Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
Is there a good, lean, CrunchBang-like openbox distro that doesn't come with busybox by default? I have an older laptop I want to run Linux on as a secondary tinkering/development machine [i.e. I'd mainly have a minimal desktop, web browser and a lot of terminal sessions]. I don't have any real preference whether it's RPM or DPKG based. [Or I guess some other package manager - mainly I'd like to be able to pull down whatever APIs/tools/etc I might need pretty quickly]. Busybox is really cool for what it is, but I'd rather have a more full-featured set of the standard GNU tools [I was honestly a little surprised that 'lsof' wasn't part of Busybox].

DrankSinatra fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
I'm trying to figure out what distro to use for my daily work. I realize, to a certain extent that's a dumb question, but whatever. I'm a grad student/programmer, and I spend a solid 75% of my computer time at the command line or in Emacs. I like farting around in Slackware, because it's a Unix-rear end Linux system, and coming at it from the perspective of a dude who does a ton of command line stuff, I like how every component can basically be configured in their respective text file; it feels simple and predictable to me.

On the other hand, dealing with slackbuilds gets old really fast. I have a life to live, and I'd rather not piss it away staring at compiler output.

Is there anything out there with a robust binary package management system that's still that level of dead-simple vanilla text configuration? I thought about just doing a server install of CentOS, and installing the packages I want, but the packages in the default repos are old as hell, and I really don't want to putz with adding a bunch of extra repos. Also it seems like, even at the default setup level, CentOS has a bunch of extra enterprise cruft that I'm not interested in.

Realistically, all I need is the bleeding edge version of my compilers and text editor, a web browser, virtualbox, and Xmonad.

DrankSinatra fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 1, 2016

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
Thanks for the advice on distributions last week! I installed OpenSUSE Tumbleweed. It's nice!