Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porkinson
Jan 20, 2015

I need some help with my homework, I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but here goes:

I need to modify the default useradd behavior so each new user gets automatically added to a few specified secondary groups, I have looked all over the internet but searching for this mainly shows me tutorials on how to use useradd or groupadd or similar unhelpful results.

I know I can do it for the default group, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it with secondary groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkinson
Jan 20, 2015

Phosphine posted:

From the "modify default useradd behaviour" i understand it as the problem not being "how do i groups", but "how do i make it so 'useradd username' always automatically puts them in groups?", maybe?

Porkinson, is this correct?

Does it need to be systemwide or is it okay if it's only for your user?

Yes this is correct, it doesn't need to be systemwide.

Thanks for any help ypu can give me.

porkinson
Jan 20, 2015

Thanks for all the help, I will look in to those commands.