Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

How much tinkering are you planning to do for reasons and how much just for the sake of it?

E: I guess, what are you intending to do with this hypothetical Linux install?

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Apr 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I've only ever managed to bork my install when trying to install things outside of my package manager, and after the 3rd format I don't bother anymore. Linux as a daily system just works, provided you don't want to do the things it can't (AAA gaming) or get too deep into the poweruser space, though it's there if you want to gently caress around.

Also, Gnome 2 is the perfect desktop environment and the main reason I can't see moving away from Linux.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Thanks for the response. I'll keep that in mind when I format and start over today, I think the first time I actually went with BTRFS because it seemed fancier not knowing it wasnt stable yet.

Yeah thats basically what I did to a T. Had %90 of everything running fine, then thought to myself. Hmmm why dont I try installing this Steam/Proton business and see what thats all about. Lesson learned. It was working flawlessly before then and I was really liking it.

The native Linux steam works fine in my experience, though you should be able to grab that through apt as well. Haven't mucked about with proton.

E:

Crotchfruit posted:

KDE and/or XFCE would like to have a word with you. Really my biggest complaint about Gnome 2 is simply that Gnome 3 went crazy and I thought that means that Gnome 2 development was officially halted. Sure there are forks, but do the forks have the monetary support of backers like Red Hat IBM?

Gnome flashback is built off of Gnome 3 but keeps all the Gnome 2 goodness. Any shortcomings of it I'm not aware of, but I'm not running a mission critical system here either.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 2, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

For real though, I've been using Linux as a home desktop system for like 5 years now and it's never given me any problems I didn't make myself. Recently it's stopped even being trash for gaming with pretty much every indie release supporting. Every device I've hooked up as been plug & play, without even the wait to download drivers windows has, sound has never been an issue and my network card works fine.

The year of Linux on the desktop was years ago, there's just no one with a large financial interest in making it a popular operating system (and you'd be stupid try, but that has more to do with how small the home operating system market is, than any particular shortcoming.)

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Toalpaz posted:

I just did a system update on arch linux that killed my laptop. I know this is a pretty basic question but I like to hear people's and goon's opinions on what I, non-computer toucher and basic user, should switch distros too. I was thinking Manjaro because they're basically arch with a stable branch and more package testing, and I'm used to pacman and aur, but I'd understand if you all shouted at me that I should swap to ubunto or something.

I used arch for several years I think, and nearly all of my issues have come from the release cycle where packages don't play nicely with each other and it's annoying. I can use the wiki and do research and fix most things but it just kinda sucks having to handle that all the time.

Ubuntu, with a different desktop environment if you want. Most anything works out of the box and you have to go out of your way to really bork it.

I haven't used any other distro personally, but I've never felt a reason to either.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

If you don't mind me asking, how did a self professed "basic user and non-computer-toucher" wind up with an arch install?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

His T-Shirt, I assume.

I want to get away from dual booting on my desktop but want to keep a Linux install around for largely irrelevant reasons, and I'd like to use it on my laptop without mucking about with it's windows install.

I installed Ubuntu Mate on a USB from a live USB, but the full install isn't bootable. Google suggests that this is due to an oddity in the bootloader that gets installed vs what's on a live drive and recommends copying the one on the live drive over to the drive with the full install, but none of the resources I've found inspire me with confidence. Any goon have experience / advice on making a portable full Linux install? Should I just go with a persistent live USB?

Also, 32gb (what I had lying around) looks to be about the minimum space recommended for an Ubuntu install. Any other distros I should consider? I don't expect to keep a lot of files so storage space itself isn't much of a concern.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Removing a dual boot, would it be easier to smash the partition and restore the windows bootloader, or just nuke the drive and re-install windows?

I know this is kind of more a windows question but I figure this thread will have more experience with this sort of thing.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Volguus posted:

If you're full UEFI, just point the bios to the windows bootloader, nuke the linux partitions and you're done. If you're legacy mode (MBR), just restore the MBR from windows, nuke the linux partitions and you're done. I am not 100% sure, but you may need to boot windows in rescue advanced command line mode (no idea how it is actually called) to restore the MBR. UEFI is so much simpler.

Of course, the nuclear option is to reinstall the entire OS, nuking all the partitions in the process. This is the "we work, don't think" option, that certainly has its place. What works for you, only you can tell. There is no wrong way to do it, unless you wanted to keep data and you don't have a backup.

Well that was simple. Thanks a bunch!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

The true Linux path is just to install both.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

I want to mimic OSX as much as possible since I only installed Linux after Hackintoshing with Nvidia became a dead end. Most specifically I want the global appmenu at the top, which KDE, MATE, Budgie and others can do but GNOME developers actively fight against.

I think their point was that you can install any DE you want on top of any distro, the default one is trivial to replace.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

^^^^Gnome 3 was a mistake but classic Gnome is still around

Gnome is the main reason I use Linux for anything, but also:

The Milkman posted:

Endless futzing for dubious purposes may be the #1 linux user pastime but telling people they're doing it wrong has got to be #2

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Let's play the 'what distro should I use' game. With my main PC hooked up to a tv, I decided to revive an old one I had sitting around for things like checking emails and paying bills. Since I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on mere convenience here it's only got 4gb of ram and a 32gb SSD I had lying around in it. I've already got an UbuntuMate liveusb so 99% I'll go with that but I'm open to suggestions. All it needs to do is run a web browser and keepassX.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Yeah I was just wondering if anyone had any 'interesting' suggestions. I went with Lubuntu over Mate to save ~100Mb of memory usage, but turns out the most limiting factor is the old-rear end AMD dual core that gets up to 80% usage when loading a web page :eng99: It works fine for this purpose though.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

uBlock origin and noscript. Considered dropping noscript since I won't be don't any general browsing on this machine but for the same reason the extra overhead isn't meaningful.

That said, I did just learn my password manager stopped being developed years ago. What's the go-to choice for a Linux password manager these days, and can it import kdbx files?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Like I said, it's not really an issue, this machine only exists to pay bills with, it only has to load 6 or so webpages once a month. It's more amusing that this CPU, which was the heart of my main computer like 5 years ago, is barely up to the task of browsing the web anymore.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

F4rt5 posted:

I got a cheap HP 6305 SFF with an A8 5500B quad-core to use as a media center thing. CPU actually snappy enough for general use, deluged, emulation etc, 8 GB of RAM is enough, but the 1 TB WD Green from 2012 made everything a nightmare (and to add pain I formatted it as BTRFS lol). Not having used spinning rust for boot drives since 2013, I was surprised how bad it was.

As soon as I could I bought a new SSD and threw the older Intel 530 240 GB in the HP as a boot drive.

Sweet, sweet relief!

I wonder how long it will last, though. That Intel just crossed 82 TBW, and that's its MTBF...

What happened in that poor drives life?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Semi-relatedly, it turns out Windows 10 uses 3 gigs of RAM just to exist. Viva la Linux.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I know how to read the task manager. Admittedly there are a couple corporate tech support programs running in the background but with nothing but task manager open it's 2.7gb in use, another gig cached, only 250mb is actually "free"

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

No, just a amusing difference between it and an lightweight distro that takes a couple hundred megs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Having to learn new things was always one of linux's biggest barriers. If the technical implementation is distinct enough to satisfy the ubernerds, why should ease of use matter?