Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

At the risk of starting a holy war.... What WM do people like these days?

I haven't used linux desktop in like 6 years. I liked enlightenment back then, but the most current version is crashing a fair amount on me so I'm looking for elsething. I like transparency and stupid WM tricks (shading, etc.). I like a minimal amount of actual chrome on the windows. I've been using X forever so I like cursor follow and don't really desire a window-like experience. I've looked at awesome, but I figured I would poll and see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

An Enormous Boner posted:

Does the sending side generate checksums for every single file, and then the receiving side only generates checksums for files with matching file sizes? I might be reading that wrong.

this is how rsync works, so while it's faster int he case that you are forcing checksums on data you know it will not have changed (or singe, large files that change contents but not size or modify date); it saves work in the general case of "we're only going to check files where the size is the same" which is probably why it doesn't do that.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Horse Clocks posted:

I'm looking at building a new machine, and want to get on the GPU passthrough bandwagon for gaming.

Is there any hardware to avoid, and anything to actively go for?

Ryzen still has problems with Passthrough if you are using KVM. (You can't enable NPT correctly). It works on Xen, but then you have to work around the nVidia "bug" https://github.com/sk1080/nvidia-kvm-patcher

Passthrough is significantly easier if you have two different GPU chipsets (like two of nvidia, amd, intel).

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Horse Clocks posted:

I assumed this was the case, and I have a AMD R7, and Geforce 720 kicking around, just for the occasion.

This is my fear. I'm pretty much building this machine because I have an excuse to use CUDA for work. Which kinda limits me to Nvidia GPUs.

Might just bite the bullet, skip the cool factor, and dual-boot. I'm guessing I'd need to do a full power cycle anyway if I want to switch between work on a linux VM, and gaming on a windows VM.

nvidias aren't really that much worse than AMD. I think KVM hides the virt identifier by default so with an intel processor you should be fine.

If you have 2 monitors (or a KVM switch) and 2 graphics cards, there's no need to reboot or anything. Passthrough is really fine these days.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

there's instructions for this for practically any distro. Ubuntu here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization

In general you:
* Extract the iso FS
* chroot to the ISO
* Install packages, gently caress with settings, etc.
* unchroot
* prepare / burn / make ISO

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Martytoof posted:

I should put the time in to learn Python properly :unsmith:

But in this case it was five lines in Python so that was probably the right tool :haw:

but but my GIL :cry:

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

I helped someone trouble shoot some problems today she found compiling some programs and one of the problems was that her (Ubuntu) system could not locate memset. We googled and apparently it's provided by the "manpages-dev" package.

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/zesty/man3/memset.3.html

So my question is why? Maybe I'm not understanding something but memset should be in the standard C library. Why does libgcc not provide this?

e: Wait, maybe I am misunderstanding. The source code for that looks like it's literally just man pages. Does that mean the program we were trying to compile was checking if memset was available by checking if it had a man page? That seems really dumb.

e2: To be clear the error occurred in the configuration stage, not actual compilation. I'm not familiar with autotools (i think that's what it was), but in the configure.ac file it said memset was a "vital function" (among others) and exits the configuration if it's not found.

She probably doesn't have the libc6-dev package. Installing 'build-essential' should install everything at a base level needed to compile things.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

BoyBlunder posted:

Trying to stream from twitch.tv using Firefox on Fedora 26 live image results in me getting an error saying the plugin isn't supported.

I don't want to use Chrome/Chromium.

It works a-ok on Debian Stretch.

What gives? I thought flash was dead and I didn't need to install it?

Is there a reason you aren't using streamlink?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Too Poetic posted:

It's a gaming PC and everything is pretty new. I managed to get Arch installed and then managed to get that to freeze during boot after a restart.

How does it freeze? What's the last line on the screen?

Have you tried disabling the onboard VGA? It might be causing conflicts (getting confused and loading the intel module then switching, or something)

This is kind of a shot in the dark but given the issues you are having you also might try disabling the framebuffer. WHen grub loads use the option to get the command line then add 'nofb' afterwards, or 'vga=off' to at least see if you get through boot.

Again these are all just vauge guesses / things to try. It's interesting though you got through all of the arch install and then had issues (I assume after you exited the chroot and rebooted?)

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Too Poetic posted:

Edit: after looking at it and some google maybe I need to blacklist nouveau

This is probably correct. Also you can look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see what issues xorg is having (assuming you're using X, I suppose....)

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I use Arch and followed this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF

More or less. It shouldn't be too Arch specific, and it's not completely comprehensive (I remember having to setup networking, and a lot of tuning can't be done through virt-manager directly, but with virsh edit).

Also both AMD Processors(Ryzen & Threadripper specifically) and nVidia graphics cards have gotchas you really need to work around, but those are mentioned on the wiki.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah, I checked into that and apparently at this point to get it to work with current drivers you have to lock out some Hyper-V extensions too that commenters say actually affect performance. gently caress that noise, the 1050 is still well within the return period and Amazon has an RX 460 for $85 so I'll switch teams.

My 1080 I don't need to disable the hyper-V extensions, just kvm hidden. I'm getting almost indistinguishable performance out of my 1080, so if you didn't want to switch it might be worth trying kvm hidden.

Also both Q35 and BX440 are fine. Just make sure you're not trying to use IDE devices with Q35. the 440i emulation is just more well tested / more mature. But it's a very old architecture.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Mellifluenza posted:

POST is just a big red Lenovo splash. I'll see if there's a more 'geek' option than telling me that I bought a Lenovo laptop, just in case I hadn't noticed what I was buying when I paid over £1000 for something :-)

Sorry, detailed POST screens do not test well in market research.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Is there a available, decently-secure way to control a given systemd process/server/whatever from the web.

I want to host a game server but I want to allow others to turn it off and on without A) command line access. B) training them on command line access. Obviously I don't want such a thing to root my server and I know enough to write a dumb applet to do it but I'd rather use something that's already been hardened instead of rolling my own. Surely someone has solved this but googling has been somewhat fruitless.

I'm also open to other, non-web-centric ideas if they are reasonably easy / secure.'

EDIT: vvv Yeah thanks for the suggestions. Thinking about it I could restrict the web user's access to sudo specific commands/scripts. And run on a non-standard port.

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 14, 2018

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

i keep thinking acpi fuckery

Yeah this seems like the most likely culprit. like Linux isn't telling IBM's lovely ACPI that anything is going on so it shuts the laptop down or something stupid. but eh.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do I upgrade the firmware on a Samsung 850 Evo SSD on Linux? It looks like Samsung Magician is only available for Windows and macOS. Can I just run Samsung Magician on a Windows VM guest? I really don't want to format the thing just to install Windows just to update the firmware.

You should be able to use WinPE or similar to create what is basically a liveCD but for windows. Then you can run Samsung Magician. You can't do it from a VN unless you can pass the whole SATA controller to the Windows VM (which you can't do for instance if it's your linux boot/root/we drive)

Or if you have access to like a windows machine otherwise you could hook the drive up to it and upgrade it there. That's likely your best bet.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

I can pull it out and plug it into a Windows PC no problem. I just thought that the SSD itself needed to be formatted for Windows for Samsung Magician to be able to do it's thing with it?

I don't think that matters but I guess I don't know?? It would be strange for the firmware patcher to care about what format the drive is in, but I guess I've seen weirder things.

Now the other stuff Samsung Magician "does" I'm fairly certain only works under Windows. I don't know if Linux offers similar utilities.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

The nfs thing is a problem for me because my VM has to use some lovely VPN software to access another company's network and it does something weird that prevents the machine from accessing our internal network (which is why I put this in a VM)

Which lovely VPN software is this? Cause there's patches for most of them to overwrite this behavior.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

And if they refuse to fix the ASA, you can get alternate VPN clients that let you turn it off client side. Shrewsoft was the one I used forever but I think there's more modern ones now.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

peepsalot posted:

Alt+(menu item letter), and the assumption that a file menu exists, has been a pretty common interface paradigm that's persisted for 20+ years though.

I'm not really saying that vi should be rewritten into resembling ms edit, its already too ingrained in its own snowflake ways of doing everything.
But I would really love to see a linux compatible analogue of ms edit with some added modern IDE-like features like syntax highlighting, autocomplete, MDI / tabs, maybe treeview etc.

This is kinda what Nano (or joe I forget which) is.

Also everyone who does this does it as scripts for VI or emacs. I quite like spacemacs because esc-space brings up a menu and you can type other letter to get sub-menus and such.

But you ARE still running emacs at the end of the day.

vvv Oh sure. Hell spacemacs uses evil-mode as it's base (which makes emacs behave more like vim) bare emacs is super painful. don't do it.

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 2, 2018

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

I mean, Jaded Burnout already ruled out sshfs in their original question, but I wonder why; I use sshfs + Sublime and it works great.

Also rsub is smooth like butter.

But hey, vim and emacs (with sane scripts) are too so whatever.

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 2, 2018

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Did you try what it suggested? (apt --fix-broken install)? a very short google session suggests it's likely some broken dependencies on your end. are you masking packages or anything?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Debian at least still has an up to date i386 installation distributed on CD. That should get you basic X windows and a place to start. even when your hardware was current linux support was kind of the wild wild west so depending on graphics card and such there may be many hours of research involved in making everything work.

EDIT: Comedy answer: Setup external compilation for gentoo on your other systems and compile everything from scratch.

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 15, 2018

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Sleep/hibernate stopped working on my thinkpad after updating to fedora 28. It worked perfectly fine in fedora 27.

well click some boxes in the GUI it's that simple always

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

apropos man posted:

But I'm wondering about the security behind WOL. Is the 'magic packet' generated cryptographically when you first set it up, either by your firmware or by the OS or something? Are there measures in place to make sure that an intruder couldn't just spoof a WOL packet and turn stuff on?

No. WOL packets aren't (typically) routable, so the security is the same as all your other security preventing people from getting onto your broadcast (level 2) domain (WiFi security, physical switch access, etc.)

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 2, 2018

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

YouTuber posted:

TempleOS actually has some really clever features that make you question the implementation of things in Linux or Windows. https://tinyurl.com/y76p9fb2 at about 1:45 into the video as an example of what I'm talking about. He has images and videos built directly into the source code. The question really comes up, why can't we have images built directly into Terminals? Sometimes it takes a mentally disturbed person to break convention to allow others to notice can be improved. Throwing a theoretical example such as "ls -EP" to show thumbnails of all images in a directory inside the terminal. Unix/Linux was devised in the 70s to mainly handle math and text documents. 40 years later it's still functionally the same yet the type of files it is encountering has progressed vastly.

IPython has been around for 17 years and ELOG has been around for at least 10.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Horse Clocks posted:

The + register is also your system clipboard.

I’d give you an example, but I honestly can’t think of the actual button presses. It’s all muscle memory.

Basically instead of yanking to an alphanumeric register, use +. You can also paste from it.

It's "+yy (yank-to-system) or "+p (paste from system)

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

For phone calls...Google Voice, maybe? I've never used it but I understand it can intercall with the normal phone network.

I've used google voice through hangouts on android, linux and windows and my wife uses it on her iPhone and iPad. It's a great option and works roughly as well as any other VOIP option. (that is it's fine if you have the network for it)

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Salt Fish posted:

"Linux containers, Kubernetes, artificial intelligence, blockchain and too many other technical breakthroughs to list all share a common component - Linux, the same workhorse that has driven mission-critical, production systems for nearly two decades."

Blockchain!!!!

I'm a bit afraid of systemd artificial intelligence. Someone is going to but a kill all humans rule before asimov.d and we'll all die.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

apropos man posted:

I've dabbled in VTd passthrough with a Fedora host and Win10 guest in the past.

A couple of weeks ago I tried the whole Proton/DXVK/Steam thing on Ubuntu (https://github.com/lutris/lutris/wiki/How-to:-DXVK)

It's really, really impressive to a casual gamer like me. I found Rise of the Tomb Raider to be almost the same as Windows, Witcher 3 was great and GTA-V was very playable, with the odd graphical glitch now and then.

I don't know why Canonical don't get behind it and create Steambuntu or something, to make it simplistic for the Windows crowd to download an ISO, install, use the GUI package manager, reboot and start gaming.

There's also a handy site, here, for people ranking which Windows games play nicest.

https://www.protondb.com/

I think that there's a good bit of variation on how people's particular systems handle certain games at the moment, but it can only get more refined as the compatibility layers improve.

It's worth noting that the persistent problem with wine and everything after it has been it's always about one generation behind "current" if this doesn't matter to you then it seems to work fine.
That said I found that pass through was a fine experience as long as you don't care about dealing with the overhead of desktop virtualization. (Not performance, but the issue of having 2 "computers" 2 sets of files, 2 oses to configure poo poo on, etc.)

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

What if I use emacs vim and sublime and sometimes even that lovely notepad clone that ships with every linux de depending on circumstance

Do you use rsub w/ sublime? Cause you should use rsub with sublime.

also if you don't use emacs but use evil mode to make it more like VI, idk who you are.

edit: https://github.com/henrikpersson/rsub

Also :s/foo/bar/ works in evil/spacemacs

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 13, 2019

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I'm going to attempt to be reasonable here for anyone making the mistake of trying to take advice away from this thread:

If you already know emacs, major modes that conform to things you want to do are good, but it's probably (basically unless you're trying to program in a lisp-like) not worth learning emacs in this day and age in order to use a specific mode.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

I was looking at using AMD Ryzen CPUs, those don't have an integrated GPU and the motherboards don't provide one either.

It's also worth noting that you can't do any BIOS tuning on traditional motherboards without VGA. Server grade components have dedicated serial terminals you can use for a wide variety of purposes, but hobbiest ryzen boards aren't going to have that. (Like my taichi won't post without VGA)

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

General_Failure posted:

Holy poo poo installing all the nvidia stuff and a version of tensorflow that supports my graphics card is a rough ride. Just call me the symlink slinging slasher. The libraries are all over the goddamn place and all the CUDA 10.1 stuff is in the form of foo.so.10 so it needs so.10.1 symlinks. ANd the stuff that installed completely somewhere else needed to be symlinked in. Bazel had to be installed from a script because tf needs an oldass version to build.

Building TensorFlow is a process of trying to build it repeatedly. When it fails, finding and symlinking whatever the hell it couldn't find this time. Repeat.

I remember when building anything was basically this. Package managers have made y'all soft!

Just kidding that dance is awful and I'm glad I haven't tried CUDA on linux yet.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I've never had complete success with wine or any of the various branch-offs, though I haven't tried in years so it might be a lot better now. I had much more success with GPU passthrough, but that's not a good solution if you are trying to get rid of windows completely.

One problem wine & co. had that I don't think ever goes away is they had specific shunts for the behavior of specific games, and so if you were trying to play an often updated online game it would sometimes just stop working until someone fix whatever broke in the patch, so stuff like wow, overwatch, lol, etc. tended to be somewhat frustrating. Single player stuff fared a lot better just because it wasn't updated as much.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

fourwood posted:

^^ This is true to an extent, but I’d venture to guess that yes, you’d have an easier time with an Ubuntu or derivative than with Solus. It’s a cool distro but IME the software repos aren’t nearly as fully-loaded and supported as the bigger distros.

True, but you may have the opposite problem of wanting a package that is technically in the repo but has been on the old version for like literally 12 years now and not likely to change, so you have to download and compile it anyway.

It's just the linux life.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

apropos man posted:

How is stuff in the AUR audited? Is it very susceptible to malware sneaking in?

In short, it's not. Malware has been found before.

That's sort of the whole thing. Repo grooming isn't free, nor is it rewarding work. So you accept old packages and tighter security, or accept some risk and more user sources material.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Computer viking posted:

(HPE hardware is basically permanently one boardroom martini/coke line away from moving to their own proprietary connectors for everything. Hotplug a drive without the appropriate, DRMed, super expensive, "smart" tray, and the machine spins every fan to 100% until you power it down. This sounds like something between an angry vacuum cleaner and an air raid siren. )

This is funny cause 10 15 gently caress I'm old years ago the hp techs tried to convince me I could hotswap ram in a normal pizzabox.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

waffle iron posted:

The number of things that distros package systemd to do by default is considerably less than things systemd can do. I can't thnk of one distro that uses networkctl and systemd-timesyncd or even makes them easy to enable.

Arch installs timesyncd by default with systemd (which is Arch default now) and the article suggests it as the daemon to use. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

My favorite has always been the Gnome guy who decided that he doesn't like customizable screensavers, and the 90%+ of them that are customizable are the ones that are wrong, so nope, no settings button for you:

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=316654

this is fire though:

quote:

Perhaps it's a developer bug and not a software bug?