Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jul 22, 2007
I'm assuming you're using Somethingbuntu; if not, this might not work:

The package you need is, surprisingly, called kde4-devel, but Kubuntu installs KDE4 to /usr/lib/kde4, since putting it in /usr would make it clash with KDE3. This means you need to change some environment variables.

This is done automatically if you log into KDE4, but since I don't think it's really ready for regular use yet I have a function in my .zshrc to do this:

code:
kde4 () {
        export KDEDIRS=/usr/lib/kde4
        export KDE_SESSION_VERSION=4
        export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/kde4/lib
        export QT_PLUGIN_PATH=$HOME/.kde4/lib/kde4/plugins:/usr/lib/kde4/lib/kde4/plugins
        export PATH=/usr/lib/kde4/bin:$PATH
}
(I tried to translate it to bash but I may have got something wrong.) So putting this in your .bashrc, then running kde4 before CMake should make it behave, I think.

10011 fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 28, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 22, 2007
Just a guess, but does installing libx11composite-dev help?

Jul 22, 2007
As far as power management goes, there are several programs that live in the system tray and don't care what desktop you're running. You won't be missing out on anything important by using Xfce.

And the Ubuntu installer's perfectly happy to scrap everything if you tell it to.