Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Tried it with other wireless mice?

If you use or connect other wireless radios or devices to the computer, does turning those off or disabling them fix the issue? Any other sources of noise? Rare but it does happen, and this is always worth checking before you go deeper into the troubleshooting rabbit hole.

EDIT: I just checked the Arch wiki and it mentions this as an issue for Logitech Unifying Receiver devices: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Logitech_Unifying_Receiver#Lag_of_the_wireless_device

Buck Turgidson fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Dec 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Bob Morales posted:

Anyone want to recommend a Linux podcast or even episode? Going on a two hour drive and want something to listen to.

Most of podcasts are OK in very small doses. Try:

- Late Night Linux
- Destination Linux
- Linux Unplugged
- BSD Now (if you like BSD)

I wouldn't listen to them for a full two hours.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Linux manpages need some work. I have a server running OpenBSD and the manpages are actually useful. they often include useful examples. Also there's example configs for a lot of the base system in /etc/example (or something like that I can't check)

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
To those using Linux as a gaming pc hooked up to a tv, what desktop env/window manager do you use? Or do you in just boot straight into big picture/Kodi/something else?

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

xtal posted:

Just boot straight to Kodi or (in my case) big picture. Anything else is a waste of memory.

as in login manager -> steamos compositor?

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
may or may not be an option, but you can edit sudoers and increase the password timeout, or set NOPASSWD

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I did "set -o vi" as a joke but now I actually use it

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Where does KDE source X resources from?

If I query xrdb I get a whole bunch of values for different programs. Some of them are given as a variable name or alias like BACKGROUND. The issue is that not all of these are defined. If I attempt to run Emacs for example, it will fail to open and say BACKGROUND is not defined.

I can work around that by putting some values in my .Xresources file and calling xrdb in my .bashrc file, but where is all this stuff coming from in the first place? Where is KDE calling xrdb?

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Paul MaudDib posted:

OK, I can confirm that installing the lubuntu-desktop metapackage on the mainline ubuntu installer doesn't get you the same thing as installing Lubuntu. There's a bunch of UI configuration and packages that aren't installed.

the approach I've been trying to do is install ubuntu on the main drive, install Lubuntu on a separate drive, boot the lubuntu install, mount the zfs volumes, delete the main install and rsync the lubuntu copy in. So far I haven't quite got that to work right though.

I guess maybe the easy option is dumping a list of packages and installing that inside ubuntu, and then copying out the user skeleton and any files it depends on, and then putting those in Ubuntu?

Holy moly surely there's just some dot files you can copy over

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Zero VGS posted:

Can any flavor of Linux do adaptive sync on Intel Integrated Graphics currently? I saw some articles mentioning Intel was planning to enable it for 11th series CPUs which is what I have. I'm streaming from a headless desktop to this 4K OLED Ubuntu laptop but I currently have to choose between 3ms latency or 16ms with vsync on.

edit: Like this shows that Adaptive Sync can be enabled on some devices in the Intel Control Panel, does that even exist in Linux?: https://software.intel.com/content/...-microsoft.html

edit 2: Found this as well but it's all greek to me. Would there be a live ISO somewhere that I could test with? https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.12-Gen12-Xe-VRR-Intel

I was looking at this the other day, although it turned out not to be relevant for me so I didn't end up testing it out.

You need at least the 5.12 kernel, which I don't think ubuntu has. Pretty sure something like manjaro or rolling distros should have at least 5.12 available. Try a manjaro version with kde, that should be easy to test out. When you log in, make sure your session is using wayland (this should be an option somewhere in the corner of the login screen). See if it works when you run a fullscreen application.

SamDabbers posted:

How do you like your PineBook Pro?

I have one, I like it.

Pros:

- very light
- completely silent
- stays cool
- screen is good (at least for me, my other laptop is a t420 lol)
- terrific battery life
- surprisingly good distro support

Cons:

- i/o is a bit slow
- absolutely not a powerful cpu
- came with manjaro, which i don't really like
- not sure i trust the hinges
- closed firmware blobs for networking

Apparently the trackpad is not great for some people. I thought it was fine, but my preference is to use either a trackball or no pointer input at all, so I've barely used it. The keyboard is OK, it's better than some other laptops keyboards I've been subjected to, but it's nothing to write home about.

I use it quite a lot, mostly for web browsing, emails, writing stuff, and trying to build things on arm. It's good as a no-frills, distraction-free laptop.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Zero VGS posted:

But, I still seem to have no VRR by default, and no idea if there's some kind of control panel to toggle it on, or configuration file to force it on.

What desktop environment are you using? I suggested KDE (preferably a recent version) because apparently a wayland KDE session just turns VRR on automatically. It just seems like the easiest way to test it out.

If you're using X, it looks like you need to make a config file:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Intel_graphics#Xorg_configuration

Then tell it to use VRR:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Variable_refresh_rate#Using_an_Xorg_conf_file

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

DerekSmartymans posted:

Do GoG and other game stores besides Steam work on Debian? I’ve never checked but my GoG Galaxy is really great and I’ve never had any problem out of it even from Epic’s free titles/downloads.

I can't say I've tried them all, but there are generally a few options when it comes to at least GoG. I use a utility called lutris to download and run games from GoG, which depending on the game might allow you to run native linux versions of games, or run them using wine, proton builds etc. If you want to make use of Steam's controller configuration stuff with games outside of Steam, there's a utility called sc-controller that lets you do that too.

I know lutris is packaged on debian, doesn't look like sc-controller is in the repos though.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I use vi/vim for doing quick or otherwise tedious edits of config files and stuff like that. I reckon some knowledge of vi + tmux is indispensable for managing servers.

I use Emacs for just about everything else that involves writing. My personal email, writing lists, recipes, articles, lnotes, generating pdf and static sites etc. I'll also say if you dabble in one or more lisps then it's excellent for that too. I don't use it (or any pc or phone) for to-dos... I just use a little notebook and pencil lol

I like Emacs but I will admit that the out of box experience is bewildering. I get why someone would open it once and decide it's not for them.

Buck Turgidson fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 19, 2021

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

NihilCredo posted:

So I just upgraded to Fedora 35 and I wanted to check out the supposedly improved Nvidia drivers + Wayland situation. I ran into the following conundrum, and found more people in forums having the same issues, and it baffles me because it's not quite a bug but I can't see how it's not considered a borderline showstopper.

- With full-disk LUKS encryption, you need to enter a password at boot before login

- With the kernel argument 'nvidia-drm.modeset=1', Fedora will try to use the video driver to display the password input screen (at full resolution and all). However, it can't properly load the driver with the disk encrypted, so you get a black screen at startup, and you need to know to blindly type the password and press enter and hope it was in fact the boot screen and not something else

- With the kernel argument 'nomodeset', the password input is displayed in a basic, low-res but perfectly functional screen. However, Plasma-Wayland will refuse to start if 'nomodeset' is on, saying something like 'no DRM device found', and I don't understand why it would care about it (from reading around, Gnome-Wayland seems to do the same?)

So basically, to use the much-touted Nvidia / Wayland combo in F35, you need to either skip LUKS encryption or get used to blindly typing your LUKS password into a black screen, something that can go wrong very easily. I thought having LUKS had been basically the norm for at least a decade, so this problem should have been apparent for a while - am I wrong and it's actually something that only nerds enable during setup?

can you disable grub's graphical mode?

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I think the desktop is quite good. I have to use Windows for work but something like KDE absolutely smokes it for normal stuff. Most stuff can be done in the gui. Setting up stuff like printers isn't a total pain in the balls and I actually found it easier than the last time I did it on Windows.There's a lot of variety in what you can do with the desktop depending on use case and your hardware.

The GUI software stores are extremely hit and miss though. It also seems like there's not that much GUI systems admin stuff around. Like there's yast and ??? I don't think most distros take this seriously, even und desktop oriented ones.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

RFC2324 posted:

its not distros not taking it seriously, its no one taking it seriously. distros aren't the only(or even main) source for software, they just repackage other peoples work and configure it into something vaguely cohesive. They write toolling towards that end(yast, foreman, assorted package managers) but applications mostly come from people wanting a thing and then writing it

Also, as a systems admin, gui tools wouldn't do me much good, because they would A) need to be installed on the remote machine, which would require installing a GUI and all that extra bloat and attack surface and B) need to be used via xforwarding or VNC over ssh, neither of which is a spectacular experience.

all that said, if you want some admin tooling in the GUI, you are gonna have to be the change you want to see and write it yourself

I probably shouldn't have said systems admin stuff, I mean more managing your desktop machine. Aside from yast there's not a whole lot of utilities that really ties all the configuration options and tooling options together into a somewhat cohesive GUI. I mention distros because they're the ones that make at least the initial software and config choices, so they're in the best position to present those choices to the user in an obvious way.

It doesn't bother me, I am happy to use the terminal to change stuff if I have to, but it just seems like a bit of a gap compared to stuff like the device manager, control panel etc in Windows.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Furism posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but here goes. I have been using "Bash on Ubuntu on Windows" for years but recently (not sure how recently, could be days or could be weeks) there was an update I think and now my ~/.ssh is weird:

How do I fix this? I don't know the root password to change ownership on known_hosts.

Are you able to use sudo?

Assuming you can't use sudo, if you have write permission on the .ssh dir you can delete the file. Unsure how helpful that might be for you though.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
bodge incoming: use cron to kill and restart feh every 23 hours. use your remaining free time to drink beer and pat yourself on the back

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Gnome and KDE both have their own little suite of programs running in the background, couldn't say how much it actually matters for battery life though. Install plasma-desktop and see which one you like better.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Please just forget I said anything, because I can't deal with this right now.
I just found a lump near a place where the previous time I found a lump, it turned out to be cancer.

Shiiit. Best wishes.

(PS please don't stop BSD posting lol)

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I got a free copy of Mike Cannon's book Linux for Beginners, I read through a few chapters and it seemed decent.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

McCracAttack posted:

I've been messing around with Pop OS and just like people said Steam games run pretty well with Proton enabled. However, I have noticed that the games have a bad habit of "hitching" every second or so. Any suggestions on what to look into first? I have an Nvidia GPU and I'm using the driver that was suggested in the built in Pop OS app store.

Also, if there's a better place to ask about this please let me know.

You might need to tweak things a bit to get better gaming performance. In the OP of the Linux gaming thread there's a link to a utility called Gamemode. It's a background process that detects when you are running a game and makes tweaks to try and maximise performance.

After you install it, you add "gamemoderun %command%" to the launch options of your steam games. The gamemode process should detect that you have launched a game and make the required tweaks.

Give it a try and see how you go. You might also find this page useful: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Gamemode

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Gyshall posted:

I've been using NixOS as a daily driver on my Dell XPS 13 and it has been great.

My current desktop is a Windows 10 Intel i9/GTX 2080. I really want to move to a nix based desktop - I do really lightweight gaming (Stellaris rimworld and slay the spire) and I'm wondering if my setup will be okay/stable enough with Nvidia shenanigans? Or should I bite the bullet and build an amd machine? Specifically asking for drivers/stability purposes

If anything nix should be less fragile (as far as Linux distros go), because it allows you to roll back to a previous version of your system if anything goes wrong after an update. You can also declare that your system should use a specific version/commit of a package, useful if know that works for you.

Only real way to see how stable it truly is is to test it. Maybe try an image on a USB and see if basic stuff works OK before you nuke your windows install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

BrainDance posted:

Kinda speaking of Wayland, I got a Debian Sid machine (it's a very uncritical machine) that I use to drive my projector, basically a RetroArch/jellyfin/Netflix machine.

I use KDE for it just because I like KDE, but I really would like something more appropriate for launching programs from a couch on a big rear end screen without having to go full on Kodi or something. I don't actually really like Kodi.

Despite kde and Nvidia I decided to jump over to Wayland from x. X was always an rear end about setting the resolution and refresh rate correctly on the projector, but with Wayland it works really well.

But the problem is, I was using kde connect from my phone to use it from my couch. The mouse in kde connect works, but not the keyboard. I googled it and it's a known issue.... From a couple years ago.

Is there an alternative to kde connect that can let me use my phone as a keyboard that also works in Wayland? I'm worried this is gonna be one of those things that can't be done just because of the way Wayland works but it's actually kind of important, no one wants to have to get up from the couch and walk over to a keyboard just to type "stranger things"

And same for the de, is there a de specifically aimed at this sort of use/a way someone's made kde more appropriate for it that I can copy?

Plasma bigscreen?