Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I was wondering if you guys could suggest a distrobution to try. I've been using Ubuntu for two years or so and I like it, but I'd just as soon try some other window managers and desktops and so on. Specifically, I'm looking for a distro that can be:

- fast and lightweight
- runs a more productive/streamlined desktop (have been using Gnome forever)
- Eyecandy (although it hardly matters - wallpaper shuffling would be the most "eyecandy" I need, really.)

I run Linux on my laptop I use at work, but it's a pretty powerful laptop with four gigs of ram, so performance shouldn't be an issue. I'm just looking for a change of scenery and some speed to go with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Zom Aur posted:

Eh? Aren't these a bit conflicting?

You could give arch a try, most people seem to like it, and the default install is pretty drat lightweight.

For eyecandy and lightweight, you could give openbox a try with xcompmgr and cairo-dock. Looks pretty good and is drat light. Or you could try lxde, it's very lightweight, but it's not what most people would call pretty.

For wallpaper shuffling you could use nitrogen to pick a random wallpaper from a folder with a simple cronjob.

Thanks. I'm not looking for the :toot: Compiz Spinnin' Cube :toot:, just something that looks good to stare at for a while. I'll give those a shot.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm getting my 70 year old grandmother a laptop for Christmas, and I was going to install Linux (probably Ubuntu) and set it up so it's got a ton of big, shiny buttons for internet sites and not much else. Anyone have recommendations on how to go about this? I was thinking of just stripping down GNOME and stretching the desktop icons out, but I was just curious if anyone else had suggestions.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Hi goons - I'm working on a project using Ansible.

Once I'm done setting up my server, I want to take some "screenshots" of the state of the server. These are just commands like top/df/free, but I'd like to capture them including the command and prompt to use in documentation later.

Any tips on how to achieve this? I'm okay just dumping text and then converting it to a screenshot.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I've been using NixOS as a daily driver on my Dell XPS 13 and it has been great.

My current desktop is a Windows 10 Intel i9/GTX 2080. I really want to move to a nix based desktop - I do really lightweight gaming (Stellaris rimworld and slay the spire) and I'm wondering if my setup will be okay/stable enough with Nvidia shenanigans? Or should I bite the bullet and build an amd machine? Specifically asking for drivers/stability purposes

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Mr. Crow posted:

Nvidia works fine these days mostly but idk anything about nix so ymmv? Its probably fine.

Cool. Not really a nix question so much as a, how incompatible will this be question. Appreciate the feedback!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Somewhat related, but any suggestions on how to safely expose devices/HTTP services on my LAN to my Android phone when traveling? I was eyeing maybe tailscale for this. I only want LAN traffic to go over the mesh, though.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What does that look like with a firewall?

Could I do something like put a cloud VM somewhere with wireguard and then have that go back into my LAN?

Maybe repurpose a Pi for this

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Anyone know the best way to get NUT/UPS shutdown working with an IP based UPS card? I'm using a cyber power RMCARD205 and want to shut down ~10 or so servers/VMs in my lab

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Does anyone remotely connect to a Mac from Linux/Wayland? I'm on KDE plasma + NixOS, currently using KRDC using VNC to connect into my laptop, which I mostly use for email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Solaar is also good. You might need to make sure you've installed Logitech udev rules as well