Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Desktop managers just seem like unnecessary bloat to me. I only use a tiling window manager, and it works great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

isaboo posted:

Same. I use Arch Linux with i3 gaps and I love it. I really thought I'd hate it at first but hot drat it is the tits

I have the same setup as you, except no gaps.

Hollow Talk posted:

i3 for life. That said, that's not really a good answer for people who want something more like Windows or Mac.

True, most Windows and Mac users prefer using the mouse to do everything in their OS. i3 is more for people who don't like dragging windows everywhere, and prefer using the keyboard over the mouse.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Computer viking posted:

Counterpoint: The plan9 desktop seems very mouse driven, but in a very different way than windows or macos. Consider acme - it's a text ... environment where everything is text, you can select and run any and everything, shell and text file are vaguely separated, toolbars are "macros with obvious names you run by drag-selecting them with the mid button", and so on. It's very weird, I can see how it can be productive, and it is very fundamentally mouse heavy.

Ref http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/4th_edition/papers/acme/ , or perhaps https://research.swtch.com/acme .

But do you actually like using the middle mouse button?

Maybe it's just a hardware issue on my end, but on all the mice I've owned it would accidentally scroll about half the time I've had to use it. So I ended up remapping the middle mouse to the keyboard.

Also, in theory, it's more efficient to not use the mouse for text-based tasks because it takes your hand away from the home row on the keyboard. A mouse is more intuitive and easier to get used to though.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Oh okay. All of my mice have been cheap, except for a logitech one a while ago that happened to have that same problem :v:

It's fine though. I'm perfectly happy with my current layout and barely touch my mouse anyway. Vim, surfingkeys, i3, tmux, and similar things are loving amazing.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

Hot take: the best shell command is `apropos`

Apropos is just a wrapper for man -k, so man is actually the best shell command. An additional benefit is that man can find arguments to said commands, which is more likely than forgetting the name of the command itself. Apropos cannot do this.

Although, I usually just use fzf to fuzzy search my command history instead if I forget a long command that I've typed previously.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

This is not completely true - the original versions, written by Bill Joy in 1979, were completely separate utilities - and on FreeBSD they're still not just a command alias, as can be seen here:

Oh okay. I've never used *BSD so I guess I should've clarified by specifying on modern Linux systems.

Edit: Just to clarify (and this is a genuine question and isn't rhetorical), is this thread about *BSD too, or is there a separate thread for that?

The Gadfly fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 11, 2021

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

historically there has been plenty of BSD talk in here, and its not completely irrelevant

Ah okay, thanks. Yeah it makes sense to not have separate *nix based system discussion threads, as there is some commonality between the systems.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

arch is fine if you don't mind spending all day googling to install it, and then spend a few hours every month googling to fix it. I enjoyed that kind of thing back in the day, and its why I am good at googling these issues, but nowadays I just want something that holds my hand, so I use OpenSUSE. Between YaST2 and whatever that online database of every package ever is called the only thing I want for is a laptop I didn't already nuke

When I installed arch, the live usb installation image came with and autoenabled critical things that I needed for networking by default. Then, I found out that the actual installed system did not even come with any of those critical networking packages.

I think this causes new arch users a lot of grief, because most other distros automatically install a networking package as part of the installation procedure for you so that you can immediately connect to ethernet or wifi. In arch, you have to do this manually while still booted into the live usb environment, and there aren't explicit commands in the arch wiki installation guide that tell you step-by-step which packages to install. So a lot of newbies will treat the arch wiki installation guide as a step-by-step command guide and consequently miss these details, and then wonder why they can't connect to the internet. Then, they will ask on forums for help, and snarky advanced users will say "rtfm" instead of pointing out or explaining exactly where they went wrong :shrug:

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

That's just the hostfile. You need to install the actual networking packages you need before that.

The actual step is in the line:

quote:

• software necessary for networking,

Which has a hyperlink, but I think a lot of newbies probably miss this part because it's not an explicit command that they can just copy paste

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

tjones posted:

The appeal of Arch is being able to cherry pick what packages you want. The installer gives you everything needed to accomplish this. The reason I use Arch is because I'm able to quickly install only what I need and no more.

Complaining that the base package doesn't come with your favorite wifi networking client, or any other package, is kinda missing the point.

I think new linux users end up with Arch and these issues with installation because of the memes or taking bad advice from people who know better than to recommend it to new users. Anyone reading the installation guide and paying attention will be fine.

I agree with you even though my post probably came off as hating arch. Actually, my daily driver is arch, and I love using it. I just think that it's not for complete newbies or those that would rather only use linux than learn about it.

I prefer picking the packages I need, and I don't even like desktop managers which almost always come preinstalled on other distros. I just use i3 without a dm instead.

Maybe arch could include a script in the installation image to pacstrap stuff like the networking package as a cli prompt to make the installation process more automated. But then again maybe it's better to not make the arch install newb friendly as manjaro and other distros already have this covered.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

tjones posted:

I agree on all points. I also think Manjaro is a bit of a mistake as a lot of times it is passed off as "arch but for new guys" and you get people who end up in the same boat when something goes wrong.

Yeah, going from a gui one-click install process to trying to chroot into your system to fix some specific issue without a gui must be jarring.

tjones posted:

For instance, I use this to dump all of my explicit packages and redirect it to a file. My backup script runs this command and includes the file in my archive so I can easily see what was installed when and I can pull that package list to then build a new install from if needed.

Thanks for the tip. This seems useful.

My tip for backup-related stuff is to just have all your configs hard linked to a git repo. So whenever you change a config, it automatically gets reflected in that repo, and then you just need to commit the changes. You can even incorporate this (using git diff --exit-code as the conditional to check for changes) into your backup script, so that you don't have to manually commit changes. The rest of my backup script are rsync commands for the normal backup process. I think a lot of people already use git for easy access to their configs though, so it's not anything too insightful.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
A lot of applications have both user configs and system-wide configs. The user configs are usually within the user's home directory. The system-wide configs can be anywhere, but usually in /etc and /opt as others have mentioned.

The Gadfly fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 26, 2021

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Is there a simple way of turning off a usb mouse led when DPMS is in standby mode?

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
I just accidentally chown -R 'd my root directory :shepicide:

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

glad you have backups!

Well I have some bad news...

I didn't. Although, it's not that bad I guess. I was doing a fresh install on an old laptop. Still an annoying mistake though, I was about 3/4 done configuring it as a headless server.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

I'm on step 7 I guess. I don't think I'll ever use Gentoo though, because I had enough fun :airquote: trying to get stuff like ungoogled-chromium to compile.

I don't think I'll use BSD either, unless it's for official ZFS integration, and running it on a server.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

tjones posted:

If you like and are already familiar with i3 and want to keep things minimal, you can get a pretty nice looking setup going with a highly tuned rofi and polybar configuration.

I use i3 with https://github.com/greshake/i3status-rust without a DM, and I don't have any complaints.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Being able to run from a live USB doesn't mean much other than your laptop hardware generally works. Live USBs are preconfigured to run from the files you downloaded on the USB, so it's very straightforward to simply plug it in and it simply works.

The hard part is using the live USB to get the OS installed on your disk. There are usually guides for every distro, with some being easier than others. If you can't boot, then it's likely that the bootloader (GRUB in your case) is misconfigured, and/or your disks aren't partitioned correctly.

By the way, for dual-booting Linux and Windows, it's recommended to install Windows first. It's just safer this way, because Microsoft doesn't really respect other OSes on the system and can potentially overwrite stuff that belongs to the other OS.

One time I downloaded a live USB, but didn't realize that the file was corrupted until I exhausted every other possibility I could think of for why it wasn't working (yes, I know that I should verify with the checksum, but I was lazy and never had a problem with this before). I think I got extremely unlucky. This shouldn't really happen to you, but if you think you're doing everything correctly, then try redownloading the live USB image and verify the checksum.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Yes, it's safest to use separate drives for dual boot with Windows. One drive for your main OS, and one drive for :toxx:

To set it up, just follow the dual boot section of the guide/wiki for your distro. It's generally recommended to set up Windows first to ensure that the Windows installation doesn't overwrite anything.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Use fzf if you want fuzzy searching when you ctrl-R. It's extremely useful tool for that among other cli uses.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Marinmo posted:

SWAG (moved to Nginx proxy manager + mariadb)

Why did you move from SWAG to Nginx Proxy Manager? I couldn't even find out which Nginx version it's based on, and it's lacking some things that SWAG has integrated like fail2ban.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Marinmo posted:

Linuxserver.io apparently does not have the resources to maintain anything else than images known to work on Docker and are very vocal about it. Their images also love to be root (not saying this as a pro or con, just a consequence of being heavily invested into Docker I suppose). I've seen some people claiming to run SWAG through podman but none of those were rootless as far as I could tell, which is like 90 % of the reason I'm migrating. I was thinking of rolling my own solution (manually setting up a nginx reverse proxy) but the effort it'd require simply didn't seem worth it especially considering every other headache this project brings. The fact that NPM is more barebones than SWAG is, for this reason, a pro. I'm also integrating Authelia which takes care of mostly everything (this server is behind a gateway/router with only ports 80 and 443 forwarded) when it comes to security - I did look into Caddy as well but alas, no support for external authentication.

... I'm 95 % sure I'll end up saying screw it and either run everything bare metal or just going back to Docker like a shameful dog :suicide:

Oh I didn't know that SWAG only supports Docker.

I quickly installed the latest version of Nginx Proxy Manager and went into the container to see what Nginx version it's running, and it's currently on 1.19.3.1. SWAG is running 1.20 according to the docs, so it seems that SWAG is more updated to the mainline Nginx version.

I'm currently trying to decide between SWAG, Nginx Proxy Manager, Traefik, or baremetal Nginx. I thinking maybe either baremetal or SWAG is what I'll end up using.

I'm also planning on using Authelia for 2FA.

Maybe I'll just try to do a quick install of SWAG and configure Authelia to work with it. Then, if I find something lacking or run into issues, I'll take the plunge and go baremetal.

I don't particularly like or dislike Docker in general, but I guess I'll look into its security issues more and factor that into my decision too. I'm not familiar with Docker's issues because I haven't used it very much.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

uguu posted:

I'm looking for a text editor where I can select some lines, press a keyboard shortcut and it will add some characters at the end of the line.
For example I have these lines:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA
BBBBBBBBBBBB
CCCCCCCCCCCC

and I end up with

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA \P
BBBBBBBBBBBB \P
CCCCCCCCCCCC \O

Something like that.
I want to bring some order into my textfiles and write a script that sends text from a central file to focused ones, based on whatever markers I add.
If something like that already exists, that'd be swell too.

All suggestions are welcome.

Use vim for the first part. Create a macro and type qm, which starts recording the macro, then type $ and whatever you want to appear at the end of the line and press q again when you are done. Then go to a line that you want to append the marker, and type @m. This will do the same thing you just did to the line before. Now, all you have to do is type @@ to re-execute the last used macro on whichever line you want.

Second part is probably easiest with a python script. Create a dict with your markers as keys, and what you want to replace them with as corresponding values. Python can read text files line by line, so if a marker exists in a line then replace it with the corresponding value from the dict.

Edit: just realized that the poster above me beat me to recommending vim :v:

The Gadfly fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 26, 2021

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
We tend to get those design decisions because form-over-function is often chosen by 'UX designers'. It's yet another reason to not be mouse-centric, and use keyboard shortcuts instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

xzzy posted:

Desktop linux is garbage and I gave up on it a long time ago. I've been running the OS for dang close to 30 years now and for about two thirds of that it's been server only for me. Before it was because X11 was so horrible to live with literally anything else was an improvement. Now it's because Windows and OSX are pretty comfortable to do work in. OSX is my first choice but with WSL Windows has gotten pretty good too.

Props to the people that are happy with a linux desktop but I ain't one of them. :v:

DE is bloat anyway. Just use i3 window manager with the i3-rust statusbar. I haven't felt the need for a DE for years. Just set up hotkeys for opening programs with fuzzy find, and use terminal for everything else.