Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

I just got a Lenovo Z510 with a Intel i7 4700MQ and a Intel HD 4600 graphics chip and promptly installed Fedora on it. The problem is, Fedora doesn't appear to be able to detect the VGA monitor I have plugged in. It mirrors the display if it's plugged in when the laptop boots- but Fedora won't see it: it dosen't show up in the 'Display Control Panel' widget or in xrandr.

It may be related that I put the BIOS into 'Legacy Mode' to install Fedora, but other than that I'm looking for suggestions on why my display won't show up. I am going to try an HDMI monitor soon too- but I would like for both to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

I have one of those new fanged 4k laptops that I run linux on.

This is great except when I plug it into monitors that are a more sane resolution (ie, 2x 1080p, 2x 1440p) and the DPI settings need to be completely different and this seems to involve changing a billion settings and restarting the laptop.

I'm fine with having one DPI set at a time - ie, I don't need three monitors (laptop + 2 desktop monitors) but I do need it to reliability switch DPIs. Best case is without restarting my session. Based on people's experiences what have been the best distributions for this use case?

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

app restarts are fine but right now I'm using Kubuntu 16.04 HWE and it doesn't play real friendly with DPI changes without rebooting. It's probably something hacked about my setup.

e: I might need to rethink how I change the config. Right now I change the DPI in a few different files but I don't call xrandr, maybe I should do that.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

taqueso posted:

Is there an arms race of vm detection methods or is it impossible to hide it completely by design?

It's often called sandbox detection.