Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Hey! I just installed Ubuntu and I'm trying to get some of my old Windows software to work, like Adobe Photoshop, using wine. The problem is that every version of Photoshop I try to install seems to crash. I've tried CS6 and an old cd of Photoshop Elements, but no such luck! It always crashes as soon as the installer starts up.

Another problem I've been having is getting the system to recognize my Wacom Intuos Draw CTL490DW Digital Drawing and Graphics Tablet. I'm led to believe that all the drivers should already be installed, and I can move the pen and such, but it doesn't seem to have any pressure sensitivity.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Hi. I've restored an ancient ASUS Pundit P1-AH1 media center PC as a backup fileserver running Ubuntu Server 16.04, and I've been having problems getting USB input devices to work after it boots up. While I'm able to use the keyboard in the BIOS, after it boots into the operating system proper, the keyboard stops functioning. I've currently configured it to run headless with ssh. When I use the lsusb command, nothing shows up. It just accepts the command and then goes back to the command line. I am completely stumped!

This is the output of lspci.

code:
00:00.0 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation C51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
00:00.1 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation C51 Memory Controller 0 (rev a2)
00:00.2 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation C51 Memory Controller 1 (rev a2)
00:00.3 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation C51 Memory Controller 5 (rev a2)
00:00.4 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation C51 Memory Controller 4 (rev a2)
00:00.5 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation C51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
00:00.6 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation C51 Memory Controller 3 (rev a2)
00:00.7 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation C51 Memory Controller 2 (rev a2)
00:02.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
00:03.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
00:04.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
00:05.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation C51PV [GeForce 6150] (rev a2)
00:09.0 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation MCP51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
00:0a.0 ISA bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP51 LPC Bridge (rev a2)
00:0a.1 SMBus: NVIDIA Corporation MCP51 SMBus (rev a2)
00:0a.2 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation MCP51 Memory Controller 0 (rev a2)
00:0b.0 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a2)
00:0b.1 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a2)
00:0d.0 IDE interface: NVIDIA Corporation MCP51 IDE (rev a1)
00:0e.0 IDE interface: NVIDIA Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller (rev a1)
00:10.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP51 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
00:10.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
00:14.0 Bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller (rev a1)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
04:03.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6306/7/8 [Fire II(M)] IEEE 1394 OHCI Controller (rev 80)
This is the output of dmesg | greb usb.

code:
[    0.000000] Command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-4.4.0-104-generic root=/dev/mapper/My--Fileserver--vg-root ro acpi=force irqpoll iommu=soft usbcore.autosuspend=-1 acpi=off apm=off
[    0.000000] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-4.4.0-104-generic root=/dev/mapper/My--Fileserver--vg-root ro acpi=force irqpoll iommu=soft usbcore.autosuspend=-1 acpi=off apm=off
[    0.198474] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs
[    0.198491] usbcore: registered new interface driver hub
[    0.198505] usbcore: registered new device driver usb
Thanks!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Have you tried turning off or turning on Legacy USB in the BIOS? Changed the ACPI setting? Changed the power state settings?

I've tried turning off Legacy USB in the BIOS and I've tried ACPI=off and ACPI=force in the grub settings.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Did you try setting the ACPI suspend to S1 only in the BIOS? From looking at the patches available on the ASUS support site for that machine it seemed like there was a hint of an issue with power management of the USB ports.

Hmm, no I haven't! I'll try doing that and report back, thanks!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Did you try setting the ACPI suspend to S1 only in the BIOS? From looking at the patches available on the ASUS support site for that machine it seemed like there was a hint of an issue with power management of the USB ports.

Okay, I tried this and it seems to have no effect as well.

EDIT: Derp. I went into BIOS and set everything to defaults again and somehow it works now?? Computers are weird and mysterious. Thanks anyway! :p

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 9, 2018

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I'm trying to get KDE Plasma to work with Wayland on an NVIDIA RTX4070 Super, using the proprietary drivers. I saw that the latest graphics drivers came out which supposedly improved Wayland compatibility.

(I know, I know, "NVIDIA proprietary is a bad time." I know! But dangit, everything seems to work nicely so far except for trying to use Wayland!)

System specs:

Now, I've tried running Plasma-Wayland before the new drivers and it was totally unusable. It'd freeze up, barely render windows, etc. With the new one it "kinda?" works in that I can open things up, run various apps and so on, but the actual desktop interface is super super laggy. If I click on buttons in the taskbar, it takes tens of seconds or more to open up or respond. There's a noticeable lag if I try to mouse over things. And if I run something like nvidia-settings --query all it doesn't even seem to poll any info from the GPU. Is it... somehow not detecting the GPU and rendering graphics using the onboard motherboard GPU? I'm baffled. None of these issues come up if I use X11.

Any thoughts?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Klyith posted:

Sorry this isn't more help, but I don't think so. If it was it wouldn't be that awful. :)

:mrwhite:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Bark! A Vagrant posted:

Have you walked through the requirements and suggestions here for plasma+wayland+nvidia?

If you don't need wayland I'd just wait it out honestly. It's seems to be under very active development finally, with the most recent nvidia driver released last week having a lot of wayland fixes/updates and it looks like Plasma 6 released yesterday with a bunch of wayland improvements. Some people are reporting the infamous resume from sleep bug is fixed now in Plasma 6. I don't know much about kubuntu but it looks like it won't be getting the latest nvidia drivers and Plasma 6 for a little while

I have, yes, and it doesn't seem to have made any difference. I'll wait and see if Plasma 6 makes any differences when it gets released. For now, X11 works great still, I've mainly been interested in tinkering with Wayland in the interests of preparing for the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

I'm trying to get KDE Plasma to work with Wayland on an NVIDIA RTX4070 Super, using the proprietary drivers. I saw that the latest graphics drivers came out which supposedly improved Wayland compatibility.

(I know, I know, "NVIDIA proprietary is a bad time." I know! But dangit, everything seems to work nicely so far except for trying to use Wayland!)

System specs:

Now, I've tried running Plasma-Wayland before the new drivers and it was totally unusable. It'd freeze up, barely render windows, etc. With the new one it "kinda?" works in that I can open things up, run various apps and so on, but the actual desktop interface is super super laggy. If I click on buttons in the taskbar, it takes tens of seconds or more to open up or respond. There's a noticeable lag if I try to mouse over things. And if I run something like nvidia-settings --query all it doesn't even seem to poll any info from the GPU. Is it... somehow not detecting the GPU and rendering graphics using the onboard motherboard GPU? I'm baffled. None of these issues come up if I use X11.

Any thoughts?

I just wanted to say I fixed this.

I don't know what it was, but I just installed Arch so I could get Plasma 6, and installed the Nvidia proprietary drivers, and now Wayland works fine somehow. Magic!