Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Here's a fun project: Run an FTP server visible on the Internet, add a user with a strong password, disable anonymous logons, fire up Wireshark and set it to monitor FTP control traffic, and wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Fedora is Red Hat's testing ground for what goes into the next RHEL, so that's probably what you want. If you want the absolute latest packages you can get without having to compile a ton of stuff, you're looking at a rolling release distribution like Arch. If you're just looking at specific packages, check distrowatch.com and get whatever distribution fits your needs.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Probably because /tmp is supposed to be erased after every boot, so the developers think they shouldn't have to worry about cleaning up after themselves.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

eXXon posted:

Windows is still by far the favoured platform for games, but I don't know much about game development so someone else can speak to that.

As I understand it, Linux hasn't become popular for games for several reasons: Programming in OpenGL is harder than Direct3D, graphics drivers have to be built specifically for the kernel version/version of Xorg, installing things is more difficult, etc. But the really big problem is that X11, which pretty much everything but OS X and Android use, is hacked-together garbage. It wasn't designed to do the things modern desktops and workstations need it to do, and it really shows its age in that respect.

For many, many years, graphics card manufacturers flat-out refused to cooperate with the open source community in any way and just put out binary drivers whenever they felt like it, making it pretty much impossible to change to a better system. Now, most of the graphics cards have been reverse-engineered, and a variety of factors have led the big manufacturers to cooperate with the community more, making a change possible. Unfortunately, the replacements for X11 haven't been adopted in any mainstream system yet, and there are several competing replacements out, so it will be a while still before Linux will be able to compete on that front.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

supermikhail posted:

Uh, I guess that's a question worth asking.

If under Windows I register and buy music on iTunes, will I be able to copy it over and play it under Linux (or simply play off the Windows partition, although I haven't had uncouraging results with such operations)? I've read that iTunes music doesn't have any DRM, but I'd like to be certain.

Depending on your distribution, you may need to install an AAC codec because of patents. You can buy a codec pack or download a codec for free if you don't mind the legal risk. Alternatively, install Chrome or transcode your files to FLAC, and you'll be able to play them.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Last I heard about emacs, some guys were throwing a fit on the mailing list because somebody wanted to support some LLVM debug stuff or something in emacs because LLVM isn't blessed by :rms2:.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Fun fact: NTFS also supports any characters except '\0' and '/'. You can mount an NTFS file system with ntfs-3g and write file names that Windows would choke on.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

DeaconBlues posted:

Just tried ssh-add and it worked. It didn't preserve over reboot.

Will look into ssh-agent now. Cheers.

ssh-agent is the backend for ssh-add. If ssh-add worked, that's it.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

There's also a borderless mode in some VMs where they'll hide the Linux desktop and give each app its own window on your real desktop.

Alternatively, if you don't care about learning Linux specifically, you can just install Cygwin, which is as simple as downloading the setup and mashing "Next" until it installs. You can get a substantial subset of Unix-compatible commands, the Bash shell, and an X server with a few client apps.

Pretty soon, Microsoft will also be releasing a Linux compatibility layer, and you can install Ubuntu programs on to it with no modifications. It's in beta testing and might not work for you, though, and it needs a separate X server since display devices aren't supported.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

kujeger posted:

apparently there were fruitful discussions about creating a third alternative at the last XDC so uuuuh the future might be better???

The future five years from now. From what I understand, NVIDIA's drivers are essentially a wrapper around the Windows driver, and the Linux team can't touch the actual driver code. On the other hand, GBM is practically Linux-only, but it's what everyone else uses because it's simple.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Looks like Mutter will be getting support for NVIDIA proprietary drivers on Wayland soon. Some patches just went through for Gnome 3.24, which is due March 20-22. Fedora 25 might backport the patches, which I think would make it the first distro to support Wayland on NVIDIA.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

As I mentioned earlier, Mutter is getting EGLStream and EGLDevice support next release. 3.23.2 already has it. This means that GNOME at least will support NVIDIA on Wayland. In fact, Fedora already supports it via backported patches.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

thebigcow posted:

I think H.264 support in Firefox relied on something from Cisco that is free but not free enough to be turned on and there are some shenanigans involved in making it work.

Yes. All video codecs people actually use are heavily patented, and everything but VPX cost real money to use. Cisco paid that money for H.264 so their videoconferencing software would work with no hassle, but the codec has to be distributed in binary form to keep the patent license (they would have no way of calculating how much they owe otherwise).

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Why is a distribution installing music playback libraries for the Super Nintendo by default? Why is that even a thing gstreamer supports?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

You should just run "systemctl reboot --firmware-setup" as root to get to UEFI Setup. That does it in exactly the same way as Windows does. Don't mess with the boot manager to do that. Setup shouldn't even be a boot option and probably won't do what you think it should.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Both Windows and Linux let you change that behavior. Linux handles the change a lot better, so it's best to set Linux to use local time.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Wait, you overwrote the drive with an operating system? There's no way to get everything back. Just rebuild it from the old drives.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

The_Franz posted:

Gnome now has support for EGLStreams so Wayland will work with Nvidia. It landed too late for Fedora 25 though, so you'll have to wait for the next version. KDE + Wayland on Nvidia is still a no-go though and that doesn't seem like it will change any time soon.

And they're having trouble getting Gnome working with some graphics configurations, so the alpha is getting delayed.

Also, their artists apparently missed the memo that they needed some new backgrounds. Can't release an alpha without new backgrounds, no siree! (This is an actual alpha release criterion, :wtc:)

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Are there any minimal DEs that use Mutter? From what I can tell, it's going to be the only window manager to support NVIDIA on Wayland until they develop the new buffer allocation protocol.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

tzdata is IANA's timezone database that updates about every two months.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Tigren posted:

drat! I just finished converting all of my mp3s to ogg-vorbis. Guess I'll just convert back now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEzhxP-pdos

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

There are actually a couple of requirements in HTTP/2. TLS 1.2 and above with SNI extensions is required, ECDHE with the P-256 curve must be supported and use 224+-bit keys, and GCM and SHA-256 must be supported. Technically, you don't need TLS at all, but in practice, nobody supports HTTP/2 without encryption, and those are the minimum requirements for encryption.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

I don't see why not. It should be the same as any other Mac.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Windows ports tend to suck anyway. Windows just doesn't have the same feature set for everything. For instance, Windows has no fork except for an undocumented native method, so processes can't be created with copy-on-write pages, which causes a performance hit on process creation.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Windows Subsystem for Linux just got released, so you don’t even need a VM. You would have to start any daemons from Task Scheduler and supply your own display server, but none of that is hard.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

I have been wondering if you could do a syscall to lxss.sys from Win32 or NT native code to get fork working well for Cygwin and MinGW. They would never support it officially due to it being undocumented, but it would probably work better than NtCreateProcess or making your own hacky kernel service. What calling convention does it use?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

SD cards are notoriously lovely. They can die if you look at them funny.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Wouldn't using Chromium give largely the same results as using Chrome?

Chromium can only include basic versions of H.264 (through the Cisco codec, if it even supports that) and AAC due to licensing, and it can’t support HEIF at all. You would have to purchase licenses for the codecs yourself to use them with Chromium (or build them yourself and take the very low risk of getting sued).

e: Also, last I checked, Red Hat flat out refuses to include Chromium because it can’t be linked dynamically without seriously retooling its build scripts, and they forbid statically linked binaries.

Double Punctuation fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 28, 2018

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Sudo should just run the command given if run as root with no questions, same as su -c, unless your sudoers is messed up.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

What do you really want to accomplish? We literally just had this discussion last page.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Volguus posted:

No, he wasn't well. But he was a genius nonetheless. TempleOS is a god drat work of art.

It literally is.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

CRAYON posted:

Are there any ffmpeg wizards in here, or could you point me to the correct thread?

I'm running into an issue with trimmed video files being the correct length but showing incorrect duration in media players. I can go into more details if anyone knows ffmpeg and wants to skim some logs.

Sure. What command are you using, or is it a GUI?

One thing I can think of is the beginning of your segments might not be at keyframes. That would require you to re-encode the entire video, or else weird issues like what you’re describing can crop up. Starting cuts at keyframes avoids that issue and doesn’t result in quality loss.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Out of all the bigger companies to try to acquire them, IBM is probably the least terrible option for Red Hat. They aren’t a nice company (an understatement, I know), but they will probably change things the least of the others.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Yeah, Microsoft would be so much better, the company that laid off their entire QA department and was surprised when a released upgrade deleted people’s documents from their home folders, despite said problem having been reported during the beta.

Also, I wouldn’t worry too much. SUSE is on its fourth takeover now, and it’s still pretty good.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

It’s probably best to do a hash -r, just to be safe, especially if you’re about to build something that might care which version of a command it’s running (for instance, I’ve had builds fail because BSD sed and GNU sed produced different outputs).

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

VS Code is the superior text editor.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Also, Windows supports Unix sockets now (in both Win32 and WSL), and dbus runs fine. It’s not going to automatically start or set up your environment, but it does work.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

I’m using openSUSE Tumbleweed myself. I only really set up dbus in an attempt to make updates stop spewing out so many useless warnings, but that really only changed them from “dbus isn’t running” to “systemd isn’t running.” Which is slightly more indicative of the real “problem” to be fair, but still useless clutter amid the actually important warnings (usually about .rpmnew files).

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Shofixti posted:

Every time I open a text file through the file manager I get the following message. It's really annoying. What's going on? It's not happening with any other file types.

I'm running Mint and still getting comfortable with Linux.

Did the files come from an external drive or another system? If so, they will have the execute permission set by default. Other files won’t do that because they are clearly not executable, but Mint has no way to tell that a text file isn’t actually a shell script, so it relies on the execute permission to determine that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

General_Failure posted:

Anyway, I'm a total Fedora noob. What's the correct way to install the nVidia graphics card binaries? I want to get all the CUDA stuff installed after that.

Just use the installer from their site and reboot. At the next boot, Grub should ask you to allow the certificate.