Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

quote:

The number of accesses (pages and other items served) globally on the Apache server

I don't know anything more than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

hackedaccount posted:

Speaking of that, what's the purpose of /etc/cups/printers.conf.O ?

Copy of the original iirc

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

YouTuber posted:

Anyone know of a decent small sized distro that would work via USB thumbdrive for a 2.2ghz 512mb computer? The comp is from the mid 2000s and the IDE HD inside it is likely shot and I'm not investing any money into breathing life into this computer. I was thinking Lubuntu but any other options I'd love to hear.

I've seen stuff like Puppey Linux but I have no experience with it. The role for this computer is extremely light web browsing for bank information for my mother who hates computers and refuses to learn anything about them. Nothing complex can be tolerated.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136292 $9 with a coupon code

:v:

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

FISHMANPET posted:

Who, in tyool 2012 (when that post was written) would view that as an acceptable website design?

Oh, open source contributors.

It probably looks great on a 14" monitor running whatever web browser those folks run.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

xtal posted:

Thanks again for the replies. The --gapless-audio flag seems not to affect loops, just transitions between files. ffplay has a smaller gap, but still a prohibitive one (in fact, it has a very pretty spectrogram display that lets you see it visually.)

It's beginning to look like I'll need to handwrite a program in C to interact with ALSA directly, which is frankly ridiculous for something as simple as looping a wav file, but whateva.

Make a copy of the .wav and play them back to back

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
http://www.linuxatemyram.com/

htop should show what is actually being used and what is just cache.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Don't you need a processor with physical addresses extensions? Or is DSL an ancient kernel?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

That did it thanks a bunch, I'll just have to remember to mash F6 when I'm done instead of just closing the putty window.

Just closing putty should already leave everything running. Take a look at this and see if you need to fiddle with something/already fiddled with the wrong thing.

https://help.ubuntu.com/14.04/serverguide/byobu.html

edit: I have mine to set to always launch when I log on.

thebigcow fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 24, 2014

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Ubuntu has a server guide that explains the distro approved way to do a bunch of things. Does CentOS have anything similar? Their wiki is a mess and the documentation is for CentOS 5.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Thank You

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

fletcher posted:

Somebody asked this a bunch of pages ago but the responses didn't really illuminate things for me. How do you organize stuff in puppet? My default.pp is growing and I'm not sure how to split it up and keep things organized.

There's a puppet thread now http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654103

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Larry didn't hit (I think) number 5 richest man in the world by playing nice.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Not available in stores

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Did you install KDE through apt or through tasksel? tasksel should get you all the weird bits and configure them appropriately.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

xtal posted:

I haven't used a BSD yet because of poor hardware support, but I agree that Linux isn't my favourite thing right now.

bash is way huge and there are probably another dozen shellshocks in there. Even strings is unsafe. But my main concern is ideological just because I use the suckless toolchain (dwm/surf/st/dmenu) and now coreutils is the biggest thing on my system.

Check the OpenBSD supported hardware list and build that. It sounds like a perfect fit for you.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I had to hard configure NFS on OpenIndiana to version 3 because vSphere vNFS is vDumb. NFS support between different things always ends up being strange :(

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Do you want something automated while the system is running or something where you occasionally shut everything down for a backup? If the latter I really like Clonezilla, it ignores free space in the file systems it supports and will use all the system resources to compress the disc image.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
It will really suck to use but it should still work. Probably.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

hooah posted:

I'm not sure if this is a *nix problem or a PuTTY problem, so I'll start here. I'm using PuTTY to remote in to a school server and do some stuff. Normally this works fine on my computers, but I'm using one in my lab at school, and I'm seeing strange behavior (and I just checked on my laptop and I'm seeing the same weird poo poo, so *shrug*). The problem is that I can't edit commands, either ones that I'm in the middle of typing or if I use the up arrow to go back. I could swear I used to be able to have a command at the prompt, move the cursor, and edit there. Now if I try that, it's almost like I'm using vim; for instance, if I press 's', that will first delete a character, then start inserting 's's at the cursor. 'a' will move the cursor right. What the hell is going on and how can I get regular command prompt behavior back?

Assuming something else isn't broken you may need to change some options in putty under Terminal -> Keyboard. I don't remember exactly what but I do remember having to change something when I started using byobu.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've got a question about licensing.

At work we're using Ghost to do disk to disk imaging for new Windows PCs.

WDS is my ideal solution but I think that's just too much to ask for right now.

I got a copy of Parted Magic and it works great! How do I prove to my boss that we're okay on licensing if I want to use this all over the company?

Email them and ask for an explanation of their licensing. Alternatively just get Clonezilla and Gparted from their sources, both are entirely free. Parted Magic is pretty nicely packaged though.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Is this where someone posts the XKCD comic of someone being wrong on the internet?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

NOTinuyasha posted:

Since my TERM is screen-256color, it wasn't affected until the wildcard was added. I can change TERM to something that doesn't match but that causes other problems.

Modifying every server I work with is out of the question. Tmux has an option to prevent title changes, I was just hoping there was some hack that could save me the trouble, I have a bunch of screen configurations I'm not looking forward to convert now that we're switching to CentOS 7.

File a bug and hope it gets fixed upstream :)

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Thermopyle posted:

I've got a system living on a 2 disk mdadm raid1. I want to move it to a single SSD.

How do I do this?

What's the partition layout on top of mdadm? It may be as simple as shrink and copy.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
On windows some things will flatly refuse to run if there is no swap space, idk about Linux.

Are those partitions just holding big lvm thingamajigs?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

SAP is pushing HANA but they can't quite get people on board it seems. I was just commenting on the general state of working with customers. Getting paid is one thing, making your customers resent you is quite the other. Larry seems to be a star at the latter.

My person opinion: Sure it pays of now but in the end I don't think having this kind of relationship with your customers is beneficial.

Larry didn't get to be number five on the Forbes list of richest people in the world by being friendly.

Part of Oracle licensing is being slightly less than the cost of moving off Oracle, wonder how far they'll push it when the cost of the moving goes up.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Kilson posted:

Ahh, I see, I can ping them when I do that. I think we're supposed to have some ISP-provided global IPv6 address, not 6to4 or any kind of translation.

I think he means is it configured through SLAAC, DHCPv6., or are you punching in numbers. Link local addresses for routers is normal.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Highblood posted:

So I've got some linux experience, probably ran every distro worth mentioning for some time at some point in my life. The thing is I feel like I don't actually know anything about it. I can hack my way around pretty much every problem I encounter, but it usually ends up being just that, a hack and a half-assed one at that. Google is usually my best friend, I can't actually do poo poo on my own. This works great on the short-term, after a while though my system usually turns into an unworkable mush.

What are good resources I can use to learn linux from A to Z, leaving no stones unturned. I want to know everything. No more googling of config files and copy pasting someone else's work because I can't figure it out for myself. Help me RTFM

Find evol262, kill him, and eat his heart. This will get you half way there, then use the knowledge you absorbed to find the head developer of every project and do the same.

Alternatively, use it every day.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Docjowles posted:

No one willingly uses subversion anymore. You probably want git for version control.

There's a few ways you can go depending on how elaborate you want to make this. You could simply run "git init" inside /etc, /var/spool/cron, and so on, which will turn them into git repos. All this means in practice is they gain a .git directory to store metadata and the previous revisions. Then "git add *; git commit -a" and you've added everything in the dir to the repo and committed its current state. Later on if you find you've made a bad change, you can easily revert to a previous version. For backups, you could "git push" to a remote server, perhaps a private Bitbucket repo (GitHub charges for this, Bitbucket is free).

The more :effort: way to do this is with a config management tool like Chef/Puppet/SaltStack/Ansible. This is certainly overkill for one personal server unless you just want to learn the tech for your resume or your own curiosity. But it's very flexible and powerful, and really basic table stakes if you want to get into professional Linux administration.

Do people still use etckeeper?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Thermopyle posted:

It's a Windows XP 32-bit VM that we've got to run some old lovely software on for maybe 6 more months until we migrate to something new.

I don't really want to expose the guest to the internet because...well, it's Windows XP, so I was wondering if it was possible to make KVM's VNC connection secure.

Is there a reason you can't run VNC over some kind of VPN and block it from anything else?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

ToxicFrog posted:

Libreoffice is many things, but lightweight it isn't.

I'm guessing the goal is something that occupies more or less the same niche as Wordpad on windows? I.e. some support for page layout and RTF, but not a full power document editor/word processor?

I remember liking abiword, but its been a long time.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Peristalsis posted:

Here's my situation:

I recently switched my work PC to Ubuntu 14.04 because the Ruby on Rails code I write is for Linux, and I'm tired of screwing around with VMs, Vagrant, etc. It's much nicer to open a command prompt and just do stuff, and not have to worry about starting up some other process first, or connecting to a headless VM, or being in the right window that has the right sub-windows, and then deal with slow performance due to so much overhead. So far, I like it pretty well, except for one thing: I'm really used to Outlook and its pop-up notifications to remind me when I have a meeting.

I have Thunderbird installed, and I have lightning added on to it, but I can't get lightning to connect to our server properly. That may well be an easy fix, but I know nothing about networking or email servers, and our IT department is adamant that anyone not using Mac or Windows is on their own. I also tried evolution, but I think it had even more problems. I'm in the process of trying out Crossover to run Outlook from within Ubuntu, but I thought I'd ask here if there's another/better option. We're using Office365, and I hate the web app, so I'd like to have a combined email and calendar application, even if it isn't Thunderbird or Outlook.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, feel free to move it, cast me into the lake of fire, etc.

There's a plug in https://github.com/Ericsson/exchangecalendar/releases

Otherwise I think Evolution can work with Exchange.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a way for me to send a magic packet to my computer at work every morning (say from my home network or whatever) for wake on lan, when I have no control of the network at work? I'm pretty sure the answer is no right?

You need something on that network. Alternatively you might have a BIOS option to turn on at a certain time of day.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

DeaconBlues posted:

What ended up working for me was to create no /home partition.

I got samba working fine within my tiny / partition, then tried symlinking my '/anonymous/samba' with my '/home/neal/shared-files' but softlinking didn't work and hardlinking wasn't permitted across partitions (well, LVM's).

I've partitioned manually and I'm installing as I type this. Three partitions (/boot, swap and one massive /).

I'm disappointed that there's no easier way to samba share home partitions on CentOS, but I guess there's a good security reason I'm unaware of.

Did you look into the selinux log like someone suggested earlier?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Are you using a laptop where the right half of the keyboard is also a ten key pad if you press a button and then mashing insert?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I remember reading when Skylake processors came out that the support for HD 530 graphics was terrible. Has it improved/was there actually a problem?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
efb

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Horse Clocks posted:

I decided to check out openSUSE Tumbleweed (again) yesterday. And I must say I'm somewhat impressed with LXQt, Snapper, 1-Click installs and whatever else I'm missing.

But I've yet to get (some) videos to play. Youtube works, but .gifv's (Firefox reports "No decoders required for formats: video/mp4") on Imgur, and .wmv's on disk don't play.

I did a 1-click install of: http://opensuse-guide.org/codecs.php, but that didn't seem to work (and I'm not sure why packman is even needed, all those packages seem to be present in the Tumbleweed repo) so I rolled back those changes with snapper.

I'm somewhat stumped, I could have sworn last time I gave suse a crack it 'just worked'.

I think H.264 support in Firefox relied on something from Cisco that is free but not free enough to be turned on and there are some shenanigans involved in making it work.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Is there any reason you can't just make a backup, boot into gparted, click your way through it, and call it a day?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

anthonypants posted:

For starters it's a public-facing SFTP server and I'm absolutely not going to put X on it

Great news, Gparted is available as a live cd!

Any way you do this shouldn't involve a bunch of voodoo with fdisk. Check the publication date on any howto's that call for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-11/msg00515.html