Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

I am quite sure he will learn a thing or two fixing things Gentoo breaks now and then. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

NerdPolice posted:

Worst part of it is the drat CD drive. Each takes like 5-6 CD's where if it was a DVD you would only have a single disc.

Seriously look into installing it over an NFS share or something, that's just plain 1998.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Rather than disable individual accounts you should deny everything by default and allow specific accounts/groups you want to use with SSH. Also running SSH in some utterly random non-privileged port might reduce the amount of "extra" traffic it gets.

uncleTomOfFinland fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 7, 2008

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Kaluza-Klein posted:

What is "promisc" refering to?

Probably this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Promiscuous_mode

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Gumball Dad posted:

Oh boy! I got MySQL installed successfully. Turns out I didn't have to resolve every dependency, I resolved one and everything magically worked. I'm not one to question providence. Now I get to troubleshoot MySQL. I've got the daemon running, but when I try to ./mysqltest nothing happens. Am I even going about this right? How do I actually use MySQL? Like run the program?

EDIT: ok, i figured out how to start and stop mysql. but how do i actually use it? like make/view/edit tables and crap?

You really need to read a book on the subject or a tutorial at least or it's going to be a trail of tears for you.

Ashex posted:

I'm cleaning up my system configs after I discovered that after upgrading to intrepid, half my optimizations are backfiring and my system startup went from 30 seconds to 1:40. I created a network bridge for virtualbox to use and now it has broken, which files should I be checking to remove this bridge? I'm moving to VMware so I don't need it anymore.

I'd check out /etc/network/interfaces first, I guess.

uncleTomOfFinland fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Nov 6, 2008

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

bitprophet posted:

I used to use Arch, but largely on the server end; I did run it as a desktop but that was many moons ago. It's a decent distribution and I loved its package management system -- package creation was the simplest out of all the other ones I've tried, which I really enjoyed.

Granted, that's probably because pacman doesn't have quite the feature set that APT has, but I still felt Arch struck a good middle ground between totally stripped down stuff like Slackware, so-full-featured-it-approaches-byzantine stuff like the Debian family, and the "speed" (since it's all built for i686 instead of i386 like Debian) of source based distros like Gentoo.

I've since come back into the Debian/Ubuntu fold, but still have a lot of respect for Arch.

/spiel

I assume they broke stuff less often than Gentoo?

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

It's been a while since I messed around with Linux software raid so I need a bit of a sanity check here, is this the correct procedure for moving the root to a new software raid device?

The setup is the following; Ubuntu 8.04 and two identical SATA hard drives sda and sdb with a single root partition and a swap partition.

1. Create a new RAID-1 device /dev/md0 out of sdb1
2. Boot from a live cd or something and copy the contents of the old root partition /dev/sda1 to the new one (/dev/md0) with the preserve ownership etc. option.
3. Add software raid modules to the initramfs module config file and run update-initramfs or whatever it was called.
4. Try booting with updated grub configuration and fstab with /dev/md0 as root and if it works add sda1 to /dev/md0.

When I tried booting with /dev/md0 set as root in kernel boot options the operating system simply stops loading after it has probed for all the hard drives without any kind of error message, what am I missing here? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

JHVH-1 posted:

Is it a new install or are you trying to convert non-raid to raid? Cause you can set it up in the installer for RAID where it will do all the work for you setting up grub etc.

Converting but I suppose a clean install could come in question.