Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I'm fairly new to Linux and can't figure out how to solve an audio problem I've been having. I'm using Xubuntu. I have two audio ports in front of my computer - a microphone and headphone jack; I've never gotten them to work. I read that sometimes the front panels don't work with Linux for some reason. Well, then I tried the back panel. I have a bunch of options. I tried them all. At some point, my audio wasn't coming out either my speakers nor my headphones, but straight into Discord. My friend could hear my computer, but I couldn't. I tried installing all kinds of things. I tried AlsaMixer, PulseAudio, the works. I looked at so many different fixes. Including how I might need to override the startup and the BIOS etc. The speakers usually work, but the headphones are way more challenging. They are the kind with one cable for the microphone and headphones, so I have a splitter, if that matters. I actually got it kind of working at one point, but then today, it suddenly didn't. I really want to like Linux, but why is this so difficult?

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

CaptainSarcastic posted:

What hardware are you running? It sounds like you are running sound off the motherboard - do you know what audio chipset it has? I haven't used Xfce in a while, but don't remember sound being a significant hassle with it.

Also, did the front ports work using Windows? And did the sound behave in general using Windows?

SupremeFX 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC apparently. It's an Asus 970 motherboard.

I dropped my Windows hard drive on the concrete, so I'm not sure, haha. I haven't tested the headset with Windows on that computer. The hard drive will be back to me in a few days, so maybe I posted this too soon if it's not some known issue.