Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

Fallom posted:

Has anyone had a similar experience running Ubuntu 8.10 on their Toshiba laptop? I did a fresh install a week ago, and the first time I used it it crashed constantly, wouldn't connect to a wireless network 9 times out of 10, and then it crashed during a system update and started booting up to a kernel panic every time. This was beyond frustrating, and I ended up just putting Windows back on. Previous versions of Ubuntu have worked fine on this laptop.

I'm running 8.10 on my older Satellite. The only thing that needed to be tweaked was the display settings. Wireless works and I haven't run into any problems. I did upgrade from 8.4 though so I don't know if that really makes a difference or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

WHORENDOUS posted:

So I've just gotten ubuntu installed and I'm getting all my packages and basically getting it ready for use with a mysql project. One of the issues I've come across is that I can't set my primary user's password. When I log in, I'm only prompted for my username. When I attempt to change my password through the command line, i get this:

code:
me@machine:~$ passwd
passwd: password updated successfully
How do I get the password to update? I've tried typing in all kinds of crap, using sudo, etc. but I'm still never prompted for my password and I'm not even able to change it with this command. Is there some setting i'm missing?

Try using passwd <username>

If that doesn't work try passwd -f <username> then relog.

Harry Totterbottom fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 18, 2009