I thought some distros actually made their VBox guest additions? Or maybe they just included guest additions in their repositories.

I don't rely on VM software, just want to use it to test operating systems, because it's not mission critical I would kinda prefer to stick with the open source Virtual Box solution instead of VMWare Player. One of my primary motivations for wanting to switch is to give the finger to MS and Win10's data tracking (and seriously, gently caress the Microsoft app store, and Paint 3D, and the ad loaded Solitaire Collection). I don't want this to be a whole "MS sux" debate post, I still like Win10, just not as much as older Windows versions and Linux is looking pretty good these days. And I can't remember the last time I played a PC game. :(

That said,, I will continue to fiddle with VirtualBox despite it's oddities because A) freedom!!! and 2) it's only a hobby/test environment.

Not Wolverine
    Jul 1, 2007

ewe2 posted:

you evil person :v:

I do an LFS every couple of years to keep up with the core system changes, a lot of it is tedious but there's some fun in seeing the pieces come together and for extra credit I make a VDI out of it and do the BLFS from that.

But its a big learning curve for anyone who isn't comfortable with the command-line yet, and kernel compilation isn't that big a deal on most distributions, I've been rolling my own on Debian for a while, drat things are getting so big these days.
    I have never done LFS but I have always wanted just so I can actually have a (sorta) educated opinion on things like GRUB vs LILO, Pulse audio, Upstart vs whatever the old method was called, etc. I know all of my examples are out of date, I don't Linux enough.

Not Wolverine
    Jul 1, 2007
    I agree with a lot of that in that LFS, Arch and Gentoo primarily only teach how to copy and paste archaic commands, that's the big reason I put "sorta educated" experience there. Ultimately, I feel it is still just slightly better than only being a user of Ubuntu. I have not switched to Linux because I don't understand enough about how to fix issues, if I am on Linux and say Netflix doesn't work, I am going to just ask Google and out in some cryptic commands hoping that it will fix the issue without really knowing the underlying g problem. If on Windows, I know Netflix is broken because my Flash or Silverlight (LOLz) is out of date and I know how to fix it. on Linux, if Netflix is broken I know that Google said package abcxyz.fu is out of date and oh by the way this was actually the instructions for Ubuntu 1.0 which you are totally not using. But at least one archaic and somewhat useless fact I learned with Arch is that WPAsupplicant is a file where the wifi key is stored, knowing the existence of that file and what it does makes Ubuntu spitting "WPAsupplicant file not found" actually sorta make sense and helps point me where to look for the answer.

To me, learning Linux by "just using it" means learning to put up with broken poo poo until some wizard on the internet posts the right fix, which is difficult to find to the point where it might as well not exist, or live with until the next update. Maybe using Linux for a complex task like a file or web server might teach me more about how to troubleshoot Linux, but only in the file or web server sense not so much the just get Netflix to work sense. *Disclaimer I don't actually care about Netflix on Linux, it probably works great, but a few years back, I seem to remember it being the common problem a lot of new users struggled to fix.

Not Wolverine
    Jul 1, 2007
    My primary experience has actually been looking on the Ubuntu forums and finding lots of posts like "guys it's broken" where the OP doesn't give enough details and the fixes are either dangerous, wrong or both, or no fix at all. . . But I might try reading Snack Overflow, if I try to use Linux again, if I ever get tired of Windows 10 giving all my sensitive private information porn viewing habits to Bill Gates.

Not Wolverine
    Jul 1, 2007

Shofixti posted:

Yes you're right. My setup is SSD 1 (Linux), SSD 2 (Windows), HDD (shared bulk storage). I poked around and this issue is only happening when I open a text file from the shared HDD or Windows SSD.

Is there some way to apply this to every .txt file on my shared HDD? I have many and this method seems a bit too labour intensive.

[Edit - sorry I now see that I can easily apply this to every .txt by searching for all .txt and mass selecting and then going to properties. However, I don't have ownership of the files. I looked up the chown command and figured I could do something like this to take ownership of the entire drive but it's not working. By not working I mean it executes without throwing an error but I still don't have ownership of anything on the drive.]

code:
     darmok@darmok-mint:~$ sudo chown -R darmok:darmok /media/darmok/Spinner 
    What file system are you using for the shared drive, and what version of windows? The easy answer is permissions are not compatible between Windows and Linux/Unix, hell even just the carriage return and line feed are not compatible (although I think the latest version of notepad finally addressed that). I can't say much more other then I would expect changing the permissions on a non-Linux drive to fail, especially if it is NTFS formatted or contains files made by Windows.

Tad Naff posted:

Eee 1018p, xubuntu 18.10 fresh install, wireless no workie. Atheros 9x. I was going to make it a print server or pihole or something. Tips or pointers?
    Do you know the model or chip on the wifi adapter, or can you run LSPCI and post what it spits out for a WiFi adapter? I for one would be kinda surprised if Linux can not support your wifi adapter. I assume you have already tried checking for updates with the laptop connected via ethernet? A USB dongle is probably the easiest option, but it also doesn't appear to be too tremendously complex to replace the internal wifi card, assuming you can find one that is Linux supported. Remove all the rear screws, use a pocket knife credit card (I use spent gift cards) to pry the keyboard cover off, then swap the wifi card and replace the crusty old spinner with an SSD. Really, if it still has it's original HDD it's probably on it's last legs or just begging to die as soon as you shake the laptop/drive, an SSD might (barely) increase battery life and performance (don't kid yourself, an Atom is still slooooow) and you can get a 240GB SSD for about $40 or less these days.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J84v4k8pnyQ

ItBreathes posted:

Also, Gnome 2 is the perfect desktop environment and the main reason I can't see moving away from Linux.
    KDE and/or XFCE would like to have a word with you. Really my biggest complaint about Gnome 2 is simply that Gnome 3 went crazy and I thought that means that Gnome 2 development was officially halted. Sure there are forks, but do the forks have the monetary support of backers like Red Hat IBM?

Adbot
    ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
    Jul 1, 2007

Kassad posted:

^^ Proton is just Wine implemented through Steam, it doesn't require you to mess with anything if you got Steam (and graphics card drivers) running.

Yeah, just go with EXT4 and never look back. Literally, the only time you'll need to think about which file system to use is if you want a flash drive that also works on Windows.
    I think all of the flash drives I have bought recently are still formatted with Fat32, which is nice since it's highly compatible. The only downside is the 4GB file size limitation, which hasn't been a problem but some of my blu-ray rips have ended up close to 4GB even after re-encoding. To get around this, I could format the drives as either exfat or NTFS. I think exfat would likely have better Linux support and NTFS of course would have better windows support, is this correct? Is there a different file system I should consider for flash drives?